Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best of the Grand Massif Villages for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Which of Sameons, Les Carroz and Morillion is the best for beginners - access to easy slopes and ski school key criteria really.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morillon 1100 has the very very long marvel green run and the blue santons which is very wide all the way down from the top, samoens 1600 has a good wide area, with chairlifts (very slow ones) but is is rather busy (well i always seem to notice it is). Les carroz beginner bits are a bit awkward, either the small area in the village or the little green with a drag at the top. Of them all morillon would seem to be the best, as marvel gives beginners a sense of actually having gone somewhere.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seem to remember a piste through trees to Samoens that was quite gentle. Long time since I have been there, though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only stuff down to samoens is at vercland and is red and black, the black is not much steeper than the red, but the start of both is reasonably narrow and usually bumpy. The black is one of my favourite runs as it usually very quiet and the little old gondola means you can go round and round on it.

There is a long green down to morillon village itself through the trees which is not often open maybe you were thinking of that?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flaine...not on your list though?
Very compact.
Very easy access to ski school meeting point.
Beginners' slope is right in heart of the village, and progression pistes as you get the hang of it naturally work outwards and upwards.
Village is car free.

Ugy? Beauty is in the eye...hmmm...yep, it's ugly.
Good for beginners?
.................EXCELLENT for beginners!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would agree with rungsp, I would chose Flaine. Close your eyes and you will have a ball.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Flaine.....not as ugly as Le Menuires or Aime Le Plagne snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Another vote for Flaine.....not as ugly as Le Menuires or Aime Le Plagne

Makes a valiant attempt to attain such depths though. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes, Flaine. The last thing beginners want is lots of waiting round for buses, humping skis, walking etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having skied this area quite a lot I would definitely say Morillon (les esserts) has the best runs for beginners. There are some great long blues leading all the way down to the village. Les Carroz also has some nice runs bit are short and most are red.

Unfortunately the greens that run into Morillon (the town) and Vercland (lifts above samoens) are often closed due to not been pisted (not that they dont have snow on them).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have taught a friend to ski in Morillion 1100, there is a nice nursery area at the bottom and the green run from the top is a nice run to progess on before hitting the blue sairon run, both these runs are fairly long so you are not on and off the chairs all day. There is a 3 or 4 restaurants that are easy to get to as well and they are better value than Flaine. There is a ski school based at 1100 and the access is easy from the main village. From Morillion you can access the whole of the Grand Massif area without the need for buses etc Apres ski is not the biggest thing in Morillion not sure what it is like in Flaine. No matter where you choose in this area I'm sure you will enjoy it and it has one off the best snow records for a fairly low area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carroz, could be - too many years ago - would like to go back, but don't think I can plan it in with other things. I do remember a piste through trees - and I do remember being in Samoens a few times having skied down there. Nice area all round.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
morillion i would say, but flaine is very convienent for beginners
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not much to choose between Samoens, Morrillon and Les Carroz. All have decent ski schools, easy access to gentle runs and similar snow conditions. Samoens and Les Carroz are larger than Morrillon (village and 1100) with a bit more going on apres ski wise in terms or restaurants, shops and bars etc. Then again, Morrillon 1100 is trully ski home (i.e. to the appartment). Les Carroz is ski-to-the-village, whilst Samoens would probably require the cable car down the hill for beginners, and for everybody unless the snow is particularly strong.

Flaine - very ugly, very British, no culture, but very well located for skiing. If your trip is PURELY skiing, with no desire for atmosphere or dining out, then consider Flaine. Otherwise you would have a more rounded holiday at one of the satellite villages.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Morillion 1100 is very purpose built and doesn't have much of an atmosphere. We found there were only a few restaurants and most of them you had to book several days in advance (this was during half term). There wasn't a huge choice of bars for the post ski drinks either. THe Sherpa is good if you're doing self catering and does do ready cooked lasagnes and chickens. Some of the apartments have swimming pools if this is of any interest to you.

Having said that it is very good for ski in / ski out from all apartments blocks I would guess, apart from the first/last 5-10 yards and you should be able to see the slopes from most places - handy if you want to check the lifts are running before leaving or sit on the balcony watching others come down the slopes.

I know everyone says Flaine is ugly but I like it - completely honest architecture that doesn't try for the alpine pastiche of wooden chalets. It's also the best place to stay, imho, for ease of access to lots of different slopes.
ski holidays
Our favourite resort is a working alpine village, pretty, tree-lined runs etc etc and we go every year but having been to Flaine a couple of times, would be prepared to go again as the skiing is just fantastic for all levels and ski schools excellent. It's only the resort itself that is ugly and lacking in atmosphere and there's no getting away from this!
There are lots of different areas to ski (including beginners) with great scenery. When are you thinking of going and are you talking about complete beginners?
latest report
We stayed in Samoens this year, just opposite the lift that takes you up the mountain. Lots of ski school stuff going on as you get out of the lift. plenty of gentle slopes, leading onto more adventurous stuff.
ski holidays
There is meant to be a new beginners area and lift ready for xmas 08 in Flaine http://www.grand-massif.com/panoramaofthefuture/
and for those that know Flaine the bucket to be renovated and a new chair up the Aujon for 2009
latest report
gsb,
Quote:

and for those that know Flaine the bucket to be renovated

HIP HIP HURRAY!

Useful site, thanks.
ski holidays
and for those that are interested, a link below to the plans for the Les Carroz ski area upgrades over the coming few years.

http://www.lescarroz.com/index.jsp?c=70691

does anybody know of other upgrades in the area? I've heard about a replacement lift to Tetes de Saix from the Samoens area.
snow report
Doing a bit of research for the family holiday next Jan.
Which is the best area of Flaine to stay in for easy access to the slopes? The town map doesnt really help. It looks as if it is opposite to the Piste map.
Is the Foret side the best or the Font de neige? rolling eyes
latest report
Michael B, I would always go for Foret - quieter in the evenings (you can get up & down from Forum if you eat down there) but more importantly it's so handy for the slopes. Short walk along to pistes either a few metres to Grand Vans Express for 8 seater access to Samoens, Morillon & Les Carroz (never queued here Very Happy ) or short poma, walk or rope tow to then ski down to Forum (ie to join DMC) if needed. If you were in Forum to start with you would have to get the bucket lift up in the mornings to get to Grand Vans Crying or Very sad
Coming back to Foret at the end of the day is good too as you can bypass Forum altogether if needed.
Forum better for toboganning, restaurants. Ski schools meet in both areas so no probs there. The path between the two areas is quite steep so not something to tackle with any clobber and definitely not ski boots! So you rely on the bucket lift (which is only really open at the same time as ski lifts) and there are two (only ever seen one working at any one time) old lifts down from the main road in Forum that are open until very late (or perhaps all night??).
latest report
The ascenceurs (free lift) from Foret to Forum run 24hrs.

Foret is much nicer, and with the new lift for the Intrawest development this year will be even easier to get to.

Simo1234, some more info for the Grand Massif developments.

http://www.grand-massif.com/panoramaofthefuture/
snow conditions
Having learnt to ski in Flaine, I would totalyl agree with all the comments here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy