Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does gas prices effect your ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone. Here in Canada and the States gas prices is driving people crazy. Many are not going on vacations at all and have cancelled. Is it effecting you.

Bye the way. I don't take summer off. I have golf and mountain biking reports during the summer. www.tremblant-insider.com incase you guys are thinking of visiting us for the summer. Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Since the original price of the stuff over there was about a tenth of what we pay here, I think you may muster little sympathy. Laughing

Try a more efficient car.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are right, JB007.
We have just cancelled our holiday to Sun Peaks next February.
Normally I pay for ski trips from my annual bonus and saving. This year because of the credit crunch and housing market there clearly will not be any bonus. With the soaring cost of fuel etc etc savings are going to be less. We are therefore missing this next winter and hoping for an improvement next year. We'll certainly be looking at resorts cheaper than Whistler which we found to be very expensive in March this year (particularly in view of the CAD/pound exchange rate)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
Since the original price of the stuff over there was about a tenth of what we pay here, I think you may muster little sympathy. Laughing

Try a more efficient car.

We are heading to the equivalent of 12 USd for a gallon, it's coming your way Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bizzarely the impact in Europe has been softened by our high fuel taxes ... stick with me on this!

In a hypothetical world where petrol costs £1/gallon and tax is £2/gallon (£3 total) then a 50% increase in pre-tax petrol costs only (!) leads on to a 17% increase in prices at the pump.

In a scenario where fuel is £1/gallon and tax is just £0.50 (£1.50 total) then the same 50% increase leads to a 33% uplift at the pump.

Not quite that straightforward in reality as there is also VAT on fuel etc but you get the point.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As a rule Europeans tend to drive more efficient cars (trucks for city dwellers are laughed at over here – mostly and Lux 4x4’s are going the same way) and we are lagging the US in terms of the economic effect of credit and inflation.

As noted above my fuel last night was £1.19 per litre or $8.77 per US gallon at $1.95.

Although I still think it will have some impact. Driving is now 20% more expensive in fuel and another 20% in exchange for UK residents. Flights maybe the same I haven’t checked. What’s going to give? Our summer holiday but not the winter one at the moment..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sure makes me think twice of doing any road-trip this summer or next summer, but winter holidays? naaaaaaaah
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cfc5mu0, I make that more like $10.6 per gallon - or is the US gallon smaller than the British one?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doublepost Embarassed

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 16-06-08 19:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found some petrol at 113.9 per litre yesterday - very exciting. Possibly the cheapest petrol in the Home Counties at the moment?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sad isn't it when that kind of price looks good! I got very excited this morning when I spotted the Euro had nearly reached the dizzy heights of €1.27/£1 ...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball wrote:
cfc5mu0, I make that more like $10.6 per gallon - or is the US gallon smaller than the British one?

A US gallon is 3.785411784 litres
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last weekend I had to visit our apartment in Ste Foy. Usually I have my foot to the floor all the way and average 26-27 miles to the gallon. This trip I set the cruise control at 75mph there and back and averaged 33 mpg Also I only filled up at a Calais supermarket and an Albertville supermarket €1.40 per litre against €1.53 per litre on the autoroutes. I have calculated that I got and extra 120 miles per tank on speed alone and saved €10.00 per tank.

Worth thinking about on your next trip to the mountains!

Vehicle in question, Renault Espace 2.2 tdi auto.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fogliettaz, How were your journey times?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman,

I was just about to add they were the same 13.5 hrs door to door, Essex > Ste Foy via the ferry, 2 double expresso stops either way!
snow conditions
Fogliettaz, And how long does it take with the pedal to the metal.
snow conditions
snowball, there are 1.2 US gallons to an Imperial gallon (approx).
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Pedal to the metal, it still takes 13.5 hrs. That said I usually have a wife and 2 teenagers in the car with me and pit stops take that much longer! I only ever stop twice either way as Calais > Ste Foy = 9 hrs, 3 x 3 x 3.
ski holidays
vetski, It is still cheaper than Evian at motorway services!!!
latest report
I cycle to work and take a packed lunch instead of buying in sandwich shops to negate the effects of fuel increases, I appreciate not everyone can cycle to work but car sharing could be an alternative for a lot more people. Personally as a finite rescourse I think fuel should be expensive but with subsidys for haulage, farmers and taxi companys. Theres no way fuel efficient cars would ahve been built unless fuel was expensive. We must do more.
snow report
Quote:

Personally as a finite rescourse I think fuel should be expensive

I agree with that in principle - trouble is that years of very cheap fuel (yes, not as cheap as the US, they're even worse) has led us to organise our lives in ridiculous ways - like living in places where the only way to get the kids to school is to drive them by car (something we've actually always managed to avoid) or having to drive miles to work every day. The system needs to adjust, but that doesn't negate the pain in the short and medium term. Still, if our worst problem is how to make our ski holiday (s) more affordable, we don't have too much to worry about.

I have started driving slower too (not that I've ever been anywhere with my foot to the floor), which gives us the best part of 50 mpg (diesel). And have just applied for my OAP bus pass which I shall use for local shopping trips to Chichester and Portsmouth etc. I also cycle short distances. My daughter is starting her first full time job, as a teacher, shortly and is doing a recce today to find out how feasible it is going to be to cycle. It's 8.5 miles, which is not too bad, but the obvious route is on a horrific main road, so she's sussing out some alternatives. She did say she'd get herself a better bike if she's going to cycle.

In half an hour I'll be walking to my French workshop, but as that's only a 10 minute walk I don't feel too virtuous... Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

or is the US gallon smaller than the British one

U.S. liquid gallon is legally defined as 231 in³, which is equal to 3.785411784 litres (exactly)
Imperial (UK) gallon is legally defined as 4.54609 litres

You see how I wow the women in bars with that sort of knowledge?????
ski holidays
Quote:

there are 1.2 US gallons to an Imperial gallon

What was wrong with having the same gallon as everyone else, I wonder?

Almost as annoying as fanny meaning something different, etc...
ski holidays
Oops, missed smiley. Here it is Smile
latest report
jonm, the Yanks will tell you that we altered the gallon after they became independent.

I don't know what 'fanny' meant in 1776. (I could make an educated guess, obviously).

wink
latest report
Quote:

What was wrong with having the same gallon as everyone else, I wonder?

Who exactly is "everyone else"?
snow report
Whoever else still uses gallons. Probably not many places now, actually. I was just joking about things being different in the US...
snow report
jonm, I know - me too. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, I had to think about 'gas' in the thread title too, I wondered at first how the price of that stuff which fuels my cooker and boiler could possibly affect my ski trips... Smile
snow report
I've been "lucky" that I dislike driving wink (or rather, driving out of neccecity) so much. I hate the time wasted behind wheels. The whole idea of having to pay attention but doing absolutely nothing is just hard for me. I'd much rather read or take a nap while sitting in a commuter train/ferry/bus (in that order Smile ).

As a result, everywhere I live, I always choose a (somewhat) central location not too far from (some sort of) public transportation, or a neighborhood that's condusive to cycling to shops/work. So the gas price doesn't really affect me directly given I use my car so sparingly.

Though granted, the gas price got passed along indirectly as higher prices for everything else. That, does affect me. Though (hopefully) not to the extent it'll alter my lifestyle. It'll take a much bigger inflation to change MY lifestyle.

I don't take much long (time or distance) vacatoins in the summer. So the impact of gas price is not immediate for me yet. If, however, gas price stay high (or higher) come winter time, it WILL most definitely affect my skiing plan. About half of my skiing is done "locally" within the region. But the better resorts are some distance away. So the higher gas price will quite likely to affect the frequency of such long drives. Though in the grand scheme of things, gas price is but a very small portion of my vacation expense (and insignificant for daily routine) it's effect is relatively small.

I didn't arrive at this position out of intelligence or concience, just pure luck of my disliking driving...
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
laundryman, I had to think about 'gas' in the thread title too, I wondered at first how the price of that stuff which fuels my cooker and boiler could possibly affect my ski trips... Smile

Actually, the original poster should think in terms of "oil".

It didn't make headlines then. But crude oil price gone up and heating oil had gone right up with it. And that was back in Jan/Feb! Much of US/Canada lies in the snowbelt and most home owner (or even renters) had to shell out considerable extra to heat their home the last few months of winter!!!

But for some reason, the high cost of heating oil simply didn't make the headline then. But the gasoline price does. Probably because people only pay heating oil once a month but have to "gas up" every week!
snow report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7047128.stm
snow report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7461635.stm
snow conditions
stanton, I did some research on "chip oil" fuel, in the states (surprisingly!) there are some seriously good home made systems. The best one's seem to have a warming element down the fuel line to keep the bodiesel liquid enought to stop it clogging. I think they still have a problem with the HPDI (high pressure diesels) that many people now drive, the injectors are I think too small and get clogged still. Neat idea, if you've got a really old diesel it would be great to convert it, anyone here tried ?
ski holidays
Frosty, My previous Mazda Campervan would run happily on a mix of diesel and anything up to 50% ordinary vegetable oil. Trouble is lots of people hooked on to that idea and the price of vegetable oil shot up. Not sure it really ethical to use food as fuel anymore. The supply of WVO (waste vegetable oil) is pretty small overall so it is not really going to generate much research and development.
snow report
No i thought i'd starve the family of all other luxuries so bye bye chocolate crisps cd's dvd's.Let them walk or cycle everywhere and yee haaa i still got me 3 ski trips nad hopefully will get a sneeky fourth one in wi me papa.
ski holidays
My strategy of moving to a job where I get the fuel paid seems better and better. Come on winter!
ski holidays
Not so sure how cost of car fuel affects us and the skiing.

I run a 3.2 diesel Mitsubishi so may get accused of a big fuel consumer except the car is over 3 years but clocked up just 18,000 miles, so my car use is possibly 1/3 of an average car user.

For skiing trip my fuel cost averages between 10 to 15% with the recent years it is closer to the 15%. That is to skiing anywhere in the Alps I want in a two weeks trip. Thus if the fuel cost is 30% up overall it would be 1.3*15 = 19.5% to me. I suspect my crossing would be increased too. Last year the crossing and the fuel was 30% of my skiing cost.
ski holidays
jonm wrote:

Oh good, not just me then Laughing
latest report
Fogliettaz wrote:
Last weekend I had to visit our apartment in Ste Foy. Usually I have my foot to the floor all the way and average 26-27 miles to the gallon. This trip I set the cruise control at 75mph there and back and averaged 33 mpg Also I only filled up at a Calais supermarket and an Albertville supermarket €1.40 per litre against €1.53 per litre on the autoroutes. I have calculated that I got and extra 120 miles per tank on speed alone and saved €10.00 per tank.

Worth thinking about on your next trip to the mountains!

Vehicle in question, Renault Espace 2.2 tdi auto.

That's really interesting to me. I average 30mpg in my Espace 3.0Dci V6 Auto with a Top Box on. Cruise set to 150kph. Surprising that the 2.2 is less economical than the 3.0, maybe because it's working a bit harder. I get near 40mpg without the box and if I knock the mph down.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy