Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus info / advice required

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at Serfaus for March next year and hoping some snowHead s know a bit more about it. What I'm trying to find out:

• Serfaus vs. Fiss - linked villages in the ski area, Serfaus sounds like it has a bit more going on, is it the better base?
• Anything for non skiers to do? We'll have 2 non skiing grandparents who will be doing most of the baby minding, interesting village / shops etc.
• Hotels look pretty expensive, ideally looking for s/c apartment, anyone know anywhere or snowHead have one to rent, we're 6 plus an infant
• Is mid late March likely to be OK there snow wise, seems pretty high for Austria so think should be alright?

Any other info or help as well greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
first off its 100% serfaus as opposed to fiss. we skied serfaus for a few days end of last season as we were checking it out for a group trip for 2009. sking conditions were v good for the time of year + the weather was schorching hot so should be ok for your dates. it is a pretty village with no traffic as they have an underground train which runs from the end of the village to the gondolas on the other end with 3 stops on the way so where ever you stay is convenient for sking.
you are correct in saying the hotels are expensive as we checked some of them out and we ended up staying in an apartment which was very nice,think it was called the hotel garni alpina(garnis are b+b's)there is a huge range of apartment accom there and they mostly look very nice at reasonable prices. all accom is listed on the web site, think its www.serfaus.co.uk . all info you need is on this site like opening /closing dates, lift prices, town map which is important as you will see all the accomodation marked on it with the train stops marked with a yellow 'H' so if like us you are a bit lazy then pick an apartment near one train stops. drink prices are very reasonable with food being a little more expensive and possibly not a large choice, but if you eat in there are a few good supermarkets.
there not much to do if your not sking except the usual few shops, but the town itself is a beautiful traditional type austrian town and its lovely just to walk around, the town of landeck is only about 1/2 hr away by car, not sure what its like
overall even though we were only there 3 nights we were very impressed with serfaus and we have been sking for 11 years, each year a different resort and this rates with the best. cannot understand why its not more well known as it has everything one could ask for in a ski resort.
as you may already know ryan air fly from stanstead and dublin to friedrichshafen in germany which is an easy 2+hr drive and the prices on this route are usually v cheap.
hope this helps as i have got a lot of help from people on this site and want to give something back.
let me know how you get on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rowlski, Serfaus. Excellent place. If you do a search on this site you'll find that it has cropped up quite a bit. Luckily most of the sheep still flock to France so these places are still relatively undiscovered. The grandparents could get bored there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks creedgearoid, sounds encouraging. Could you still ski back down to the resort late season? That was one concern as understand its very sunny as you say which is good but made me wonder if it would be lifts back to resort mid to end of March.

Definitely looking at the Ryanair flights, I'll check out the website a bit more, hoping for some good winter walking trails for the non skiers. I'll let you know if I find any more useful info!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, thanks thats my main fear - we'd been to Saas Fee before and they loved that, nice village good bit of walking etc. Bit concerned there may not be enough to keep them happy - bar the screaming grandson that is Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My view that Serfaus isn't sold like a hot cake because its next door neighbour Ischgl and the St Anton nearly opposite get everybody's attention. These resorts are bigger, more upmarket and are more famous.

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is a fully linked resort so as a skier/boarder staying in Fiss (or Ladis) is the same as in Serfaus as far the piste is concerned.

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is sold as a family friendly resort so it has more facilities for non-skiers and they are promenient at the resort. I haven't stayed there before so couldn't comment on the accommodation. I would agree that it is a better choice than going to France as there are less people, so one does get space and people respect each other.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes you can certainly ski all the ways back to resort even do it was fairly slushy by evening time when we skied it. but as i said before it was very warm, reckon it was in the low twenties. we stayed above the lower slopes until it was time to head home in the evening.
i remember the heat so well because i stupidly got my large forehead and noes badly sunburnt.
just checked with the boss about the dates and it was 1st-2nd +3rd of april so cant imagine late march would be a prob.
also just remembered for more convenience there is a ski rental and depot just at the base of the slopes by the gondala
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anyone know about the offpiste possibilities there? I heard there's a lot... thinking of a New Year stay (of course I know we take our chances on snow cover)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
creedgearoid, sounds good then for mid - late March skiing back to resort, I know it shouldn't be the be all and end all of a decision but I do like to be able to get back to resort on skis rather than the lifts.

saikee, I'm interested to find out what facilities it has for the non skier as Bode Swiller says could be a bit boring for the grandparents. For them a nice looking village with a reasonable range of shops, cafes etc. with some winter walking trails should do the trick. The Serfaus website does indicate it has some marked trails but the english at least doesn't give as much detail as mihgt be useful. From the pics the village does look decent.

Definitely agree, I prefer the less marketed Austrian and Swiss resorts for feel and atmosphere than the mega-resorts. I have had good holidays in places like Val Thorens but like all the moutain restaurants and the skiing ambience in Austrian resorts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
While I skied Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis I noticed there are big reserved areas at the base level for non-skiing events. While traveling in the lower part of the mountains I saw some colorful fun-fair styled lifts, swings and facilities obviously for children to ride or play with other than just skiing. They weren't moving at the time I passed them or I wasn't paying attention to those in operation but the resort appeared to me to live up to its claim that it is a place for the family.

The piste map does indicate a large Family Park Serfaus at top of the 3 lifts from the Serfaus station. The remaining 4th lift is Sunliner for traveling to Fiss which appears to have it own KidsCentre.

You will have a good idea of the facility if you request a piste map from the site.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon wrote:
anyone know about the offpiste possibilities there? I heard there's a lot... thinking of a New Year stay (of course I know we take our chances on snow cover)

There's lots of 'inbetween the pistes' and 'a quick dive through the trees' stuff. New Year is likely to be busy but I'd expect it to get tracked out a lot slower than the big resorts as only a small percentage of skiers go off piste. (based on my own experience and oher quotes I've seen on the internet).

http://www.bergfex.com/serfaus-fiss-ladis/panorama/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rowlski, We stayed in the Alpina hotel garni apartments last year in January, the apartment was very nice with a good location because of the underground.
Talking of location I would steer clear of the accommodation in the bottom left hand corner of the map, as you would need to use your car or a taxi to get to the lifts and the town.
I would say any where near the underground would be good. If you do go make sure you don't miss the firework display, and the night skiing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks skid & slide, had a look at the Alpina's website and the appartments look ideal, sending them an inquiry shortly. Ta for the tip re bottom left area of town. I'd still rather do DIY but have also found that Inghams are now doing packages to Serfaus (admittedly not many) but seems the TOs have discovered Serfaus now.

Another question, anyone know who far / long a journey it is from Friedrichshafen? Realistic or better to stick to Insbruck?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy