Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reflective Jackets driving regulation in France

Poster: A snowHead
I understand that it has recently become compulsory to carry reflective jackets for all occupants in a car when driving in France - does anyone know if the car hire companies provide these? Also, if hiring from the swiss side of geneva airport presumably they wouldn't include the jackets anyway?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the hire co's but as well as a refelective bib for the driver a triangle is compulsory since July Ist as well Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loatie, check out the driving in France pages on the AA's site, all the info there. The mandatory reflective jacket has been postponed until 1 October now, but it's worth checking with the hire company in question. If they don't supply them you can pick them up in any services here as it is now only Germany of the surrounding countries that doesn't require them. They don't cost the earth
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

They don't cost the earth

Only a couple of £ in QD stores
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Poundland do them for …… £1. They are light and can be easily carried in hand luggage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What next? Lifejackets? There are an awful lot of rivers a car might end up in in France. Parachutes perhaps, after that. You wouldn't want to drive off the Millau viaduct without one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman wrote:
What next? .....

Helmets.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch wrote:
loatie, check out the driving in France pages on the AA's site, all the info there. The mandatory reflective jacket has been postponed until 1 October now, but it's worth checking with the hire company in question. If they don't supply them you can pick them up in any services here as it is now only Germany of the surrounding countries that doesn't require them. They don't cost the earth

Signs in Petrol station in Bourg St Maurice yesterday say they are compulsory since July 1st Confused Confused Maybe delayed for foreigners?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, according to the AA, it was originally scheduled for 1 July but was postponed to 1 October at the last minute.

Linds, precisely Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If this is compulsory for all cars travalling in France will the car hire firms not supply them along with snow chains and warning triangles?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if it's a legal req then i'm sure car hire companies in France will have to BUT we usually hire from the swiss side of GVA as do most others i think.........
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's not all. Starting July 1, 2010 all occupants must wear so called "michelin" suit in and within 15 metres of the car. The suit must maintain at least 100 kPa for men (14.5 psi) and 80 kPa for females and children under 13 (about 11.6 psi). No word why the different pressures. All gas stations are in the process of upgrading their air pressure stations to facilitate the increased demand for air. The suit will incorporate reflective patches as well.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For the mockers: please come and stand next to me without your hi-viz when we are stranded on the side of a motorway.

Its a good idea, and carried in our car in the UK as a matter or course anyway (£2 from Tchibo) - its just some people need a little encouragement.

I believe they are also compulsory in Italy and Austria?

And perhaps a more moot point: are we advocating the Dawinian theory on the basis that the poor sod running into you won't suffer trauma, but having had the stoopid leave the gene pool is on balance a good thing?

This is not like just wearing things for your own protection (helmets anyone?), it also helps the unsuspecting motorist who is about to hit you, potentially avoid a life changing incident too ( and yes, I am aware of the irony in that last phrase).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The French Police are so unpredictable and can implement their harsh rules at the drop of the hat - last week my wife had a EURO 90 on the spot fine as she pulled away from the motorway ticket barrier as my son was putting his seatbelt on after just taken the ticket. She reckons max 5 metres without a seatbelt on - they followed her for 20 mins before pulling her over and taking her off the motorway to a cashpoint so she could pay the fine. All fairly scarey for a woman on her own with 2 young children.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I heard from my insurance broker that the law came in on 1st July, but because all the shops ran out of vests, the police are not actively enforcing the law until October.
latest report
alti - dude, that does sound horrible, and OTT; sympathies for your wife. JimW is right about the vests though. My dad worked for the AA and (having started at 14 as a messenger boy, and with a break for WW2) ended up as Road Services Manager in the midlands. He went to several funeral services for his patrols killed on the motorway hard shoulder - and that was WITH all the gear, hi vis vehicles, etc. They always, of course, end up the dangerous side of the member broken down, to give them a lee. My dad was not an emotional man but it really cut him up when these guys, almost always with families, died in this way. It's horrendously dangerous being stuck at the side of a road like that, having hi vis vests is just a sensible step to take, and they're cheap as chips.
snow report
From Sept cyclists in France will also be required to wear hi vis jackets at night and in poor visibility conditions.
snow report
Big White Lines, if you really are new to sHs (I think there ay be several with multiple sH names) welcome aboard.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Big White Lines, if you really are new to sHs (I think there ay be several with multiple sH names) welcome aboard.

Thank you. I am indeed new to Snowheads, but i've posted on Natives for about 3 years. Just decided to pop over here and see what it's all about! Very Happy
ski holidays
Big White Lines, hope you enjoy your visits here. We are mostly harmless - though there can be a little blood-letting in Bend Zee Kness - and bizarre arguments in Apres. Helps keep boredom away. Very Happy
snow report
Be seen be safe !!!!
snow report
Big White Lines,
Quote:

i've posted on Natives for about 3 years.

Welcome to snowHeads Very Happy I thought I had seen that name before!
snow report
Just come back from a few days in the sun in the South of France and hired a car at Toulon airport from Eurocars. No sign of a high vis jacket.
latest report
From the AA web site

Stop Press *
A law concerning the compulsory carrying of a reflective jacket (EN471) and a warning triangle (ECE R27) in France came into force on 1st July 2008. However, this regulation will not be enforceable with on-the-spot fines until 1st October 2008, when the fine will be between 90 and 135 Euros.
The French Road Safety Department has now confirmed that:
From 1st October 2008 all drivers in France, including drivers of vehicles registered outside of France, must have one warning triangle and one reflective jacket in their vehicle. This does not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles.
However, we've recently heard reports via our port shops of some British motorists experiencing difficulties and being fined for not carrying reflective jackets. We therefore strongly recommend that motorists visiting France now carry a triangle and at least one reflective jacket inside the car.
18 July 2008 © Automobile
snow report
I am not carrying a warning triangle on my bike hehehe
latest report
Changing the subjet - but still on reflective jackets:

When working my second season in Dolomites we had a couple of new chalet staff who'd never skied before. We told them that in Italy the law is that all beginners have to wear reflective jackets until they'd passed a test...we said it was a requirement for work that they had to pass their test within two weeks. They were VERY nervous...but very attentive learners!! It worked a treat - and greatly entertained the rest of us Smile
snow conditions
Our car we hired from Turin Airport 2 weeks ago had a reflective jacket in its glove compartment.
snow report
Christopher, reflective jackets have been compulsory in Italy for some time now, so it's good to know the hire companies provide them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, I doubt that the Italians would then provide a reflective traingle with their hire cars. Although we never opened up under the boot it may have well been there. That could be problematic if your hiring a car in Italy and driving it in France as we plan to do for our annual skiing trip.
snow conditions
jtr, Excellent tip thanks. Bought a couple yesterday for our next trip to France. Bargain!
They pack away in one of the underseat drawers in the Touran.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, Awww I was going to wear the one I use when riding the the horse that says "Pass Wide and Slow" - I'm not sure if the wide bit refers to the horse's bum or mine........ Toofy Grin
snow report
bev bish, The Boss has one. I find it very funny Very Happy
ski holidays
bev bish, Actually it is me that needs that one, especially when skiing! Just make sure I put a colon after the first word to keep the pedants away!

In the interests of veracity, by the way, I need to record the truth that my wife's bum remains delightfully narrrow. I have no comment to make about that of the horse.

We do communicate by means other than the internet (Bev and I that is). She is in the kitchen and I am in the lounge!

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, were you referring to what is inside a colon? wink
latest report
Christopher, nearly all the cars we have hired from Turin had a warning triangle somehwere in the boot, either clipped into the boot lid. or in the spare wheel compartment. However they would not be that difficult to tuck into your luggage if you were worried.
snow report
right all, thanks to Snowheads I now have my reflective jackets, my warning triangle and my peage pass.....anything else needed to drive across France?

regards,

greg
ski holidays
kitenski,
Beam deflectors
GB sticker
First aid Kit
Good map/atlas
Via Michelin route print out (incl. speed cam locations.)
snowHeads suggested routes are here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32996&highlight=route
insurance policy
driving licence (both parts)
Log book (or V whatever it is these days.)
spare bulbs

Are you travelling with kids? 'cos thats another whole list Toofy Grin

are you travelling with children?
snow report
Cheer boredsurfin, good list

yes, I am travelling with children! Have dual screen DVD lined up Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-08-08 11:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
kitenski, how old, the children not the DVD Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
kitenski, how old, the children not the DVD Toofy Grin

5 and 8

Route is

Leeds -> Dover

Calais to first night stop off LOGIS HOTEL
DOMAINE SAINT-PAUL
Sur D321.
27480 LYONS LA FORET (FRANCE)

Logis to Saint Julien des Landes http://www.camping-la-garangeoire.com/en/index_en.htm

Stay a week there, then drive down South to Moliets-et-Maa http://www.alternative-aquitaine.co.uk/mer_golf_mol.htm

Week at Moliets, then drive back to HOTEL LOGIS
AUBERGE DE MULSANNE HOTEL ARBOR
158, route de Tours.
72230 MULSANNE (FRANCE)

then Calais -> Dover -> Leeds....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy