Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milton Keynes skier seeks gold for Ghana at 2006 Winter Olympics

Poster: A snowHead
Come on you two! Take a coffee break . . . and a single malt . . . and chill . . . D G Orf will be here in a minute to sit on you.

Make a change from me . . . wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

David Goldsmith, is this an attempt to bore anyone reading this thread to death?

No, the wedding's on Saturday!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

is this an attempt to bore anyone reading this thread to death?

If it is, it's not working. We all love a good arguement Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque,
Quote:
and a single malt
Now you've done it, putting ideas into my head like that... is the sun over the yard arm?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, asif you'd give a poop!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only just read this thread - fascinating stuff. Snowlepoard, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I think Kwame's efforts are impressive (saw the C4 coverage), but have to agree with PG that actually getting down to the 140 FIS points looks unlikely.

As a slight diversion we often have the 2 man Moroccon team training here. Both winter and summer. I don't know what their FIS points are, they're nice skiers, but not better than most of the instructors on the hill. I'm afraid to say that (apart from the ex WC/EC racers) any instructor trying to ski a WC course would look like a total beginner!

That said: Kwame, more power to your elbow, GOOD LUCK, and keep it up - you clearly deserve to get there. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have just seen this thread...Kwame - you are a star.

I have been skiing for years, I think I am pretty good, done some gate training etc.
BUT
No way on earth could I get to the standard you have reached already. Keep at it, I have a feeing that you will do it.

One of the Morrocan guys only started skiing about 4 years ago. He used to learn/train in Flaine with an old-time racer called Giles.
I skied with hime after he had only been skiing for four months....he was very very fast already (by ordinary human standards).

You can do it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hope Kwame wasn't injured at the end of the season. He was entered for a number of races during April, but they are all marked "DNS" (Did Not Start"....)

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&competitorid=110219&type=result
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lack of funds to travel to Norway Sweden and Andorra might have been the reason ??? The team web site hasn't been updated since February. Unless snowleopard shows up again here, we may never know ........
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The race tests organised by the French ski school go like this:

Principles of the Chamois and Fleche tests
One or several instructors who have been accredited as openers by the “Syndicat National des Moniteurs du Ski Français” open each test.
Each opener has a handicap calculated in comparison to that of the members of the French Team who are used as a benchmark with a handicap of “0”. The handicap obtained by each competitor is calculated by dividing his course time by the opening time used for the test.
It is exactly the same amount, expressed as a percentage, between the competitor’s time and the opening time. The handicap is given in SKIOPEN points.

Example of the Calculation:
During a “Flèche” test, a skier “Peter” manages a time of 57”40/100 and the opener “John”, who has a handicap of 8 manages a time of 45”.

Base Time (representing the handicap 0)
45'' / 1,08 = 41''66

Calculation of the competitor’s handicap:
(57''40 x 100 / 41''66) - 100 = 37,78 points SKIOPEN = Flèche d'argent
 FLECHE "TIMED GIANT SLALOM"
25 to 35 gates with a vertical drop of 200-250m

All of the contestants ski down the same course and depending on the number of SKIOPEN points obtained, they are awarded:

00,00 and 17 points   FLECHE D'OR
17,01 and 30 points   FLECHE DE VERMEIL
30,01 and 45 points   FLECHE D'ARGENT
45,01 and 60 points   FLECHE DE BRONZE
60,01 and 65 points   FLECHETTE

CHAMOIS "TIMED SPECIAL SLALOM"
30 to 40 gates and a vertical drop of 120-200m

All of the contestants ski down the same course and depending on the number of SKIOPEN points obtained, they are awarded:
00,00 and 17 points   CHAMOIS D'OR
17,01 and 35 points   CHAMOIS DE VERMEIL
35,01 and 55 points   CHAMOIS D'ARGENT
55,01 and 75 points   CHAMOIS DE BRONZE
75,01 and 80 points   CABRI

In other words if you skied 17% slower than the hypothetical World Cup skier you get 17 points.

Where would Snowleopard come on this kind of test result?
(To get the race section Ski Club of GB "Gold" test you need to achieve Vermeil standard.)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As far as I know Kwame has done very little slalom training, so would struggle in the Chamois test.

O FIS (World Cup leader) isn't the same as 0 points (French team member) in these tests, so bearing that in mind, the shorter course, I would guess from seeing him ski the once and his better results last season he would be somewhere between Silver and Vermeil Flèche, depending on conditions, start number and 'form' of the forerunner on the day.

(I wonder if he made it to the southern hemisphere for summer training....)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Ghana Ski Team web site hasn't been updated since he went to Iran. Looks a little like his efforts may have ground to a halt ...... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I chatted to him it was clear his biggest concern was funding - he had no problem with self-belief, motivation, equipment and training facilities, but getting from race to race, even within France, was not easy, often very last minute because of the lack of money.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello Amigos

the leopard is back. What have I been up to? Well I have been spending some time with my family and trying to solve the age old problem of funding. I currently have had some support the Ghana Ski Team t-shirts produced, soon to be advertised on our website. Also I am getting together one of this years big winter raffles with prizes ranging from flights to goggles.

I have put myself through some serious training and I have had to go back to the basics of skiing. I want to get more slalom skiing under my belt which will only go to helping improve my GS skiing. I have been able to secure some funding to go to south america. I have had faith in God and he has seen me through every tough time. 140 points seems far fetched to most people, nut for me I trust in God to give me the points. I believe going out this summer to race, the leopard is more tunned, ready to pounce and keen to race. Just 135 more points to go and I want it badly. I now have some body armour so we will start seeing better time as I get closer to the gates.

I read this stuff from you guys which makes me proud. You are objective, criticise where necessary and give support which I always need. Keep it up as it gives me the power to carry on.

From the depth of my heart, thank you guys.

Kwame Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys guys I have not given up, will not give up. I have sacrificed too much to let small things stop me. The website is due for a big update and that will happen in about 2 weeks from now.

I owe you guys 135 qualifying points, and a new winter olympics. I think racing in the olympics will make it more interesting, so I am going to make it. Pray for me to go faster and faster.

Hope to keep on giving you guys info, till our website is updated.

The leopard.
snow conditions

Stay on the prowl, Kwame!
snow report
Quote:
Last week easyJet announced its sponsorship of Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong and The Ghana Ski Team. The team will represent Ghana for the first time ever in next year's Ski World Cup (FIS) and proceed to the Winter Olympics in Turin - one of our latest Ski destinations.
snow report
snowleopard, best of luck as asual snowHead
ski holidays
Hello guys

Currently I have been set the task of not only qualifying for the winter olympics, but also to make it into the world cup. Tough job but will put my head down and work hard.

Thanks for the support marc gledhill and Goldsmith [nice pic] forgot to add the skis

catch you later

Cool
ski holidays
Just seen snowleopard, interviewed for BBC South Today at MK on the launch of his sponsorship with Easyjet. He got to run some poles for the interview. Looking good. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi snowbunny, thanks for the complement I hope to transfer the hard work I have put in into fast slalom times. I definately have the technique now, but will need to find out how I compare to racers on real pistes.

Glad the BBC programme allowed me to run the poles, as its obviously had a good effect on viewers.

See Ya. Smile
ski holidays
Chatted with Kwame last week - he's just left for South America - and there are details of an interview with his coach Dave Jacobs in this article. Dave is still stuck in the UK, not enough funds to accompany his trainee as things stand... Sad
snow report
Whatever else snowleopard achieves, you've got to admit that he is out there, living the dream, whilst we're sitting here typing about it. Very Happy
ski holidays
Definitely, and whatever doubts I have about the reasons why some sponsors may have jumped on the bandwaggon, Kwame himself is genuine enough. You realise that after just a few seconds of talking to him.

He's already looking to the future, trying to organise something for the few young Ghanaians that he's managed to get on to skis. I should have some photos soon. May well see him in Bourg this autumn, when he gets back from South America. He's hoping to train on the glacier at Tignes then, could base himself in BSM.
snow conditions
Miixed fortunes in Kwame's first races of the summer season, in Las Lenas Argentina...

Kwame's first race on Tuesday was in an event in which he's made significant progress, the slalom. Although finishing well down the field, he managed creditable times in both runs and ended up with an excellent 229.99 FIS points.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&competitorid=110219&raceid=36010

On to Wednesday and the Giant Slalom, his main target for next year's Olympic Games. A bad crash in his first run meant that despite picking himself up and carrying on, his second run was never going to compensate and he ended up with a disappointing 402.81 FIS points. Had he not fallen, and managed a similar time to his first run, he might have expected to end up with around 250 points in the race, some 25 points better than his current standing. Still some way to get to that elusive target of 140 points for Olympic qualifying, but he's edging closer.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&competitorid=110219&raceid=36008

Today saw the speed event, the Super G, his first at FIS level. Problems again during the race left him back in last place, picking up his worst points total of the series, 553.15 FIS pts.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&competitorid=110219&raceid=36012
latest report
hello pg

just got the notification that you were giving the guys info. just finished the last race for this trip. the gs today was not too bad, got through 2 good runs. the super g was an experience i will never forget and i will definately be doing super gs now, depending on where they are held.

i am a little bit dissapointed that i did not do well in the gs instead of slalom, as i really want to be good at gs.

i will check my results for today
and see what i was able to do. once i get over the falling bit in the first run, i will start moving forward.

i will be seeing you soon

thanks for all the support

will have to order my official snowheads beanie soon, and pick it up when i come to france

snowheads rock

catch you guys later, getting cold in the room got to go and switch on the heater
snow report
snowleopard, sounds like you're making progress!

snowHeads beanies are much like the old T-Ford - one size fits all, and they are all black. So if you let me know where you'd like me to send one, we'll get it sorted out under the discretionary "racing snowHeads get a free hat" rule.
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
snowleopardwe'll get it sorted out under the discretionary "racing snowHeads get a free hat" rule.

That's a nice rule Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, unfortunately it only covers snowHeads actively seeking FIS points on the international circuit and not those people mearly engaged in local events wink
snow report
D G Orf, honestly gov, I wasn't seeking a free hat (not that I would be eligible as I don't even get involved in any local activity never mind collecting FIS points!). I think it would be a nice gesture to give Kwame a free hat.
latest report
snowleopard, am I right in thinking that should individual snowHeads wish to give you financial support they should visit your website at www.ghanaskiteam.com and follow the sponsorship link there?

D G Orf, rob@rar.org.uk I see you missed the "discretionary" part of the rule wink
ski holidays
hello Ian

for all financial support i encourage people wishing to help to direct everything to my manager dave jacobs. he is registered as a snowhead under the name bigwavedave. PG is in contact with him, and his email is davejacobs1967@aol.com.

thanks in advance for your support. i am making progress all right but not at the pace i want. i have been told it is a slow process of gaining the experience so i am trying to be patient.

about the beanie when i get back to the UK and find out what Dave has planned for the rest of the season {if i am flying out to France immediately or i have a few days break} i will let you know where to send it. i will also wish to send you some pictures of some new snowleopard t-shirts etc, justv in case some other snowheads are interested in helping me out by purchasing a t-shirt, cap or winter hoodie {if its okay with you}, as i am trying my best to support myself.

i had 2 super g results but the other which is better than the 500 and so points has not been posted. south america has been a good training and racing camp and it has definately conditioned me for races in Europe and the begining of my speed event racing.

it has been a blessing to me to have snowheads behind me. i like the honesty of the guys who write on the forum, keep it up guys.

well the leopard is in Mendosa at the moment and will be flying to Santiago tommorrow, then on to the UK via Madrid.

catch you later Razz
latest report
Kwame is being interviewed on five live right now if you can get access.

Update 3 minutes later. All over.

Good to hear you on the radio Kwame - hope you achieve the success that you are seeking.
ski holidays
just finished the interview and got back home to find a new posting. i have some stats on my trip to south america below

SLALOM
My first race was a slalom. i scored 229.99 points previous season lowest score 380.49 points. i have now brought my best score into the two hundred mark. average of both scores is
305.24. thus for this new season my lowest score of 229.99 will be added to the lowest score i make out in races in Europe. The work put in at the Xscape ski dome is paying of as last year i did not get into the 200s. i did only 1 slalom in south america. i also scored my first south american cup points [i believe about 10 in all].
the above points have brought down my actual FIS points by [75.93 points]

GIANT SLALOM
first GS was a bad one as i fell in the last half of the race. though i fell i got up hiked up and carried on to finish the race in order to get a second run. points scored 402.81. second giant slalom race points scored 280.44. lowest giant slalom point from last year 230.33. average of 2 lowest scores is 255.38
giant slalom points have thus been reduced by [20.61]

SUPER GIANT SLALOM SG
i had the opportnity of doing my first 2 super gs, though i had never trained for super g, the Austrian coach who I was with felt it would be a good experience for me. in the first race i scored 553.15 points. in the second race which was run the same day i scored 380.46 points. average of both points is 466.80.

i have put in some good physical training and slalom work over the summer. i definately am a better racer than when i began. i look forward to bringing down my points below the qualifying marks of 140 for both GS and SLALOM, and will definatley add the SUPER G [120 point cut off] to my timetable for this winter season. Dave will be coming out with my race timetable for the coming winter season, to be forwarded to you soon. using my current lowest scores as a benchmark, i aim to work hard to reduce the points before january the 16, which is the qualifying deadline for the olympics. as usual i will be counting on your support to make the vision of being in the olympics come to pass. thank you for all your support. snowHead
snow report
Hi Kwame, good to see the motivation is still there!
ski holidays
always pg, never say die

tough little cat here
snow report
hope the stats help snowheads keeping an eye on me wink
snow report
snowleopard, let me know about October/November asap, the offer's still open.
snow report
will definately be taking up the offer, just waiting on dave to confirm race programme.

will get back to you ASAP
thanks
snow conditions
snowleopard, well impressed. stay sharp, stay focussed, and i believe you can do it. ... focus is something that you can always improve.

Where the mind leads the body will follow. good luck
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy