Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

... some MORE Icebreaker deals ...

Poster: A snowHead
You might be intertested in this source as well ... I picked up some great Icebreaker bargains which I couldn't get here .... less than half-price! from bivouac in New Zealand. Great people to deal with ... free postage, no hassle - just got my delivery & without any taxes this end! (Don't know if I was lucky, or whether there aren't any)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2seasons have them half price at the mo too
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC, why did you have to go and do that - now I've just gone and spent a load of money Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ, .... if you look at it, as no doubt you will, from a womans perspective Toofy Grin .... you are saving money ...... Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC, too right Very Happy And you get so many NZDs to the GBP, it seems like even more of a bargain Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, which Icebreakers did you get from the NZ site out of interest?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's a very kinky picture with the sheep, and the sheep-girl, isn't it? Which garments do those in the know recommend for skiing - base layer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, The jury is out....IMV..some say Merino doesn't dry out as well/quick and I favour this POV.. so I only run Merino as the base on very cold days..

I always use a Micorfleece rated around 100 as a base and then vary the mid layer to account for temp variations. I think this is good down to about -15. I'd put the Merino ( as a 4th layer ) below -20. That is my thinking and works for me...so you would haver to know how you run with the kit you have... All my microfleeces work like that for me...so no surprises/varables there...I just have to get a temp check in the day.

If I am easily too hot walking to the lifts I will have got it wrong...and I prefer to run cool anyway...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, JT, when I first bought some sets of thermals I bought Helly Hansen Lifa and I must admit I have found them to be absolutely excellent. I bought Helly Hansen because 1) a friend of mine at the time whose husband was in the army said he wore Helly Lifa when on duty because it wicks when it needs to and is warm, plus they used to ski quite a bit and swore by them and 2) at about £25 a time per top/bottoms they were a bit more reasonable than the other brands, plus I think I managed to get some in the sales for a bit less than that. Very Happy

Subsequently I saw an Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 top I liked the look of and some Bodyfit 200 leggings and so I tried them out to see what the difference was, having heard a lot of rave reviews about merino. I didn't find the leggings as warm as my Helly Hansen stuff I must admit and they did look thinner material because I could see my skin through them ever so slightly. The top was lovely and comfy but I felt chilly in it because my back felt wet in the Icebreaker and that didn't happen in my Helly's.

What I have found them to be good for, is for when it's a very cold day and I want to wear two tops or two bottoms, the Helly's are a bit too snug fitting on me to put one over the other comfortably so I've been wearing my Icebreaker top and bottoms as a sort of mid layer over the top of my Hellys if you like instead of a base layer. It has to be pretty cold for me to be doing that though, normally I just wear the one pair.

Thing is, each to their own and I know some people swear by merino, I did prefer the Helly's as I say but it does depend from individual to individual. I've since bought some North Face ones to try as well and they seem like they're going to be comfortable, lovely and soft they are and the leggings in TNF range are as flexible as a pair of 40 deniers and look like that too. Very Happy Time will tell. I can try them in Tignes pam w and feedback to you on the spot. Laughing

Also-some might think I'm mad but I wear my Helly Lifa's whether it's chilly Dec/Jan or warmer Mar/April. I find them ever so comfortable and wicking if warm outside/warm if cold outside, whatever the weather I've got them on. Plus my salopettes are more comfortable with a liner underneath Very Happy

Oh, pam w, a good tip I've found-I always wear a wicking sports bra and wicking sports style (not the usual M&S cotton briefs for example) under my Helly's. Reason being, a BASI instructor I met once who used to sell Patagonia stuff years ago told me that there's not much point wearing wicking thermals of any kind if people wear their usual cotton pants/boxers underneath them. Either don't bother at all or wear proper underwear that wicks. He was so right about that I found in my experience. I got some cheap fiver each Lowe Alpine's short style ladies briefs in the sales reduced from £15 a pair Shocked and they're blinkin' marvelous, no cold lower back for me anymore! So I'm glad this guy told me that. They're not the sort of briefs I would want to be wearing on a day to day basis mind, only for outdoor sports/skiing.

If I only went skiing once a year though, I wouldn't spend as much money on all this stuff. But with the quite high amount of skiing I do now I find comfort to be of upmost importance.

JT, now onto you, now have I read it right that you wear the 100 microfleece as the base as in next to your skin? I've got a North Face TKA 100 fleece top (is this the same as what you're talking about?) and it wouldn't feel right to me having that on instead of a Helly first? Is that what you do then? I'm a bit puzzled as to what you meant.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, JT, on the subject of wool though, I do find that Smartwool are the best ski socks I've found so far, lovely and comfortable, very supportive and padding on the shins and ankles. Completely non smelly although I do wear a fresh pair everyday mind, and Falke are really good too in my experience with the padded bits. Wouldn't buy anything else in the sock department now I've found those two brands.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, I've had the opposite experience with HH and Icebreaker. I feel sweaty in my HH but never in my Icebreaker, even when I've had a rucksack on and my icebreaker is wet to look at underneath the rucksack ( No I'm not very ladylike Twisted Evil ) I have relagated my HH to cycling to work but even then if I've been sweating and I don't change out of it right away I will feel a bit chilly, something I never feel with the Icebreaker.

I got a 260 weight Icebreaker top which is quiet warm and was wearing it with a jacket on its on when it was warmer and with a fleece/softshell and hardshell when it was very cold ( top of Matterhorn in a blizzard). I also got a thinner top, I think its 190 weight Icebreaker and I find on the average ski day I would be warm enough with this and the thicker Icebreaker on top then a thin jacket so no bulk at all which is nice as it stops the mitchelin man look you can get when you layer up a lot. I wear merino Longjohns as well and if it wasn't so expensive I would probably wear it a lot more Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf, funny that how you've found the opposite with HH and Icebreaker. We must all work differently in the cold. I've been used to an insulated ski jacket up to now, and under that I've been wearing my Helly top and bottoms, the Icebreaker on the top of that possibly if it's very cold/windy, a very thin fleece top sometimes as well and then the jacket. That's been plenty and perhaps too much some days but thought I could always take a layer off and put it in my rucksack if need be. I couldn't wear a Helly/Icebreaker on it's own and then the jacket as I'd be too cold when I stopped on the lifts and that.

I've sold the ski jacket now, and bought a TNF Freethinker jacket which is actually a bloke's Gore Tex shell jacket but fits me a treat in a size Small. I've only tried that at Tamworth Snowdome so far when I did my BASI shadowing the other week and it was surprisingly warm for just a shell jacket. Not sure what I will wear under that in Dec/Jan now I haven't got the insulation. I will probably go for the same, Helly top and bottoms, possible Icebreaker top, possibly the bottoms as well over the Hellys, then thin fleece then shell jacket and go from there. In Tignes last December I asked the instructor how many layers he had on under his shell jacket and he said 5! Not sure if that included the shell jacket though. That seemed quite a lot for a man especially every man I've met seems to radiate heat from them compared to us women! Laughing Very Happy wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, depends on how hot/sweaty you are and where you ski and how ..... my mates who are all backcountry guides and spend up to a week at a time in the snow and whatever clothes they are wearing or can carry with them ALL wear Icebreaker... They swear after a couple of days of 24 hour wear you appreciate it...

The whole layering system you wear is important though... any cotton layer anywhere will tend to create a chill layer - I even made a mistake with a large cotton hanky just under my goretex shell which held moisture and then the chill condensed the moisture in it... and goretex shells work best if the layer under them holds moisture in fine vapour still....

In a colder climate breathability is less of an issue than in OZ - in Oz you will chill from the wind and your sweat very quickly - so breathable and adjustable is the aim... I rarely need to think about this in Colorado (except spring)...

I'm going XC skiing next week and will probably just wear thin body layer icebreaker and goretex shell if needed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5,

Yes, that is right, 3 layers does me for most temps... so 100 micro, a midlayer Velocity jacket or Monkey man 200, which is the warmer of the two, and a packlite shell.
If really cold I'd put an icebreaker as the base to make up a 4 layer sys but never have to do this. I carry the icebreaker in the pack ..just in case.. and I find the pack makes a difference to the overall of my clothing.

All this has been worked through and thought out over the years and it works for me. I prefer fleece as a wicker over Merino but that is just personal preference. People could use this thinking to devise their own layering system but each person would run at different temps, so would have to fine-tune.

Some of my tops have poor-ish thermal qualities if used on their own ( the Velocity jacket, for example) but when used with other wick layers, really start to warm up collectively. You might have to play around to find what works best for you
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, little tiger, yes that is true of the Icebreaker re minimal smelliness/total lack of. If you wear a fresh pair of thermals every day or wash them out well especially under the arms each evening and leave them to dry overnight then it doesn't make a lot of difference which brand you go for. If however, like in the Backcountry chaps example, wearing a fresh pair every day isn't as option due to space issues or they haven't got the facilities to wash them each night then I'm sure Icebreaker is the way to go! I expect Hellys stink to iota after wearing them 2 days on the trot or more without washing them! Especially on men dare I say it Laughing Laughing wink I don't worry about that because I got enough pairs in the sales to last me a week which works out nicely, then on longer trips there normally is a launderette you can nip to and sling them in the washing machine one morning.

JT, oh yeah? Well I might try that then and see how I get on. Never considered putting a fleecy jumper on top of skin before, always assumed there had to be a layer underneath first like the Helly.

If you find it cold and then decide to put the Icebreaker on as the base, do you find a mountain cafe to nip into the gents to do it? That's the only thing I do find works well having the base layer on already, if I'm cold I can put my fleece top on over my base layer(s) with just taking my jacket off without having to find somewhere suitable indoors to change. Unless I was prepared to strip down to my bra right there on the slopes. Laughing Laughing

Thanks for your info.
snow report
pam w wrote:
That's a very kinky picture with the sheep, and the sheep-girl, isn't it? Which garments do those in the know recommend for skiing - base layer.

I bought some Icebreaker thermals last season. I skied on warm days and very cold ones. On all of them I wore the merinos. ONly on a damp warm April day with deep heavy snow on the pistes did I feel warm in them, but I wasn't sweaty.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, yeah that is what I find... I feel the cold and often layer up a lot.... but I don't usually feel too hot nor sweaty in my icebreaker...
latest report
I should have said that I never felt HOT in them. I was always a comfortable temperature, even though in the past I have worn about four layers under my ski jacket.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5,

I don't often get the layering drastically wrong so I have never had to put the icebreaker on on the hill... The situation I envisaged would be if I REALLY needed that extra warmth layer and therefore I would just have to put it on in whatever circumstances there were at the time. I don't say I don't feel the cold but I have my little system and it works comfortably from about -5 to -20 maybe... If it is really cold at the top, I'd cater for that with the fleece 200..which is real toast machine layered.

I would aim to be not too hot and not too cold...so keeping the body temp manageable most of the time. In the event of really working hard...like a boot pack or something, then cool down the other side, and then carry on. I don't want to run too hot or too cold so being able to regulate with pit zips etc is good.

MY polar 100's are designed to be worn next to the skin and I use about 4 for the week. All are efficient and work... and more importantly, I know in what temps they work for me..
I use polartecs 100's as I know what that warmth level means to me..and I buy like for like kit. If they weren't around the same as my best garments, then I would have binned them ages ago.

It is no real secret, you just have to work out what works for you in the context of what you do and you might have to put a bit of testing and maybe trial and error time in.
ski holidays
I was very disappointed as I was all ready to invest in Icebreaker this winter but having gone to MK Ellis Brigham to try the sizes of the verious styles and weights of Icebreakers tops I was glad I did cos the arms are all wayyyyyyyy to long for me even with the thumb thingie rolling eyes
snow report
Linds, I know what you mean. My top isn't an Icebreaker one though, it's a trekmates one , and yes the sleeves are still too long.........
snow conditions
Linds, Helen Beaumont, hmmm yes, my Icebreaker hasn't got the thumb loops-ooh couldn't bear to put my thumbs through there anyway-just wouldn't "like" it but anyway, yeah the sleeves on my Bodyfit 200 are really long as well. Puzzled
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, I quite like the thumb loops, as it stops the draught getting up your arms when it is cold and windy. Only trouble is the sleeves wrinkle up inside my jacket then. Come to think of it, my new jacket has really long sleeve (and thumb loops) too. perhaps the Dragons would like to lend some of us the cash to start a new ski clothing line for pixies.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, yeah I understand the logic of why they're there, but I find I don't get draughts because what I do, is put my gloves on, then pull my jacket sleeves over the top and stick em down with velcro, nice and snug! I don't know why it is, but I couldn't stand having my thumbs through loops in a top! Just wouldn't feel right. I know some jackets do have them, I think Eider do, Schoeffel and also Norrona have thumb loops-I tried on a Norrona jacket in Val D'Isere and thought ooh no I don't like that! Laughing

Funny how some things put people off! Laughing
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, I find them quite comfortable, but it's a bug when you get them in your dinner.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Laughing don't you get your thumbs out when you're having your dinner?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 31-08-08 19:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, I forget sometimes Embarassed
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Helen Beaumont, Laughing don't you get yout thumbs out when you're having your dinner?

Eats with her fingers too, it seems Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Bones, Laughing

Oh I couldn't stand having my thumbs through there full stop dinner or no dinner Laughing Shocked Cringe! A bit like toe rings-I could never have one of them on either-it would drive me scatty!
Strange how something silly like that would bother me, although I do know someone that can't have the sheets tucked round the bottom of the bed and therefore their feet "trapped" in bed, they can't bear it. Similar I suppose. rolling eyes Laughing Embarassed
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, they are no worse than having your fingers in a pair of gloves. I do usually remove them at lunchtime, I just forgot the first time I wore the thing. Normally just turn the things back to shorten the sleeves and use the ones on my jacket instead.
Bones, sandwiches are normally eaten with the fingers.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, I know what you mean, I feel a bit that way about hats, I absolutely hate them. It was pleasant to discover that helmets are actually more comfortable/less annoying than hats, for me anyway, though I'd much rather ski bare-headed.
snow conditions
Hurtle, I hate hats with a vengeance, and haven't found a helmet I'm comfortable with either. None of them fit my head properly,usually they are too big, but kids hats, are well, too childish. I had a nice one that fitted me, and I left it in a restaurant in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
Linds, you ought to try these
http://mumzmall.co.uk/pixieknits/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&zenid=91d7d8ab68d679d795023f2a9834f127
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy