Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere ski area expansion

Poster: A snowHead
I have heard rumours that the ski area in la rosiere is to be expanded and also that the long arduous drag between France and Italy is to be replaced with a chair lift - does anyone know if there is any truth in this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think a certain snowHead may have started this rumour Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
axd2 wrote:
the long arduous drag between France and Italy is to be replaced with a chair lift

It would hardly ever be useable
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
build a surface funicular
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
axd2, I don't think either is likely, the Col gets too much snow and is prone to high winds from time to time which would stop a chair lift whereas the surface lifts can continue running. The only area where I've heard expansion is likely is in the Col across from the Bellecote drags and there seemed to be an issue with the commune of Seez about land ownership, I haven't any facts just hearsay.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
axd2, welcome to snowHead
I have heard stuff about opening up the west-facing area opposite Roc Noir (on the other side of the torrent des moulins), but I think it's just speculation. I don't think a chair lift would be a better way of getting across to Italy because it can get a bit (ahem) gusty, but I don't find the drag arduous. Tedious, long, slow, and cold, but let's face it you only use it once a day at most.

David
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax wrote:
axd2, I don't think either is likely, the Col gets too much snow...

There was me thinking that la Rosiere had perfect snow fall...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordhan wrote:
I think a certain snowHead may have started this rumour Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes one snowhead was specifically heard saying to another "this town aint big enough for the both of us". Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, it wuz the drains . . . they just couldn't take any more wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
David@traxvax wrote:
axd2, I don't think either is likely, the Col gets too much snow...

There was me thinking that la Rosiere had perfect snow fall...

You may well scoff, but it is a valid point. Had there been a chairlift last Easter then a large amount of digging would have been required to make the chair useable

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally I don't like to see resorts replacing drags with chairs too much. I have heard it is mooted in another fave resort of mine and I think it is an expansionist idea, which I, as a punter, think will degrade the area.

New bigger lifts mean the lift ticket goes up...invariably, which means they want more peeps to come to the resort to cover the overhead.

It doesn't neccesarily mean it is better, just bigger and panders to too many sunshine skiers.

There are plenty on drone zones, why spoil it with another one.... if that indeed is what is about to happen.

I hope to check out La Ros this year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, I disagree with you. If this mentality was employed and drag lifts/old inefficient lifts weren't replaced then there never be any improvement and we'd all be moaning about queues or

The resort I've been to for the past 2 years has put in about 6 chair lifts in the past 10 years to replace drags. So I don't believe it has downgraded the resort for skiiers who have been regulars for the past 10 years.

Drags are uncomfortable, tiring, cold and exposed unlike other types of lifts.

The price of the lift pass isn't expensive although it gradually increases about the rate of inflation. So the new lifts have been an investment and benefited all. I therefore disagree with your argument.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christopher,

Of course, you can disagree, no problem.

My POV is that drags work in all sorts of weather and are cheaper... Big chairs just move more people out of the lift line and onto the piste..which means more people in the same place at the same time. If people dislike drags, then great, they don't go there, that is a good thing, IMV.

My view is minimalist.....cheaper lifts, cheaper overheads, less people are required to fund it....

Of course, it depends on who you speak to, if you owned property in a resort, you'd likely want it to keep expanding and therefore drive it that way, if you could.

It is a balance that can quite easily get out of sync... but any town with a spanking lift system is likely to have/need a pretty high bed count, that isn't a village, it is a town and not what I look for ...at all, with very few exceptions. You'll meet those people on the hill, in queues, in resto's and probably get hit by a few on the slopes before long.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, Have you been to La Rosiere and experienced the wind that can blow? If the link between La Rosiere and La Thuile was replaced by a chair lift then it would closed more often than open.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On windy snowy days I much prefer draglift at ground level than a chair, but I have been almost blown away when on a drag in La Rosiere (not this one though) .
ski holidays
Fogliettaz, That wasn't my point at all. But I understand and theoretically agree with it. As I've never been there I can't really comment.
snow conditions
Mixed feelings about the Col drag. It gets very cold esp. in the mornings as it is in shadow much of the way. First time we used it my toes felt that they were in the early stages of frostbite.

It is a bit of a rite of passage for skiing families, taking the kids to Italy for the first time- more to be endured though rather than enjoyed. What to do if child A falls off half way along- I'm sure I'm not the first parent to have spent an anxious 10 mins waiting for the drag to reach that final rise? Our 10 year old is particularly susceptible to cold fingers, and I don't think we've ever completed that drag without tears.

However, the skiing experience should not be anodyne and the effort involved in getting everyone across to Italy makes the trip that much more special. We have skied numerous resorts and can recall only a few lifts. The Col drag is up there with the most memorable.

On the subject of Las Ros expansion, I discussed this with a local guide (Xavier) this year, however he thought this unlikely.
ski holidays
Quote:

taking the kids to Italy for the first time- more to be endured though rather than enjoyed.

How true and I'm sure the kids that make it have a great sense of achievement. When we tried it we didn't make it because the drag was so strong it lifted my niece, a slight 8 year old, clean off the ground, fairly near the start, fortunately. She's a tough little thing, and hung on for a long time, but eventually her skis twisted round and she fell off. She was game to try again but we decided enough was enough as the same thing was quite likely to happen again.

I agree that drags are, for skiers at any rate, generally preferable to chairs in cold weather and stay open in the kind of winds which routinely close chairlifts. Indeed, in Les Saisies there's a drag that rarely opens except when a key chairlift is closed because of wind. The top of the drag is below the summit we have to get over to ski home, so walking up the last bit with skis on shoulders gets you warm before the 4-5km run home. Doesn't happen often as the chair is a modern one. It sometimes stops for long minutes at a time when the wind is highish, though, which is cold and disconcerting. On a long cold drag as I put my music on and jump around a bit to keep warm. Also, quite a lot of people have problems with chairs because they are freaked out by heights - a resort with a mix of lifts, enabling different people to get around in their preferred manner, must be the optimum.

As an occasional and incompetent snowboarder though I'd go for the chair; at least I can be sure of getting to the top. And some drags, including some in the Val D'Arly, are pretty mean. The ones that jerk you off (if you'll excuse the expression...) at the beginning are not so bad - you can just get up and get on again. But the one that goes up very steeply, through trees, where anyone who falls off has to hike through the snowy forest to a steep black mogully run is not very nice. It's one to take someone cocky who boasts that they never fall off draglifts.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy