Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Freeride

Poster: A snowHead
Fat skis, pah, some footage of "le freeride" back in the 60s

http://youtube.com/v/PQ56J5r9jIg

but who is the skier and where is he?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-07-08 20:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! Brilliant clip....I always like footage of skiers in the era of big baskets and norwegian wooly jumpers, but you don't normally see video. The location looks a bit like piste perdue at La Daille, in which case I'm guessing Killy, but this could be completely wrong Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plake, yes i was thinking Piste Perdue as well. The guy can definitely ski Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
no idea who he is but really enjoyed that, thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great footage

Reminded me of the ski sequences in OHMSS (which was on last Sunday - hope you all dipped out of the tennis for the great sequences around the Lauterbrunnen/Murren area)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plake, Pre Killy. It's on the guy's website - stonking skiing. Hint = Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, I'm gonna say Jean Vuarnet snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
georges joubert ??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Le Jef Wickes?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would have thought this was in the Dolomites, with all those couloirs...probably wrong though.

(if it is Piste Perdue, then I want to ski Piste Perdue!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's for davidof, to spill the beans! The route does look really fab doesn't it? All these 'radical dudes' think they started it - poor things! Shocked Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup well done, the location is easier if you have skied in Val d'Isere. Vuarnet was 1960 Olympic Champion... and the guy who pioneered Avoriaz.

Here's killy at the 68 olympics

http://youtube.com/v/j7dCVc8Dntw

Killy has just been voted skier of the 20th century[1]. I tend to agree, no offence to Tomba et al (or Charlotte Happy

ps if you go to the Musee des Alpes in Grenoble you can actually sniff those ski boots! Shocked

[1]Queue monty python sketch here.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, here's another one, who is holding the 16mm camera and following Killy down the Slalom run in the fog, there is a clue somewhere above.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
georges joubert ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fantastic video. Makes me feel really, really, justified in having declined to follow my son down the piste perdue in rather poor visibility the year before last. snowHead
snow conditions
pretty sure it's the piste perdu, but the vid makes it look much steeper than i remember it being
ski holidays
Delighted to be right once again Little Angel

Now then, this is the best piece of skiing in history
http://youtube.com/v/DtB5SW7HYyY
snow report
Bode Swiller, i still remember watching that as a kid... it was spectacular then and still is today...
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I'm not sure I agree with you about the best, but certainly the best series of linked recoveries I've ever seen. Very Happy I thought you got Vuarnet from my hint (smilie with sunglasses) wink
snow report
easiski, OK, I did get the sunglasses hint but I probably would have got it anyway. Outside of skiing Mr Vuarnet has an interesting history; I think his wife and son committed suicide as part of a religious sect.

Klammer's run is the greatest though. One of the biggest moments in world sport, let alone just wintersport. He had just taken a call from the Austrian President suggesting that he'd better win, he had the weight of a nation on his shoulders (the streets were empty) and as for the course... no crash netting, flying by spectators and wooden fencing at 70mph, an ungroomed surface. How many of today's stars would even set out?
snow report
Bode Swiller, I don't think you can call it ungroomed - back in those days the army and an army of out of work ski teachers used to stamp the courses. Nothing like today of course - I think it would be considered waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too dangerous for H & S in today's world.

The most awesome piece of skiing I've ever seen was actually Bernard Russi in Wengen ........ He ran the timed training run, didn't want to start too early, so at the top of the zielshuss he just stood up from his tuck and wedeled down that wall! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
ok I can see I'm going to have to give you a clue to the guy following JC down the slalom run, so here is a photograph

note the compact HD video camera! Laughing
snow conditions
davidof, Willy Bogner
latest report
Killy, Tomba, Klammer are my ski heros with two additions Ken Reed, and Ingemar Stenmark. I would not like to put them in a pecking order though.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
davidof, Willy Bogner

who, of course, did the bob sequence in OHMSS (erm I think). Amazing, how with perspective, many people now say OHMSS is their fave bond movie.
snow report
I read that Diana Rigg could not stand Lazenby, something to do with his acting and ate onions before all the snogging scenes.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
davidof, Willy Bogner

who, of course, did the bob sequence in OHMSS (erm I think). Amazing, how with perspective, many people now say OHMSS is their fave bond movie.
and repeated that feat in his late 50s holding a huge and heavy Imax camera for his Imax movie The Way To Be. Skiing at 60-70mph down a bob run with no chance of bailing out... hmmmm.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
davidof, Willy Bogner

For Your Eyes Only - but you are right it was Mr. Bognor Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, now name the stunt skier Bogner followed down the bob run.
snow conditions
Great thread davidof.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Mr Vuarnet has an interesting history; I think his wife and son committed suicide as part of a religious sect.

Actually they were shot by a third party, the exact circumstances are not clearly understood but it would appear they were part of a suicide pact as you say. Or were they? The Temple du Soleil was an extremely murky group with contacts at the highest levels of Swiss political life and there seems to have been a cover up.

This is nothing new but Alain Vuarnet has recently published a book about his campaign for justice (as he sees it)

http://ma-tvideo.france2.fr/video/iLyROoaftHYh.html
ski holidays
Name the World Champion who stunt doubled for Sophie Marceau in the Bond film 'The world is not enough' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Name the World Champion who stunt doubled for Sophie Marceau in the Bond film 'The world is not enough' Toofy Grin

Francine Moreillon

If it came to a night of passion with a world champion skier like Francine I would ask Sophie Marceau to (st)unt double Happy
latest report
davidof, ah, it would appear that Sophie had two stunt doubles! I was thinking of the other one! Toofy Grin Candice Gilg Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy