Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Butterfly in LDA - trip report - few new pics added

Poster: A snowHead
Well, here I am, sitting in a hotel in Annecy which has free (but slow!) wifi! We've had a lovely meal out and with little else to do here's some news of my summer skiing escapades! First things first then, here's the video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3129640288821566422&hl=en.

I had a lesson with Easiski Sunday, Monday, Wednesday & Thursday. Using my digital camera, so it is only basic quality video (but still useful), she took some footage towards the end of Sunday's lesson and then some more towards the end of Thursday's. My biggest enemy is fear, which breeds tension and hinders progress and I think we worked on this with a good degree of success.

Still photos to follow!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-07-08 22:36; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And here's a link to the photos I've uploaded to a Picasa Web Album.

Frosty, I understand there's a tale to tell about this location ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, well done. Just hearing a few words there from easiski makes me feel vaguely guilty that I'm doing something wrong and am about to be told what!! Hope you enjoyed it all. Looks good up there - and you had plenty of space.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looks good and where was everyone?

The dark upward shadow on the video whats that? Fenlandskier's video's from the PSB last year were the same Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly, Wow! That looked so good. Is Annecy that beautiful lakeside town the bus went through on the way to VT?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, Standing ovation from me - Well done you - just loved those two parallel tracks you were leaving in the snow, makes me look positively untidy. You should feel absolutely brilliant about what you've accomplished I would never believe it was the same you - I think you've just caught a dose of what I had in VT - a little confidence goes a hell of a long way. More power to your elbow!! Viva us novices
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, ha! Signposts turns rule! Well done.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
II, it was the last run after the lifts had closed so it was dead quiet!! As for the upwards shadow, I wondered if it was something to do with it being just an ordinary stills camera really so not capable of fully coping with the harsh lighting and reflections.

awol, yes, that's Annecy. It is beautiful, but would be better if less crowded!

Megamum, thanks! Would you believe I twice even managed to step up onto and then whoosh down the other side of the little ice walls on the side of the piste on Thursday, going "Weeee, this is fun!"?

achilles, indeed!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, You should be very proud of yourself. Very Happy

pam w, Sorry. Embarassed That makes me sound like a monster. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
Butterfly, You should be very proud of yourself. Very Happy

Thank you Very Happy Very Happy

Things I have learned this week include:

1. Chairlifts are no longer an issue for me! I encountered a fixed one for the first time and successfully used it while skiing my "circuit" completely alone on Tuesday too!

2. T-bars are ok!

3. Altering my shoulder and "bott" position even just a little bit makes a huge difference to my stability and more stability = less tension.

4. Experimenting with the amount of pressure (weight) on each ski to feel the effect on grip/direction is very valuable

5. Discovering the effect of even a very slight lean of my new uphill knee into the hill was an eye-opener.

6. I CAN look at the wonderful scenery, ski and smile - all at the same time!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

pam w, Sorry. That makes me sound like a monster.

Not at all. There's no point paying for ski lessons and not being told what you're doing wrong! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, yeah. But she has eyes all over the hill when you are not having lessons. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, lovely photos. Did you spend any time in Vallandry, or just passing through?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly, Smashing trip report and photos, plus a big WELL DONE. lsn't it great to be Easiskied ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, You seem great at beating me to these firsts - first on a chairlift, first down a bit of a red run, now first on a T-bar - I shall be forever playing 'catch-up just to stay level!!! Glad you had a great week.
ski holidays
Butterfly, now, how about Tignes in October??
ski holidays
pam w, How about LDA in October????? wink wink wink
latest report
Ah, home at last & tackling a mountain of washing!

rob@rar, we left LDA last Sat morning and very briefly visited Vallandry to see what it looked like without snow. The plan was to stay and walk a bit or perhaps explore the road which appears to exist over to Les Arcs in summertime, but clever Mr B had other ideas - he sort of didn't realise how short of fuel we were until we headed off upwards from Landry and when we reached the single petrol station up there it was closed for lunch. So, on fumes we made it to the car park by the TIO and having had a walk round the resort gently went back down for fuel at 2pm after which he wanted to get on with the journey rolling eyes.

From there we went to Annecy and stayed overnight and from where I began this report! After that we drove on round the lake to Lausanne where I had an encounter with hungry midges and have still got the red marks now Evil or Very Mad and then on into Germany. Having no planned destination we saw the town of Bad Krozingen and decided to see if they had a thermal bath centre and indeed they did together with a great little family run hotel right opposite where we stayed for 110 Euros including breakfast and a big discount on the entry to the spa. We spent all Monday morning in the open air pools - very nice! After that we went on back towards Calais, staying overnight in Metz and then in St Omer where we had a fascinating visit to the old boat-lift and new immense lock on the canal at Arques. The old lift was based on the Anderton lift near Manchester that's been restored to working order.

Megamum, you've a few firsts to your name too (own skis, skiing off to another resort from VT, doing a whole red?) and made the most amazing progress in VT!

pam w, easiski, I can't wait to get back to the Alps, but I will have to wait until the spring - the pocket won't stand any more this year for sure, and anyway I rather think the autumn conditions might not be totally to my liking wink. I think I might be forced to visit Castleford before too long though and do some homework!
ski holidays
Ah, life getting back to normal now. I have retrieved the cats from the cattery and they have inspected the house & garden and pronounced all is well. The post has mostly been dealt with and the washing is done and dry (no, not ironed!). I've got one new appointment for next week and have finally been paid most of what I am owed for the Key Stage 3 marking and my skiing-depleted bank account's breathing a sigh of relief! Now, I wonder when can I find time and cash to go to Xscape and practise what I have been doing? Not a cheap excursion sadly - £20/25 admission even for the 2 or 3 hr morning "Freshtrax" session plus about 100 miles worth of fuel rolling eyes .

I have added a few more pictures, taken by Mr B: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hlp5040/LesDeuxAlpesJune2008 including some of the Ponts de la Caille just outside Annecy & the fascinating boat lift at Arques, near St Omer.
snow report
Butterfly, maybe about time we had a sH Castleford get-together. If we do, PM me - I may be able to drive past your place and give you a lift.
snow conditions
achilles, have pm'd you.
latest report
Butterfly, your video shows you looking very confident and relaxed, sounds like you made real strides with your sking and had a great time. Hope the ankle was OK and that the stretches had done some good. Lovely to see the photos of Vallandry - can't believe it was only 3 months ago I was sking there. I wasn't sure whether it would look good in the summer but those photos make me want to go there right now! If only I had the money, time and no kids/OH. Maybe next winter
snow conditions
Butterfly, gorgeous pictures Very Happy
ski holidays
smwbounce, yes I did well in the confidence/relaxation department which is the area I struggle with and which hampers progress. The ankle coped well and I definitely think the stretches had helped. I did find when doing the "knee leaning" exercise that it hurt, but at least it showed I was moving!

RachelQ, thanks Smile
snow report
Ha, my car is in one of your photos! Like the canal pics from Arques.
latest report
Lizzard, it's not you sneaking out by the 4x4 in the pic is it??

Arques was an interesting visit - we're now planning to take the bikes and cycle around the area where the functioning boat lift is in Cheshire.
latest report
Butterfly, Would love to see pic of boat in mid-lift Smile
snow conditions
Great pics.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great vid, thanks for sharing!
Looks like we are at about the same standard - your turns are a tad smoother than mine Very Happy
I can see that you have the desire to get to where you want to be - skiing wise - good luck!
latest report
Butterfly, Congratulations, looked like you had a good vacation to boot!
ski holidays
clare mcbride, there are quite a lot of photos on the internet of the Anderton lift - try searching "Anderton Boat Lift" in Picasaweb or Flickr. The French one isn't going to be restored.

youspurs1, perhaps we should ski together sometime and compare notes - do you ever get to Tamworth or Castleford?

Whitegold, Roy Hockley, thanks - yes, we had a great holiday!
ski holidays
[b]Butterfly[/b Thanks very much, very satisfying. This Picasaweb is super duper. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
clare mcbride, I use Picasa (free download) on my laptop to manage all my pics; uploading them from it to a webalbum is ever so easy.
latest report
Butterfly, sounds like you had an awesome time! Now then, back to VT next year? Smile
snow conditions
TallTone, Though I'd love to do VT again, I don't think it will work in 2009 because of the wedding anniversary. My hubby really enjoyed the LDA trip but says he doesn't think he'd enjoy it in the main ski season as he liked the fact there was summer weather & no snow at resort level. 2010 perhaps? Am thinking for next year of organising a week in LDA with Easiski for older/more cautious beginners/improvers as I am sure there are plenty of others like me around!
ski holidays
Butterfly, that video looked really good and I would echo Megamum's comment about the tracks that you were leaving. Likee II I was also thinking "Where is everybody?"
snow report
Nick L wrote:
Butterfly, that video looked really good and I would echo Megamum's comment about the tracks that you were leaving.
Thanks Very Happy

Quote:
I was also thinking "Where is everybody?"

Ah - all the lifts closed at 12.30 (except the snowpark which went on another half hour) but we'd managed to still sneak on the t-bar near the snowpark at 12.40, and hung about a bit watching their antics - so when we came down Puy Salie it was empty. Being my last skiing day I didn't want it to end!
ski holidays
Nick L, Def. good tracks - you must have watched that video you just sent me - Butterfly's turns knock mine into a cocked hat - I shall be studying form I think snowHead
snow conditions
Megamum, Butterfly, this has the makings of a grudge match slalom at the EOSB Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, ah but Butterfly pace is snail's pace!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy