Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight of skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could anybody please tell me how the weight of skis affects performance?

When I first started skiing I preferred lighter ones. Now I use quite heavy ones as I race etc.

What would you say are better for doing jumps?

Is it generally the faster you ski, the heaveier the skis should generally be?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you use your legs to lift your skis, as many mid-level skiers like to do, a heavier ski will tire you out more over the course of a ski day.

If, on the other hand, you leave them on the snow except when the terrain unweights them, you'll likely find them more stable or perhaps no different.

They are a bit more of a bother to carry, though, due to their weight.

I have one fairly light ski (the Fischer RX8) and one fairly heavy ski (the Atomic Metron:b5). On snow, they ski very similarly...!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But it must make turning from one direction to the other interesting to say the least ssh, Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan Craggs, you win the award! snowHead

I was waiting to see who would be the first with that comment--right after I posted it I knew someone would pick up on that!

One pair of each, thank you very much. But, maybe I'll try that for fun... Nah...!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh, I may be getting a new pair of planks in Montana: I could try skiing with a 179 Pistol on one leg and a 163 Head 1100 on the other. Should make for interesting work at Bridger... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Vicky, quite clearly a ski has a much smaller moment of inertia about its longitudinal axis than it does about its vertical axis. Hence, if you are attempting to physically pivot your skis with your feet (as you may be doing whilst airborne in your jumps?), a ski with a lower "swing weight" will require less torque. However, the "swing weight" is related not only to the mass of the ski but also to how that mass is distributed. Hence, a short fat ski will have a lower "swing weight" than a long thin ski of the same mass. So short skis are easier to pivot into a turn than long ones.

As ssh points out above, if you are carving your turns (you did say you were a racer didn't you?) and not having to carry or push your skis uphill then you are unlikely to notice any problem with heavier skis. If your jumps involve cartwheels, 360's etc etc then you will presumably have to take the increased moment of inertia into account.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vicky, The others here may call me a wimp, but I HATE heavy skis. Not to ski on, but to carry !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, Well, a friend of mine once skied the off piste descent to St Christophe (from the top of La Grave) with a ski on one foot and an alpine snowboard on the other - give the man a cigar (but he doesn't, he's fit). In fact it was only because they found a lost ski en route but still .. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy