Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in France - Where?

Poster: A snowHead
Starting to plan a ski season in France and looking for resort recommendations.

We're a couple in our 30s, advanced to expert skiers. Looking for somewhere with great skiing (including off-piste) where we can practice our French and have other options for non-skiing days. Enjoy the occasional lively apres-ski but great food for meals out and an authentic (French) atmosphere are more important. Need a "reasonable" cost area given the miserable dollar exchange rate. Won't have a car, either.

To give an idea of likes / dislikes, in France, have skied at:
    Morzine / Portes du Soleil: Liked the town, skiing, vibe, didn't like the bus system to get to Avoriaz lifts (Morzine connections were closed), concerned about altitude/snow

Chamonix / Argentiere: Liked the skiing and vibe, didn't like the bus system, sprawl, and non-linked ski areas.

Samoens / Grand Massif: Loved Samoens village, liked the skiing up towards Flaine, disliked the travel to lift system, the older lift system, and time required to get up to good skiing.

Val d'Isere / Tignes: Stayed in Val d'Isere, really liked but was with self-contained group so didn't get a great feel for the town. Loved the skiing and lift system.

Pralognan: Cute place, way too small.

Original idea was a season in Val d'Isere but accomodations look prohibitively expensive.

Current ideas:
Serre Chevalier
Peisey-Vallandry
Champagny
St. Martin de Belleville
Brides les Bains

Pros / cons / other suggestions - bring them on!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bourg St Maurice. Authentic French town, albeit with lots of other nationalities. 7 minutes funicular access to Les Arcs/La Plagne, and very easy access to La Rosiere/La Thuile, Tignes/Val d'Isere, St Foy, and fairly easy to access the Trois Vallees is you have a car. Cheaper than staying in a high altitude resort, but easy access to virtually unlimited skiing.

PS: Welcome to snowHeads Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for a bit, lots of great info on here.

Re BSM, glad you mentioned, as I meant but forgot to include that. How easy is it to find accomodation there, it not being a "typical" resort town? Should I be looking only in particular neighborhoods for easy access to the funicular?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
folledeski, It's not as easy as you may think to find accomodation in BSM, but there are a few villages nearby where you could find season lets at a reasonable cost, BernardC is the expert.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
folledeski, Have you thought about staying in Tignes as an alternative to Val-its cheaper,slightly more french and has access to the same area. I get the feeling your not too keen on having to catch buses so how about somewhere like Alpe D'huez thats got its own big area is more or less ski in ski out or usually no more than 2 mins walk from the nearest lift, is quite french and is close to LDA and Serre Chevalier for trips out too and i don't think your renting costs would be as high as in the Tarentaise.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Atomic Mick, good catch on not liking the buses. Happy Don't mind them for short transfers like the ones in Val d'Isere, but all other things being equal, slopes within walking distance are a strong preference.

Don't know much about Alpe d'Huez, will look that up, thanks.

Tignes definitely considered but was scared off by the prices I've seen, ~7,000 Euros for a tiny studio with bunks (not great for couples!) and a sofabed (don't fancy that either for a whole season...). Are there better deals to be had there?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serre Chevalier. Probably about half that price for accommodation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
folledeski,

Welcome, BernardC would indeed be worth a PM for all things re BSM and the Valley, He stays up the hill from BSM usually but to take advantage of the entire valley which includes, Val D, Tignes, La Ros, St Foy, Les Arcs, La Plagne and onto the 3 V's a car would be best. Personally I think you'd be ok with buses from a central point of BSM, but a car would be better/easier. From that base you have world class skiing from a piste POV and the options for backcountry are mind-boggling.

If you looked further south to nearer Grenoble, you could have access to ADH, L2A and Serre C. You also have the mecca of Le Grave as well but the valley is strung out somewhat. In terms of miles the vallies might be comparable but the buses are better, IMV, around BSM. Hopefully, someone on the spot can tell you how frequent they are. The buses between Grenonble and SC are not too frequent or run late. Maybe BSM is the same.

From a skiing POV, both valleys have loads and loads and loads going for them, especially if you want to get out backcountry more often than not. In that respect, I'd pick the southern valley for ADH etc...If you are more piste biased, then there are more miles from BSM, but then you'd miss so much more going on.

Remember, we are talking about lodging in a valley town in both senses really, not so much a resort. ADH is a resort of course, but might not be the place you'd want to stay for best access ( without a car ) to the others. A town for that valley might be Osian... but again others who have better local knowledge might tell you a better bet.

Tough pick and providing you get the logistics right, then either valley would be a great choice IMV.

Finally, you might, just might, be able to meet up with more people from this board...should you feel so inclined...from the area of BSM.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
folledeski, We've been thinking of something similar for some time so let me throw Peisey Vallandry into the mix - right in the middle of the Paradiski domain (if the lift opens this year!), so hopefully ski-in, driving distance of BSM for supplies, and hence just a little bit further from all the other Tarentaise resorts than BSM itself
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HIGHLY unlikely the Tarentise express will be working for next season... Think there is a MAJOR design fault and could need rebuilding... Well that was the word when i was working in La Plagne anyway
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuski, I did have an inkling that might be the case - just gut feel, nothing else to go on
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stuski wrote:
HIGHLY unlikely the Tarentise express will be working for next season...

Info about cable replacement works here.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, and here's a picture of the new cables delivered on the LP side.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
> great skiing (including off-piste) where we can practice our French and have other options for non-skiing days.

Verbier wink

Just spent a season there (at age of 29) and loved every minute.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap, how many of you did your season in Verbier? How much did it cost you for accomodation there? Was it reasonable?

I always read these threads on seasons with interest because it's something I'm looking at doing for 2009/2010 season or 2010/2011. Can't do it next year but looking forward to trying it. Very Happy
ski holidays
yup - the *only* bummer with Verbier is expensive & hard to find accommodation.
but there are ways around that. (jobs with accommodation, live out of town etc).

World class off piste & touring.
Easy access to France & Italy.
Nice village / atmosphere amongst the seasonaire community (not all of them are 18 yr old kids!)
Plenty of excellent quiet small locals resorts nearby - Bruson, St Bernanrd, Les Marcotes etc.
Not far from Sion / Lac Geneve etc for days off mountain
ski holidays
JT, unfortunately having a car will not be possible (coming from the US) so I will need to focus on areas with direct access and/or public transportation. From what I have read, BSM does seem a better choice in terms of public transport to get to other areas.

nbt, I did have Peisey-Vallandry on my list above. Happy According to the link provided by rob, the Vanoise Express will reopen by winter...but then I suppose delays are not out of the question. Is it big enough to keep one occupied if not skiing? Any pros/cons to each of its villages?

Haven't heard anyone weigh in yet on the Trois Vallees areas...Brides or St. Martin. Any input?
snow report
folledeski wrote:
Haven't heard anyone weigh in yet on the Trois Vallees areas...Brides or St. Martin. Any input?

I would avoid Brides les Bains if you won't have a car.
ski holidays
folledeski, whoops yes. PV has direct access to Les Arcs whic to be honest is quite enough for a season on its own. as to the individual villages, not been to them so can't help - I stayed in Rob's apartment in Arc 1800
ski holidays
folledeski, .... Welcome to snowHeads ..... snowHead

I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have spent three seasons in The Tarentaise and I am going back there again next season ..... Very Happy ... I think .... Toofy Grin

.... I have been earning many Brownie Points and last week got DOUBLE Brownie Points ..... Very Happy Laughing Laughing

I do have a Landrover (Best Laughing ) and ski from La Fornet / Val d'Isere to Val Thorens and everything in between ... as rob@rar, & JT, mention ... Les Arcs, La Plagne, La Rosiere/La Thuile, St Foy, Trois Vallees, Beaufortain Massif and Chamonix (Pretty much everything within 45 minutes e.g Val Thorens - Chamonix being longest at about 1 1/2 hours).

In three seasons I have hardly scratched the surface ..... it's supercalafraglisticexpaladocious ..... ! Very Happy I am bursting with excitement even now just thinking about it all ....
snow conditions
BernardC, do you go on your own every season? How big is the place you stay in and how much does it cost you to stay there all season? Do you work while you're there or not?

By the way it sounds great! How do you decide which resort to visit each day?
ski holidays
folledeski wrote:
Any pros/cons to each of its villages?

From a skiing point of view there's not much difference to any of the Les Arcs villages. They all get you into the heart of the ski domain fairly quickly. Some are a bit smaller and quieter in terms of shopping and entertainment, Peisey being one of the small ones, but all have grocery shopping, bars, restaurants, etc. If I was doing a season without a car I'd want to be in BSM. The inconvenience of having to catch the funicular up to Les Arcs for skiing would be more than offset by the wider range of things in town plus easier access to other places to ski.
snow report
rob@rar, 's comments are worth noting .... without a car I would also suggest Bourg Saint Maurice is the best choice ... and even though I always look on the bright side of life .... the Funiculaire is far from being an inconvenience - I have met more people, guides, friends and snowHead 's on it than beggars belief ... Toofy Grin ... plus it is the source of endless entertainment ..... Laughing

VolklAttivaS5, ... If I'm a good boy I go on my own, but with a Travel Warrant issued by MrsBernardC, ..... Laughing I rent a 4-bed Chalet & wouldn't like to say how much it costs Laughing but I love it and it's my winter home - tranquil, peaceful and calm. Quite a few snowHead 's visit .... My landlord & landlady are great friends and are mountain guides and instructors. I have made great friends there and ski with absolutely wonderful people. Work as an avenue of pleasure has been discontinued ..... Laughing I ski everyday - dawn to dusk .... all conditions ... even rain! ... and that's not because I feel I have to .... every day is just so wonderful. There's another snowHead on here that knows what I mean ... we ski in whiteouts, fog ... even rain ... just because it's fun ... we will skin, walk, hike for hours to get to where ever we have to get to ... just because it's fun ... well almost always fun Laughing I have skinned up a mountain in La Fornet, with a guide, over 1200m, starting at 05:30, after getting a skidoo lift as far as we could coax the driver ... just to out-do another guide from Ste. Foy for the first tracks down. We even waited until that guide was on the first chair, with his clients before .... well let's say skiing down in waist deep poowder, with great excitement .... Laughing ... whilst they were un-amused & their faces indicated thunder ... Toofy Grin ... they were Belgian clients ... Toofy Grin Laughing

How to decide the best resort ... ? ... a combination really .. weather and best conditions mainly, great help from my landlord Francois and guide Laurent Camus as well, friends ringing the night before ... "It's going to be great at X tomorrow ... fancy coming? "etc., ... and do you know? ... I have never had a bad day in the mountains .... snowHead

The only downside is that the season goes too fast .... but then there's the EoSB ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
BernardC, how wonderful! I just had a quick squiz at how much it costs for somewhere for 1-2 people in BSM and it looks like about £5000 for Dec 1st-April 30th. Would have to find somewhere that had a washing machine and hopefully tumble dryer (have seen some with this elsewhere). I can't be arsed with that trapsing to the launderette every week. Plus it costs a fortune in these laundrettes. Is there anywhere else apart from BSm that's handy and central to be able to travel by car to any resort one chooses in the reasonable vicinity?
snow report
folledeski,

Hiya. Did you know that they are currently putting in a fast chair in Samoens ready for Dec '08 - from the Plateau to Tete de Saix? I have a central apartment (next to Sherpa and the cinema ski bus stop) which I would consider letting for the season if you are interested? You get an amazing price for your grand massif season pass when you buy it before December 16th.

FS
snow report
Quote:

You get an amazing price for your grand massif season pass when you buy it before December 16th.

folledeski, though dates vary a bit this is true of a number of ski areas - watch out and make sure you don't miss the early purchase discounts.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, .... folledeski, .... From my experience in the Tarentaise area, owners will rent really good accommodation for a season, at much lower that 'Silly-season' prices if they are assured that the tenants will really look after their property and not cause any bother for them or neighbours. However, most that I know of, have already been rented for next season.

Just to give you both an approximate idea on price - just outside the old village of Ste. Foy, a Studio can be rented Dec 1st - April 30 for about 3,500 euro and a proper 2-bed apartment with en-suite for about 6,700 euro, both including electricity & water charges.
latest report
BernardC wrote:
Just to give you both an approximate idea on price - just outside the old village of Ste. Foy, a Studio can be rented Dec 1st - April 30 for about 3,500 euro and a proper 2-bed apartment with en-suite for about 6,700 euro, both including electricity & water charges.

That's a great location if you have a car. Very quick access to any of the resorts in the upper Tarentaise, and a nice little village as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, Shhhh, they'll all be wanting one if we let the cat out of the bag.... wink
latest report
BernardC, that's good. Was it any studio/2-bed apartment in particular so I can have a look? Have you a link? It doesn't matter if it's sold already because I could bear it in mind for another time, I'd like to see how it compares to the other ones I've seen on the web.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, .... see my PM
snow conditions
BernardC, thanks I am just replying. folledeski, sorry to keep hijacking your thread with me asking BernardC questions!
snow report
folledeski, Serre Chevalier would be a good option, and you can get into Briancon from Paris via an overnight sleeper. Cheap accommodation too. PM me if you want a few contacts who may be able to find you reasonable accommodation for the season.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for all the helpful input! Will send PMs off to a few of you...

Good to hear that some more reasonable prices might be available for season rental. Will definitely plan on taking advantage of early season lift passes - well versed in that over here in the States.

BernardC (or others) - if you ski a lot of different areas, do you typically buy one season pass to cover where you ski most and then out-of-pocket for side trips? Or is there some "super" pass available that covers everything? I have seen that Serre Che passes will cover several days at lots of other areas, but what about the Tarentaise as a region like what you do? Finally, I'm jealous of your life! Happy
ski holidays
folledeski, ... I tend to buy a Paradiski Season pass which covers Les Arcs, La Plagne, Champagny, etc,. This also gives me some free days in other resorts - though it seems to change each year! ... last season it gave me Two free days in Espace Killy (La Fornet/Val d'Isere/Tignes), Two free days in Trois Valees, Two free days in Ste. Foy and a discounted rate in La Rosiere. I then buy day tickets as and when I need them.

I have tried to get what you describe as a 'Super Pass' last season - they do exist, but apparently only for Directors/trainers of ski Racing Clubs and not for sale to the public - however I have a cunning plan for this coming season to try to get one. I will post on snowheads if I am successful.

I never had a debauched youth .... so I am making up for it now .... Toofy Grin
latest report
Will be interested in the superpass thing.
ski holidays
BernardC, Looking on the Sainte Foy web site it mentions discounted Espace Killy passes with one of their passes. Any idea how much and if it applies to season passes ? I take it from your post above that you don't bother with a season pass for Sainte Foy ?
snow conditions
folledeski,

The Grand Massif season ski pass covers the GM plus various free days in Portes du Soleil, Tignes, Chamonix, Cormayeur and The Aqua Parc in Geneva (which is brilliant - hit the slopes til 3pm then head off to Geneva for 4 hours in the aqua parc then hop over to the airport and home again - a great end to your hols).

FS Very Happy
ski holidays
folledeski,

I know you can get a studio (27m2) near the centre of Les Carroz for the season for 3,500 Euros. The new gondola plus one more uplift will get you to Samoens and Morillon and a second uplift and you're in Flaine from where you only need two lifts to return right from the top. As has been mentioned the GM pass covers various other resorts and is heavily discounted if bought prior to the start of the season.
ski holidays
folledeski,
For info on BSM, contact boggart on natives.co.uk - he's lived there for years.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy