Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New French traffic law fro 01 July 2008

Poster: A snowHead
From 1 July 2008 it will also be obligatory to carry in all vehicles a warning triangle and reflective jacket for use in case of a breakdown. Anyone found to not be complying with this requirement could be subject to a fine of 90 euros.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/europe/france?ta=safetySecurity&pg=2
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, ... Well spotted ... although your link is a general one to travel to France ... Is there specific detail to this - I always carry a reflective bib - does this qualify under the Act .... Puzzled ... because they always try to trick me ... Laughing and I don't want to upset them ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, thanks for the info. Wonder if the rental companies at Geneva will include a warning triangle and hi-vis vest as standard kit?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

to not be complying

Dear me.

This is just one of many fantastic free gifts which you can claim by cashing in thousands of your Marche U loyalty points. Pity they're out of stock. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought a warning triangle had been compulsory for some time?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
I thought a warning triangle had been compulsory for some time?
so did I. HI-vis vest is in the car anyway, as we sometimes go to Turin,or even just to Claviere and they are already compulsory in Italy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
boredsurfin, thanks for the info. Wonder if the rental companies at Geneva will include a warning triangle and hi-vis vest as standard kit?

Have always had a warning triangle in the car when we've hired.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Have always had a warning triangle in the car when we've hired.

Mostly the same for me, but not always. Never had a hi-vis vest, although these could be purchased at the rental desk.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought that the hi-vis vest had been compulsory for a while too. There were posters up on the autoroutes at the beginning of last season telling you to carry them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think in France they were advisable (as they are here) but not compulsory - in Spain apparently it's compulsory to have one for every occupant of the car. I read it on Snowheads, so it must be true. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Travelling across Europe I think you need to have/do for various countries; triangles, spare bulb set, beam deflector, high vis jackets, snow chains, winter tyres, spare driving glasses, remove radar detectors, remove GPS with Speed Camera capability, various license restrictions, etc etc. Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC,
Quote:

boredsurfin, ... Well spotted ... although your link is a general one to travel to France ... Is there specific detail to this - I always carry a reflective bib

Sorry the FO website isn't very friendly, if you scroll down several times the detail is under the heading of Road Travel. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can someone please tell the idiots at Dover ferry port not to keep putting leaflets on my German registered car telling me what I need to buy for driving on the continent!!!

After getting caught out in Austria in January when main headlight blew up, I definitely recommend spare set of bulbs *and* enough tools to be able to change them! Lost half a morning ski time on Sunday trying to find a friendly garage that had a screwdriver, to get the bulb out, to find which type it was, and then go find one in store room (was not in the packs in shop).

Would be handy if all EU (and Switzerland etc.) made the compulsory accessories consistent across all territories. In any case, I usually have most bits mainly cos I drive thru numerous countries, but I have no clue as to what is compulsory where (other than jacket in Italy/Austria, triangle in Germany, driving/headlights in Austria).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

remove GPS with Speed Camera capability,

Does anyone know if this is urban myth or truth from a reputable source? I have seen this widely quoted before but equally I have seen a 'quote' from some French Official that it is not true and offical radar zones are marked on maps anyway.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, .... found it .. ! Merci .... Very Happy
latest report
T Bar, It is in Switzerland, there was a long thread on it last year.
snow report
Colin B,
Thanks, Missed it.
snow conditions
The spare bulbs always makes me laugh - yes I carry them - but from past experience should the headlights fail a trip to VW dealer is required for them to remove half the engine to get at it!

I've got an AA map of France with camera locations printed in it - wonder whether that's legal?
snow conditions
Your map is legal but the cunning folk in France move the cameras around!!
snow report
boredsurfin, doesn't bother me as I don't speed

Seriously - in a VW Sharan with roofbox 80 is plenty fast enough
snow report
Boris, well mines a Seat, which is presumably similar to VW, and it certainly requires screwdriver to remove lots of bits of plastic to access back of light housing, then snake like dexterity to access the bulb. Took me 3 lunchtimes at works and a surf on Seat Cupra forum to work out how to change indicator bulb. Fortunately the service station in Innsbruck had a willing repair guy on shift on a Sunday morning who helped me change the main headlamp bulb and supplied screwdrivers for free.

See your point though. Law may state you need to carry spare bulbs, but it's pointless if you don't also carry the necessary tools, and know how to change them!
snow report
I'm wondering if the requirement is for one reflective vest to be in the car or if there should be enough all possible occupants of the car.
snow conditions
Austria

Dont forget every passenger travelling in a car must have a reflective jacket & must be put on before you exit the car.
snow report
stanton, thanks but I'm thinking France here Smile . Also IIRC somewhere requires one for each possible passenger (in my case 5) rather than just 2 for the passengers the car would actually have.
snow conditions
peura, I can't find a link at the mo but it is one vest per vehicle, The AA say on thier website that they are waiting for clarification.
snow conditions
I understand that radar detector things are illegal in France and entitle the police to confiscate your car - especially if they get any old lip.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

remove GPS with Speed Camera capability,

Does anyone know if this is urban myth or truth from a reputable source? I have seen this widely quoted before but equally I have seen a 'quote' from some French Official that it is not true and offical radar zones are marked on maps anyway.

In France, Avertisseur are legal, Detecteur are not. So, Tom Tom's etc with camera locations from a database are lawful. Radar detectors like Road Angel which detect police roadside radar traps by picking up the signal are illegal. In the car I carry a French language translation (with pictures) of the different types and which quotes the law* (for France). The legislation in Switzerland is different.
*Unless the law has changed this year.
latest report
boredsurfin, cheers. Personally I'm not too concerned since I now store 5 in the car (just in case Little Angel ) but I thought it good to clarify what the French law has changed to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I checked radar detectors were illegal in France but gps with camera locations were not in the same way you can download routes from Michelin that show fixed camera locations.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy