Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time to Dolomites Xmas 08: Selva, Ortisei or Canazei?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

Am all excited at the thoughts of finally getting to the Dolomites. We (MrRibena and I) are hoping to go at Christmas on a package deal (as flights are so dear then to DIY then). We are restricted by work to taking our main holiday at Christmas, so hopefully the snow is ok in the Dolomites then.

There's only one TO doing it out of Ireland, so our choice of resorts are limited to Selva, Ortisei and Canazei. Flights will be to Verona Brescia.

I've read loads of threads and all of these sound great to me but I wondered if anyone was familiar with all three that could help us weigh up the pros and cons. We are not party people but like a nice village to wander around, maybe with a swimming complex. Our major concern is quick access to good skiing (I'm a happy-on-red intermediate, he loves blacks). Is there any major difference re transfers?

Thanks a million
Rebecca

PS So fantastic to be back talking about skiing again Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No swimming in Selva (unless your hotel has a pool).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MissRibena, I have organised our group's holidays for a number of years now. Two years ago we did Selva and loved it so much went back last year. It is not a very good place re tour operators! DIY is simple out of Ireland and just as cheap, bearing in mind that you probably will only see a rep when they are looking for you to join an organised pub crawl or something like that.

The two hotel we used were both good 3*, good location, one being best location in resort IMO.

Give me a PM and I will give you all the details you need re hotels, transfers etc.

Selva is a fantastic place you will love it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Roy - I've sent you a PM.

Rebecca
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been to the dolomities in the winter, however I was there about 2 weeks ago. But I can tell you I was impressed by Canazei. Pretty town with one lift. A good selection of restaurants. There was also a swimming pool complex. There was one apparent newish gondola upto the main slopes and onto the sella ronda.

I think there are a lot more difficult pistes in Val Gardena (selva) and lots more pistes down to the village.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MissRibena, You will love the Dolomites. We have been to Selva 3 years running - huge ski area, beautiful scenery, not too expensive. We love it. I am trying to persuade my OH to go back this year.

Can we call you Miss Ribena Light - it sounds better than Miss Ribena?!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970, I only wish I was Ribena Light! Happy Birthday by the way.

I should have also asked if there was any advantage/disadvantage with doing the Hidden Valley or the Sella Ronda with any of those locations.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MissRibena, Selva of the three resorts you mentioned is better placed for the Hidden Valley and the Sella Ronda .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MissRibena, EXCELLENT choice - Dolomites. I spend every Christmas at our San Cassiano chalet (Alta Badia) after a couple of seasons working there...it's my favourite place, especially at Christmas! As for which resort from the ones you've mentioned - Selva's the more lively town, no public swimming pool though. Selva and Canazei are both on Sella Ronda circuit, but a good distance from Hidden Valley and Marmalada. There are some lovely quiet villages in Alta Badia (La Villa has public swimming pool) - not so many large tour operaters around though so DIY might be better (thankfully - we like keeping it to ourselves!!). We do transfers from Venice, not sure about other companies. Not sure that we've got much space left for Christmas, but if you want me to check PM me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Joanne Mountainsun, How long does it take to ski across the Sella Ronda circuit from San Cassiano? Is there much life in places like San Cassiano and La Villa in the evening? Reason for asking is that we are planning a Dolomites trip next winter, end Jan/Early Feb, and accomodation seems much cheaper just off the Selva/Corvara/Arabba circuit.

Robin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobinS, From San Casisiano you could be in Corvara (ON the circuit) in 20 -25 mins not even at break neck speed! Would not imagine that San Cassiano has the same nightlife as Selva, but that said if it can save a few bob may be a better option. I would go there to ski, but for the "lads" holiday, I would want something with more nightlife.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MissRibena wrote:
jb1970, I only wish I was Ribena Light! Happy Birthday by the way.

I should have also asked if there was any advantage/disadvantage with doing the Hidden Valley or the Sella Ronda with any of those locations.

Canazei is the best of those locations for the Hidden valley, and also the shortest transfer from Verona (although not by much).

Either Canazei or Selva are right on the Sella Ronda, so it makes no difference which of the two you are in for that. Orisei means you have to go up the valley to Selva first.

Canazei also has the Eghes Wellness Centre and swimmning pool complex. http://www.canazei.org/eghes/index.asp?page=393266968061343
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, I have just checked the ski map again and Selva is a shorter ski time to the Hidden Valley than Canazei.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman wrote:
alex_heney, I have just checked the ski map again and Selva is a shorter ski time to the Hidden Valley than Canazei.

OK.

I wasn't thniking of ski time, I was thinking in terms of how long the bus takes to get there.

Although I'm a little surprised even on ski time, since it is at the directly opposite side of the Sella Massif to Selva, while Canazei is only about 120 degrees around.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, It would be a long twisty journey on a bus from both Canazei or Selva much better fun to ski to Armentarola where you catch the bus or taxi up to the cable car which takes you up to the start of the Hidden Valley.
ski holidays
I didnt think you could ski to the Lagauzoi cable car (for the Hidden Valley) from anywhere other than Cortina.

I thought you could only access it by car/bus from Selva, Arabba or Canazei.

Surely if you're wanting to go the Hidden Valley, an organised trip would be the best way of getting there. From what I've read all the tour ops organise weekly trips.
snow report
Christopher, To ski the Hidden valley only takes about 1 hr including the horse pull out so most people including organised parties ski from the village they are staying to the pick-up point up to the cable car.
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone for all the replies (especially Roy Hockley's help). We have gone for Selva but have moved it out for a 10 night stay in March so we can explore even more!

Rebecca
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy