Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 7-14th & 14-21st 2009 - LDA: Older or more cautious novices/improvers

Poster: A snowHead
Aneira, Welcome on board Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski,
I don't suppose you know how much it is to get skis tuned in LDA? chocolate box has hired skis through extreme ski as you've suggessted, so i guess if i can get them done there perhaps? just a base wax and edge sharpen? I've been a little busy to get them done here. Embarassed

As always your posts are first rate! Thanks and looing forward to meeting you in only 5 days!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly,
Any chance of you bringing your yogurt cake with you next week? I'm intrigued to try it...Ok so perhaps i ask too much but still thought i may as well see if i hit the jackpot.... Little Angel
The weather thread is making me very very excited about saturday Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevos999, Yes - they can do it, or Jacques Sport which is very close to your hotel - just don't go anywhere near the intersport also near your hotel! I doubt if Butterfly will be allowed to take a yoghurt cake on the plane. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Thanks a lot Very Happy I was walking around the my place in my boots and salopettes yesterday...had to see that they still fit after all Blush
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevos999, I will see what I can do, but with a 15kg weight limit it might be a small bit each! Oh and I did the ironing in ski boots today trying to improve my basic athletic stance (well that's what Rick calls it on the DVD!) and ankle flex. My shins started to hurt - I think they and the front of the boots have been relative strangers up till now Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, When you get here we'll get you some 'mousse' to help with that - remind me and have €13 ready.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, ok, thanks CaistorSkier won some gel shin pads at the E-oSB & I did wonder what they were for..... Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, Now you have it! However the gel stuff is good, but expensive and not such good value as the mousse. One strip will make 4 shin pads, each will last about 4 weeks of skiing and it costs as above ... gel stuff, good for one holiday and about 20€ + .... errr?????????
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly, it looks as if you're going to have absolutely tons of snow for your chaps! Take the thermals. I hope it goes really well - it's a great initiative. Have fun. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello les Deux Alpes people, some of whom I'm going to meet in the second week of Easiski's clinic snowHead ! Looking forward to it very much. Now I should strictly post the following in equipment forum (and think I did on a general basis, ages ago) but here seems more logical. A few years back I bought my daughter's old skis off her, really as a way of helping her financially but, hey ho, it was also cheaper than buying a new pair. They are Xscreams and just above my head height of 5' 6". (They are in the loft and I can't be bothered going up to check the precise length) Whilst she is the same height, she is much lighter than me and is a seriously good skier on and off piste; she used to race dry slope for the NW of England and was told she had the potential for racing - alas income was not enough to help with funding for that - and I boast only to give folk an idea of her ability. I have pottered about on them quite happily for three seasons but I know that they are not suited to my tremendous lack of ability and as the whole purpose of Easiski and other SHs having to put up with me for a week is to help me improve, I guess I am going to assist this by buying/hiring others. I'm already answering my own queries here! I have borrowed and used the venom provoking on here blades my son has for mucking about on and love them but they are obviously too short and stability does concern me, although it has never been an actual issue. I have had recs for very short skis, mainly from other women but the derision aimed at them has put me off. So, should I leave the Xscreams behind? If so, I think hiring in resort is best; opinions please? Also opinions on short skis for the piste challenged versus shorter but still within normal parameters?

Thank you all very much in anticipation,
Aneira Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aneira, as an occasional user of blades, moderately frequent user of "short skis" (not the same thing at all), I'd say you'll not get the most out of the instruction on such short skis (though I'd say the frequent Snowhead derision is well overdone, and mostly by people who have never used them and don't have anything other than prejudice to go on). But apart from their length, the X-Screams are a bit outdated - there are better skis around nowadays (whatever your ability). To get the most out of the week, I'd be inclined to hire. Easiski will be able to tell you what's best, in terms of models and length.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w,

thanks for this. I will.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly, ooh, not long now Toofy Grin . Have a great trip and well done for getting such a good group together. x

It goes without saying that you'll all be in excellent hands with the fab easiski snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, flowa, thanks snowHead

Aneira, don't worry - SkiExtreme are very good and they/Easiski will definitely make sure you have something appropriate to hire.
snow conditions
Butterfly, just two days left for us as we are leaving on Friday and traveling by train. Will you be sending out the contacts list soon?

We wondered if there will be a get together on Saturday evening - lift passes, lesson times etc. and a welcome drink of course Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Richard E, Yes, hope to do it tomorrow as it is just about as complete as it will be - just got to rearrange things a bit and I think I will have time 1st thing in the morning - off to bed now only having been in about 3/4 hour.

Sat evening I suspect we will trundle up to the Lutins for a drink at some point. Not sure what time we will get to the resort - flight is due in 16.55 and the Ben's Bus leaves Grenoble 17.30.

Am getting very excited now!
snow conditions
Aneira, If you bring the Xscreams you won't be allowed to use them, so leave them at home! Laughing You will be kitted out with the right skis to help you overcome your issues. As a point of note - I don't believe in long skis - look at the slalom skis for the WC - ladies 155, mens 165 - have you seen how big most of these guys are and how short the skis? I am 165 and my daily skis are 155 - why would a novice-intermediate skier have skis more than their chin at most (point of shoulder is better)?????? Why would anyone listen to their amateur friends for advice against a pro????

Richard E, Yes - but the timing is a little difficult as Butterfly, and co won't be in until about 19.30 at a guess. Then handyman24602 and chocolatebox as with yourselves will be having dinner in your respective hotels ... It wouldn't seem fair to not let the others get settled in. We'll work it out. Very Happy We might have to do after dinner, but some will be wilting then ...
ski holidays
Butterfly, thanks for the lists. We will give you and easiski a call on Saturday evening. Not long to go now... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Hi everybody, just wondering how good is phone reception in LDA for phones with UK network sims Puzzled
ski holidays
Had my last ski lesson on the dry slope last night went very gently as i wanted to stay in one piece ready for next week now can' t wait to put all my practice into good use on the real stuff
ski holidays
handyman24602 wrote:
Hi everybody, just wondering how good is phone reception in LDA for phones with UK network sims Puzzled

No problem at all for my O2 phone.
snow conditions
handyman24602, All good as long as you've got auto switching and roaming!

iscream, great stuff - looking forward to seeing you and Richard E, among all the rest. Very Happy
ski holidays
handyman24602, I'm on O2 now - had no issues there at all with Vodafone last summer.
ski holidays
easiski,

Advice and command received and obeyed!! Very Happy. They will stay in the loft!

I think we should get to LDA mid afternoon as it is a 7am flight. Butterfly has sent out the contact list for the second week so we should all be able to arrange for a meet up. Soooo excited now and happy first week to those of you on it,

Aneira
ski holidays
Are you flying from bham? Probably on the same flight.
ski holidays
handyman24602, Yep - 7 of us that I know of are on the 13.55 Ryanair from Birmingham and have arranged to meet in the departures lounge. I will see if I can get a SH sticker to stay on my handluggage somewhere snowHead . We are then on the 17.30 Ben's Bus from Grn.

Aneira, let us know when you're on the transfer bus what your eta is (and which drop off point) and someone will try to be there to meet you.
ski holidays
ahhh, I'm on the 0640 Thomascook from bham! early start for me Skullie .

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 5-03-09 16:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aneira wrote:
easiski,

Advice and command received and obeyed!! Very Happy......

Good start - I think you're going to get on well! Madeye-Smiley
A further tip: don't just do as you are told in classes - carry on doing it afterwards. easiski has eyes all over the mountain. Shocked
Slipping standards as you innocently bimble around can result in a reprimand from The Unmistakeable Voice. Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
achilles, Usually from a chairlift above when least expected Laughing
latest report
Colin B, yup! At least you can't say she doesn't care Laughing

Have fun, Aneira and the rest of you - easiski's is just about as good as ski instruction gets. snowHead
ski holidays
achilles, thanks snowHead
ski holidays
Well that's work finished and just the finishing touches to the packing before departure tomorrow morning - getting very excited now Very Happy snowHead

Looking forward to meeting others from week 1 over the weekend.
latest report
achilles, caught someone out today wink wink Laughing Laughing Laughing thanks for the kind words.

email going out later this evening to all. Very Happy
snow report
Have a good trip all of you.
Richard E and iscream, no injuries to disrupt August's festivities Very Happy
latest report
achilles, Yes, I kept hearing 'that' voice.......even in Glencoe wink Laughing

Have a great week everyone.
snow report
stevos999 wrote:
Butterfly,
Any chance of you bringing your yogurt cake with you next week? I'm intrigued to try it...Ok so perhaps i ask too much but still thought i may as well see if i hit the jackpot.... Little Angel
Very Happy

Cake baked tonight! I rang the airport who say there's certainly no problem as far as they're concerned and recommend packing it in handluggage in case it gets damaged in a suitcase! They saw no reason why the French customs would have an issue with it either - so you could be in luck!
ski holidays
Hi everyone, really looking forward to meeting everyone on the 14th. Sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun.
snow report
Nick L, thanks Cool
snow report
Have a great time all you Les Deux Alpers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy