Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 7-14th & 14-21st 2009 - LDA: Older or more cautious novices/improvers

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard, So you're proposing to snowboard without trousers? Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In a kilt. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
Lizzard, Dobz, Surely an old trout would only be someone old enough to think it's silly to wear you trousers round your knees! rolling eyes

I reckon that Old Troutdom begins at about 25 then Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, If you don't have one you can borrow mine - deffo above the knees as I got it when I was 12. NehNeh NehNeh

Dobz, Probably younger!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New info added - accommodation and cost - see edits to original post.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, lt all sounds good, a friend may be interested, group 3, more like 23, but l know she's keen to get back to basics and have a sort out, friend would like to know more, can you give me info on the lessons, how long, how many ? that sort of thing and generally any thing else that may be useful
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clare mcbride, There would be a 2 hour lesson every day with 4 in the group max. The groups can then split/reform etc. to enjoy the rest of the day. Very Happy Assuming I can get my video sorted we'll have video at least three times during the week. We can watch it anyway on the Lutins TV, but I would like to be able to offer a CD to everyone at the end of the week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, I could bring my laptop and DVD writer and do some like I did in June if we could ensure your video would talk to my computer? I am seriously thinking about train rather than air, so luggage weight wouldn't be so much of an issue and if there's a decent laundrette I could travel lighter clothes-wise!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, There are 2 launderettes and a laundry! One though is favourite as it belongs to my friend (and very good skier) Bernard. Very Happy It would only be a question of firewire, however CEM has given me a link to convert firewire to USB ....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds good, but a recent attempt to get fit has just ended abruptly with a doc telling me not to bend my knees, so I'd better opt out Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
awol, Whatever the problem is - go to see a sports physio. Doctors (IME) often tell you to do nothing or you shouldn't be doing something when it's better to move. Sports physios will want to get you fit - see what one says. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Butterfly, Gave info. to friend, she, Joanna says "count me in please" l'm so thrilled, travel to be sorted at a later date but we are considering the train Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clare mcbride, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Butterfly, Looks like you're on for some work!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to say, this looks like a fantastic idea. I'd love to be able to do something similar (unfortunately not available for those dates next year) if it all works out as well as it sounds, do you think there'll be another?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kittya, Yes - provided this one is a success. Very Happy However it's always likely to be in the less high season weeks rather than the school hols.
latest report
easiski wrote:
kittya, Yes - provided this one is a success. Very Happy However it's always likely to be in the less high season weeks rather than the school hols.

Good Smile
ski holidays
Booking info (in original post) now updated.

clare mcbride, can you PM me please with definite booking for you two, telling me which level?

I am thinking of going by train but not sure yet whether Grenoble or Lyon is the best station to go for; am considering booking with a credit card through a travel agent to try to get layers of financial protection given the current mess in the travel industry! Also thinking of trying to arrange something suitable for transfers a bit nearer to the time.
latest report
Butterfly, Assuming I'm not working on arrival or departure day I could always pick up peeps from the bus station in either Grenoble or Bourg. No point in going to Lyon by train - you'd have to get another train to Grenoble! Shocked TGV from Paris to Grenoble takes about 3 and a bit hours. The problem is crossing Paris with ski gear though. OTOH if you go to the french sncf website you should be able to find eurostar to Lille(?) and then change in the same station for Grenoble ... don't know about this for sure but have heard about it. Always best to book sncf through the french website. Very Happy

Clare McBride would be a good level 3 on the paper I've given you.
snow conditions
easiski, thanks, that's a very kind offer - I was wondering about the cost of hiring a car compared with transfer costs for several people too. As for train the tickets aren't available until 90 days before travel as far as I can find out. It is supposedly possible to book a ticket all the way from my home station as one but the website always says there are no trains available whenever I have tried to find out if this works by choosing a whole variety of times./dates. So I thought I would ask Althams, a travel agent that advertises that it offers train bookings, to see what they can come up with. Thing is if I book with SNCF or Euro-star I still have to get from home to London and that could be more expensive than getting a single ticket.

Claire PM'd to say both she and Joanna are the level 3 group so I have added them to that group in the original post.
snow report
Butterfly, Iwould charge you! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Butterfly, I've just booked (provisionally) 3 x class 2/3 for the first week! that's a third class that week. David & Andrea Meredith and Christine of twinnies fame. I will be writing to my other interested students this weekend, so will keep you in the loop. Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
Butterfly, Iwould charge you! Laughing Laughing
Still is effort on your part!

If you let me have def names and groups I will add them to the original post so everyone knows what's still available.
snow report
Butterfly, ermmm - names are above. Puzzled
latest report
easiski, I meant let me know when they're definites Wink

Details in OP updated again today.
snow report
Butterfly,
hi, maybe it's time to place my name under week 2, class 2; class 3 would be tempting though, but maybe next year Toofy Grin
I was thinking about train as well, if I was crossing Paris I would probably take a taxi,
how far is it from Grenoble to L2A ?
latest report
helena57, Thanks Very Happy , it is about 50 miles, from Grenoble, that's all and not a bad road.
ski holidays
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO BOOK
Please PM me .

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 21-10-08 18:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Bookings are going well now, so if you've been thinking about it, don't wait too much longer or you'll miss out!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I managed a quick chat with Butterfly, yesterday about the course, and it looks as though things are really hotting up at her end. More people interested in joining, so it's going to be a really fun week. Late Starter is still waiting on her work situation, but she has a couple of others she's working on. Very Happy
snow report
easiski, indeed - including someone who's worrying March is too late in the season rolling eyes still what do I know - seemed fine there in June to me snowHead Still working on that one!!
ski holidays
Butterfly, Some people! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
I have just updated the OP.
snow report
Hi there fellow snowHead Just wondering if, like Joanna and myself, any of you were travelling by train ? So far the only research l've done, is on The Resurant Bleu at Le Gare De Lyon, Looks amazing. Seriously, l know theres tons of stuff on SH on train travel to the Alpes, will get cracking on this soon
snow report
clare mcbride, we were aiming to go by train until I discovered it would probably be a lot more expensive than flying. rolling eyes It'd cost us £70 each from here just to St Pancras for starters. But I'll probably find there are special offers at the end of the day making the train cheaper!!

When I was looking, there seemed to be two rail alternatives - there are a few direct trains from Lille-Grenoble. Alternatively it's Euro-Star to Paris and a reasonably short trip across Paris to get the onwards train. Most options seemed to involve changing again in Lyon for the last few miles down to Grenoble.

You can't get rail times/prices until 90 days before travel which makes it harder to decide on the best course of action - Kathryn found Ryanair Birmingham/Grenoble was a good price and at good times, so we have gone (somewhat reluctantly!) with that, assuming that if we waited the price would probably go up or the flight would be full.

Ah well - the most important bit is that we get there - and we are going to have a great time!
latest report
Bump - just in case any newbies joining at the Show might be interested!
snow report
Butterfly,

I went Paris G d Lyon direct to Grenoble. It did indeed take a little over 3 hours which is pretty impressive.
You will probably have to allow an hour between docking at G d Nord to departing from G d Lyon ....but you will still have to be smart and on your toes
for that. Once in a cab the journey will take 10 mins in most Paris traffic conditions, IME, so a wait of 15mins at the Taxi rank isn't so much of a problem...
and that is roughly how long it would take get through a queue of 20-30 passengers in seperate cars...

I would expect the London_Grenoble journey to cost £120 on last years prices and that may well include a stage in 1st class.

Just an idea..and I think the TGV is the best way to travel as well, IMV

Oh...and you will need to be leaving Paris around 1400..which means an early-ish start from London.
On the way back, you need to be arriving in Paris to catch an 1800 train back... though you may be able to get one later, it will put you in London quite late
ski holidays
JT, I presume you get on the train at Ashford, which is quite convenient. If having to get to London first from far flung points the train loses some of it's convenience. I love the TGV too, but since doing the cross Paris on the RER (2 stops) carrying a computer base unit, big bag, attache case, and backpack I've gone off it!!! (All this with a slipped disc too). Shocked
snow report
Butterfly, Ditto Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
JT, since doing the cross Paris on the RER (2 stops) carrying a computer base unit, big bag, attache case, and backpack I've gone off it!!! (All this with a slipped disc too). Shocked

have the op wink
snow report
rayscoops, I have had ther desire to go by train surgically removed now! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy