Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milton Keynes skier seeks gold for Ghana at 2006 Winter Olympics

Poster: A snowHead
another thing i have noticed is most people seem to consider eddy the eagle as some kind of joke. i wil really wish to meet him and pump his hand and tell him well done. after that i would wish to get a resort with a ski jump to allow me use the jump for a day. i see you are wondering what i would use it for? well i would then make a list of all who see what eddy the eagle did as a bit of a joke and invite them to have a free go at ski jumping [all to be shown on tv] after they have all had a go i would then interview the survivors and find out if they still maintain its a joke jumping of a laaaarge ramp at 60mph.

the survivors for their troubles should be rewarded don't you think so? what about their choice of either gs, sg or a downhill race, i would join in too
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the jamaicans have been mentioned

hmmmmmmmmm

i believe we are talking about the same 4 guys who posted one of the fasted push times, crashed out of their final run, and came back two years later to win a MEDAL in the 2 man bob in the worldchamps.

if the went all the way despite the difficulties, then i better up my game and hit my chosen sport hard
here comes the little CAT from ghana. no one will notice me till i step up on the slope in turin. what i really need more than money is peoples prayers, help, advice and support from guys like you on this forum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i am typing fast and furiously so pardon the mistakes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowleopard, We all make mistakes with our spelling, if you have the guts and determination to even consider attempting to compete at a world class level then I take my hat off to you, good luck to you and I hope you do really well, just to upset all those who laugh and deride those who make the effort, Eddie the eagle may never have stood a chance of winning a medal but as you say let those who laugh go to the top of a ski jump and give it a try.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
unfortunately i am not being explioted all the way to the bank. for someone who has a pretty good education and a good understanding of business i would not let anyone expliot me. i am well aware of why companies sponsor athletes. as i have pointed out i am not recieving any money. if at a later stage of my campaign i recieve some funding fine, i will count it as payment for my coach and payment for what i have had to give up to answer some questions about ski racing.

for the moment i am content with advertising and promoting my sponsors where ever i go in exchange for the much needed equipment for training and competing. i do not ask for much of my sponsors. for example ski wise i have a single GS ski for racing and one for training. i am not a world champion ski racer and any good gear will do just fine, it will even make qualifying sweeter
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hmmmm

someone has mentioned eating a beret cap. i am going to hold the fellow to his statement. you will be allowed to have it with sauce, and one drink of your choiceand it has to be a furry black beret cap. don't gorget i wish to watch the chef's special go down

i will be buying
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I saw you on C4 from the comfort of bed this morning. You came over really well. Best of luck to you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thank you chris bish for the positive support. people like you make all the effort and sacrifice worth it
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
well i believe i have posted enough stuff to answer some questions on the forum today i will be back later to see what will be waiting for me
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowleopard, I made the 'exploited all the way to the bank' statement. It was firmly 'tongue in cheek'. I wish you all the best, and if you do end up being well-rewarded, so much the better!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm guilty of the beret comment, but I think it's only fair that you let me select the type of beret I have to eat wink . Still, if you pull off an Olympic downhill race at motorway speeds after a year's training, I take my beret off to you. And even if it doesn't work out, well done for trying, your enthusiasm is obvious.

I see you're training just down the road in Méribel. Would you agree to an interview for snowHeads/snowRacers, plus some photos?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowleopard, welcome to snowHeads, and good luck to you. I admire you for having the chutzpa to try, and this thirty something skier will be rooting for you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowleopard, welcome to snowHead snowheads snowHead and good luck. Thanks for giving us the facts straight from the skiers mouth.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hello PG
you are always welcome. i should be back in meribel on the 10th as i might have to go to ghana to meet with the sports authorities. i will keep you posted always and will definately give snowheads an exclusive interview. so please prepare some really challenging questions, cause i love being tested.

and i always need help from pros in the snowsport industry. if you ski or board then i would like to go for a blast with you.

to all other snowheads thanks for the warm welcome, i have received some very harsh welcomes in some circles so i really appreciate the warm reception. i guess i am going to be a snowhead for life

thanks again
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowleopard, I imagine the most important thing for you in competing for your 'home' nation (do you have dual UK-Ghanaian nationality?) is the chance to excite the audience with things they've never been exposed to - a national hero in wintersports.

But are the Winter Olympics traditionally broadcast on TV in Ghana? If not, do you reckon your involvement will encourage the TV channels to screen your races live?
ski holidays
snowleopard, I'll do my best to think up some challenging questions! wink Pick a day ... Cactus Cafe for lunch, maybe?
latest report
hi david

the most important thing in terms of competing for my home nation is to inspire others to follow as well as put ghana on the map. the main thing is to get other african nations to have a go. it will definately excite people to have a fellow ghanaian doing the unusual.

traditionally maybe a handfull of people would watch the winter olympics if it was broadcasted on ghanaian tv. making it to the games would definately change that. i do not want to be a hero, because i think i would not be to good at it, i would like to inspire people, but want to be just a punter who has taken his game further.

PG

meribel is a small place [not in terms of the pistes though. so catch me whenever after training which is around 4pm and all my cat ears will be yours
snow conditions
due to the fact that i was borne in the uk, and both my parents being ghanaian i qualify to have dual citizenship. so yes i am a uk citizen as well as a ghanaian
ski holidays
snowleopard, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Great to have you "on board".(I guess that really should be "on skis"!!)

Once a snowHeads, always a snowHead...as someone said once wink
snow report
hi elizabeth b

thanks for the welcome looking forward to talking and discussing various snow issues as time goes by. currently trying to sort out all the logistics needed for my campaign [it's a nightmare] rolling eyes
snow report
snowleopard, just wondered if you knew exactly what the IOC regulations are for qualifying for the Winter Games? I've seen 140 FIS points in a FIS article, 120 points mentioned elsewhere. When do you think you'll be doing your first races?
ski holidays
A similar story from the Advertiser An Australian girl of Italian / Cypriot parentage in 5 years from starting to ski has won her 3rd straight aerials World Cup and now intends to try for Pole Vaulting in the 2008 Olympics, after the 2006 Winter Olympics of course.
Quote:
It'S taken Lydia Ierodiaconou just five years to go from skiing beginner to world No. 1, so don't try telling her she can't win a Winter Olympics gold medal and then represent Australia in pole vault at Beijing in 2008.

"Why not? I like being 30 foot in the air, like a bird in the sky," said Ierodiaconou, who yesterday continued her amazing ascension as a skiing acrobat with a third straight World Cup victory at Mont-Tremblant, Canada.

"My immediate goals are to win the World Cup title this season and then bring home a gold medal from the Winter Olympics in Turin next year.

"But if everything goes well for me, I'd really like to have a go as a pole vaulter and maybe make it to Beijing.
snow report
And another similar tale about a one man Mexican team !! But what a man. Well worth a read. In this article from the International Herald Tribune which happens to answer PG's question in the last para - it's 120 points.
Quote:
The descendant of a dethroned royal family from a former principality in what is now Germany, the 45-year-old Hubertus von Hohenlohe is set to compete in Bormio, Italy, for the Mexican ski team. In fact, he is the Mexican ski team.

After failing to make it into the national squad in his family home of Liechtenstein when he was a student, von Hohenlohe personally set up the Mexican ski federation in 1981, before going on to represent Mexico at the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo, then part of Yugoslavia.

Born in Mexico with a Mexican grandmother and some property in the country, von Hohenlohe does at least have stronger links to his adopted nation than many other country-swapping athletes.
With four Olympics and 11 world championships under his slowly expanding belt, he has already set several records for longevity, if not for speed.
And he is still entering competions - if he can get under the 120 point barrier. snowHead
ski holidays
snowleopard, just seen this thread......... Shocked Shocked Shocked .........great story and thanks for letting us know about it, you passion and enuthiasm is boundless..............best of luck with everything, hope to see you at Turin and doing as well as possible (........gold, or would you settle for silver wink ).

One of my mates I play hockey (he's a goalkeeper) with down here in Brighton used to work at Xscape, name is Nathan - do you know him? I'll ask him later about you plight and see what he knows, sounds fascinating!!

Best of luck, I expect to see a snowHeads sticker on the end of your sk=s when you get through the finishing gate........and possibly on the podium!!! snowHead
snow report
click to see high res image120 points is pretty high standard. I was at a FIS giant slalom yesterday in Les Menuires and wondered if I might see "snowleopard" on the start list! No sign of him in FIS races yet though.

I imagine that he would have designs on the giant slalom discipline rather than the more technical slalom, or the out and out speed events.

A young European Cup racer won the event in Les Menuires. Back in 35th place (click on photo) a 15 year old from the Les Arcs club in his first FIS season dipped under the 120 point figure, just under 8 seconds behind the winner's 67.64 seconds in the first run, 5 seconds in the easier, more open second run. Not such a tough barrier then? Can snowleopard get within 10% of the time of a FIS race winner? Well Pierre Crétier may only be 15, but has been skiing since he could barely walk! I have yet to spot snowleopard on the slopes, but if he can take the gates like Pierre in the photo, then perhaps he's in with a chance ... but it does seem rather unlikely.
ski holidays
hi guys

have not been able to get online. PG you can contact snowsystems in meribel or the base camp group to find me. the leopard will soon be entering his first race and will keep all snow heads posted
snow conditions
snowleopard, good luck Laughing
snow report
Best of luck, snowleopard!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah! Definitely the very best of luck,snowleopard.
latest report
Go for it, snowleopard! And watch those binding settings. I don't know how much GS racers generally crank up the settings, but I blew out last time I went through some gates.

At least, that was my excuse.
snow report
Wow, what a great story, and a scoop for Snowheads! Best wishes snowleopard.
latest report
Only just read this thread ... inspiring stuff, hope it's a great experience snowleopard and good luck!!!
snow conditions
Go for it Snowleopard!! I'm British of Caribbean decent and was rather hoping that my (yet to be born) kids would be the first black regulars on the World Cup circuit!! Looks like you're going to beat them to it. Very best of luck! Very Happy
snow report
thanks guys

i will be definately putting my best skis forward and will do my best to make snowheads prowd of having me on the forum.

have to go to bed early, if it does not snow then i will have a good training day, powder snow is definately not my thing. wink
latest report
snowleopard, best of luck! spoke to nathan on saturday, he said he hopes to get out at somepoint to slide with you (finances at uni allowing!).
ski holidays
Wow - just caught up with this thread - what a great story!
At the end of the day it is 'stories' that make it into the news and provide less popular sports with the kind of visibility in the mainstream media that gets manufacturers/promoters excited and putting more money into the sport.
Good luck snow leopard - life is about getting out there and achieving something, be it personal or public - what a great example of following a dream!
(This is a feel good thread - because its the first thing that has lifted the black mood I woke up with!!!!) snowHead
snow conditions
hello all snowheads

have had an evil strain of flu which is making its rounds through meribel. conditions have not been ideal for race training with snow dumping out of the skies.

hope it stops tommorrow. will be back attacking the slopes. i have been instructed to ski as much as i can as i need to have more free skiing under my belt. pg still hoping to meet and ski with you.

dan tell nathan i say hi

catch all you snow junkies later Laughing
snow report
the team is having a website developed

check it out ghanaskiteam.com
snow conditions
Hi, snowleopard, I just got back from 9 days off-piste in the Alps (latterly mostly among the trees due to the avalanche danger) so only just saw you had joined us.
A belated welcome to Snowheads!

I hope you will not see any pauses in this thread as lack of interest. It could be argued it should be in the Piste section, since many snowheads only look occasionally at the News section, but here it will not get buried so quickly by new threads.
Please keep coming back and let us know how things are Go-Go-Going!

(I see that www.ghanaskiteam.com is just some e-mail addresses so far, but personal contact is, in any case, much more engaging.)
latest report
PG wrote:
If having first seen a proper piste aged 30 he does the downhill in a year's time, lands jumps at 80 mph after 100 feet plus airborne, and gets to the bottom in one piece in anything under 3 minutes, I hereby promise to eat my beret.
I reckon you'll have to eat your hat: 3 minutes isn't that hard, I did 3min 20sec without ever having done any race training and with other skiers on the course, when I tried going down the day after a Val d'Isere race about 17 years ago. And I don't claim to be a real speed merchant.
Now 2 1/2min (1/2 minute more than the leaders): that's a proper challenge.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy