Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is April too late for Canada / Whislter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been meaning to get the finger out and book 2 weeks in Canada - probably Whistler. I really don't understand the way Easter moves about, nor do I want to, but as its in March this year it means I'm really having to look at booking for the 1st two weeks in April.

Any opinions / experience of what conditions are generally like at that time of year?? It would be a shame to go the whole way out there for the first time to end up paddling in slush!
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Early April is do-able.
You might be better with Colorado - Winter Park has some great snow late March/early April
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope it's still OK - I'll be there until the end of April!! snowHead
Will probably be slushy low down, but you can get that any time of year in Whistler!! Hopefully higher up will hold out, then there's always the Glacier if the worst happens. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adam Holt, I've twice been to Whistler at the start of April. The snow at village level tended to be a bit soft, and on the last day of one holiday a real thaw set in, you could almost see the snow recede up the mountain. Having said that I would go again at that time of the year, there was plenty of snow about.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there last week march/first week april this year and agree with CaB. By about 3.30pm the snow was really soft and slushy.
We went for the fresh tracks options at CAN$7 per day (lift up at 7.15, breakfast in the lodge, Ski with 1/2 hr beer/lunch/waffle break at the Crystal Hut then hit the bar at about 16.00.). After the 7.15 lifts no-one else can come up until they open 08.30ish, so you get the hill to yourselves for a while.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
WTFH - I'll be honest - I'm not too keen on the States .... full stop. Also I'm keen to stay on-site as in, in the resort. I seem to remember you telling me that with Winter Park you had to stay some distance away?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Adam,
Take a look here and go to the archive it has a day-by-day report on snow conditions from previous years (from a non-intrawest I presume source). The report on end feb/start march last year was pretty much what I remember from being there, as was the one for the time I was there in 2003.
http://www.dualmountain.com/report/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check that out shortly Stuarth.

oh bug, I'm not convinced now. Maybe I'll just have to take the hit on the credit card and go last 2 weeks in March over Easter! but it'll be so busy then won't it!!!?!!?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The advice I've had from Canadian skiers is that April is really too late for Whistler if you're paying small fortune to fly over from Europe, so I'm leaving it until the kids stop skiing with us, we can rejoin the human race and ski in early March. I've skied a lot in Banff (Sunshine and L/Louise) at Easter, and they've always been good, usually been great (L.Louise is the first to go as it's lower).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A lot depends on what you want and some luck. I have been to Whistler a few times. In April I have had fresh snow on a few days out of 10, in early March it has rained up to the mountain top. Usually I imagine the folowing might apply. It will be good to very good from mid mountain upwards. From mid mountain downwards it will be iffy. Answer- download on the gondola to avoid the end of day scrum and the glop. At the base the only snow you will likely see is by looking up the mountain or on an advertising board. Conversely the sun may be shining at the base, the climate may be temperate and it is just the place to enjoy a beer- or it may be raining, which it does a fair bit. The benefit of that is rain at the base (2000ft) usually means snow at the top (7000ft). April is likely too late for top to bottom skiing, but who does that at Whistler anyway- what you do is get up top and stay there. No chance you will have exhausted the options in 7 or 10 days skiing. Mid mountain and below is the way home, nothing else and the gondola does that for you.

Crowds will be low by then ,both mountains should still be open- they close Blackcomb ( I think) in late April and you may coincide with the Telus Festival in the village which always creates a buzz.

I have been there over Easter and Easter Monday was a zoo, combining US and Canadian holidays, which meant loads of people- the catchment area is both the Seattle and Vancouver conurbations which is a lot of people, plus it is popular with young Americans because the drinking laws in Canada are 19 as opposed to 21 in the US.

My advice, dont be afraid to go in April, whether it ends up better than Banff etc is a lottery that you cant foresee and I would avoid the Easter Weekend. Vancouver is likely a cheaper place to fly into than Calgary and once in Whistler you walk or bus to the lifts- you do not need a car.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in Whistler in early feb and it was slushy at the village come the end of the day! Of course my one experience is far from being an absolute, but I wouldnt go there as late as April. If you want canada..... my parents have gone to LL area sucessfully at that time of year but even still they reported the conditions to be 'not comparable' to anywhere else they have been in the height of winter....

ad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buns wrote:
I was in Whistler in early feb and it was slushy at the village come the end of the day! Of course my one experience is far from being an absolute, but I wouldnt go there as late as April. If you want canada..... my parents have gone to LL area sucessfully at that time of year but even still they reported the conditions to be 'not comparable' to anywhere else they have been in the height of winter....

ad

But was it slushy up top? Certainly wasn't in late feb. The runs to the base at the end of the day aren't exactly great even in the best conditions - more a survival job than skiing (Dave Murray to Creekside is better). I seem to recall having excellent snow at the end of feb/start of march, when we reached the bottom I was grateful for the water resistance of Goretex XCR in the torrential downpour and was ready to swap for some waterskis!!
Better to enjoy the rest of the mountains and then download (even if it seems a bit like wimping out!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with Stuarth, the run down to Creekside is fine, but why would anyone want to ski down ,at the end of the day, in crowds and crappy snow,to the Whistler or Blackcomb base when you can take the gondola? The one time I did it, I hated it and one of our group caught a ski in the snow, fell over and broke his wrist. After that it was the gondola for me. I have never sustained any injury in the gondola, crowds are low, the view is usually good and I arrive at bottom rested and able to get easily to the nearest bar, of which there are a few.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well we ski'd down at the end of the day for a couple of reasons..... first being that that end run was just fine for us beginners and secondly that it is the fastest way to get back to the fairmont Very Happy

But yes, it was only the bottom where it was slushy..... im just saying if it is possible to be like that in Jan, then there is alot more risk in april

ad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin, Wise words! Taking the gondola down at the end of the day is the right option, especially for us older types who recover more slowly from twist injuries cause by soft snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy