Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis - Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Right, I'm a newby. Sorted.
Here's the situation:
I stupidly rushed in and bought some Salomon Dumont twin tip skis, luckily getting them at a knock down price. I read a review about them on a website (of which I can't remember) and it implied they were for people who could ride through park and pipe, but not especially well, who were finding their way and still learning basics/intermediate. After buying them, I have discovered on numerous other sites, that this is not the case. My own fault, I should've checked, but that's that. Personally, I'm probably around the novice/intermediate level, haven't had the chance to try any spins other than 180 which I can do, and can do boxes easily, and simple flat rails. Still finding my way with any other rails. I have recently come up with the idea of keeping them for future seasons when I've improved a bit.
Taking all this into account, I could buy a pair more suited to my needs. Money's not too much of an issue, if there's something I need to buy, I work and save until I have the money, its that simple. I never really spend it on anything anyway. I'm about 6"2+, so I think I'm looking for skis around 170-173. I would just like to know where I should start, and what skis would be good for me, from someone who knows a bit about what they are talking about. Its important to note that I'm not PURE P&P, I do piste ski a bit as well, and also that I'm looking to push myself as far as I can, not just basic stuff.
So, basically:
Would it be best to keep these skis/sell them and get some others?
Which skis would you recommend/do you think could be a good place to start?

Any help on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
Will.[/quote]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sell Dumont's. Pick up cheap 2nd hand Trouble Makers. PM sent

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 4-07-08 15:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
By piste ski do you mean like normal ones? I know for a fact I need and want twin tips...
Sorry if that was irrelevant, I don't really know anything about all this stuff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Murray, Not sure why you want twin tips but a good recomendation would be the K2 Public Enemy you will pick up a pair at around the £200 mark for last years skis. Good for a bit of everything. Saloman 1080 are great especially last years ones with the monkey graphics very cool

As a beginner I would be more inclined to tell you to go for a good all mountain ski as a starter Atomic Nomad/ Nordica Hot Rod or a good carver Saloman aero But if you want to be a park rat then twin tips are the way to go Happy shopping
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't buy arv's dodgy second hand skis wink

Seriously if you're 6 2 and not a total rake then the usual rules re "advanced" skis can probably be flexed a bit provided you have actually used skis before. Personally I wouldn't stress out to much about it but then I'm not a park monkey. If you are park monkey the quality of the semi clad women or bling or gunz on your skis is probably more important than technical spec anyway wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you want a straight park ski or one that isn't going to kill you all mountain?

If you're 6'2 you want something 180-186ish imo, especially for twins where the tail steals a fair amount of the length, especially if you want to mount it forwards - 170 twins will be more or less snowblades...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, I sold my trouble makers last year Cool Also my Hot Rod's wouldn't suit an "intermediate" whatever that term implies!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hah! I would insert the laughing smiley here, but it really doesn't look like he's laughing....

Yeah that's what I had originally thought, but with more ponderance I have recently thought otherwise.... hmm.

Well I was told 175s would be too long for me, but I'm beginning to think that's bull.... I really think I've been conned. The guy at the store I bought them off said that I would, and I quote, "struggle to turn them". Which I thought was straaaange....

arv said probably about 175s for me. I don't want particularly long skis, because its more effort to spin those isn't it? 180 just seems to be pushing it a little, I thought. But I don't know much.

Nah, not a straight up park ski. A one that is usable to a decent standard on piste and off piste, but its main field to be freestyle.
When I say off piste, I'm not talking full on extreme big mountain back country sh*t, just a bit of exploring here and there...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
175 TR would be perfect given your stats. Super easy ski to ski.. 81 waist i believe any fatter and you'll be compromising both park and piste, as for off piste check how skinny the skis are that these dudes are on...

http://youtube.com/v/HGd4jatccUM
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen that vid before, its great. Neck deep snow, jesus!

Hmm... I'm not sure what to do....

:/

The Dynastar TM does sound like a plan.... But still..... hmmmm.

I think too much.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that or the Jon Olsson Head at 178 if you want to go a bit longer.. both awesome skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not a big fan of the graphics on that one I'm afraid. If I were to get a new pair, it would probably be the TM.... I'll speak to a guy I know who works in a mountain centre near me. See if he knows anything about them, and if he seconds what you've said.

Did you get those last PMs I sent you?
Sorry for the constant pesterage mate.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Murray, Go for the TM's in a 175, its a good ski for P&P and handles itself ok outside too. Make sure you get them with some decent bindings, not the dodgy rental type ones, and get them centre mounted, will help with balance in the air and spinning.

If you look around you could pick up a set from last year cheap Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I see. So you reckon ditching the Dumonts and getting some skis more my level is the right way to go?
Centre mounted... Hadn't thought about any of that. Yeah, I imagine that makes it much easier to spin/grind. Although it'll compromise acceleration, but that's not really important.

Right I don't really know anything about bindings, but do you know anything about any of these:
Salomon Z10Ti
PX Team JIB
PX 12 Ti
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Murray, don't get em centre mounted if you want to use them as a piste ski aswell. Sorry to contradict.
snow report
Ah. I had not thought of that also. Damn this is confusing. If they are centre mounted, will it make a large difference for piste skiing?
If they are not centre mounted, will it make a large difference in the park and pipe?

So many questions, I know.
snow conditions
Murray, if they are centre mounted they would not be as good to ski on piste, and it could cause problems when you venture off. IF they are not centre mounted it won't make much of a difference to your park skiing at your current level.
ski holidays
arv, no worries!!

IMO troublemakers perfrom better when centremounted, in and out of the park. Even flat out carving the feel stable with a bit of extra length at the back. They do take a while to get used to, especially off piste, but pesonally i prefer it Very Happy

As for the bindings, i have the PX12jib and think they are great, and would always prefer them over salomon's, but thats personal choice.
ski holidays
freestyleandy, Disagree. Especially offpiste. They are a pretty thin ski as it is and the last thing you want is the tip to dive and throw you off. Also I have never found them to have too little at the back when mounted towards the rear.
latest report
arv, I use mine for mainly park thats why i like them centre mounted. I find it helps when taking off switch.

Murray, if your going to keep the dumonts for when you get a bit more experience, try and get the set up as similar as possible, then when you change skis it won't feel as strange Very Happy
ski holidays
Ah I see. Well, I like the idea of selling them to be honest, I can't afford another pair too Smile Know anyone that wants some? lol. 171s, with bindings, not attatched. Bindings are Salomon Z12Ti I believe.....

I'm gonna throw another topic up, I'm undecided between which ones to get....
I wont say which ones its between, you'll have to go onto that one to find out Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy