Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any recommendations for companies who offer ski hosting?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Thinking ahead for next season. We are a married couple. He likes skiing hard, excitingly, off piste pushing himself etc., Whilst I am the fittest of the two I don't have an off-switch for fear. I'm not a bluesy-cruiser but prefer challenging reds to drop dead blacks and prefer to stay on piste.

Apart from one ski club of GB holiday we did which was ok, can any Snowhead recommend a company or chalets which offer ski hosting so we can perhaps divert off for a couple of days and ski with people our own level?

Am I asking a tall order? I don't know, but thought this a good place to start.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beverley,

You want to hook at with the bashes.... that way, you'll have loads of people in the bar at night and you can arrange your day with any number of them....

All levels should be catered for.... depending on the state of your liver Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Ski
Ski Miquel
Ski Val
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beverley, have a look at our website (see sig below) we offer ski-hosting from our chalet in La Rosiere. If you're really keen on off-piste then we can provide Ski Randonee - guided tours of the Tarentasie using a local guide, you can get to ski Val D'Isere, Tignes, Ste Foy, Les Arcs, La Rosiere and La Thuile with the best value heli-skiing in Europe also available. Other companies who offer ski-hosting locally are More Alps (my son's company) Ski Olympic and A Mountain Chalet. The off-piste in the Espace San Bernardo is terrific and because la Rosiere and La thuile are primarily family resorts fresh powder doesn't get tracked out in a matter of hours.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is all helpful thanks. I have looked at the snowheads bashes before but suppose we are just a bit shy about hooking up with lots of people we don't know. What's the general age group of these trips? We are mid 40s.

Thanks for the company recommendations which I will investigate. Husband not done heli-skiing and to be honest says him self he could do with off piste lessons, but it would be good for him to get the most out of his skiing without me hacking away behind him looking enviously at a groomed piste in the distance!

Even in the sweltering heat of July I can still get a good answer from Snowheads!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beverley, ski hosting will hook you up with people you do not know, as will chalet holidays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What's the general age group of these trips? We are mid 40s.

From 17 to 70! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Olympic don't do off-piste hosting. They're not insured for it. I would guess other "holiday companies" rather than ski camps (eg Snoworks) would be the same?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beverley,

You say you've been on a Ski Club of GB holiday. Have you thought of taking advantage of their repping service? They have reps in many resorts and they guide members free of charge 6 days a week (some days are for intermediates, some for advanced).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beverley, strongly recommend the snowheads bashes. I can understand you wondering if you would mix in - but most people do seem to. I've found pretty much everyone I have met on a bash kind and helpful - and great company on and off the slopes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beverley, Colletts Holidays do very good ski hosting holidays in the Dolimites with the choice of catered and self catered chalets and hotels.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beverley, I'd really recommend Silver Ski for your situation, and that's coming from a chalet operator, who like Mr Pimp above offers ski hosting but likes giving objective advice. Maybe I'm just a bad business man... Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley, I would suggest that you go on your usual holiday and then hook up with a Ski Club Rep in resort. They normally have a fair few people turn up so it's not unusual to have 3 or 4 groups running, so you and your husband could go your separate ways and then meet up later on. Check before you go though that there will be a Rep there as not all resorts have Ski Club reps. Also they won't be able to take your husband off piste (well they prob will a bit but it'll be just within sight of the poles) although they do usually organise a local off piste guide to do an off piste day in the week.

I've not tried their ski hosting but I know Mark Warner do 5 days of ski hosting but they are very expensive for couples or singles without kids or their kids are grown up and therefore they are not using the childcare element of the holiday. A lot of the other ski chalet companies do 2 or 3 days hosting so the Ski Club repping service is prob your best bet.

If your husband wants some excellent off piste tuition and you are up for some top end tuition as well on piste (or off piste) then I can personally recommend Inspired to Ski www.inspiredtoski.com. Lots of couples go on that where the husband and wife end up in different groups and it's a good atmosphere as well. You will learn a lot. Plus the accomodation is nice too. Have been on a few of their trips and enjoyed myself every time. All of the teaching is done by BASI Trainers past or present. Good stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is really helpful stuff thank you all. Some good things to look into to get the most out of the coming season. I've not used the SCGB reps before so will also see what kind of programmes they generally run. I'll keep an eye on the website for info on your bashes. We tend to go 2-3 times a year. Christmas/New Year, late Jan and then in March. Probably 2 of these will be as a couple.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Club of GB Reps do off piste; none of the Ski Hosting goes off piste, except (some of them) by hiring a guide for you very occasionally (for which I assume you pay).
Some resorts have off-piste guiding companies which will put you in a group with similar standard. For example Val d'Isere has several (Alpine Experience etc.). But many resorts do not - You need to find out in advance.
snow report
Silver Ski - they offer hosting, and the hosts themselves are the most wonderful, handsome, all round good blokes ever (or at least they used to be wink )
snow conditions
Beverley, skivolution in courchevel would be perfect for your needs.
snow report
snowball, I skied with the Ski Club Rep in Val D'Isere in April this year and was told they are only allowed to take you "off piste" in between the pisted runs within sight of the main piste at all times, and within so many metres of the piste markers or something, although I do't know the exact details on what is and isn't allowed.

I appreciate that you are either on piste or off piste, as Spyderjon always says, you can't be half pregnant, but when some of us wanted to do an off piste morning (as in "proper" off piste where we couldn't see the main piste and were quite a way from it) the Ski Club Rep organised a chap from Top Ski to take us out, for which we had to pay extra for and that he wasn't able to take us himself, despite being a proficient off piste skier himself and being very familiar with the area, not just got there the week before or something. They said that they had to get external guys in for off piste now.

My understanding of it was that there had been a change relatively recently on where the Ski Club Reps could and couldn't take you, but whether every Rep sticks to this I don't know. I've only skied with them for 2 weeks so far. So Beverley's husband might think that they can go anywhere with the Reps but apparently you can't now according to the new rules.

skimottaret, yeah Skivolution would be perfect. Qualified to take them off piste too if my understanding of their outfit is correct as the teachers are all BASI Grade 1.

Beverley, the SCGB Rep programmes come out in August I think but sometimes their weekly programme doesn't come out until the week before. My advice to get the best out of it for both of you is Skivolution or Inspired To Ski, the tuition is really great.
ski holidays
www.snowline.co.uk
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, certainly the off=piste they do is more restricted now, but it is very variable how this is interpreted. Some reps who know the off-piste well and are very experienced are still doing roughly what they did before (or so they claim) and the Ski Club say it will make very little difference. However a Rep friend of mine feels much more restricted now and is thinking of giving up, since his main interest was in showing people the off-piste possibilities.
However company hosting never goes off piste, and you will certainly do more exciting stuff with guides (Expect to pay about €50 for a morning and €75 for all day.)
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, if you have a spare day or so, there is a fascinating thread on the subject of ski club reps' off piste rules somewhere on here. enjoy! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
snowball, yes heard that too. I know company ski hosting such as Mark Warner never goes off piste, I was thinking of Beverley for who that would be useful for if she wanted a ski about with some like minded people and then if her husband wants to go off piste then he'd have to pay for a guide I suppose.

I think Skivolution or Inspired to Ski will be the best bet for them. As much off piste as you like with either of them and at least they know what they are doing and are qualified to take you off piste (with some exceptions).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 3-07-08 18:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Of course the price I gave is for joining a group. Hiring a guide on my own is too expensive for me to ever contemplate - except with a group of friends, of course.
Arno, rolling eyes the endless thread it seemed - on the ski club website too.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, I skied with some reps last winter and they went off piste so I do not agree with you either. I went to a few different resorts and all they said about the changes when someone asked was that they needed to know the place well, which the ones I skied with did. We had some great days out. My advice to Beverley, and anyone else looking to try some off piste. Go with one of the reps on there taster days. It was really fun and it was free. But like snowball, says, you need to check which resorts have a rep as not all the places I visited last winter did.
snow report
jasonc, if you're referring to this post below I'm not actually talking about the Ski Club here, I'm talking about ski hosting like Mark Warner and the like do and their people are definitely not allowed/qualified to take people off piste AFAIK.

Quote:

snowball, yes heard that too. I know company ski hosting such as Mark Warner never goes off piste, I was thinking of Beverley for who that would be useful for if she wanted a ski about with some like minded people and then if her husband wants to go off piste then he'd have to pay for a guide I suppose.

Regarding the Ski Club Reps, I'm not saying that the Reps don't take people off piste as you implied as they clearly do, I suggest you go back and read what I wrote before to see what I said. It must depend on who you ski with and what resort and clearly some Reps are sticking to the new "rules" and others aren't. The Rep we skied with had been in Val D'Isere as a Ski Club Rep for 10 seasons so you would think him to be pretty experienced and as such he clearly knew the area well.

Yes he did take us off piste but only within sight off the piste markers at all times as I had already said in my post earlier on in this thread. If it is ok for the Reps that "know the area well" (and how do you define "well" as that can be subject to opinion) to take people off piste then why did they have to fix a group of us up with Top Ski and we had to pay 50 Euros each for the morning for the Top Ski guide to take us further afield when you didn't have to do that? If that is the case why isn't that happening everywhere? They must have had to do that with Top Ski for a reason.

I say if they're going to have changes in rules and stuff then they need to be having the same rule everywhere or not at all, since it's not fair than some have to pay for a separate guide and some don't. As it happens I won't be doing that again anyway because I didn't rate the experience compared to what I was used to with going off piste before then with BASI.

Now I'm not arguing the toss about what's right re off piste and what's wrong, all I'm saying is that we were told by the Reps that they weren't to take us off piste (apart from described above within sight of the piste markers) and the only way was to get Top Ski to do it, so perhaps it was flavour of the week or something and they were being strict on it Puzzled

Anyway, there's a big enough thread on this Off Piste/Ski Club discussion somewhere on this forum already that someone has mentioned above which I've not visited either so I'm not getting involved in all that wink

My advice to Beverley and her husband as I had already mentioned is for both of them to go with Skivolution or Inspired to Ski where they can meet other like minded people, have a holiday, get some top class tuition at the same time if they want it, and for both if they want to go off piste then at least the instructors are adequately qualified to take people off piste (with some exceptions with regard to terrain) as safely as possible and know what they are doing. I personally feel safer with someone who is properly qualified in leading off piste (with some exceptions eg glaciated terrain). Only my opinion though, each to their own.

Edited to remove typos
snow report
Just to add my twopennorth in support of Skivolution-- good accomm, good food, BASI instruction, and able to offer groups to cope with varying standards. All in language you can understand --- Scottish !
snow report
The Great Escape in Morzine- highly recommended by myself as a customer and as a ex ski guide for them!!
You get 3 days guiding with them. Darren who runs it will guide you where you like, plenty of cheeky forays into powder should you want it wink wink
latest report
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:
Yes he did take us off piste but only within sight off the piste markers at all times as I had already said in my post earlier on in this thread. If it is ok for the Reps that "know the area well" (and how do you define "well" as that can be subject to opinion) to take people off piste then why did they have to fix a group of us up with Top Ski and we had to pay 50 Euros each for the morning for the Top Ski guide to take us further afield when you didn't have to do that? If that is the case why isn't that happening everywhere? They must have had to do that with Top Ski for a reason.

I was talking about this very issue the other night. Personally, I can understand why reps would prefer to send some members in the lower ability range out with a Top Ski guide/instructor for their off-piste day. And, also, why in certain conditions, they would want to pass responsibility for even the Gold skiers over to the professionals as well.

I had a day out with a Top Ski Guide arranged via Paul Mongan, the Ski Club of GB rep, a couple of seasons ago and it was probably my best day's skiing of that season. I also skied with one of Paul's colleagues on an advanced off-piste day, earlier in the week and certainly the rep wasn't doing the kind of terrain that the guide did later in the week.

I mean, Jesus, what do you expect for 50 quid a year, a mountain guide every single day?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PJSki,

Quote:

I mean, Jesus, what do you expect for 50 quid a year, a mountain guide every single day?

Are you asking me personally if I expect a mountain guide every day for the price of the Ski Club membership? The answer to that is "No" and incidentally I'm not sure why you are directing that question at me. Puzzled

I happen to think the £50 a year is pretty good value for what it is, especially with the discounts on kit, parking etc, I've more than had the cost of my membership back in discounts this year. My point was that if they're going to have a system or rules or whatever on who can take who off piste and who can't then they need to be all doing the same don't they.

It could be that our group paid for a guide whereas another time others might have gone to the same place we went to (it certainly wasn't difficult terrain and actually, although it was slightly further afield than where the Rep took us the day before, it was still within a couple of minutes of the main piste) with just the Rep for free.

Personally I couldn't give a stuff about the 50 Euros but wouldn't bother with the guide again either. The point is, we all know why they pass the responsibility for off piste onto a guide and personally I agree with it, off piste can be a dangerous environment to be in and any groups need to be led/guided by someone who knows what they're doing in my view, however the arrangement across the Reps needs to be uniform whichever resort you go to.

There is a 28 page thread on this forum about the change in the Ski Club rules for discussions like this one.

Back to the original question by Beverley she now has loads of recommendations from different people, Skivolution seems to get quite a few mentions.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 9-07-08 20:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:
My point was that if they're going to have a system or rules or whatever on who can take who off piste and who can't then they need to be all doing the same don't they.

In theory.

Quote:
It could be that our group paid for a guide whereas another time others might have gone to the same place we went to with just the Rep for free.

That could happen due to the condition of course. Throw in a few more variables, such as how the rep perceives your ability on the day, and I can see how that could be the case for all the right reasons.
snow report
PJSki,
Quote:

That could happen due to the condition of course. Throw in a few more variables, such as how the rep perceives your ability on the day, and I can see that could be the case for all the right reasons.

I don't know about that as I've only ever skied one week with a Rep and that was the week where they arranged Top Ski as I have explained. On our day it seemed to have more to do with numbers, they had to have 8 people or nothing to go with the guide and in our group there was a range of abilities from "never been off piste" (apart from just to the side of the piste markers) to "very experienced off piste". It could well have been that the Rep considered it better for a couple of the guys in our group to be with a guide rather than with the Rep himself. Who knows.....I won't bother again though with it.

I'm sure everyone has had a different turn out from week to week with different Reps about what is arranged regarding the off piste depending on all sorts of variables.

Now.....I'm just thinking if there are any other companies to recommend to Beverley and her husband which will suit what they are looking for.....
ski holidays
Beverley, another one to consider that are more of a holiday company that do do off piste guiding as well (they get someone professional in to do it I think) is Alpine Elements. I've not been with them before but I've heard somewhere I think that they are good.

http://www.alpineelements.co.uk/ski-holidays/off-piste-guiding.html
snow conditions
Hi. I am making notes of all this and saving various companies into my favourites box to look at in further detail.

I've also spoken to husband who thinks all this is good news. He's suggested I find out about the Snowheads bashes (is info posted on site as and when?). In the meantime, he thinks he should get more intensive instruction off-piste before just going off with a guide and will see what off-piste instruction holidays SCGB have. If they have one suitable I'll go along and do my own thing (apparently SCGB give discounts if you are a partner on a holiday that is not your grading?). I'm graded Red and he is Purple, and their holidays never seem to combine those two colours together!
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Alpine Elements look very good. As I mentioned in posting above, he's thinking he should be more experienced before trekking off with a guide. He's never really had any formal instruction and just goes off and somehow comes back. Aagghh. He has had a few hairy moments and I would be delighted to see him get professional instruction rather than worrying myself silly everytime he disappears off.
snow report
Beverley, I've not tried the SCGB off piste holidays mind that you mention so I can't compare, but seriously look at Inspired to Ski for you and husbands off piste tuition and also Snoworks. Both companies I have used and both have brought me on in leaps and bounds both on piste and off piste. Do a search on this forum on Snoworks and Inspired to Ski, you will see they are both very popular and have great reviews from loads of people. You could also do a search on the SCGB Freshtrack holidays on here and see what others have to say about them. You will love a week with either of the two companies I mentioned I can promise you! But you will work! But also improve loads. Great atmosphere, lots of other couples/singles/friends to chat to in the evenings etc and the tuition is half day so still plenty of time for holidaying plus usually the accomodation is half board and generally very central to the chosen ski area.

Don't worry if there's not a specific off piste week on when you are looking to go, both companies All Mountain/All Terrain course will (assuming a minimum level) take you off piste as part of the course as long as the conditions allow it, but you could email Sally at Inspired to Ski to check and discuss your levels. Also with both companies you could do one course whilst your husband does a different level course so no worries about you finding a holiday where you can go as two different levels.

Another company you could consider (I've not tried yet but I sure will be soon) is Pete Silver-Gillespie's Alpine Coaching
www.alpinecoaching.co.uk. Very nice accomodation usually in Austria from what I've gathered (the website is just being updated so more details coming soon) and again Pete Silver-Gillespie is rated highly both by people on and off this site. Again it doesn't matter if you are both different levels I don't think. They go to Chamonix, Gressoney and Hintertux next season. Worth a look too.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, You are a star, thanks.

As you mention, both companies have course running which could suit us both. Inspired to Ski seems to have courses/holidays running early Dec/Jan which look v. suitable. I particularly like Chamonix so it would be good to return there.

It's only July and I'm excited! This could be the end of all those tantrums as I drag myself around in knee deep snow behind him!
latest report
Beverley, good for you. Even if you are in different level groups, you will have the opportunity to practice your new found skills together in the morning/afternoon before/after your instructional session(s). Inspired to Ski don't go to Chamonix until later in the year mind you, but their pre-season courses in Tignes are very popular and very good value in my opinion. I am going with Inspired to Ski end of November myself so perhaps see you there! I am looking at Alpine Coaching for either their week to Gressoney in Feb or the weekend end of March to Chamonix too. As I say, it's not just about the tuition but they are great holidays away too. It's great that there's a few great companies to choose from all run by current or past BASI Trainers so they really know their stuff inside out. Very Happy
snow report
Beverley, I agree Snoworks are very good and they run courses in a number of places at the start of the season which would get you and your husband well prepared for the winter. I have not been with Inspired to Ski so cannot comment on them. The SCGB Off piste holidays are also really good and as you say, do a good discount for couples. The off piste training courses they run in Flaine are really good for all levels if they are still doing them next season.

VolklAttivaS5, The 'new rules' as you like to put it for Reps do not say that they must stay beside the piste. Not from what I have been told by the Reps I have skied with and read in the club letter. They look at the group and depending on the levels each day have given us some really good trips. I understand that each Rep can use his own judgement as to where he takes anyone. They all follow the same 'guidelines', which say they have to be able to get back to the piste without any problem, but that does not mean with an advanced group you have to stay right beside the piste. As I mentioned, on our advanced day we did loads of things that we could not have done on our other days. I go with guides quite often as well but only on very advanced trips. If you paid 50 Euro for a morning then you were ripped off. I normally pay max 55 Euro for a full day in a group even in Val d'Isere. Beverley, my suggestion to you is go on an off piste course like any of the ones mentioned above and then look for resorts which have reps to gain further experience. The Reps can still give you a great day out, they did for us.
ski holidays
jasonc, I refer to them as "new rules" due to the thread below from this site when the letters first came out last year discussing "changes" for the new season 2007/2008 so I mean "new rules" compared to the "old rules".

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30844&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=changes+scgb+rules&start=0

I don't doubt about what you were told by the Reps as it seems to depend on who you speak to. We were told by 2 separate Reps that week (one of them had not long been on the Reps course a few months earlier) that they had to keep the group within so many metres of the piste when off piste (can't remember how many metres they said exactly) but that's what they said. Puzzled I can only tell you what they said that week to us as I think someone asked the question about what had changed with regards to off piste (they had heard there had been some changes and therefore queried what the changes were with the Rep), as I mentioned above I've only ever skied one week with the SCGB Reps so I don't know what it was like before in reality.

It sounds to me that was probably their own interpretation of being able to get back onto the piste easily or within a short ski what with it being a reasonably short distance, I just don't know, I just know what we were told, because I can remember thinking "How on earth are they meant to keep to that?" That is a rhetorical question by the way, I don't expect an answer.

Who knows? To be honest (and don't take this personally) I'm not bothered about who's right and who's wrong and what they do, don't, can or can't do. Every Rep you ever meet is going to do things how they think best whether that's what they are meant to be doing or not and not necessarily do what the next Rep would do and vice versa, just like in any job/role/company whatever so there will be some variation from personality to personality, conditions, the group they have etc etc.

As long as the clients are enjoying themselves safely that's all that matters and that they feel they've had value from the service, which I should imagine for the vast majority of clients is the case.

I'm not going to mention anything else about this now in a bid to keep poor Beverley's thread from being hijacked with this SCGB off piste rearing it's head every so often (something for the other 28 page thread perhaps in future, that I definitely won't be going on-yawn!) so she doesn't have to wade through all this to get to the answers she's after to her OP Laughing wink

Quote:

If you paid 50 Euro for a morning then you were ripped off.

My thoughts exactly and because we were told it had to be 8 in a group or nothing, I couldn't very well drop out and the others not go when they wanted to, that would have been selfish. However it was one of the reasons (albeit not the most important one) I won't be going again when I can do the things we did and in the same places for free next time. I did enjoy the days we had on piste with the Reps though, the were quite fun.

Beverley, good luck with finding something suitable.
latest report
Rather than going with a TopSki or Alpine Experience) guide organised by by the SCGB rep you would be better going direct with the company. That way you would be more likely to be with a group all the same standard. One time I skied with Top Ski with a friend and another couple we didn't know. They were not the standard they had claimed and were off-loaded onto another group - so we had the guide all to ourselves.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy