Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Second Language Module

Poster: A snowHead
Couldn't find my French A level certificate, so I sent off for the workbook. Posted it back to BASI on Tuesday, had an email from them today saying I've passed, and my profile on the website is already updated.

Most impressed with the efficiency!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When i was doing my ISIA i sent in my GCSE french cert, and a letter from a ski school in Chile where i worked saying i was teaching there in spanish, and i passed with that, no need for the work book! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
freestyleandy, yeah, i could have done that. unfortunately no idea where my certificate is!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I personally like the module in which you buy the books and send the recipt to basi , and thats it Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
freestyleandy, ha ha, I'm doing that one next!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1 wrote:
freestyleandy, ha ha, I'm doing that one next!

I did that one first!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, freestyleandy, if you can provide the A-Level French certificate, does that exempt you from doing the workbook? Does GCSE French count as well or not? I've have thought not, only A-Level does perhaps, but thought I'd ask.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
beanie1, freestyleandy, if you can provide the A-Level French certificate, does that exempt you from doing the workbook? Does GCSE French count as well or not? I've have thought not, only A-Level does perhaps, but thought I'd ask.

From October the language module will be replaced by an oral exam over the phone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5, I asked about A level it definitely does, no idea about GCSE, but the language workbook is no more than GCSE level, and not an A grade GCSE for sure!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

From October the language module will be replaced by an oral exam over the phone.

i.e. do the workbook / get your exemption asap!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, I asked about A level it definitely does, no idea about GCSE, but the language workbook is no more than GCSE level, and not an A grade GCSE for sure!

Quote:

Quote:

i.e. do the workbook / get your exemption asap!!

Oh good, sounds like it's not that difficult then although it's a long time since I did GSCE French but did get A* in it so hopefully can remember French grammar and how to string a sentence together! The thing is beanie1 I've not even passed my Level 2 yet, I don't know if you can do the Second Language module without being Level 2 or above? Do you know?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, actually no, i don't think you can start ISIA modules before you've done your Level 2?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, no I don't think you can either. Shame in this instance but perfectly understandable. I will ring BASI tomorrow though and ask them if GCSE French counts. I don't expect so as surely loads of people have done GCSE French and would therefore be exempt. When I did my GCSEs it was mandatory to do at least one foreign language. Not as many people will have done an A-Level in a foreign language though as GCSEs.

Otherwise I'll just have to do the exam over the phone. I'm sure it will be reasonably simple. What sort of stuff was in your workbook?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, it was mainly related to ski instruction, parts of the body, phrases related to skiing, calling the emergency services etc. A little bit of grammar.

I'd say with a dictionary most people with holiday French could do the workbook. An oral exam will undoubtedly be harder as you're put on the spot, but i guess it's more realistic.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, yes, it's probably designed to be more "on the spot" testing after all, if you witnessed an accident and then had to suddenly remember how to tell the emergency services what had happened and where you were in French then it would be much more difficult unless you had made an effort to refresh yourself previously on the relevant language needed etc.

I'd probably just get by on the parts of the body but after 12 years of not even picking up a French book I wouldn't know where to start if I had to call the emergency services in French! Probably better that I'm tested properly than exempt anyway in that case. Shocked
snow conditions
Our tiny resort in Switzerland speaks a very dialect version of German and vitually no English inc. the instructors. My instructor the first year had just a smattering of English. When I went back the next year he told me that because he knew I would be there he had been to night school to learn more English and had been practising skiing terms in English - which I thought showed dedication to the cause - English visitors to the resort are very few and far between. This included the infamous 'look in my eyes' as he skied backwards in front of me trying to stop me looking at my ski tips!! Mind you I have to say it was no hardship to follow the instruction wink
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Our tiny resort in Switzerland speaks a very dialect version of German

Megamum, if it's any consolation, I have a degree in German and a master's in German translation and had been working with German day in day out for nearly 7 years at the time and it still took me 6 months living here before I understood Swiss German properly.
ski holidays
Megamum, while teaching skiing in chile I kind of did the same thing, I had a lesson with a Brazilian lady who spoke very little spanish or english. Her husband was working in Chile and they went skiing every other weekend and decided she wanted a lesson with me(?!) every time she went up. After two months i had managed to learn enough portugese (skiing and body terms) to teach her and she learnt some english to speak with me!!
snow report
I'm glad I shall never be a Frenchman reliant on an instructor with an ancient GCSE in French to explain how to ski.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, When I did it - 'A' Level or equivilant was required. not GCSE Sad
snow conditions
I'm in France this week and if it rains will be doing my workbook Blush must get it done soon as i have no chance on an oral exam Embarassed
snow report
ski, pam w, no, GCSE is unlikely to be accepted I should imagine, and only fair too in my opinion. The same could be said for someone who did an A-Level even, in French a very long time ago and hasn't spoken a word of French since, although of course it's a much higher standard than GCSE level demands.....as we all know unless you keep foreign languages up it's very difficult to suddenly start speaking the language again just like that at a moment's notice without practice or revision of bits and bobs.

Besides, pam w, even if my GCSE was accepted, I'd make sure I knew enough French/whatever language for what I needed, personally I like to be able to do my job, or any job I do, well, and if that means speaking the language, well, then I'd learn it again not just get the exemption and leave it at that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy