Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leki Ski Poles

Poster: A snowHead
Seeking snowHead advice on some new ski poles or any thing that that may allow me to ski next season.
Following an injury to my wrist in January I have developed CRPS

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/reflex_sympathetic_dystrophy/reflex_sympathetic_dystrophy.htm Sad

I hope to ski next season (Medics dont know this yet Shocked ) and I have a little trip to Tignes booked in October to see how things go Laughing but I know that at this moment gripping a ski pole all day may be pushing it for me rolling eyes

Would the use of Leki trigger poles with the straps system mean I wouldnt have to grip so hard with my hand on my pole?
Does anybody use these and could comment/give me advice on if they would be any good.
Dont really fancy going onto blades but they may be an option Confused Please no comments about me already on blades rolling eyes Laughing
Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Linds, I use the Leki trigger grip sometimes. Doesn't make any difference to how much effort you require to grip the poles. Perhaps you could tighten the strap around your hard more than usual so you get a bit of extra support from the strap as it wraps underneath your hand?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Linds, I have quite sore hands, from arthritis, and I find one vital thing is to have really soft and flexible gloves - there are some gloves which are so cumbersome they would be impossible for me. I have ordinary bog-standard poles but try to have the straps adjusted so that I can, to some extent, rely on the strap rather than the strength of my grip. Generally this works fine, not that I do anything which needs having to put a lot of weight down through my pole. It does make them a bit more of a mission to get on, but it's worth it to ease the strain on my hands/wrists.

Depending on what you're doing it's also perfectly possible to ski without poles - loads of discussion and argument on this, and I don't want to start another one, but except for bumps and those bouncy, jumping, turns which Phil Smith makes look so easy (and which I can't do even with poles), you would probably be fine without them. I have a nephew who spent some years on blades and although he now skis on 170cm skis he never uses poles. He's very nifty, too, plenty of jumps and leaps and bounds. But he's an ace skateboarder, and very fit. You might find that leaving the poles behind when you're just carving around on piste would give your hand/wrist a break.

Or, of course, you could take up snowboarding....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i have lekis and bought them mainly cause i liked the strap as opposed to the trigger feature. They feel much better after a hard days skiing and easier on the wrists IMO due to the wrap around..

I also found out that they are kinda like releasable bindings after taking a big crash this year both poles came off. I can only imagine this being a good thing if you get a tip caught in a rock or in a tree or.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get into boarding. (Though this may well finish off your wrists once and for all.)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Linds, I've no advice about ski poles to offer, only that I'm sorry to hear your wrist still isn't healed up - the condition you have sounds painful - I hope it eventually sorts itself out for you. Best wishes - J
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Linds, sorry to hear of your woes.

I've got Leki poles with triggers & Scott poles with their notch strike grip/strap combo. The Scott straps are handed left/right & definately offer more support than the Leki's. With the Scott strap tightened snug across the back of the hand then very little grip tension is required on the pole. Not sure if the Scott grip/strap might be too big for your little mits but they do a junior version.

As skimottaret says the Leki's will release in a heavy fall which could help protect your wrist from further damage.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like only one wrist?

Just use one pole if that's the case - I've done this a few times when I've done skier's thumb injuries usually by fallling over in the lift maze rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, I lost a pole in a lift queue and although I don't use mine yet when I skied down I did find myself temporarily at a loss as to what to do with the poleless hand. Isn't that daft? I tried holding it across the body in both hands - like the drill learners do but in the finish just held it as a single pole - amazing how wierd it seemed, yet I noticed no difference in the way I skied as I don't use the poles. If Linds went for one pole long term I wonder how long it would take to adjust in her mind?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds,

Just ski without poles.... unless you are skiing moguls or super steeps you won't really miss them in most modern ski turns...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, your Scott ones sound good. I looked them up but found that, bizarrely, shops seem to show pictures of the patterns in the middle of poles, but not what either of the business ends looks like - Ellis Brigham, for example, and Filarinskis. Snow and Rock have few images. Do all the Scott poles described as having the "notch strike" system have the same kind of arrangement? I think I should go and have a look for some. I deserve a new pair. My current ones are ancient and battered.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thats for all the comments and advice.
little tiger, I dont mind doing a few runs without poles but wouldnt want to do a weeks skiing like that if there was a suitable pole available.
pam w, I too have Googled the Scott poles this morning but cant find any pics of the grip/top end, dont care what the graphics are like rolling eyes
spyderjon, Thanks for that Very Happy The Scott ones sound like the poles for me at the moment, any chance of a piccy of your Scotts with the staps etc either on your or Debs hand?
I wear a size 6-6.5 glove (so either a small or extra small in ski glove) so a junior pole/grip system may be the awnser.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Linds, after i broke my wrist a long time ago, i used a pole with a grip from swix called the wishbone, there is no strap just a plastic "wishbone which comes from the top of the handle round either side of the wrist, the idea is that you use less grip to hold the pole so you remain more relaxed...works great, i used it so that id i did stack it there was no pole still attached round my wrist ...the cause of the original injury

we used to sell them at Lockwoods, they are no longer made [i think] and not listed on the web site but it may be worth a call so see if they have any pixie sizes left

here's a piccy http://www.swixsport.com/eway/default.aspx?pid=278&trg=MainPage_6117&MainContent_6179=6117:0:24,2751&MainPage_6117=6138:32797::0:6144:17:::0:0

if that fails i think i may still have a pair in the garage which you can have [they will need to be chopped down though wink wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds, I skied for over a week carting a large camera and tripod.... with empty hands is far easier Smile I'd give it a go... should be far easier on the wrist and less chance to aggravate anything - unless you fall of course... but I don't really fall much so I don't think about that...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Linds, pamw, Scott don't even have pics on their website rolling eyes

This is the set-up. The grips are handed & this pic is of the right pole. The strap is pretty stiff so it retains it's shape & makes it easy to get on & off even when adjusted for a snug fit.
snow report
As you can see it the strap gets wider as it goes under the hand for support.

snow conditions
A better pic to show how much support the strap offers - I'm hardly applying an 'pinching' pressure to support the weight of the pole.

On the steeps the strap will support a lot of body weight without you having to grip the poles tightly.

Linds, Sorry but Debs is in Portugal so only my fat mits available for pics. EB's at MK stock a range Scott poles so you could try them there. Remember to take your gloves with you as that greatly increases your grip size.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 12-07-08 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
spyderjon, you would have loved the conversation i was having on tuesday night ver a bottle or 2 of fine red Toofy Grin
ski holidays
spyderjon, thanks - fantastic pictures. Wonder why the pole manufacturers don't bother? They look just right, I'm definitely going to get them. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

only my fat mits available for pics.

spyderjon, but you have little fat mitts Toofy Grin Laughing I agree with pam w, these look good. Off out now so will give you a call tomorrow on land line if you are around?
CEM, Many thanks for your offer, I am going to go over to MK in the next few weeks and just see how I get on skiing for an hour or so, but may happen to pop over to see you as well Very Happy
snow report
[quote="Linds"]
Quote:
......will give you a call tomorrow on land line if you are around?......

Linds, long dog walk first thing but you'll get me late morning onwards.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Great to chat to you today and thanks for the advice on the poles, I will see if EB at MK has the carbon ones Very Happy
ski holidays
Linds,

That does not sound great... Shocked

FWIW, I do think that people don't do their straps up tight enough. If you want to really lean onto a pole plant then you will need the strap to support most of the weight, not your grip, so just downward pressure should achieve that.

P.S. I posted this earlier but don't know where it went.. Puzzled
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Linds, pamw, Scott don't even have pics on their website rolling eyes

This is the set-up. The grips are handed & this pic is of the right pole. The strap is pretty stiff so it retains it's shape & makes it easy to get on & off even when adjusted for a snug fit.

I have those poles and they are great. One warining though, make sure you get the large strap unless you have tiny hands.
latest report
The_Hirsty, Check out Linds location....I don't think she'll have that problem!

Linds sorry to hear the arm's still bothering you....hope the trip in October goes well, just stay away from those Lardies!!
ski holidays
LOL. Perhaps two cocktail sticks or those little umbrellas then.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy