Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where To Go For Ski Virgins?

Poster: A snowHead
alex_heney,

Some resorts are best skied when in the offseason as otherwise they are too crowded.

Why spend 80 mins of precious (sleep and apres ski) time on a bus when it's a couple of mins walk at 1600m in Obergurgl?

You can ski down to Mühlbach (620m) from Mayrhofen's ski resort. (Ski Route 1)

Do you think in general Mayrhofen is a better option than Obergurgl early Dec? that's the point I'm making.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pudha,

If you are restricted to going during early December the nightlife in Sölden is likely to be scarce with too few people spread over too large an apres ski distance. Obergurgl is more cosy and various huts / pubs are well occupied but not heaving. I prefered the apres ski in Obergurgl at that time of year. You can always get a taxi to Sölden for a couple of nights if you need to see the dancing ladies. Sölden like Mayrhofen could mean only skiing uptop in a bad year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pudha, everything you need to know about this kind of stuff can be found on this site http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp

Unbiased information, a good site. Use that for your research.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pudha, I would go for Solden, best for your needs. However that said if it is too early like DB, says you wont find too much of the fairer sex, more grizzly seasonaires! Apres ski should be just as good for a beginner to get hooked!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Puhda soldens snow record is fine for december it has 2 glaciers and lots of skiing above 2000m.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
alex_heney,

Some resorts are best skied when in the offseason as otherwise they are too crowded.

True, and I suspect Mayrhofenb could be one pf those, although having only skied in early January, I can't realy judge what it would be like at peak season.

Quote:

Why spend 80 mins of precious (sleep and apres ski) time on a bus when it's a couple of mins walk at 1600m in Obergurgl?

If you know you will have to use the glacier, then you go somwhere that the resort is at the base of the glacier. In that case, you certainly would not choose Mayrhofen.

But it will be rare that Mayrhofen doesn't have adequate snow in December (it officially expects to open for weekends the last couple of weeks in November. If it does happen, however, then the glacier is still reachable reasonably easily as a backup.

[/quote]
You can ski down to Mühlbach (620m) from Mayrhofen's ski resort. (Ski Route 1)
[/quote]

You can, theoretically, yes. In practice, you can't usually, and beginners never would, since it is an itinerary, rather than a piste.

Quote:

Do you think in general Mayrhofen is a better option than Obergurgl early Dec? that's the point I'm making.

Possibly not, but I don't know enough about Obergurgl to be able to say.

But you have appeared to be saying that Mayrhofen would not be among your list of possibles, rather than just that it isn't as good as Obergurgl.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pudha, I don't think you've said when in December you want to go, or whether you can take up the suggestion to go mid January instead. That makes a big difference to the calculations and advice; January is a much better bet from almost all points of view.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney,

I've driven through the zillertal valley past Mayrhofen in Nov and Dec to get to Hintertux - it was a ghost town. As I suspected you are judging a resort from a high season visit which often bears very lttle resemblance to Dec pre Xmas. It's like advising someone to visit an English seaside resort in winter based on your experience of a summer holiday there. Even Hintertux, Sölden and Kaprun offer very little nightlife for the big Apres ski fan early Dec so I can't see Mayrhofen offering more - would expect less as it doesn't have a glacier. Yes it wouldn't be on my list because there's no point in me driving ca 4 hours to Mayerhofen for a few lifts when a further 20 min drive to Hintertux offers far more lifts and generally better snow quality/quantitiy. I'm basing my opinion on having visited many of these resorts during high and low season. Every year from Late October to Xmas I'm looking around for the best Austrian resorts (which normally = number of lifts open) so I can jump in the car and drive there, Mayrhofen has never made the shortlist.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The problems here all start with a December holiday.

Early Dec and most places will have die-hards or the influx of resort workers..plus a few townies if the snow has come good.

Mayrhofen: good lively apre-ski base..but again it may be too early for that. Expect to ship out every day to Hintertux by bus. If the local skiing has useable snow from 1600 -2200 then that will be a bonus. Would I bank on it from this far out? No, I wouldn't.
I might go there for the glacier anyway and the bus itself wouldn't worry me as I'm used to it but this trip both ways for 6 days might wear thin.
So, for these guys, a chancey choice, IMV

St Anton: good nightlife but all blokes and a few girly resort staff... could work really well if the drinking/clubbing scores over the skiing and the clubs a re lively enough at this time. Skiing isn't for beginners but young energetic blokes might get past this somewhat. They'll lose out to the ski bums in every other sense tho'.

Solden: As with all these places, the seaon will not have got going in Dec... but the skiing is high and assured so you will only have to tranport up the hill until the snowline. Offers the most all round, IMV , from hedging your bets on the snow, to lively town/resort.

Obergurgl. I like this place but it is quiet at the best of times.. but as said, what little life is around, will not be hard to find. Not really the place for 5 lads.. but lets face it, everywhere has a compromise if you insist on going early.

All these params change somewhat if you went in early Jan...as the season only really starts once Xmas/NY arrives. Early Jan is cheap so you can leave it late and get a booking easily enough, I'd say. that would also bring Ischgl into play.

Or...consider Tignes in France as that will be open for business..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Errmm, how about Andorra? Is that still relatively cheap? Great place for beginners, with abundant, cheap nightlife.....

Or at least it was 20 years ago....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guvnor, yes I think it is still cheaper and good for beginners and lots of nightlife generally but don't they have poor snow in December? I've not been but I heard it's one to avoid early season. Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guvnor wrote:
Errmm, how about Andorra? Is that still relatively cheap? Great place for beginners, with abundant, cheap nightlife.....

Or at least it was 20 years ago....

It isn't nearly as cheap as it was 15 years ago, but is still generally reasonably good value.

But it's a long way South, and not particularly high, so I don't think it is very snow sure in December, and there are no nearby glaciers as backup.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ischgl and Solden are the best out of that bunch. Solden is reliable for snow in december, 2 glaciers guarantee it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As for costs with the pound only buying 1 Euro and 19 cents at the post office you cant find anywhere that will be cheapo cheap unless heading to the snowy east somewhere like Jasna in Slovakia. Very cheap, beer 50 p for half a litre and smokin hot women, snow not the most relaible in december thou. If its second half of december you should be ok out there and if your all beginers you dont need masses of terrain. Just a thought....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry ladies, thats a bit on sided. sure the boys are nice too!!!
snow report
Can't believe no one has taken the opportunity to suggest Virgin Ski !!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy