Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Press ups - am I the only one that can't do even one?

Poster: A snowHead
Please no laughing (I'm aware of the possible innuendo) - I'm deadly serious.

Is a press-up something easy to do - I can't even do a girls one properly resting on my knees with my ankles crossed. Is it all down to a lack of strength or a lack of technique - is it because my method is not correct or just because my arms aren't up to it?

Can anyone else not do one?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, keep practicing and you will soon build up the required muscle groups. Press ups are very good for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not very good at them, not enough core strength still (I sag in the middle) but I can do loads of sit ups, wierd eh Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This time last year I could do 40 with someone watching that they were being done properly to a timed bleep (and then the PTI told us to stop). Don't think I could do that many now mind... Embarassed

Not being someone who knows much about physiology I can't comment on why you can't do them. It is likely a strength issue (I could only manage a couple of naff ones at one stage), so a bit of practice as FtS says and the muscles will realise what your trying to do and you'll improve very quickly. I love press ups, you can just get down and do them in a bit of open space, no equipment, nothing - just you and gravity.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would personally say press ups are more of a strength matter rather than a technique matter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is strength definitely rather than technique.

While we're on the subject of press ups, my Dad is 63 in December and has been doing 40 push ups and 40 sit ups every day since he was 13. On Sunday I saw him with my own eyes do one armed push ups! I thought that was very impressive for anyone, never mind a man in his 60's. I expect a man in his 30's could do that pretty easily, I've seen friends doing it before now but thought that was pretty good for Dad. Very Happy

The more you do of them the easier they get because you build the strength up in the required muscle groups. A good test is to see how many press ups you can do in one minute and see how the number changes as time goes on. I'm not so good at them now as have only just got back into going to the gym but could do 30 in one minute this time last year (traditional ones, not girl's ones). I can just about do one one armed one but they are truly difficult! Shocked

Megamum be careful not to cause yourself a mischief trying to do them. Easily done! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, Do them against a wall until you get strong enough to do girly ones... also remember you can make it easier by raising your hands (ie put them on a step)...

Just start easy and work up....

I find that they are easier when I do them regularly and also easier when I'm a pit less podgy Embarassed - just less lard to move with the arm muscles I have...

When I was a gym junky I could do real ones in time to aerobics music.... Shocked I remember someone doing an assessment when I was trying to come back from the chronic fatigue mess... I had done no exercise for 5 years or so - except deep water aquarobics. The guy was quite surprised how many I could pump out in a minute still.... (for an old fat female Wink )

Once you do them the strength improves and you won't find them hard
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
once you've got the girly ones sorted, try a few "easier" proper ones - with legs spread wide apart and hands well outside line with shoulders. Press ups can be weird - I've seen monster pro rugby players struggling, so don't worry too much about it, there are plenty of alternatives to do
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Do them against a wall until you get strong enough

I can't work out what you mean by that... against a wall?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think a lot of women have difficulty with press-ups.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, if you struggle with full press ups start against a wall and slowly work towards getting parallel to the floor. next stage could be doing them with hands on the edge of a sofa for instance. important thing is to keep the back straight. Also, try some easy ones with elbows close in to the body...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its strength thing you are just going to have to start slow and build up. I used to have to do alot of them in the army coupled with the leaning rest as outlined below might help you to build up the strength. It is not as the name suggest a position of rest but rather a uniqe form of torture devised to break good men/women. Normally after taking up the position the Seargant would ask you nicley if you would like to do push ups Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

You have to keep four points of contact with the ground - the palm of each hand and the toe of each shoe/boot. Your body should form a generally straight line from your shoulders to your ankles. Your feet should be no more than shoulder-width apart. Your arms should be locked. Your head should be up, eyes looking straight ahead.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jonm,

You stand away from wall like a push-up that has been tilted over in one of those film special effects(think Fred Astaire dancing on walls)...

Read the GI Diet book by Jenny Brand Miller ... they had someone write exercises for those likely to need Low GI - ie at risk of diabetes or diabetes... So they are designed for those not of gym junky states.... They start with wall push-ups...

Alternately check out Lisa Westlake's "Strong to the Core" She uses a fitball - but idea is similar.... start standing up with wall if you need to.... as you get stronger go to floor but make them easy - ie lift hands so less weight on arms... If you need harder than normal stick feet on a fitball....

(Note Lisa is an aussie physio... this idea has been used for a long time here... I am surprised it seems uncommon)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret,

Hurrah... someone gets it Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, no, you're not the only one - I can't do any of any description, even at British Military Fitness Embarassed
ski holidays
Ordhan, another good one for activating the core apart from the leaning rest you described is the "plank". Laughing

I found it in a ski exercises book. You again have 4 points of contact with the ground, your palms of your hands (but with your forearms flat on the ground, upper arms at right angles to the ground) being 2 points and then with both feet balancing on toes on the floor being the other two points. Then you hold it there as long as you can with your back straight so your back looks like a "plank" of wood as it were.

It's hard but a good one for developing the inner core muscles. So I'm told. I'm no expert. I should think it's not a good exercise for those with a weak lower back though.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, I think that one's in Wii Fit.
snow report
Found this video of the plank .....
http://www.revver.com/video/689184/ab-exercises-the-plank/

In boxing training we do press ups with a clap inbetween each rep and press ups with one person holding the other persons feet off the floor.
latest report
Quote:
I think a lot of women have difficulty with press-ups.

I think that's because a lot of women, including me, aren't very strong in the upper body. I used to be able to do proper ones, but not many these days - and even just shifting furniture and things, I am becoming very weak. I need to do more, but I find press ups (and pull ups) difficult because of arthritic hands - those exercises put a lot of strain on them. I think I'll do that "plank" one, because it puts the weight on the forearms. No excuses, then....

I'm OK with sit ups. All the exercise classes to sit ups, but not many do press ups.
snow report
I'm glad its not just me - I shall persevere with them I think - maybe try some of these wall ones. Sit-ups I'm doing - 30 each morning, but I wanted something for the arms too. The daft thing is that I wouldn't have thought my arms weren't strong - I've milked goats night and morning for the last 15+ years and you would think all that squeezing action would have done some good rolling eyes
snow conditions
Megamum, 10 years of doing them in the military regulary!!! " You are 10 seconds outside your target time for tonights march drop and do Push ups" " Hooah Sir How Many" "Till you die from doing them"
latest report
DB, ah thank you.

I wonder what the lady said when she flopped back down again? I think it might have been something along the lines of "Aah thank God for that!"

Even a minute doing it is flipping hard. The most I've managed is 2 minutes I think.... Laughing
snow conditions
DB wrote:
In boxing training we do press ups with a clap inbetween each rep

Those are fun.

Quote:

and press ups with one person holding the other persons feet off the floor.

Taekwondo we did them on fingertips, one foot on top the other.

VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Even a minute doing it is flipping hard. The most I've managed is 2 minutes I think.... :lol:

At 90 seconds the lactic acid bath is fully drawn and it becomes pointless. Split it up into multiple 70 second sets.
latest report
Quote:

Taekwondo we did them on fingertips, one foot on top the other.

I used to be able to make a cake while breastfeeding a baby and dictating a Ministerial submission Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, That's multi-tasking - the chaps just won't comrehend Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

breastfeeding a baby

Is there an easier version, against a wall maybe?
latest report
Megamum, I wouldn't worry about it. My wife (who is both young and fit) struggles with them too. I'm not much better either, especially if I haven't done them for a while. It seems to involve a specific muscle group that doesn't get used for very much else. For example I do a fair bit of mountain biking which requires strong arms, but it does nothing for my ability to do press-ups. Only actually doing press-ups seems to help.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
For example I do a fair bit of mountain biking which requires strong arms, but it does nothing for my ability to do press-ups. Only actually doing press-ups seems to help.

The problem with -not- doing them is that one winds up with a physique like long-time rock climbers, hunched over with disproportionate shoulder and wing development and nothing but underskin fat up front. So clothing doesn't drape well, and a nicely erect dancer's posture becomes more and more difficult.

Oh, and there's no tricep structure to define those well-exercised biceps either.

BTW, an old set of metal road bike drop bars make a nice pressup stand and extend the range of motion available. Particularly for women. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
pam w, That's multi-tasking - the chaps just won't comrehend :lol:

Not sure that's the right way 'round. The author of

http://www.amazon.com/Distracted-Erosion-Attention-Coming-Dark/dp/1591026237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213822608&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

is certainly female.
latest report
Megamum, I can't do them either. I can push up but when coming down I get to a certain point them fall on my face rolling eyes .

Frankly, I no longer see the point of trying. You want a gorgeous bloke or you want to do a press up? Well, prioritise and go for the bloke. It's less effort and more fun NehNeh .

On your deathbed you don't want to be saying, "Oh, I've had a great life - I got to do a press up rolling eyes ".
snow report
maggi, one has to keep oneself busy while waiting for the gorgeous bloke. There aren't many around, after all!
latest report
maggi, vetski, your prayers have just been answered Blush

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I can't do them either, but I did bike 22 miles yesterday on my new mountain bike. Seriously good fun.
ski holidays
Megamum, I was in a similar boat until a few years ago... couldn't do even a single press up, even from off my knees.

Decided to keep on practising until eventually i could do one off my knees. Over a few years i built this up bit by bit by bit until i can now do about 20 pull press-ups in one go.

If you want to do it, relentless practice will get you there... but you're certainly not the only woman that can't do them, i know plenty!
ski holidays
Megamum, you're not alone. Lots of women can't do press-ups! We did a challenge at the gym where I work last month doing a bench press with an olympic bar (20kg for women - about the same as a press-up off the knees for most women), and many of them couldn't do one. I think the female winner did about 60, and I managed a creditable 35. I can do about 20-25 full press-ups, but don't find them easy and I train quite a lot.

All the suggestions are good - start against a wall, then develop to knees, knees with feet raised and finally full press-ups. Some chest presses should also help you, but this doesn't develop the core muscles as well as full press-ups do.
latest report
Another incompetent here - but then I can't bend my hands back beyond 45° anyway so have to use fists as a support instead of flat hands when I try
snow conditions
here's an idea for you
http://www.hundredpushups.com/
Smile
snow report
eng_ch, try the roadie handlebar idea.
ski holidays
Megamum, You're in good company - I cant do them to save my life rolling eyes I blame it on having grotty shoulders. Perhaps I could if I persevered - I'll try the 'up against a wall ' suggestion
ski holidays
comprex, thought the point of press-ups was the lack of any equipment required? Turns out I can do 15 or so against the wall, but on the whole I think I'll stick to winching sails Wink Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy