Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Effect of high flight costs on your trips next season

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering about this (and a couple of other threads are getting polluted with chat on this topic).

How many people are drastically altering (e.g. driving instead of flying) or thinking of outright cancelling a trip for next season as a consequence of flights (especially half term ones) being so expensive?

I'm seriously considering driving, which previously I would have thought an act of madness.

How is it affecting you?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All my trips to the Alps next season will be by car because I can only go in school holidays and therefore driving a family of 4 is cheaper than flying Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flying was cheaper than driving for my trip to Tignes in December for 3 weeks, I'm going to drive though so I can take as much stuff as I want for 3 weeks without worrying about the luggage allowance, baggage people trashing my kit or them losing any of it! Plus fancied a change. I'm a bit sick of airports now. For more expensive times though the costs are comparable as long as there are at least 2 passengers going I think. It's a bit pricey driving to France for one person.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm flying to Tignes for a weekend in December (if Easyjet ever release the flights) which I hope wont be very expensive. Also flying to Zermatt at half term, got a good price with BA by booking as soon as they were released. I'm driving to Les Deux Alpes at Easter but for reasons other than flight costs. I must admit for cost and other reasons (the course I wanted to go on isn't running) I'm considering canning my January trip. Original plans were probably too extravagant anyway.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I changed country, top that! (and went for a fuel-included company car)

I doubt that the relative cost of flying and driving will change that much - fuel must have gone up by c. 20%, too.

Had I stayed in the UK, it's most likely that I'd have had to cut back on 3 weeks plus 3 weekends.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon wrote:
I doubt that the relative cost of flying and driving will change that much - fuel must have gone up by c. 20%, too.

The route I flew last half term is up by approximately 100%.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
None, driving isnt an option but have already booked flights and watched them increase since. The word is flights could increase by 40%, so hopefully will have a half empty plane Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It doesn't directly affect me, but it does affect friends who might borrow our apartment at half term. The prices are horrendous - I do feel sorry for anyone stuck with this week. Driving is going to be very trying too, for anyone who can't get down very close to resort by Friday night, or travel on Sunday. Teachers have no option, but at the risk of starting another round of a familiar Snowheads argument, I think more people will think of taking their kids out of school and going at the cheap time in early January (which is what we always did when we went skiing with school age kids; we couldn't have afforded it otherwise).

Otherwise, I suppose a lot of people will go in the March/Easter holidays - or at Christmas. My teacher daughter and her partner are now looking at Christmas/New Year, travelling on the less popular days.

Driving will certainly be substantially than those half term flights, even with an overnight stop. Return Stansted/Geneva with one bag and a pair of skis, £400!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
none at all, flight costs are slightly more than hoped for but not prohibitively so. We don't ski at half term because of the extortionate cost, preferring Easter instead for our one family ski week. Other trips are long weekends during off peak times.

Not surprised by the high cost of half term week given that it;s the same week for the whole of the UK next year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm booked in for a week in the Ski Amade from 10-17 January, with flight costs at £170pp all in, compared to £200pp for a New Year trip last year, or £105 for a pre-Easter trip, so I'm not seeing a major increase for the main part of the season. This of course depends on which carrier you are flying with and from/to where, and certainly this year both Ryanair and Easyjet were up significantly compared to the prices I was seeing last year when I did a full costing for our trips. The direct result of this is that I'm flying with Jet2.com from Leeds/Bradford rather than from Stansted, Luton or Coventry which are my preferences as far as airports go, or Thompson/Easyjet/Ryanair as carriers who have provided flights for me previously.

Half term and New Year have always been expensive, but this year with synchronised half term dates over most of the UK, it looks like many of the TOs and airlines are trying to screw as much cash as they can out of their customers, since their usual 2-week rush period is going to be half that this year, so the prices need to be twice as much...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ousekjarr wrote:
this year with synchronised half term dates over most of the UK, it looks like many of the TOs and airlines are trying to screw as much cash as they can out of their customers, since their usual 2-week rush period is going to be half that this year, so the prices need to be twice as much...

That's a very astute observation, hadn't thought about it in quite those terms.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The flights I paid £520 for last February half-term are £1400 this year.

So, I'm either going to drive or go at Easter.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're flying into Seattle and driving up rather than flying directly into BC - but that's a bit of a quirk of the pricing structure as it every 3 years or so it seems to be significantly cheaper to do it that way. Otherwise will drive out usual at Easter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since I can't drive or swim across the Atlantic, I'll have to swallow the far higher fuel surcharge. Bigger issue is my wife's "significant" birthday is buggering up my usual World Economic Forum ski week on empty slopes in Davos.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No affect. When I work, I work hard enough so that when I need the break, I just do! I wonder if all the price increases will affect the resorts this year, I appreciate that as a punter it would be more difficult to judge as the week you are there could well be the week for some reason the resort is full. Skiing can be an expensive holiday, money will be spent by us all, we may save a few € on flights but IME seem to spend the savings made there in the resort with that extra bottle of wine at lunch! Will let you know re rental occupancy at end of season. My feeling is that it may not, but that is only a feeling!
snow report
The projected overall cost of our annual family christmas ski trip hasnt rised considerably. Because we're staying in cheaper accomodation.

Saying that we haven't booked our flights at the moment and yes for the budget airlines even at peak times they are expensive.

I have contemplated taking eurostar then TGV as an alternative, but I'm sure thats no cheaper.
ski holidays
Driving to the North America can be a bit of a challenge Very Happy
latest report
Seems to have hit families hardest then, which makes sense. The independent traveller, couple without kids, group of lads, etc. can not only be flexible with dates to avoid the school holidays which the airlines are really exploiting this year, but can swallow the extra cost a little more easily than a family of 4+ where at least 2 of the punters can't pay for themselves and the cost therefore takes on a big muiltiplier.

I definitely don't see it affecting my usual January trip with my mates, the Feb family do is another matter. Am right on the cusp of booking something, but still wavering a bit and wondering whether to move it to Easter.
snow report
I'm thinking of binning a States trip I was planning. I was planning to see family as well as ski - but the family member may be coming over here this year - so part of the reason for going may have gone. Looking at a mix of cost and convenience, driving out to the Alps (which involves buying winter tyres, as well as the more obvious costs) and slinging the Rockies is looking to have the edge.
snow report
paulio, On the Easter v Half term issue we went Easter last year after 5 half term family trips and thought it was so much more enjoyable .... not just because it was cheaper .. longer days, less crowded slopes, far fewer lift queues. It was less frenetic the kids had time before/after the actual ski holiday to relax and weren't so frowsy on the Monday to start school. And the snow was much better Smile I know that can't be relied on but in recent years snowfall in March has been good which has meant plenty of snow at Easter, provided it isn't too late.

Economic factors are certainly affecting our holiday plans -my work is freelance and 80% of income in last 5 years has come from property & construction sector. So far this year I'm 30% down and it's not looking like improvin any time soon Sad
ski holidays
stanton, but sounds like a fun challenge though Smile

Handy living only a 5 hour drive from a significant portion of the alps. In general, prices for car (fuel+parking), plane (inc. transfers), and train (inc. transfers) all come out about the same for a single traveller, independent of recent fuel price rises. FRA-GVA with inclusive transfers to chalet comes out much less if you book early.

Train in general needs about 4 changes and all the associated hassle of bundling onto a train with shedloads of gear. Plane is a bit better with private transfers or rental car.
Car gives ultimate flexibility and opportunity to fine tune arrival/departure for extra (half) days on the slopes.

So probably car again for me (with Winter tyres this time)
ski holidays
High fly costs are a good thing.
The environmental cost of (99p) budget flights to Europe clearly isn't factored in.
Especially when people are flying over for weekend trips etc.....
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, yawn yawn
ski holidays
Well if we all carry on yawning there might not actually be much snow left in 40 years time....
Though I suspect that could be the least of future generations worries.

Environmentally I need to hold my own hand up - probably as guilty as the next.
However clearly we cant all carry on flying ryan air for 99p...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 8-07-08 11:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
High fly costs are a good thing.
The environmental cost of (99p) budget flights to Europe clearly isn't factored in.
Especially when people are flying over for weekend trips etc.....

Environmental offsetting should be part of a constant taxation that is applied to flights, not to the flight costs themselves.

And there is no imaginable 'environmental' reason why a flight on Feb 14th should be twice or three times as expensive as the same flight one week earlier.

Higher costs as a 'green' solution is controversial anyway as all it does is ensure that only the wealthy can damage the enviroment, rather than fix the problem of environmental damage. But this is all a different subject and I would prefer this thread to stay on topic please. Smile
ski holidays
I'm going to drive in December, then back in May NehNeh
snow report
Swirly, me too!
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
I'm going to drive in December, then back in May NehNeh

Nice - which resort did you decide on?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, yeah where you going? Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

And there is no imaginable 'environmental' reason why a flight on Feb 14th should be twice or three times as expensive as the same flight one week earlier.

Not to mention a half empty plane does no less demage to the environment as a full plane either.

My holidays are limited by the amount of time off rather than by cost. So, I'll carry on with flying to whatever holiday destination I fancy. Due to the limit of time, I usually fly directly to airport as close to slope as I can find. That reduced travel cost the environment less, even if it cost ME more in ticket price. Though since I'm by no means rich, I tend to economize by going to destination that are cheaper and hunting for flights that are cheaper. So I'm helping to fill the most empty planes/slopes/hotels, which has fixed environmental impact even if no customer comes, rather than overloading the busy ones.
snow report
rob@rar, VolklAttivaS5, Les Deux Alpes, still 5 months but I can't wait.

Annie, where are you off to?
ski holidays
Swirly, nice one - bet you can't. Am v envious.
ski holidays
Swirly, are you going on your own and getting an apartment on your own too?
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm going to drive in December, then back in May

Good luck with finding a parking space. NehNeh
latest report
Easyjet flights for last New Year cost £1081 - flights for next New Year costed at £1694 rolling eyes
I'm seriously looking at the alternatives of driving, taking the Eurostar or dare I say, it no skiing at all this New Year and booking at a different time Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Probably going to have to abandon our trip to Ischgl at halfterm - flights £250 each to Munich with Easyjet for family of four. Unfortunately we are a party of 12 and I am finding it difficult finding anything else. Have sat in Travel Agents this afternoon trawling through stuff, but not at all easy so have left it with them to find us something. With 12 people either the flights are full or not enough accommodation. Haven't cancelled hotel yet as holding out for a miracle that Innsbruck flights are within reason, but then it would be a problem as they are Sunday to Sunday, so an extra night in a hotel is an extra cost factor.
latest report
Quote:

dare I say, it no skiing at all this New Year and booking at a different time

It's a bit cussed to go at New Year if you have the alternative to go at a cheaper, quieter, time with more likelihood of good snow.
snow report
Have just made the decision not to wait in vain any longer for any 'cheap' flights yet to be released for feb half term and have booked Eurotunnel. Out on Friday 13th Feb and returning Sunday 22nd for total of £137.00. With four of us travelling it really does seem to make economic sense to drive even factoring in all the additional costs of staying overnight both ways. Have always flown before so it will be a new experience but one i'm quite looking forward to. Given that a lot of people may be thinking along the same lines I didn't want to run the risk of not getting the crossing i wanted and also wasn't sure if the prices on Eurotunnel go up the nearer you get to departure date? Will be heading to Le Grand Bornand so not the longest drive and also hopefully not too crowded with us Brits but will have to see!
snow conditions
loatie, £137 for a return tunnel crossing over half term weekends sounds like good value. Was this booked direct with euro tunnel or elsewhere ?
ski holidays
We are a family of seven . I have a good flat in Sauze Doulx which is cheap ( belongs to a friend) flights from Stansted to Turin are £1069 95 for February half term, coming bacjk on the Thursday though. I am waiting to see easyjet price from Luton to Turin. Anyone any ideas when they will be released?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy