Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone know what a "Garni" Hotel in Austria is ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a tourist office brochure from resort we ski in (Obertauern, Austria). The book starts with regular most expensive 4 star hotels, down to 2 stars, then the ‘Garni’ Hotels start, also graded 4 – 2 star. (Then the pensions which I understand). I thought to begin with that hotels given the Garni title maybe smaller, or only B & Bs, or have less facilities than the lowest 2 star regular Hotels, but this is not so. Some 4 star Garni hotels have the same facilities as the 4 star regular hotels, are as large, and some are even more expensive.

I have emailed the tourist office on numerous occasions to ask for an explanation as to what these ‘Garni’ Hotels are, but they never answer.

Has anyone got an explanation?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Austria-134/Hotel-Garni.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just bed and breakfast, no dinner, well not included anyhow, some do do dinner on some nights.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep bed and breakfast only, although they are meant to be of a generally higher standard than a Pension with more facilities, so a hotel, but without evening meal. For example there might still be a bar open some nights and wellness/sauna etc. just no evening meal.

D
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Deliaskis, Well that's what I don't understand, the Garni hotel I’m considering has a restaurant, offers half board with an a la carte menu. As well as a Wellness centre and swimming pool!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, how odd! Well lucky you then!

The only thing I can think is that it didn't used to, but that sounds like I'm trying to come up with a cr@p explanation.

Does normally mean no restaurant though, honest!

D
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed in a couple of really nice Garni Hotels in Switzerland, usually it just means Bed and Breakfast only but one of teh ones I stayed in Was B&B in the summer but you could have Half Board in the winter perhaps the hotel you are looking at is like that, it's certainly not an indicaton of size or quality as one of the ones I stayed in had over 100 bedrooms and was very well equiped
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deliaskis, Well it must be something on the lines of B & B, as out of the 13 listed, only 3 offer 1/2 board but most of them do have restaurants and bars. But then there is another section with all the B & Bs and pensions, so very confusing...but thanks for all your replies...just need to afford the air tickets now!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I confirm it means B&B. Perhaps the Restaurant is a separate thing intended for the general public, perhaps run by someone else? I have been in B&Bs which offer an evening meal somewhere nearby.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimSearle wrote:
some do do dinner on some nights.

Sounds appetising. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oooohh... you learn something new everyday! i guess I could re-label myself as a Garni (but then nobody would know what on earth I as talking about). However, a lot of people in England get a little confued by Pension as well!

sharon1953, why not have a look at skiing the wider Ski Amade area? Obertauern is fantastic but there is a lot more out here!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax, yes I know, been looking at Flachau and Wagrain - we use Snowbikes now, so need to keep the hiring of these in mind. The benefit of Obertauern is the altitude, such good snow when the rest of Austria may not have, and the lift attendants are so obliging with the bikes.

It seems there are pensions with evening meals, Garni that are half board, 4 star hotels that have appartments with B & B, and half board, and private rooms that do the lot...so very, very confusing! Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy