Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie - Can you ski cheaply for Feb 09 half term?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, I'm new to the boards with 11 years skiing behind me.

After a successful trip to Heavenly, USA in March 08 where my 4 year old son skiied for the first time I would love to build on his confidence and ski again next year. However, as he starts school in September I am restricted to school hols. Christmas is out, Easter is late this year, so it looks like Feb half term or nothing.

I can't believe the prices! I knew I'd have to deal with this but even so! I have spent the last three days searching the internet for something reasonable (less than £500 pp half board) and come up with zippo! Chances are it would just be me and him as OH is not as keen and fancies a week to himself at home!

Any suggestions? Maybe some independent chalets/hotels that are not so pricey? My only requirement for the resort is that they have a good ski school with English speakers for my son.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dbaskls, welcome to snowheads Kathy

at age 4 / 5, my personal view point is that a child gets much more out of a week skiing than school, espcially if you go somewhere like france and immerse them in the school - at that age, although the teachers do need to speak english, children will communicate in almost any language. I'm sure some of the snowheads who do have children will be along shortly to give you a better view, but my stance is that until the agre of 15, one week per year out of school for a skiing holiday is no bad thing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dbaskls, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You've asked the most difficult question, and frankly the answer is "no". You can't ski cheaply at half term. If you can't ski at Christmas your best options are:

a. ski much more cheaply at Easter, or
b. take junior out of school, he's not doing his A levels for a few years yet!

Having taken my kids out of school for ski holidays for years (youngest now 25) I think the current obsession with not taking 5 year olds out of school is misplaced. A holiday together, just the two of you, would be lovely and infinitely better for him than a week in the reception class at infants school. Contrary to the scare stories in the Mail you won't get sent to prison for taking a child with an otherwise good attendance record out of school for a week, and you'll save a load of dosh, if you go in mid January. Write to the school and ask permission;they prefer to avoid unauthorised absence.

However, Easter should be fine, though it is quite late next year. Aim to go somewhere high - for example Val Thorens. Easter is often super, with nice long light days and warmer temperatures, which are great for littlies. There's a lot of recent snowheads discussion on skiing at Easter - and lots of arguments about taking kids out of school, too. wink. Let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dbaskls, welcome to snowHead - as nbt, says, could you not consider a week out of school in say, late January or mid to late March? We do take our two sons out of school for one week's skiing (they are now 13 and 9) and whilst next season may be the last one because the exams are looming, neither have suffered academically and have both had the huge confidence boost of learning and developing a new skill. All parents will have their own view on this, but at 4, it may be worth considering Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dbaskls, my post was written simultaneously with nbt's. Great minds think alike. You'll get some other views, I'm sure!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dbaskls,
This year seems particularly difficult to get cheap deals at half term as everyone has the same one.

If you can't do the out of school thing I would go for Easter. We have been going at Easter with our kids since that age and always had a good time. Youngsters don't seem to be in the slightest fazed by the softer snow. Unless it is a poor snow year I would not be to bothered by going to hugely high resorts either though a bit of altitude and north facing slopes help. We have had excellent holidays in Serrre Chevalier with our children in April, last couple of years we have gone higher to lengthen the skiing late in the day as the children have got older.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Unless it is a poor snow year I would not be to bothered by going to hugely high resorts either

No, it often isn't necessary. Our apartment is at 1500 and the bulk of the skiing between 1600 and 2000m and we've skied past mid April in each of the last five seasons. But if you have to book in advance, it's maybe wise to be on the safe side. But I agree kids don't care about slushy snow! I have a photo of my daughter at 5 years old, grinning hugely at the ski school races in a little Austrian resort, with as much grass as snow beneath her skis. And that was mid January (when she should have been at school, as should her big brothers who are looking on proudly)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dbaskls, Welcome to snowheads. There is no problem with Easter even when it's late. You should look at resorts with high skiing (not necessarily high resorts). For example Val Thorens is at 2,300m at the village but the highest skiing is 3,100m. Les Deux Alpes is at 1650m but the highest skiing is 3,600m. It doesn't take a genius to see which resort has more high skiing available! wink Any resort that has summer skiing would be fine though. Rent an apartment (preferably from another snowhead), eat in and check out the cheapest way to get to the resort before deciding on train plane or car. Very Happy

I would also say that you should seriously look at taking him out of school. He should learn and practice a few words of the language of where you go and preferably ski in a non-all-english-speaking kindergarten. This, as nbt, says, will give him more education than a week in reception class. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know its of the beaten track but have you thought about slovakia, Jasna is quite a good little resort, most people speak english and there are a few british run independant ski companies that operate in the area, its also much much cheaper than the alpes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Probably shouldn't say this as I am a teacher, but I think 1 week out of school doing something they like e.g. holiday of anysort does any child of any age some good as when they come back they are fresh and more ready to learn.

As for suggestions for half term: go to a smaller less well known resort as it tends to be cheaper!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dbaskls,

1) Go a bit off the beaten track. As JimSearle says, this could be somewhere very 'outre' like Eastern Europe, but you'll also make savings by staying in satellite villages rather than resort centres, or going to slightly less well-known places.
2) Go independent, not tour operator - in general, though occasionally TOs do have ridiculous bargains.
3) Self cater.

Last half-term we did La Thuile in Italy for (... digs last year's spreadsheet out of hiding) £300pp each (flights, car hire, and 7 nights accomodation).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are considering a few resorts for Easter let me know and I'll tell you the snow record of those resort for that week for (each of) the last 15 years.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dbaskls,

You could wait to see if there are last minute deals. This is ok if you're flexible but you might end up being disappointed (and worst you might disappoint your 4 year old).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
If you are considering a few resorts for Easter let me know and I'll tell you the snow record of those resort for that week for (each of) the last 15 years.

Rea... really? How do you do that then?!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, snowball is actually a snowizard.
snow report
dbaskls, Try www.otp.co.uk . They don't surcharge for half-term and I've used them twice for half term skiing trips, and last year at Easter. You might struggle for cheap flights, but can you drive out ? They only do Switzerland, but don't think that that means expensive, it compares well against France.
snow report
paulio, I am tempted to say that as a snowball my snow ancestors have family records: but actually the Ski Club of GB has Historical snow records (but only members can access them).
ski holidays
That's actually an amazingly useful resource, and surprising that in the brave new world of the internet that such data isn't easier to come by.
snow report
Generally these figures start in the last week in November and include the first 3 weeks of April. One thing that I have noticed looking at snow records is that in a large number of resorts the snow depth on upper slopes is actually at its deepest in mid April and most of the others it will have declined from a maximum in late March (but of course in many places the lower slopes will have been thinning for many weeks or in some low resorts the snow may have disappeared completely). Of course these figures will to some extent depend on where they are measured and I don't know if there is any consistency about that from resort to resort. I assume the ski club relies on figures supplied by the resorts themselves.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-07-08 11:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Presumably they measure the depths as close to a snow cannon as possible Smile
snow report
paulio, I think it has to be natural snow only - it isn't measured on runs. I assume they find a flatish spot, not in a gully or on a ridge. But obviously the orientation of the slope in relation to prevailing winds and sun makes a difference
latest report
We are a party of 2 adults and 2 children who want to go to La Thuile in half term. Paulio has managed this for £300pp. That's amazing. Tell me how.
snow conditions
SpongeBob, I did try to send you a pm but as you are Down A Crevasse, it won't go to you! PM me if you need help, although if you are only looking at La Thuile, I can't assist, sorry
ski holidays
SpongeBob, I think you needed to have planned it sometime ago really. I'm paying £350 each for 2 of us to Zermatt but I booked the flights as soon as they came out and the apartment at the same time.
snow conditions
SpongeBob wrote:
We are a party of 2 adults and 2 children who want to go to La Thuile in half term. Paulio has managed this for £300pp. That's amazing. Tell me how.

1) Book the cheapest flights you can find the very moment they are released. If you have not done this, then you're stuffed.
2) Spend months on the internet searching and emailing people in your best google-translated Italian until you find a cheap s/c house.
3) Hire a small cramped car for the transfers.
latest report
SpongeBob wrote:
We are a party of 2 adults and 2 children who want to go to La Thuile in half term.

I think Interski go there but not sure if they do family trips though but I know they do school groups so may be worth a call to ask them

dbaskls wrote:
I have spent the last three days searching the internet for something reasonable (less than £500 pp half board) and come up with zippo!

The probelm you are going to have is flights - they simply ain't available on the cheap over half term. You are looking at around £800 fully inclusive inc. flight, 3* hotel, pass, ski hire, etc. You may be able to drive over yourself if you can find some accom on the web and book it before you go that may save you a little, but over half term, as paulio said, you needed to have sorted this out ages ago. You "can" still get half term hols for around £800 (make sure this is "fully" inclusive) but they are few and far between
ski holidays
with ref to skiing at easter we are going the 2nd week and are saving £700 in comparison to going over the easter bank hol weekend,
snow report
cheap at half term ? try this
Quote:

Freedom Direct is offering a 7-night ski break in Andorra for £279 per person, including meals and FREE transfers. We rarely see prices under £300 for peak-season ski, and transfers alone can cost over £100!

You can fly from Gatwick on 25 January; 1 and 8 February, 2009, or choose to fly from Manchester or Birmingham for an extra £25 per person.

Accommodation is at the 3-star Solana Hotel, in the centre of Arinsal, on a half-board basis. The hotel is within easy walking distance of a ski gondola, and features a Turkish bath, a sauna, a games room and a bar/nightclub.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
None of those dates are half term week.
latest report
paulio, so they're not - what a con !
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Write to the school and ask permission;they prefer to avoid unauthorised absence.

I think that depends on the school. Writing to my daughter's school doesn't guarantee authorised absence. I wrote recently to ask if I could take her out for a day (well 1/2 day as they finish at 12 noon for their first term in reception) and it was unauthorised. The reason for the request? Her cousins, who she sees maybe three or four times a year, were visiting for the weekend. I took her out anyway.
ski holidays
geetee, I think it's getting silly and I don't blame you. It's worth asking first, though, and absences will sometimes be authorised.

Even if money were no object I wouldn't want to take a family holiday at half term if I could possibly avoid it. Especially this season. I've driven north past the queues driving south and shuddered at the thought. We did take our kids out of school, always early January in those cheapest possible weeks and I'd be inclined to do the same now, despite the increasing disapproval of schools.

There are worse ways of treating your kids. For example taking them on a ski holiday at half term and then dumping them with strangers all day rather than having fun together. wink
latest report
pam w, I completely agree that it is geting silly. She's only in reception. I would much rather ski in January not just for the money but because it will be less crowded. I'm a bit nervous that next half term in Morzine will be a scrum. My daughter's school is really into sports so I'm hoping that I can capitalise on that and show that she wouldn't just be playing for a week, she'd be learning a sport. There's another family who have a child in the same class and an older one. The dad is into ski racing and when I spoke to the mum a while back she said that it was their intention to go in January. I need to catch up with them and ask if they've booked and had it authorised.

Of course, we will be 'dumping her' for a bit now and then 'with a stranger' - well a nanny from a company we used last Easter - so DH and I can go off and ski for a bit together. Very Happy She'll get to play with other children so I don't think she'll mind too much. However, I'm really looking forward to us all having time to ski together as a family. That will be great.
ski holidays
geetee, it's the people who leave the kids all day that worry me - somebody takes them to ski school, picks them up, gives them their lunch, plays, give them their early children's tea etc etc. Such a lost opportunity for some quality time together, especially for fathers who have long working days and don't spend much time with their children. For most families there are only a few precious years of being able to ski together with small children. If parents can't be bothered to wait for them when they're little and slow, and wipe their noses every 200 metres, and take them in for a hot choc when they're cold, how can they expect the kids to be tolerant and slow down a bit for mum and dad when they can all ski like rockets!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
how can they expect the kids to be tolerant and slow down a bit for mum and dad when they can all ski like rockets!

Laughing true enough
ski holidays
It might not be what what you're looking for but if you look at http://www.skimeribel.co.uk which takes a coach to the alps they have some very reasnobly priced self catered apartments for half term. I used them last febuary half term with some mates as I was doing my A levels and found the coach journey to be fine. You can also squeeze in an extra days skiing going by coach. I wish I'd learnt when I was 4 or 5
snow report
We settled on Jasna in Slovakia as we could still get cheap flights to Bratislava. Will report back on the experience, but it looks as if prices are creeping up there and may do so again when the Slovak Republic adopts the Euro in January. Opted out of France because it may be busy. Same may apply in Jasna, but we were in need of going somewhere different.
snow report
The Pyrenees still have some cheap flights (e.g. Lourdes-Tarbes airport), also Sierra Nevada in Spain (Granada, Murcia or Alicante). Pyrenees less risky for snow.
ski holidays
beequin, have a good time - should certainly be different Very Happy
snow report
dbaskls, I agree with all those who have said take him out of school, he'll benefit more from a week in the mountains and fresh air and being with you than at school. To keep the costs down we took our two sons out of school every year until they reached secondary school age. It's a particularly good idea in 2009 as so many half terms fall in the same week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy