Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis- To wax or not to wax?

Poster: A snowHead
I have recently bought some new skis and i dont know if i should wax them before i take them out to play- im a relative beginner and was advised that they should be fine to use as they are, but would it be better to wax?
Cheers Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends if the ski shop did it or not, if it did you might leave it. If they've the factory finish on then I'd wax them. Actually, either way I'd wax them. I'd also edge them as well as the factory edge wouldn't suit me.

There's a thread about this in this section already which a lot of interesting comments.

Welcome !!!!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In fact here's the link

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3636
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers! Am in a bit of a hurry for it tho- does anyone from Germany know if InterSport does waxing?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise, Interesting. I've always just skiied mine straight from the box. Following that thread, I'm going to get some work done on my edges other than just sharpening them.

jayne, ise meant to say "Welcome To Snowheads" too - but he was too keen to help. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi marc- did u ski with them waxless or had they been done by the shop? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne, I had presumed that the factory would have done it, to give them a protective finish. I didn't really check as such.

But they did feel kind of, you know, waxy when I got them. Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cool, well i'll give them the once over when i get home and give it my Confused opinion on just how waxy they feel Wink !! cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jayne wrote:
Cheers! Am in a bit of a hurry for it tho- does anyone from Germany know if InterSport does waxing?

You in Germany ? I used to live in Germany. Intersport is just a franchise isn't it though? So, it depends on the actual outlet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ah right- they might have to do as they are for now! i wasnt sure because they do rental etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If they place is doing rental they'll have a workshop, they also may well have waxed them already.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
S&R have advised me that new skis should come with an adequate level of wax so I intend to take full advantage of moving slowly on my first day of the season and then get them waxed at a resort shop early in the week. Should then be a suitable wax for the local snow/temp conditions Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, ah well, there you go, that's S&R for you then Very Happy

You'll need to find a very, very special shop to do anything other than use a universal wax though. I'd not worry, any wax is better then none.

Welcome !!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In my experience, most skis are fine out-of-the-box for about 3 days of skiing. after that you're gonna want to wax them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers- i think thats what i'll do as am away for 3 days, then have a week to sort them out before going again. thanks for your help!
latest report
Cheers ise - this is now my 3rd forum, skiing, mountain biking and climbing. All I need now is one more hidiously expensive hobby... ARGH!!! Shocked . S&R wern't too bad though... seeing as I bought my skis'n'bindings elsewhere in the summer sales, got my boots from them so they set up the skis free of charge.
snow report
I've just bought some ex-rental skis, the shop have serviced them and waxed them when they were returned at the end of the season. Sorry to sound really stupid but do I need to remove some of the wax before I use them?
latest report
Not unless it's inches thick Very Happy A lot of people leave wax on rather than scrape it off and structure the bases during the off-season (that's a fortnight in August apparently) I find it soon comes off after a run or two anyway. Later in the season I'll go the whole way and remove the wax though, it's just sometimes I can't be bothered.
latest report
Ok cool thanks
ski holidays
Make sure you do remove the wax if you're going on a dry slope though - unless you want to stick fast!
ski holidays
Ise said
Quote:

You'll need to find a very, very special shop to do anything other than use a universal wax though. I'd not worry, any wax is better then none.

Devon Ski center, Oak Place, Newton Abbot, S. Devon will ask you where you are skiing next and put on appropriate temperature wax.
They will also service your skis any way you like. Not sponsored by them (I wish!) or related to them in any way, but they do provide a very special service.

No use to you in switzerland though Ise.
ski holidays
maybe not, but if they know the temperature just by knowing the location then I'll most certainly give them a call Very Happy
ski holidays
Ive got a fair bit of skiing experience behind me, but have only just bought my first set of skis last weekend.

Just a quick question...

Ive heard a lot of people say that the wax helps to pretect the ski. But what exactly does it help to protect against?
The ski's ive bought dont have any wax on them at the moment, I take it I should get it done before I go away?
ski holidays
Both wetness and dryness

It helps stop the edges from rusting from the wet and the bases from breaking down if they dry out.

If your skis are new they will have wax on them already, second hand probably won't. The wax is actually held inside the bases. Think of a spunge with very small holes.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, I have not had a new pair of skis with wax on them ever in 34 years of skiing. Unless, of course, you buy them from a shop and they wax them for you (which many do). They do not come waxed from the factory.
snow report
Ise said
Quote:

maybe not, but if they know the temperature just by knowing the location then I'll most certainly give them a call

I said they were good! Poorly worded.

On a slightly different track - do shops de-tune tips and tails before selling skis. I've suffered from an over-zealous service before where tips and tails had not be de-tuned and caught on every little lump in the snow.
Just wondering if this happens as a matter of course, or whether they are detuned at the factory?
ski holidays
The last time I got a new pair I got them direct from the distributor (competition prize!!!) and was told they were totally ready for the snow, waxed, edged, tips & tails feathered. And they were just as described. I would have thought most shops would just stick them on the racks and add the price tags.
snow report
Just got my new SX10s they are NOT waxed but are covered in a silicon spray coat . . . God they're a nauseas shade of green. On another thread issue I’ve just put an engineer’s rule across the edge angles and as far as I can tell they’re 0/88! appart from being able to shave with them, they’re going to be as twitch as hell!
I knew I should have stuck with my boards.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv, nice! You will find this rare, at least here in the States...
ski holidays
Masque, if you didn't want twitchy, why'd you get the SX10s?! Twisted Evil
snow report
ssh, You've seen where I hail from? Guess where I keep my brains . . .
snow conditions
Masque, Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing Laughing snowHead NehNeh Cool Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy