Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SqueezyJet and Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
We are in the process of booking a slightly complicated trip to Tignes for two weeks over Christmas. We are thinking of going SqueezyJet from either East Mids or Birmingham. We've not used them for a ski trip before, although I've used them a lot for working trips to Scotland.

We both have two pairs of skis and would like to take two pairs each for this trip.

The question is, how sniffy are they about what would be quite a large quantity of "sports equipment"? We wouldn't exceed the 50kg total including sports equipment, as the skis weigh about 22kg in the box, and we don't take much other luggage. We definitely don't want to get to the airport and find they won't carry it.

Any experiences carrying more than one pair of skis/board with EasyJet?

Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
docsquid, you should get away with 2 per bag, but not 4. The ski allowance, plus 1 checked hold bag, allows you a total of 32 kg with neither bag to weigh more than 20kg.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
docsquid, going out is usually no prob . . . coming back is a completely different sexual assault to your wallet at GVA Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad and they ignore complain letters Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, thanks. We will have two ski bags between us, each with two pairs, plus a hold bag each. Weight might be an issue with Volkl skis Wink

Masque, do they rip you off at GVA then?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid, plus two boot bags? ........ one ski bag (with two skis) plus a boot bag plus check-in bag upto a limit 0f 32 kg per person ..... and if one person weighs in less (say 30 kg) the saving (say ... 32kg - 30 kg = 2 kg saving) in weight can not be used by the other person !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes - plenty of experience - no real bother but they can be a pain in the ass if they choose.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
docsquid, have checked in a ski bag with 2 pairs a few times with easyjet, no problem, even at Geneva. Although if they;re getting stricter you never know.

I'm flying with easyjet in January and will be doing the same again. I think providing your hold bag and your ski bag doesn't exceed 32kg max you should be OK. Carry boots as hand luggage to save on hold weight (if the airport allows it, not sure about B'ham but E Mids does not).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob said,
Quote:

they can be a pain in the ass if they choose.

docsquid, don't wish to rain on your parade but some mates tried 4 snowboards into 2 bags on Easyjet from Stansted to Munich 2 years ago. Over-zealous check-in woman said 12kg max per bag and applied excess charges totalling over £80. Funnily enough, they didn't bat an eyelid at Munich for the return flight.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith wrote:
docsquid, Carry boots as hand luggage to save on hold weight (if the airport allows it, not sure about B'ham but E Mids does not).

I went to the E o SB at the end of April from Emids with said airline and boots as handluggage was no problem. At X-Ray security they asked whose the ski boots were. THey then asked me which airline & when I said EJ they said it was fine.

I am however seriously thinking of going by train in future having worked out that all the hanging about in airports and the transfers to/from them means the overall journey time is not very different, and by train there is none of this bag nonsense!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly, I've posted about the EOSB by train elsewhere but I left home mid afternoon on the friday and was skiing in VT on the saturday morning when most of you were all battling the check-in queues Toofy Grin Yes it costs more but for me the extra ££s were more than offset by the extra day's skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just booked 2 easyJet flights to Geneva for friends and noticed that the luggage allowance was up to 40kgs between the two of them. Not sure whether the same pooled allowance would apply to sports equipment though, as they won't be carrying skis. They always pack their ski boots in their main checked bags.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if Easyjet try to charge extra - complain. They frequently do no respond to complaints, so make follow up to MD and suggest you will be writing an article for a well known magazine to register the extent of your discontent. We have done it and found them very responsive!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have booked a trip recently to go with BA as the charges are getting so large on the "cheap" airlines that BA is now very competitive given that all luggage is for free.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out of curiosity, I just had a trip round the EJ website. The info now says you are alllowed to split your hold baggage into up to EIGHT bags, weighing a total of up to 20Kg - small bags then Wink

Quote:

Each passenger is permitted

* one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
* Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. A fee per kilo for excess weight is charged at the airport prior to departure

Each passenger is allowed a maximum combined hold baggage weight of 50kg including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32kg.

Bicycles, golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms:
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items as set out in our carrier’s regulations. Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, Not sure but I think you still pay extra for each additional bag but get no additional weight allowance

Quote:

Baggage policy. Each hold bag is charged at £10.00 per bag at the airport. Each passenger is entitled to carry 20 kg of hold baggage spread over a maximum of 8 hold bags. Extra weight may be purchased during the booking process, otherwise excess weight fees will be payable at the airport if the total weight exceeds 20 kg. If you need to take more bags than you have currently booked, please add the relevant charges to your booking. Purchasing additional bags does not increase your weight allowance.

Baggage allowance. Each paying passenger may take one standard piece of hand baggage, dimensions 55x40x20cm. The number of standard checked-in hold baggage stated for your booking must weigh no more than 20kg in total. The 20kg hold bag weight allowance (per passenger) does not increase with the addition of further hold bags. Extra weight may be purchased during the booking process. Additional charges payable at the airport will apply if you exceed the pre-paid weight limit.
snow report
Butterfly, we booked the outward flight only with Easyjet in the end. I found the same thing as you did, but then elsewhere the web site says definitely that the total limit per person, even when you've paid ski carriage, is 32kgs, and not the 50kgs that you and I found under their terms and conditions. So I'm still not sure what it is.

You do also pay a supplement if you take more than one piece of hold baggage - so we'll have to pay for our boot bags as well, but it isn't much if you book in advance. The ski carriage was £16.50 each one way.

You can buy extra kgs at a reduced rate in advance, however, and so we can pack up and weigh our skis and find out what extra kgs we will need. I haven't even bought my second pair of skis yet!
snow conditions
docsquid, talk about confuse the customer eh! I emailed them before I went, both EMA and EJ and took emails with me confirming I could take my boots as handluggage, provided the bag was within dimension limits and I could lift it into the locker ok. I found mine fitted perfectly in a small cabin sized roller suitcase. I brought them home in my main suitcase. Thing is they've been CEM modified and I was more worried about losing them than anything else if they were in the hold.
snow conditions
docsquid wrote:
...the web site says definitely that the total limit per person, even when you've paid ski carriage, is 32kgs, and not the 50kgs that you and I found under their terms and conditions.

There seems to be some confusion over the 32Kg which is the max weight for a single piece of bag regards airport health and safety. Badly worded on their site perhaps?

snowHead
snow report
Easyjet's weight rules are simple & haven't changed for ages:

- unlimited single bag carry-on weight allowance providing the bag fits within 55x40x20cm
- hold baggage not to exceed 20kg, either in one or multiple bags. If you're over 20kg you pay an excess charge per kg.
- paying for sports equipment gives an additional 12kg hold allowance = 32kg in total, which may be put in one or multiple bags. If you're over 32kg you pay an excess charge per kg. The no. of pairs of skis in a bag doesn't matter, it's the weight that counts.
- 32kg is the max any single bag can weigh for H&S reasons.
- 50kg is max weight of hold baggage any passenger can take (ie, if you're prepared to pay the excess baggage charges).

What Easyjet have changed is the fee per bag so you now pay a fee for every item of hold luggage, excluding the sports equipment bag.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:

- unlimited single bag carry-on weight allowance providing the bag fits within 55x40x20cm
- hold baggage not to exceed 20kg, either in one or multiple bags. If you're over 20kg you pay an excess charge per kg.
- paying for sports equipment gives an additional 12kg hold allowance = 32kg in total, which may be put in one or multiple bags. If you're over 32kg you pay an excess charge per kg. The no. of pairs of skis in a bag doesn't matter, it's the weight that counts.
- 50kg is max weight of hold baggage any passenger can take (ie, if you're prepared to pay the excess baggage charges).

What Easyjet have changed is the fee per bag so you now pay a fee for every item of hold luggage, excluding the sports equipment bag.

But this isn't clear on the site - pay for a hold bag and there is no specification as to its size only 20kg weight. Technically I have thought that this might mean it is possible to claim your ski bag as your only hold bag though I don't expect the charmers to accept this though I have had it accepted before at certain airports.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

But this isn't clear on the site - pay for a hold bag and there is no specification as to its size only 20kg weight. Technically I have thought that this might mean it is possible to claim your ski bag as your only hold bag though I don't expect the charmers to accept this though I have had it accepted before at certain airports.

Exactly. There's no dimensions limit on hold baggage (& never has been) so if you book a sports equipment bag (without booking a standard 20kg hold luggage bag) you can take one big single 32kg with no extra 'per bag' fee. My mate flew from EMA to Geneva on Sat using exactly this method.

One single 32kg is too cumbersome for my liking & gives problems on transfers to resort etc.
snow report
im taking a serious baggage reduction angle these days.. i was in menorca for a week earlier this month.. my bag was 7 kilos.. which was handy as i was travelling with my wife and daughter rolling eyes
snow report
Travelling light is bliss, and easy in the tropics. I did a 6 week business trip to the Pacific with no hold baggage at all. Felt a bit of an idiot, and a bit cold, on the train and coach to Heathrow, in summer clothes in November, but I got over it.

Harder for skiing, but almost everybody takes far too much. I've done trips in the past with just a ski bag and a boot bag - everything else needed for a week stuffs in easily enough.
latest report
I've not read all of the above - sorry if i'm repeating anything. Please be careful not to have any bag over 20kg. I had 21kg in one bag and 18kg in another (2 of us travelling) and I was made to repack them at Innsbruck to remove the 1kg from the 'overweight' bag. We always put 2 pairs of skis (both Volkls) in one bag (soft-type bag, not hard shell) and pay for one ski carriage. This has worked so far. (This is easyjet BRS-INN)
snow report
erica2004, all you really achieved was avoiding 1 kg of excess baggage ! A classic example of the fact that you can not 'pool' your allowance if your bag is over 20 kg and your mates bag is under 20 kg (each bag must be 20 kg or uner)

In the past I have taken only a wheelie board bag (not other hold bag) and this was the cheapest way to do it - all you pay is the ski carraige and you get 32 kg ! Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, I don't understand - ski bags are limited to 12kg - how did you manage to get 32kg Puzzled
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
rayscoops, I don't understand - ski bags are limited to 12kg - how did you manage to get 32kg Puzzled

erica2004, see my posts above.
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
I've not read all of the above - sorry if i'm repeating anything. Please be careful not to have any bag over 20kg. I had 21kg in one bag and 18kg in another (2 of us travelling) and I was made to repack them at Innsbruck to remove the 1kg from the 'overweight' bag. We always put 2 pairs of skis (both Volkls) in one bag (soft-type bag, not hard shell) and pay for one ski carriage. This has worked so far. (This is easyjet BRS-INN)

Ej have not made us do this.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, as spyderion sad earlier, you get 12 kg extra for ski gear in addition to your 20 kg allowance for hold baggage (you have the same 20 kg hold baggage allowance whether you have zero bags or six bags in the hold - they just charge you for each bag you check-in within the 20 kg limit ..... so no bags = no charge !). When booking select the ski baggage and get the 12 kg, click the 'zero' box for no. of hold bags so you are not charged for any bags but you still retain the 20 kg to add to your 12 kg ski allaowance !! Simply put, you can have ski/board boots in one bag, skis/boards in another bag rammed full with all your clothes and a heavy hand luggage bag !! I rarely get much over 20 kg with my a full board bag anyway Very Happy
latest report
Was nt i lucky with ryan air then - 3 pairs of skis 1 board etc (don't ask why it's a long story) in a board bag, and another hold bag and no charges, it's all about the smile to the check in assistant Madeye-Smiley.
latest report
Well, it looks like taking two pairs of skis each is going to be expensive in excess baggage Sad

I'm happy to rent slalom race skis in Tignes, so I hope Mr DS will do same and then just bring his GS Racetigers.
ski holidays
rayscoops, Ah, I see.

Helen Beaumont, There's still time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
docsquid wrote:
I'm happy to rent slalom race skis in Tignes, so I hope Mr DS will do same and then just bring his GS Racetigers.

Isn't it a wee bit overkill to take a slalom and a GS ski on the same trip? A piste ski (either slalom or GS) plus something fatter for off-piste seems like a good setup to take, but I'm not sure I could face dragging two pairs of 65mm skis with me unless I really had to.
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
rayscoops, Ah, I see.

Helen Beaumont, There's still time Toofy Grin

Unlikely as we won't be flying at all next winter.
'
ski holidays
rob@rar, mine will be an all mountain ski, plus hiring a fast piste ski if I need to, but Mr DS won't ski on anything wider than 65mm regardless! He likes having a short radius ski and a long radius ski. I might have to persuade him just to bring the GS skis and rent something else in resort if needed. Since 95% of his skiing is on piste, this probably isn't a bad choice.
latest report
docsquid wrote:,
Quote:

Well, it looks like taking two pairs of skis each is going to be expensive in excess baggage

Or you could fly with germanwings who will let you take 3 pairs of skis for no extra charge, only charge £4 per checked bag up to 23kg and 8kg hand luggage and £5 card fee per booking, so I'm sorted for Stansted to Stuttgart 2nd week Feb for £36 return all in, heading to the Arlberg or possibly Dolomites, probably too far to Tignes though
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy