Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 Nights in Utah.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Cheers to all the snowHead who responded about my possible Big Sky/Moonlight Basin trip - now considering Utah as an alternative as flights & accommodation are coming up quite a bit cheaper.

We're looking at up to 10 nights in January 09 (can't do 2 weeks due to work... Sad ) with an initial base in Park City. Can anyone advise on:

1. Whether the interchangeable "Silver Passport" lift ticket covering Park City, The Canyons & Deer Park (as mentioned in the official 2005/06 Utah ski guide that I have) still exists? If so, how easy is it to buy? Do you have to get it before you travel to the US?

2. Whether - without a car - it's feasible to get to Alta or Snowbird? Thinking of spending a few nights there if we can (lured by the bumper snowfall stats and glowing reports of a fellow snowHead ) & would like to avoid car hire if possible.

3. Their experience of the Utah Interconnect off piste tour? Recommended?

4. Any other useful hints, tips or recommendations for Utah?

Little Angel Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why the aversion to car hire - its the American way and whi le you probably could get from Park City to Alta by bus it would probably be such a pain in the ass you wouldn't bother. I'd imagine that the resorts of Park City valley do have an interchangeable ticket available but no evidence of this.

Be prepared to join a bar or 2 as a member (so you can get drinks).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Not sure. As I recall the Silver pass was generally sold as part of a lodging package. Several ski shops down in Salt Lake City sell discounted lift tickets. Canyon Sports comes to mind but there are several others. You might check out www.skiutah.com. Lots of info and I'd bet if you email them they'll provide details.

2. There was (I assume still is) one or two services that took folks from Park City to the Cottonwoods Canyons resorts. I don't recall the name. It was basically a package deal in which they'd provide transportation and lift tickets to Alta, Snowbird, (and I think Solitude and Brighton as well). Didn't seem horribly priced, as I recal. Never used it. A car would make it easier to visit different resorts. IMO, you really need to make an effort to sample Alta, Snowbird Solitude, etc. A car will make it easier to visit multiple places. My wife and I are especially fond of Alta and Solitude. And if you there midwinter and there's been lots of snow, don't ignore Powder Mountain and Snowbasin to the North. Park City is a nice area to make for you base.

3. No idea.

4. If you want the feel of a real ski resort village, Park City is the place to stay. Lots to do. But, IMO, the best skiing is in the Cottonwoods Canyons. Powder Mountain is a unique experience if the snows good. It's wide open, with lots of "side country" and "back country." Lots of terrain served by only a few lifts. You can ski down to a bus that picks folks up off a road. Not lots of grooming and generally very uncrowded. Lodges and lifts are old school. But when they have snow it's a great place to ski. Snowbasin has very upscale lodges with excellent food and very good skiing. No Name Saloon in Park City has great burgers. The Wasatch Brew Pub is a nice place to stop for a few beers after skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was looking at park city last night, the multi resort lift ticket is still avaiable but only if you buy before travelling
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did 10 days in Utah last March. Fantastic. I second renting a car - areas are a bit spread out and you will likely find it difficult to get from one area to another by public transport.

Powder Mountain was our absolute favorite. Enormous, empty, and wonderfully laid-back, if you like that sort of thing. Lodges (and some lifts) straight out of the 60's/70's. Sort of refreshing if you've been to one too many McMountains. The cat skiing ($10/ride) off Lightning Ridge is not to be missed. We hired mountain guides two days - I think it was about $140 day (plus tip) which we split amongst our group. Money very well spent. All that being said, the terrain is not overall as steep as what you'll find in Cottonwood Canyon, but you can still plenty of steeps to keep you busy.

Also skied Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird, and Solitude. I heard great things about the Interconnect Tour and almost did it but group logistics cancelled that out. Instead we did an afternoon clinic at Alta which was perfect for introducing us to what the area had to offer and set us up well for the next visit. We bought Superpasses before arriving at these areas - think it worked out to just over $50/day. Powder & Snowbasin tix were also sold for about that price at the condo complex where we stayed up in Eden.

Can't provide much insight on Park City area itself. We only headed up for a night out one evening - great little ski town with tons of energy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fatbob:

No aversion to car hire - was just gravely concerned at the rocketing price of fuel in the US.....

Only kidding - my thinking was:

1. As I've hired a car for for about our last 50 ski trips or so it would make a change to not do so - especially as all the Utah areas seem to boast that they're about 10 mins from the airport (ie comparatively speaking compared to say Geneva to Tignes or Bergamo to Serre Chevalier.)

2. Won't particularly need one in Park City. With Deer Valley & Park City slopes on the doorstep we'd be paying car hire just to leave it parked for the first week.

Plan is now 7 nights at Park City and 3 at Alta. Have found there are day trips to the Canyons and there is a shuttle to Alta (bargain at $38 return per person).

Flights booked and counting down Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowbasin would be nice for a day or two but you'll need the car rental, and like others I agree that if you get the snow a day at Powder Mtn is worth it. Can't remember the bars but you'll enjoy the nightlife in Park City and if you like hard drinks you'll end up joining a private bar.
Beer is 3.2% unless you go to a liquor store to buy, it which is what we did after we drank up what we brought in from out of state.

Hope you get the Champagne Pow, those Mtns have always delivered for me. Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Interconnect tour is really very tame and IMHO a waste of money. You get a badge at the end! It is definitely not off piste as we know in Europe. Better to spend your money on a lesson. Essential to hire a car and make sure you go to Alta Lodge and see the wonderful photo gallery of the early days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mogli Resorts provides you the true Nature experience. Situated in the vicinity of the lands of the Tiger, at Kanha and Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, Mogli Resorts combines the pleasure of leisure with the adventure of jungle. Combined packages, including Nature walk, exotic Indian food, recreation and hospitality ensure a truly memorable experience.
-----------------
Jbsjohn

Utah Drug Treatment
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And the prize for best response goes to.....Jbsjohn!!

Only a shame that the Utah Drug Treatment place isn't doing its job Toofy Grin .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy