Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (Summer) getting up to the glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Does it involve much time/hassle to get from Tasch up to Zermatt and then up to the glacier?

We’ll be camping in Tasch (or somewhere near there – which ever campsite we end up on) as we have no intention of lugging camping/snow gear up to the Zermatt campsite. Will we spend half the morning travelling?

Is there a sensibly priced ski hire shop near the train/telecabin station?
We’ll be taking our own boots but probably be looking to hire Board/Skis as we’re a bit stuck for space in the car.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JanA, It's been a fair few years since I was in Zermatt, however I seem to recall that Tasch to Zermatt takes just over 10 mins on the train, however I seem to recall that theres a fair distance between the station and the cableway but it has been many years and I could well be wrong about that, you could try PM ing stab he's been to Zermatt recently and could I'm sure give you more info
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going there on friday Very Happy
It basically takes around an hour (it can be just over half hour depending on queues and whatever) from zermatt to the glacier so add in like D G Orf said, 10/15 minutes up from tasch then another 10 minutes walk through town to the gondola thing. Depends on the campsite as well, some of them are a fair way out of tasch.

There is a hire shop right outside the lift station, dont know the prices as I never hire.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info folks Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JanA, The lift system in Zermatt is rubbish. You should budget atleast 2hrs to get from Tasch to glacier. Good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
JanA, The lift system in Zermatt is rubbish. You should budget atleast 2hrs to get from Tasch to glacier. Good luck.

what by foot?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only been in the Winter but to dispel some of Whitegold's myths. the lift system is not rubbish but neither is it the best:-
- Tasch up to Zermatt is only about 10 minutes or so and the trains are pretty regular
- Walking from the station to the Gondola is quite a long trek at least 15 minutes and even more in ski boots, if the ski bus runs in summer I'd take it or even a taxi if there a few of you.
- I seem to remember it taking about 40 minutes from the bottom station to the top if things went well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tent to slope will take 2 hrs.

The trains are pedestrian. The lifts are disjointed and slow.

Zermatt is a great resort. But its lift system sucks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, the only train that you get is the Tasch express which is pretty fast now - as long as you don't have to wait for the Glacier Express to pass!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JanA, We did exactly that a few years ago. We used skiing as a rest day from walking/climbing. The trains from Tasch aren't too bad - or you can (for nearly the same money) use Taxi Freddy to get into Zermatt. Does leave you with a longer walk though. We took our own skis and boots - Mrs Ski carried her boots to the lift (it's a good 10-15 min walk), I used some leather tele boots that are better for walking than they are for skiing.

There is a big hire shop right by the lift - so you can get your skis there. It does take a loooooooooooong time to get up to the snow tho'
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have to agree with Whitegold, on this, I too believe it could take the best part of 2 hours to get from your accomodation to the KM glacier. A beautiful place but very invonvenient to get skiing. We used a ski hire shop outside the Gornagrat train station. Cant remember how much ski hire was though, sorry! Sad

Have fun and send us a few pics back!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Camped in Taesch last summer for midsummer skiing.

The campsite in Taesch is practically next to the train station, so the walk to station is about 5-10 minutes. Trains every 15 minutes or so will take 12 minutes. Walk from zermatt station to the first gondola about 20 minutes if you're carrying gear. After that it's 3 gondolas up - say 45 minutes. All in all I would say hour and a halfish.

That is not including the 15 minutes gasping for air every day, to get used to the thin air up there snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surely 2 hours travelling is worth it for a spot for of summer skiing?

I wouldn't hesitate if I was there and had adequate funds.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, Then a better place to stay would be Furi!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's why I've booked an apartment 300 metres from the Klein Matterhorn Station for half term. That's also the start point for the ski bus if I want to start from the other stations one morning.
latest report
Colin B, Sounds wonderful, you are making me jealous already. What place are you staying at?
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, Booked a studio in a block called Sonnheim through Interhome, it's on Oberdorfstrasse. Fine just for the 2 of us, only £400 for the week (inc Ski Club discount).
snow report
Colin B wrote:
Roy Hockley, Booked a studio in a block called Sonnheim through Interhome, it's on Oberdorfstrasse. Fine just for the 2 of us, only £400 for the week (inc Ski Club discount).

We stayed in that apartment at New Year Smile

It was really nice, comfy bed and sofa, decent kitchen and it had a bath which was really appreciated after a hard days skiing. It was great being so near the lifts and we could ski to about 50m from apartment at New Year, good choice!
ski holidays
lynseyf, Thanks that's good to know, not easy to tell from their website. Bit more of a stroll into town but no problem in shoes, unless the paths are as icy as last January when I was there.
latest report
Sounds wonderful, enjoy!
latest report
 Eva
Eva
Just came back from Zermatt after climbing the Zinalrothorn (4200m). We took a transfer from Täch to Zermatt, you can get them at any of the garages for parking in Täch, about 4€.
It is pretty far from Zermatt up to the glacier in the summers, it took us 5 hours to walk up to the Rothornhutte (refuge just below the glacier on 3100m). But the walk is beautiful!
Take a look at our pictures from the trip at http://www.mountainspirit.info/gallery.asp?galleryID=59
snow conditions
Eva, Nice pics! Welcome to snowHead 's by the way!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy