Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort for group of mixed ability skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a resort that would be suitable for a group of 10 that covers a wide range of ability; a few people have only skied for a week last year, whereas one is from Canada and would like to experience the best skiing possible for her first time in Europe!

In an ideal world, we would like to keep the cost down too....we will be flying from Dublin.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Iain
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wallacei, La Rosiere
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wallacei, welcome to snowHeads Smile

The skiing in Courchevel, and across the Trois Vallees, would certainly provide all your group with suitable terrain. There is a choice of villages in the Courchevel valley, with a range of prices to suit. Although it is possible to spend the family inheritance in Courchevel, it is also possible to have a reasonably price holiday there, skiing in one of the best resorts in the world.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wallacei, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I have yet to see David@traxvax, recommend any resort other than La Rosiere as the answer to any and every request, but then he has commercial interests there so it is not surprising!

For the best skiing in Europe, you could consider Chamonix, St Anton, Zermatt, 3 valleys, Tignes/Val d'Isere among others. They would probably not all suit the extremes of your group and they are some of the more expensive resorts.

As a generalisation, I have found Austria to be cheaper than France - it is also probably the best apres-ski in Europe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Five minutes before La Ros was mentioned
is that a record Toofy Grin

wallacei, Welcome to snowHeads.
I must apologise for the above, it is a of the few 'in' jokes on snowHeads.
La Ros is the answer to any resort query wink

To answer your question I would second Rob's thoughts above perhaps with a reccomendation (based on cost) to stay in La Tania www.latania.co.uk
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
wallacei, welcome to snowHeads Smile

The skiing in Courchevel, and across the Trois Vallees, would certainly provide all your group with suitable terrain. There is a choice of villages in the Courchevel valley, with a range of prices to suit. Although it is possible to spend the family inheritance in Courchevel, it is also possible to have a reasonably price holiday there, skiing in one of the best resorts in the world.

second Rob's comment- could also reccomend on this criteria Serre Chevalier, Alpe d'Huez, LaPlagne (some of pisted terrain is a bit dull ducks and runs for cover), Les Arcs would suit. Not sure I agree with Val d'sere or St Anton as eeting the criteria for a spread. Possibly also Morzine if good year for low lying resorts. Lech in Austria would suit but harder to find cheap holiday and easier to spend king ransom than courchevel 1850
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd second either the 3 valleys or Les Arcs.

I'd also agree with Ray Zorro that we have found Austria cheaper for the type of accommodation we stay in (half-board hotel) and of a better standard. The apres ski is certainly an experience in Austria and not to be missed especially for someone coming from Canada. I don't know where to recommend in Austria though that is reasonably cheap-ish, top-class skiing and also suitable for beginners. Nah - I'll stick with my recommendation of Les Arcs or 3 Valleys Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wallacei, where can you get reasonably priced flights to from Dublin? That would be criteria 1.

If Geneva flights are available and good-value;

Chamonix has much more skiing for mixed groups than is normally believed. (I will admit immediately to a commercial interest). As examples, we had two groups of 20 last year both of which ranged from 1-week to highly-experienced - and both of which had a great time. (I would hope all of our clients have a great time, of course). If you have a friend who's used to Canada...it seems a shame not to...

Morzine/Portes du Soleil would also work and is a favourite of mine.

I won't comment on 3Vs as I don't see why I'd want the additional transfer time for no (to me) apparent benefit. Likewise Val d'Isere/Tignes/Les Arcs - additional time on bus (from Geneva).

Having just been curious, you can get Aer L to Geneva, Zurich, Munich, Salzburg and Ryanair to Milan. So you can easily do all sorts of places (assuming prices are OK). Milan might be interesting as you could do Champoluc/Monterosa (although more advanced skiers might be a little limited), Courmayeur or even Chamonix through the tunnel. It's probably your cheapest flight option although it does mean you need to get on a Tryanscare flight.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am I the only one who saw the humour in David@traxvax's , post?

wallacei, Welcome to SnowHeads Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would have though Serre Chevalier would be a good bet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or you could try the Skiwelt - when it gets a bit empty in Ireland during the winter that's where the Irish are Little Angel I always enjoy the Skiwelt and the villages have a great atmosphere. Best Apres IMO there is in Soll (although had heard reports it's become a bit rowdy??? but maybe someone who's been there more recently can give you a better idea).
Aer Lingus to Salzburg is best but sometimes their Saturday flights are expensive, if you can book them at just the right time you'll get a good deal - usually about 3 months before you go. Ryanair to Salzburg also or Aer Lingus to Munich and there are tons of ways to connect (through Frankfurt is good) and get to Innsbruck. Should be something for everyone skiiing-wise and plenty of cheap accommodation to be had - and cheap beer more importantly. When do you plan to go?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say Serre Che & if your Canuck buddy is a real ripper she can go check out La Grave for something they just don't have on the same scale (lift served) in Canada.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies, all very informative.

We are planning to go for the new years week, 28th Dec. I have never skied that early, and I didn't realize how peak season it was! The flights to Salzburg are expensive...Zurich is a bit cheaper. I am not sure if it is just too early to book the flights yet..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wallacei, It is only peak season because it is holiday time, not because of snow quality.

You want high resorts at that time of year if you really want to be sure of snow, or at least resorts with glaciers nearby in case of poor snow at lower levels.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wallacei, Flights won't get any cheaper for that week than they are now, I would advise booking early for that time of year.

Resorts near Zurich with a good early snow record include Ischgl, which although maybe not extreme skiing for your Canadian friend, would still give them plenty of good skiing and there would be a good mix for the rest. It has a reputation for being the ultimate apres town.
ski holidays
I would 2nd David Murdoch, on Chamonix having been there last winter with a mixed group myself.
Les Hoches is nice for a couple of days also. (on the area pass, 30 mins on bus or so from Chamonix centre)
latest report
wallacei, any choice of dates? That's about the busiest week of the year, and not that good for snow.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, having skied for 5 decades and skied in most European resorts I consider La Rosiere to be an ideal destination for groups of mixed abilities, it's one of the reasons we bought a chalet there. As far as I'm aware you've never been to La Rosiere so how come you're such an authority?
snow report
Maybe a resort with a wide range of pistes near to one of the expert resorts would work. As an example Serfaus (Austria) has a wide range of pistes and some offpiste whereas St Anton could be visited on a day trip. Or maybe Ischgl where the experienced Canadian girl would to able to take backcountry ski tours in the Silvrettas while the others cruise the pistes.

http://www.productsifter.com/Places/EuropeanSkiResorts/review.aspx
latest report
David@traxvax wrote:
Ray Zorro, having skied for 5 decades and skied in most European resorts I consider La Rosiere to be an ideal destination for groups of mixed abilities, it's one of the reasons we bought a chalet there. As far as I'm aware you've never been to La Rosiere so how come you're such an authority?

I think it's a bit limited for advanced skiers.
snow report
David@traxvax, God, all those decades of disappointments. It's an utter blessing that you've kept your cheery disposition. rolling eyes
snow report
rob@rar, what do you mean by "expert skier"?

wink Laughing
Deja vu anyone?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, wink
snow conditions
David@traxvax, I did not comment about whether or not La Rosiere would be appropriate, I merely remarked on your inability to be able to recommend any other resort - ever rolling eyes .

But rather than turn a genuine question by a newcomer into a discussion about one small resort that is miles away from the airports in question, can we return to the opening post.

wallacei, sorry if your thread has been hijacked, do keep plugging on, we will get you a solution in the end.
snow report
hhmmm 28th Dec puts a few limiters on things, not least cost.

A lot of ski resorts might have the facility to be a lot of things to all men... but they might not be to biggest names.

Canadian...? what is she used to...east or west coast..?

I would suggest Zermatt but feel its best appeal might not be to 2nd weekers and the cost over that period...????
Even though I am not a fan of the 3V's myself, that might work for people who want the sheers size and the mileage.
St Anton...young and rowdy-ish...can be good fun and the skiing is great..again, might be better for skiers who have been a few times.as not the most
beginner freindly. Fly from Zurich or Geneva.. or maybe Basle if the connection south works, for Zermatt, or Zurich or Innsbruck for St A

Saalbach...may not have the who-factor that a Canadian used to Whistler might want, but will cover eveyones else's bases, I have thought.
Fly to Salzburg or maybe Munich/Innbruck

Verbier from one of the sattelite communities..world class skiing with a price break..hopefully.
Flt to Geneva

Chamonix... lively and the skiing can be world class, but may not appeal to anyone who wants ski-in, ski-out.. In fact, if the skers in the party are adventurous and hardy, then this could be a top tip, IMV

Serre Chevalier or that region.. I am a big fan, but maybe ADH is the better bet to stay...but a good area anyway. Le Grave is for experienced skiers only, really, but would completely wow the Canadian whatever she is used to.. You might say the same for Chamonix, as long as she gets out and about.
The latter would need flights to Lyon or Grenoble realistrically...or poss Turin.

Val D Isere.. world class resort and a very good choice for the group, IMV, covers everything, but might be costly at NY..
Fly to Geneva

I'd look at the flights 1st and foremost and let that dictate the region.
latest report
WHAT are you lot talking about? Chamonix good for a mixed-ability group?? Not the Chamonix I've been too........ All right if the different ability skiers are happy to split up all day and fanny about on buses but there are plenty better resorts out there for a mixed group.

3V or Espace Killy wallacei.
ski holidays
Saas Fee, maybe? Even good skiers should have enough to keep them happy for a week. Great for beginners , I would have thought. Bags of Alpine charm.
ski holidays
wallacei, Avoriaz certainly met the needs of our mixed intermediate group this year...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Three Valleys would have to be my pick for groups of mixed ability! For younger groups, always enjoyed VT and as a family really enjoyed Courchevel. A personal favourite. snowHead
snow report
the ice perv wrote:
WHAT are you lot talking about? Chamonix good for a mixed-ability group?? Not the Chamonix I've been too........ All right if the different ability skiers are happy to split up all day and fanny about on buses but there are plenty better resorts out there for a mixed group.

3V or Espace Killy wallacei.

Agree entirely but add to that Paradiski preferably the Les arcs side.
ski holidays
the ice perv, what Chamonix have you been to? All of the areas will accommodate every level from rank beginner upwards and Les Houches & le Tour will happily accommodate them as well. ???
snow report
David Murdoch,

Probably the same one as me. If you are hard core and don't mind spending time on buses or taking boots on & off to get where you want to be in a hire car then it is a great location for the purist with arguably some of the best off piste in Europe if not the World. If however you want to ski out of the locker room and ski back at the end of the day and only take your skis off when you go for lunch or take a cable car then I think most people will agree that Chamonix does not fit the bill for Wallacei.
snow report
I say Three Valleys too, staying in Courchevel somewhere as rob@rar suggested, it doesn't have to be expensive or Val Thorens on the other side. Personally I prefer Courchevel and for the people in the group who will be wanting lessons, you have the benefit of New Generation or Supreme Ski both in Courchevel too.

You can't go wrong with a largish mixed ability group there in the Three Valleys, something for everyone without having to take your ski boots off or hop on buses at all, plenty to keep all levels entertained for a week. Another plus is that lots of tour operators go there so hopefully it should be easy to find one that flies from Dublin. The transfer time is usually medium as transfers go, although it might take longer due to the proposed week being a busy holiday week. Lots of choice of mountain restaurants too.
snow report
"Best sking possible" for the Canadian..that puts Chamonix right up there.

Reading all the criteria.. try getting a good price at NY in the 3V and VDI

Considering they may have to get a private taxi and that Chamonix is 1hr from GVA.. ... The downside is the split areas..but then decent skiers are going to end up so far away from the 1weekers in the big resorts anyway, that it makes little difference.

What sort of skiers moan about buses...?? and the ones in the Chamonix valley are very good IMV.. I don't care about a 20 min ride home
personally or the boots in the car in the car park.

Agree that the 1st weekers and the very experienced is a hard nut to crack...ANYWHERE..and deffo in a World class resort

If you have never been to Chamonix, it is a must and it will be very lively that time of year. The GM might be in the shade quite quickly but the Canadian will be blown away.

We could do with the OP coming back with a little more substance to the 1st query and maybe we can refine it somewhat.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-07-08 12:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
wallacei, We normaly go away for xmas, either Norway or France and never had a problem! If you are not based in Dublin, Cork now has a Geneva flight on Saturdays!

I too would recommend the 3V's. Something for everyone!

Welcome to snowHead 's
ski holidays
Quote:

All of the areas will accommodate every level

Ya absolutley! The Grand Montets is one of THE great beginner areas!

Quote:

(I will admit immediately to a commercial interest)

Case closed. wink
ski holidays
the ice perv, I probably wasn't clear enough...what I mean to suggest was that for anyone other than around sub2-3 weeks on snow the areas all have blue runs/and at least some easy skiing. I (probably) wasn't clear - you don't think I was suggesting the GMs as a beginners area do you? Come on... Puzzled
snow report
the ice perv, David Murdoch,
Chamonix is a greatly underrated beginners area. There are 5 really good first day beginners areas my favourite being Le Tour, there is also a large area right in the town, plus other areas great for intermediate progression. Its also cheap.
I would agree GM is not one of them.
ski holidays
Quote:

What sort of skiers moan about buses...?? and the ones in the Chamonix valley are very good IMV.. I don't care about a 20 min ride home
personally or the boots in the car in the car park.

Someone like me that prefer not to stand around waiting for a bus then facing a scrum to to get on a bus then having to hang on for dear life whilst having your face in someone elses sweaty armpit-then another 5-10 minute walk after you've got off the bus back to where you staying with boots on and ski's(2 pairs half the time as too gallant by far for my gf) on shoulder. Or i could just choose somewhere where i can alk out of the chalet snap my skis on andaway i go-then same again on way back in.

I go on my hols to have the most possible time on the slopes without having to spend up to a third of the day waitingfor and sitting/standing on buses and lifts-and in my experience i've found both Chamonix and Zermatt the very opposite of what i want from a ski holiday.I'm just not hard core enough to think that the good skiing is worth the inconvenience caused to get to and from it-there's plenty of other great resorts with great ski areas without the pain.
ski holidays
Atomic_Mick1970,

We both forgot to mention the Alpine pastime of "dodge the dog turd". I have never been anywhere with so much dogger on the pavements, quaint wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy