Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all....

Has anyone been to Saalbach ??? we are off on saturday and are looking for some advice , Geeod restaurants ( mountain or otherwise), good runs, places to avoid etc...

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wherever you go, whatever you do, you must eat the chicken wings at the Wildkogelalm (please excuse spelling) above Saalbach, they're awsome. With the current good snow all areas/runs are good. If you're a good skier, ski the black no.14 on the piste map off the back of the Zwolfer, its beautiful, but beware, its very icey and steep at the bottom. The temptation to ski it quickly is there because its empty but 2 instructors were killed last year so please be careful.

As I said in a previous thread, if you like cruising and carving on wide well gromed pistes then Saalbach is currently the place to be, in particular the red run down to Leogang. The infrastructure is such that one can plot a really good day by skiing the whole ski circus.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi wendy woo, I'm off to Saalbach on Saturday too! The conditions look brilliant, snow at the weekend followed by sunshine but staying fairly cold.

Ken, since sampling the fantastic chicken at Soll a couple of years ago and missing them in Kitzbuhel last year, I look forward to the same in Saalbach!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Wendywoo,
What standard skier are you?
If your after red/darker blues, then you'll be in heaven. Go up kohlmais and either take 52 down to the village, stopping at Masalm for munchies, or alternatively the old world cup run from the top(red).
The run down Bernkogel is great under the chair lift. On the other side of the valley, take the Gondola up Schattberg and ski down to Vorderglemm and back up the other side in a gondola to Kohlmais again.
At the other end of the valley, Hinterglemm has some great skiing. Go to the top of Reiterkogel (big queues first thing in the morning), ski down the blue to the left ( forgotten the number), stop at Rosswaldhutte for a drinky, and then go up the chair at the bottom up to 1930m. Ski down 25, the steepest blue I've ever been on, branch out onto 27 down to a T bar and then up that. There's a wonderful wide blue down from there - No 32 from memory.
If you are into blacks the one under the Schattberg express is great, but I never made it up to Zwolferkogel, although it looked really good from the other side of the valley.
Hope that helps. If you need any more info, let me know. I've just had my best ever week skiing there in January.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter
Thanks for that ...
I'm intermediate, but some of the group are advanced, and i play catch up ...
It's good to hear so many positive reports about this place. We are actually stayong in Hinterglemm at the Sonnalp, is it a bit of a mission getting between the two resorts?

Any good places to eat...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hayley t

Well we may see you there.... we'll be the group at the bar!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Getting between the two reorts is easy. There's a ski bus that runs from 9 till 5 ish every day which is free with your lift pass. Gets a bit busy though. You'll be ok travelling from Hinterglemm, as you'll be one of the first on. The bus drove past a couple of stops nearer Saalbach when it was full. The journey only takes 5 or so minutes, and taxis are also readily available if you want some apres in Saalbach before going back to your hotel. Cost was about 10 Euros. Try Bobby's, Castillo or Bauer's ski alm for a drink straight from the slopes at that end of the valley - they're all really lively and not too expensive - a large beer is about 4 euros.
I didn't eat out a night as the hotel was quite good for food. The owner would probably have gone bonkers - she was a little unstable at times!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By the way, I did the tobogganning from Spielberghaus. I didn't rate it! sure, it was great to ride up on a piste basher, but the tobogganning was rubbish. It was so flat in places that you had to get off and walk for 50 to 100 yards before the slope started again. It cost about 20 Euros each as well - not good value for one drink and a walk/ sledge in the dark!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-10-04 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Somewhere round there did/does sledging in rafts or inner tubes down a constructed run (went from Zell am Zee, just round the corner). Highly recommended if it's still done.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As an aside, I was told that Saalbach will within 5 years be linked with Zell am See. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hayley t, andits_wendywoo,
Hope you both have a superb week. It looks as though you'll be getting loads more of the white stuff all week. Enjoy!!!
22 days till I go to Courchevel!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Peter. When I looked at the forecast yesterday there were a few sunny days next week but now it looks like snow for the week. Oh well, better than too little. The ironic thing is that I woke up to an inch of snow this morning and was gutted! I'm really looking forward to it and thanks for all your tips.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Peter

I'm back in the real world now after a brilliant week in Saalbach despite being struck down with gastric flu! I, along with 2 others missed 2 days skiing but fortunately caught the best days of the week on the last two days and still managed to ski pretty much the whole area, save a black run or two. I was gutted as conditions were excellent and it remained fairly cold up until the last day. The last two days were the best skiing days I've had. Glorious blue skies, perfect snow and awesome views down the valley from Hinterglemm. I also preferred the skiing at that end of the valley and we took your advice and started with the long blue run (2b) on the first day. You mentioned the gradient of some of the runs and one in Hinterglemm (26?) is actually a black at the top part and becomes a blue. Its not that clearly marked so it may explain why your partner was a bit scared at the top! We also skied the World cup black run (15?) and that was a real thigh burner and really steep. I ran out of energy at the end of day 5 (still recovering) but my husband and friend skied the home run under the schattberg and it really exhausted them at the end of the day. I preferred the red runs overall as they were less crowded and held their snow better. There were hardly any lift queues the whole week and I was impressed with the lift system. It was good enough that we could ski up one side of the valley and back in a day to avoid the bus etc.

I went to Intersport for skis and was really impressed. We got VIP Fischer skis, really good carvers which held well on ice and powder and gave me the confidence to ski anything. I was tempted to buy a pair but may try a few different skis first.

The hotel was stunning, Fantastic pool/jacuzzi, great food and the attention to detail and decor etc was excellent. I highly recommend it if you go back next year as it was the best hotel I've visited in Austria. I though the nightlife was good but not as good as Soll. It seemed that the hotels were all so nice that most people used the hotel bars rather than go out as it seemed quiet at times. We went to Bobbys bar and saw a band we saw in Soll a few years ago! Small world. That was a good night. Overall, the town was really pretty and everyone seemed friendly. The lift attendants were helpful etc especially when we all got off at mid station on the first day by mistake!!

I'd definitely go back but I think we'll go somewhere else next year just for a change. We're considering Mayrhofen or St Anton. Thanks for all the advice Peter it was really useful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I've been deprived of snowheads for a few days as we've been invaded by viruses at work, so personal internet use is forbidden.
Thanks for the recommendation about the hotel. If all goes to plan, it'll be great for my honeymoon with beanie next winter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter, the Bauer would be ideal for a honeymoon. We were treated very well as it was but if you mentioned you were on honeymoon, I'm sure you'd be treated like royalty! Our taxi driver said it was the best hotel in Saalbach and the best restaurant in his opinion. He worked in the bank on week days so he didn't have a vested interest! He did drive like a maniac though!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy