Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Landgraff wow!!!

Poster: A snowHead
well...... anyone who has spent any time in one of teh fridges in the UK and got bored after a few runs should try this place....Snow World [ www.snowworld.com ] in Landgraaf in Holland, the centre has 2 nursery slopes, a main slope, 520m long!!!!! a fun park, and a FIS training slope where they inject the snow to firm it up for training from july til sept, the main slopes are fed by a choice of 2 poma lifts and a chairlift

the video attached shows part of the main slope you cna see the top in some of the footage and the point where i was shooting from was about 2/3 of the way down this is on the main slope, the FIS slope and the chair were closed for summer maintenance.... prices in the summer are silly cheap about 39€ for an 8 hour pass, and they have a hotel on site if you want to stay

[img]https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/thumbs/Untitled.wmv[/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM, wasn't there a thread about this some time ago and a bash was mooted?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, not sure, but it would be a good weekend away
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It illustrates how badly short changed we are over here, both in terms of price and facilities!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, they are planning to open 6 more centres [they already have 4] in the next 3 years and the guy i spoke to said they were looking at UK locations for one of them....the owner is a mad keen skier and the whole thing is geared towards skiing, they offer race training facilities and groups can book a training lane at no charge if there is a slot available, the group i was with took out own gates buut they will rent them to groups who don't have any. completely different attitude to the centres in this country, the staff were all polite, new their product and were interested in finding out more about the group
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
roga, they are planning to open 6 more centres [they already have 4] in the next 3 years and the guy i spoke to said they were looking at UK locations for one of them....the owner is a mad keen skier and the whole thing is geared towards skiing, they offer race training facilities and groups can book a training lane at no charge if there is a slot available, the group i was with took out own gates buut they will rent them to groups who don't have any. completely different attitude to the centres in this country, the staff were all polite, new their product and were interested in finding out more about the group

Get back in touch with him and tell him he is bound to find a suitable location around SW London. Sandown Park, for example, would offer good transport links and be within a short commute of London and much of the south east. And it would be 15 minutes from me, but I doubt that would carry much weight with him Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, Nice edit on 31 seconds to erase the head butt of the side wall Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From my neck of SE England that's only a tiny bit further than driving to Tamworth!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, she didn't hit the wall....she missed it by about 3"....the reason you see the snow is because i put the camera down to make sure she was all right.... there was one ride the wall moment but the camera was away by then Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, 3 hours from calais...just a really boring road
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio wrote:
From my neck of SE England that's only a tiny bit further than driving to Tamworth!

Amneville is a similar distance too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, still 20€ more for a day ticket which is only skiing...the landgraaf price includes lunch Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, yep, great place, hope to be going again soon myself
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, Looks great, but the Hendrick's is more expensive than Sainsbury's wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could do both in a weekend and get about the same quantity of pisted terrain as at a Scottish resort, and a better standard of spoken English.
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
main slope, 520m long!!!!!

Longer than the planned main slope for "Snoasis" (415m).
I think Bottrop (Germany) is the world's longest. (640m)
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Could do both in a weekend and get about the same quantity of pisted terrain as at a Scottish resort, and a better standard of spoken English.

Oi, watch it ye cheeky wee monkey or someone will set the carnivorous haggises on you NehNeh Wink Laughing
latest report
Martin Bell wrote:
CEM wrote:

If that one ever actually happens!
CEM wrote:

Brilliant news, I hope it happens and I wish them every success - it'll certainly up the standard of what we get in the UK by miles!

As for location, whilst somewhere south of London is an obvious one I'd also suggest that the South West (around Bristol perhaps Toofy Grin ) would be another good location given the lack of such facilities down this way. Failing that could we compromise on somewhere slightly west of London? Toofy Grin
snow report
Good, cus i'm gonna spend a WEEK there Skullie

First (split out) part very impressively called "National Ski Instructor" of my Anwärter course.
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
CEM wrote:

From the looks of it (haven visited Landgraaf before) Bottrop is less exciting.... Only 1 slope, which is light green for a fair bit...
latest report
There's a luxury overnight boat from Hull to Rotterdam - so big and stable even I managed to sleep on it and not feel

I think it's supposed to be the largest car ferry in current use.
snow conditions
Martin Bell wrote:
CEM wrote:

Bottrop has a revamped website

http://www.alpincenter.com/index.php?id=1&L=2
snow conditions
Some previous posts

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=697942&highlight=snoworld#697942

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=475166&highlight=snowworld#475166

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=71569&highlight=snowworld#71569
ski holidays
Just spend a whole WEEK at Snowworld for my instructors course. Skullie

Have to say: the slope is impressive. Pretty much perfect for training. The 'FIS' slope was in use by Racers from Norway, Netherlands, Hungary and probably others. Did do a few runs on it when the racers were gone in the evening...
2 of the dutch girls said it was so icy it wasn't any fun even for them... I agree Wink

Chairlift bloody slow... the Poma was so much faster it really made a difference during training with our Austrian instructors in the mornings. Also late in the evening when they shut the chair again.. much more effective.
snow report
Butterfly,

They will be 2 that sort of size doing the Dover Calais route by 2010.
latest report
How do they do the snow in these places- is it like the snowcannons on the mountains - in our Swiss resort where they had a brand new system installed this year it was explained that they wait for the correct temperature and humidity and then spray water from the overhead booms where it turns into snow on contact with the air - I thought this was a revelation - I'd never understood how it was done until it was explained to me. Do they do something similar in the 'fridges'?
ski holidays
Megamum,

pretty much...it is why they call them a fridge..you need cold temps to make and keep the snow.
ski holidays
JT, yeah, I'd gathered the 'fridge' bit thanks! rolling eyes What I hadn't appreciated until it was mentioned was how critical the humidity was to the process - of course from a chemistry perspective it all makes sense - phase diagrams and all that- I just hadn't thought about it until until it was explained.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum,

ok...next time you ask a question, I'll remember that
snow conditions
JT, Sorry, no offence intended - but I had twigged why they were called fridges wink It was the process of how the snow was produced that had rather baffled me until the chap in charge of the mountain in Switzerland explained his snow system to me with great pride - I think he just wanted to explain it to someone, I hadn't actually asked, but it filled in the journey on the chair lift as we went over the water booms. For some reason I wasn't expecting it to start with water being sprayed and for the actual process of making the snow to still be dependant on on the air conditions that it would take to make snow anyway. I assumed that the snow could be made in any coldish conditions and that whether it then lasted then depended on whether conditions were sub-zero, i.e. that snow/ice particles were actually sprayed out as ice particles -frozen in the making apparatus, rather than as water and that it required the air to do the rest. It actually means that artificial snow cannot be made all the time, even if the temps are sub-zero, the air conditions actually had to be correct as well. So even an artificial snow system in a resort doesn't necessarily guarantee snow. Also, I know that they can add a nutrient chemical to the water so it freezes earlier and that this can cause pollution through the addition of nutrients to the pastures in the spring melt. Apparently the farmers like this - better grass, but it could be causing longer term problems in the groundwater.

I just wondered if the snow domes had a similar system or if they used some different method to get their snow - if so then they must have be constantly monitoring the humidity as well as the temperature in these places.

I just find it all rather interesting .
snow conditions
Landgraaf has a couple of pretty normal looking Fan-snowguns in the hall... and judging the snow hanging from support beams i'm quiet sure they simply use them as a normal alpine resort would use them.

Landgraaf has full control of the air conditions inside, so its probably very easy...
snow conditions
I stuck my head in one of those snow cannons once, it makes a weird throbbing noise in there, froze my face solid though and my goggle lense didnt de ice for hours Sad

I intend to hit up teh landgraaf in the autumn, the park looks fun. Anyone know if the rental gear is decent or on a par with most dutch equipment I see in the winter.
snow conditions
stab, Rental gear is rubbish. Some semi decent skis, but i haven't seen anything worth your time regarding the boards.

The Park does look pretty decent, for a fridge....
Nothing near to white-elements @First obviously, but a bunch of jumps, slides and all.
latest report
Now by the sounds of it there could be a couple of different systems - stab, you talk about snow cannons big enough to put your head into. In Switzerland they have relatively thin bar that arches out over the width of the piste that I envisage produces a fine spray of water droplets into the air. By all accounts its incredibly efficient - IIRC in just three minutes they can have a covering of snow and in 15 minutes enough to make it worth bashing.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Now by the sounds of it there could be a couple of different systems - stab, you talk about snow cannons big enough to put your head into. In Switzerland they have relatively thin bar that arches out over the width of the piste that I envisage produces a fine spray of water droplets into the air. By all accounts its incredibly efficient - IIRC in just three minutes they can have a covering of snow and in 15 minutes enough to make it worth bashing.

yes,there are many different systems, however I suspect you mean "in your little swiss resort" they have the thin bar, rather than "in Switzerland" Wink

http://www.snowmakers.com/products/masterproducts.html

cheers,

Greg
latest report
Megamum wrote:

I'm on about sticking your head in these bad boys. Everyone should do it at least once in their lives imo.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09e323G6kg5mZ/610x.jpg
that's not me by the way, nor is it my picture.

Ronald cheers, bit far for me to take my board though, looks like I get to abuse someone else's rentals for a change.
ski holidays
kitenski, Wow, all sorts of different systems - I bet some of them are quite a sight when they are working. The ones they put in our resort look a bit like the Vikings a long lance that arches out over the piste. I wouldn't have ever thought that snowmaking was their purpose if I hadn't been told.

I must admit I like the snowamking concept and science behind it - its neat, uses basic scientific premise and clearly works if conditions are correct. A super real life adaptation of physical state phases that should be added to every description of these in a class to demonstrate a real life application. Real life explanations of scientific theory and principle are one of my hobby horses - science must be brought to life IMHO

Sorry, folks - anorak moment here, I'll get my coat Embarassed
snow report
you should like this link....

http://www.snowathome.com/

and this one...

http://www.snowathome.com/snowmaking_science.php

cheers,

greg
latest report
kitenski, fascinating - thanks snowHead
latest report
...and it reckons I could have made snow in Leeds 12 days last winter......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy