Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI ADC L1 course at Milton Keynes: lift pass not included

Poster: A snowHead
I was hoping to do BASI's new Alpine Development Coach L1 course at Milton Keynes next month. When I called to book my place I was told that the cost of slope access at Milton Keynes was not included in BASI's course fee. I've now been told that XScape wouldn't give BASI a discounted rate for slope access for the three days of the course, and the charge will be £55 per day. That completely negates any cost savings that I hoped to make by doing this part of the ADC qualification in the UK. Time for a re-think of plans...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This course is also being run at Chill Factore this summer, who are charging £20 per day. Still expensive, but a more reasonable rate than XScape's.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, sure there will be plenty of courses in the alps....why don't BASI use Landgraaf www.snowworld.com much cheaper and 520m long Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, yes, the L1 and L2 are being run at Hintertux. If I'm going to spend that much money on a lift pass I would prefer it to be on a mountain with a sensible amount of terrain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Don't forget the Parking charges too. Evil or Very Mad
Kitty did the L1 conversion there, advertised by BASI for £35 so she booked it. Then she finds out it's plus £55 for Xscape, plus Parking. Not so cheap after all.
I was going to do it next month also. £270 fair enough, but £435 Shocked forget it.
I'll wait till Hemel re-opens and pay just the course fee. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, the parking charge I could live with, but the slope time is just too expensive for me I'm afraid. I also might well wait for Hemel...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Better to spend three days outside anyway snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski wrote:
rob@rar, Better to spend three days outside anyway snowHead

Yes, absolutely (I assume you mean on snow, not plastic Wink). I was just hoping to save a bit of time and a bit of cash.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I was also thinking about doing this in August...but not at £435 Evil or Very Mad . May have to think about Hintertux instead.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would think hard about doing any course that will require performance skiing on a glacier in August or September. I helped coach a race training trip to Hintertux at the end of May and it was already getting too warm. We were discussing whether it would be better to go to the Netherlands instead in future.

We raced at MK two weeks ago, they were able to provide a day pass for the parking for £1. It won't reduce the costs by much but it would be worth asking if it is available.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tamworth don't seem to charge extra for lift passes on courses there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy wrote:

Neither did Hemel. I doubt whether BASI courses will be run at MK once Hemel is open anyway, just short term profiteering on MK's part at Instructors expense.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy wrote:

They did last november when I did my refresher. ISTR £35.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think BASI have tried to change the course price so it includes cost of lift pass. When i last did one about 2.5 years ago the course cost was £10 but lift pass on top. Now it seems to be as much as £85, but includes lift pass.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's interesting that Warren Smith can manage to get a good discount off the Xscape charges for his courses but BASI can't.
ski holidays
rob@rar, that really sucks that the slope time isnt included or at least a discount granted for three days use.

I am sure the L1 Instructor course fee of £395 includes 5 days of slope time and parking at MK...I will have a word tonight....
snow report
rjs, l was at MK on mon. and parking was £2.75 for 10 hours if l'd wanted it. The purple Zone. Avoid Red Zone.
ski holidays
clare mcbride, The £1 pass was for the red zone next to the slope entrance.
latest report
rjs, Sorry, l misread what you said, £1 for the red zone is excellent
ski holidays
rob@rar, dont give up on it just yet, i spoke to RG tonight and he said he would get onto BASI to see about better slope time prices.
latest report
skimottaret, well done, I'm interested.
snow report
Spyderman, not putting words in his mouth but he was pretty ehr umm shocked that it was 55 a day plus parking expecially when i said the L1 instructor courses there are inclusive of slope and parking. Hopefully BASI can either put some pressure on MK to offer some better prices for full day/ course type lift tickets..
snow report
skimottaret, I'm sure there would be more uptake on the course if the Lift Ticket was more reasonable. MK have the choice, empty course at £55 a day, or full one at a reasonable cost.
snow conditions
Would someone tell me please and perhaps summarise what Alpine Development Coach Level 1 covers as I've had a look on the BASI website and there is no course notes, just dates of the courses. Also presumably it is a course to take once a candidate is Alpine L2 or above as it is one of the ISIA modules to take for ISIA?

Why have BASI got dates for the course on the website but not what it is? Puzzled

edited as typed fot instead of got. Laughing
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Try the brochure that skimottaret posted a few days ago.
snow conditions
rjs, ooh thanks just the job, hadn't seen that thanks.
ski holidays
Looks good, I think I will do the Level 1 ADC too especially as it is a requirement for ISIA anyway and a handy course to have done. Useful knowledge to have for your own ski performance too. Good to see that you don't have to be Level 2 Alpine already, Associate Member is sufficient. Good oh. Very Happy
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, dont give up on it just yet, i spoke to RG tonight and he said he would get onto BASI to see about better slope time prices.

Thanks. Fingers crossed that MK take a more sensible view about this. It's not as if they are going to be turning away full-paying customers in the middle of July because their slope is taken over by cheapskate ski instructors!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know if this potentially makes any difference to anyone booking on the course, but...

I've just tried to book slope time with Milton Keynes and been told by a nice chap called Barry that I don't need to pay as it's a BASI course - "the course is already expensive enough". Which seems incredibly reasonable of them.

I can't guarantee that anything, but Barry was supervising a trainee (who I initially spoke to) - so that improves my confidence that they're not going to kick me off the slope for not paying!

I've related this to BASI Head Office who are going to check with Milton Keynes and confirm.

BTW - the course is confirmed, even though it's not shown as such on the BASI web site.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, you have 9 on this one apparently alhtough meant to be limited to 8 and there is a freestyle event on over the weekend which will make it a bit cramped..... No need to worry about the 17M radius rule as well..
snow report
Thanks skimottaret.
snow report
Well, on our course this last weekend we were just given passes for free at first, then later told that the £55 charge applied.... but that covered all three days. We had been notified by BASI beforehand that it would be £55 per day, and so the course would be restructured to have one full day in the classroom and only need two days on snow. In the event though, as it looked like we had a three-day pass, we reverted to the expected structure - which I think both we and the trainer were quite glad about. I tried getting the SCGB discount off of the £55, but was told it couldn't be allowed as the cost was something that went straight to BASI rather than was kept by SnoZone. Clearly untrue, but the cost was confirmed after much hunting for the boss-man of the day. So confusion clearly abounds - but I felt <£20 was pretty fair for about 5 hours skiing each day ( and we were all on <13m SL skis Wink ).

Looks like they're popular courses. Both MK courses were full (10), I see the Braehead one is already full, and only 4 places left at Chill Factore.
snow report
GrahamN, did you get anything good out of the course with the amount of racing you have done or did it just cover old ground for you?
ski holidays
skimottaret, the course seemed to have two main themes - a) personal performance improvement and b) structuring and delivering a training session, and a thought-provoking session on ethical considerations. Both parts were very useful, and I felt I made some progress on both, despite it being feeling very condensed. Twice the amount of time would have been nice for really getting to grips with what we were trying out - but that really ties in with the CSCF concept of a trained/certified differentiation - we now know what we should be doing, and just need practice to drive it home. At this level there was nothing in gates, so the racing experience wasn't actually too relevant, other than for context and mindset. I'll write up in a bit more detail when I have more time.

BTW - I passed, and so did slikedges Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Twice the amount of time would have been nice for really getting to grips with what we were trying out

onto L2 then in Tux wink

well done! and dont hold your breath for your CSCF cert, i did mine in March and still havent heard anything from Canada about the Eprep test.
snow conditions
GrahamN, good skiing with you wink
latest report
GrahamN, slikedges, Well done guys. Very Happy
latest report
Well done!
ski holidays
yep - well done Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy