Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French resorts that aren't hell at half-term

Poster: A snowHead
Are there any?

France seems to be regarded as best-avoided at half-term, but are there actually any decent resorts that are bafflingly unpopular with the locals, and so don't generate really horrendous queues - or are there some resorts with such good infrastructure that the crowds are coped with enough to not ruin a holiday? Or am I going to Italy again?

Any tips for resorts in France when avoiding half-term is not an option?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Grave Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Rosiere Very Happy (seriously)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Ros is quiet at half-term, I know that already actually. We were in La Thuile last year and were surprised how quiet it was over the hill. It was this that prompted me to ask the question really. If there's one, there might be another.

Not going back to La Ros so soon after though.

Arno, very funny Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio,
I don't know because after a few bad experiences I have not tried others but there is also Austria, Switerland, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Andorra, North America Japan and others to try as well as Italy if it does not suit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, have been looking at Austria and Switzerland as well of course. Scandinavia looks a bit naff, ditto Andorra, and non-Europe is over-budget.

Thing is, I really - really - like France, and haven't been for ages.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
La Rosiere Very Happy (seriously)

and, seriously, I agree. I normally keep my head down on this topic, but this seems to be true. I think it is because, wherever you start from (OK unless it's Les Eucherts), you have to drive past several high-profile resorts: close to three valleys, almost through la Plagne and les Arcs and then do another 45 minutes. My theory is that the last 45 minutes are the worst for a parent. I will be doing my bit by not being there over half term again this year. Little Angel

David

edit - must type faster!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio,
Quote:

La Grave

Arno's quite right, LG is great at half term wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Please note: We're not going to La Rosiere or La Grave.

NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJ, No wonder the last 45 minutes feels like a long way is driving through La Plagne and Les Arcs Laughing Try taking the road along the a valley floor and turn left at BSM instead or right to Les Arcs NehNeh
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im stuck with half term next year as well (without kids) wanted to go to France but not in overcowded / over priced resort - After a lot of research I settled on a place called Val Cenis (bottom end of the Vanoise national park) although maybe slightly limited it looks good and opens up some excellant off piste opportunities - apparantly next year will also see a new link to the next village opening up additional (untouched ??!!) terrain
Prices are 20% lower as well

Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice spot Val Cenis, but if my Easter visit was anything to go by there may be queues for the bottom gondola at busy times.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FTS,
see, what it is is that I don't navigate by roads, only towns. So, if my route plan says 'la Plagne' I feel duty bound to get within sight of the Mairie. Now that you mention it though, just sticking on the N90 might be quicker. NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJ, But from Bourg St Maurice, the time to La Rosiere is comparable to Les Arcs (anywhere other than 1600), Tignes and Val d'Isere ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apologies to everyone for starting a thread all about La Rosiere by accident.
snow report
Guvnor,
true. It's just a theory.

That only puts La Ros and Tignes/Val d on an equal footing, though. On that basis would people choose Tignes more often than La Ros? Also you would have lost a lot to the temptations of the Bozel valley an hour before Bourg. The quietness at half term is observed (well reported), the reason is speculation.

David

ps Apologies in turn to paulio. Yet again my speed of response lets me down!

Got to go to work now anyway.
D
ski holidays
Try Valloire, its not busy busy in feb half term, is high enough to be snow sure in all but the most distasterous of conditions, pretty village, big enough area and close to the 3 V link at orelle. Also some good off piste that does not get tracked out in 30 seconds. Only let down is limited night life and some old slow chairs.
snow conditions
JimSearle, thanks, I'll look it up!

What does 'not busy busy' mean though? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Well despite the "Where to ski and snowboard 2008" book saying that the queues would be horrendous, we ended up in Serre Chevalier during half term this Feb, and I thought it was fine. Bit of trouble getting lessons at the exact time we wanted as it was the busiest week for the schools, but that was no big deal. I'd certainly go back there in h/term week.
ski holidays
Les Contamines never gets busy!!

It's why we're leaving it...........living in a ghost town Skullie most of the year has proven too much Shocked
ski holidays
jonm, thanks, good idea. Been to SC before as a rank beginner and liked it, so would be up for a return visit now I know what I'm doing.

marcellus, really? I imagined it would be really busy! Or are you joking?...
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
Well despite the "Where to ski and snowboard 2008" book saying that the queues would be horrendous, we ended up in Serre Chevalier during half term this Feb, and I thought it was fine. Bit of trouble getting lessons at the exact time we wanted as it was the busiest week for the schools, but that was no big deal. I'd certainly go back there in h/term week.

Dread to think what the links across to monetier were like they weren't great second week in march
snow conditions
paulio wrote:

marcellus, really? I imagined it would be really busy! Or are you joking?...

Totally 100% serious....even during the busiest weeks only really see a queue at any of the lifts if there's been a problem....they seem to be able to lose people..

You've got a choice of start point Le Lay or La Gorge....then either a gondola or chair up further...................Peak weeks it's quiet non peak weeks it's dead!!

There's no night life either
snow conditions
Quote:

Scandinavia looks a bit naff, ditto Andorra

IMHO - having skied about 120 resorts worldwide - Andorra is definitely not naff! The Grand Valira area (ie Soldeu/Pas de la Casa etc) is massive, fairly snow sure and on a par with somewhere like Les Arcs or La Plagne for high mileage cruising. Food, drink and accommodation are substantially cheaper than France as well.

We flew to Barcelona, hired a car and also skied Pal, Arcalis & Arinsal in Andorra, plus Porte de Puymorens in France and Masella/La Molina in Spain. Great trip!!
snow conditions
mountainaddict, we haven't ruled it out, just would much prefer French Alps over Andorran Pyrenees.
latest report
mountainaddict, I took my son to Soldeu El Tarter a few years ago after several years with no skiing, and it was the only destination we could get at short notice at half term. I was pleasantly surprised at the skiing available in the Grand Valira and it was a great place to get my son back into skiing.
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:

It's why we're leaving it...........living in a ghost town Skullie most of the year has proven too much Shocked

You say never busy, but what is the terrain like??? Going in half term myself and looking for a decent resort that isn't going to be mobbed?
latest report
i've never had any trouble at Les Carroz (Grand Massif) over New Year or 1/2 term
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlpineAddict wrote:
marcellus wrote:

You say never busy, but what is the terrain like??? Going in half term myself and looking for a decent resort that isn't going to be mobbed?

where to start??
> above the tree line
> Lots of easy reds, blues and some challenging blacks
> some excellent off piste too!!
ski holidays
Paulio

Never waited more than 5 or so mins at xmas and easter, usually ski straight onto the lift, mountain restaurants are not mobbed either
snow conditions
JimSearle, Easter and even Xmas do not compare with half-term (or New Year). Nonetheless, I agree you can find space at Les Contamines and queues are definitely less than Megeve or St Gervais. But do not expect empty slopes especially as all the English half-terms seem to coincide this year. Skiing is great with good snow retention. Lifts over into Hauteluce have some interesting quieter slopes too.
snow report
JimSearle wrote:
Paulio

Never waited more than 5 or so mins at xmas and easter, usually ski straight onto the lift, mountain restaurants are not mobbed either

Valloire is currently very near the top of my rather long resort shortlist. Some SCGB reports on their site echo the 'unusually quiet at half term' sentiment. Cheers for the tip.
latest report
Went to valmeinier is jan 2008. (linked to valloire) Valloire has 2 seemingly rather queue prone gondolas at the beginning of the day according to a mate who was staying over there. Overall the resorts were quite fun, especially on a snowy day when there was no one out. I had the place to myself it was brilliant! There does seem to be lots of beginners and early intermediates. plus lots of people on blades using poles! The other thing we noticed was how cheap everything was. The mountain with the older gondola out of Valloire is very old fashioned, with some very old lifts. There are lots of snowguns. the valmeinier side was busier than the valloire side. Getting back to valmeinier 1800 from valloire at the end of the day involves 2 of the slowest chairlifts going back to valmeinier 1500 and then on to 1800 I have ever been on....30 minutes in all.
latest report
Hm, that sounds a little less positive... queues off-peak...

Anybody been during half-term who can confirm or deny Valloire's now disputed quietness?
snow conditions
I only experienced queues at these gondolas just after lunch, but that was only for 5 minutes. My mate did say there were 10 to 15 minute waits at the beginning of the day, particularly at the old one, but you will get this in most resorts what ever time of year. (even la rosiere!!) Once up the mountain there were no particular queues, just lots of slow lifts. The blue runs were quite busy, but reds and blacks were virtually empty. Valmeinier apparently was pretty full while we were there (well we could not extend the p+v place for another 2 days as they were full the next week) So if that is what it was like nearly full (there was no where left to park at all) i should think it will be ok at half term.
ski holidays
carroz if you go again just drop down the back of the grand plataue straight into valmeinier 1800 there is either a black (which is tough has lots of off piste and is generally awesome) or a v pituresque blue. They both arrive at a fast quad that will take you up to 2 blue pistes from which you can ski back into the village. The only down fall is that to get to the blue you have to take a long drag lift on the grand plataeu. Some slow lifts are the price you pay for an affordable lift pass I suppose......
snow report
JimSearle, Yes i did that black, it was great, and very empty. The snow was better off piste than on. I never did all the blue, as the long drag always seemed to have long queues, and the reds / off piste down on the right of it before the start were always too tempting. They could do with replacing that lift with a chair, even a small one. and perhaps the other long drag that crosses the long black that goes right from the top of valloires main mountain.
I never used to think about the way you suggested which is better as a way back as the main reason for the longer way home was the black (grand cret?) down the side of the fast lift up from 1500, which is superb. I used to do it a few times until waiting for the last lift back/ One thing i did notice is the lifts do seem to shut late, once or twice i got back and it was very twilight.
ski holidays
paulio, You need to go to the smaller resorts where there are no big tour operators. that would mean less than 100kms of pistes. Les 7 Laux, and Chamrousse are near here and I think are quite nice for families. there are 100s of resorts that the Brits (including me) have never heard of. the French tourist office would be a good place to start. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, cheers. My sort of 'soft lower limit' for piste mileage is 150km, that's what I use as a benchmark for what I probably won't get bored of in a week Smile, but <100km with day-trip possibilities (we will have a hire car, definitely) is fine by me. I'll look into those places you mention - thanks. Valloire is still leading the race I think... 150km of its own, close to Les Karellis which definitely looks worth a day out, and close to Orelle for Val Thorens (which I realise will be busy) too. I think some tour ops do go to Valloire but it - for example - isn't featured in WTSS so is quite off-radar for most I'm assuming.

Thanks to everyone so far!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy