Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Babies and skiing holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any guidance on taking a 9 month baby to resort in Austria? Planning the usual trip next Feb and wondered on what we will need.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A baby carrier, a good snow suit, someone to share the child care with so you can get out on the mountain and a resort with a gondola where you can get to the top of the mountain and meet your friends for lunch and sit in the sun sipping hot wine when on baby duty!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boyo, formula milk (they don't have all the brands in Europe), sunglasses (recommend Baby Banz brand with built in head strap), and toys
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
see if grandparents will go as well to look after baby during the day
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep the baby on the breast, then you don't have to carry a whole load of garbage around for formula feeding. You can also breast feed them on the plane so that the ears won't hurt. Our 8 month old took flying in his stride this year and I'm sure that's one of the reasons. They'll be weaning by that time and the selection of baby food isn't always great, so you'll want to take some of that. A few good snow suits since they are sure to throw up at least once. You definitely want sun glasses with a strap as they'll be forever trying to take them off. A small selection of toys, but they can have lots of fun making snowmen, so you don't need to take suitcases full.

I've got a couple of snowsuits that would be suitable for a 9 month old. Give me a PM if you are interested.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would echo jase2472, , otherwise assume that the amount of skiing will be reduced, by a significant amount...unless you have an other half who hates skiing and loves sitting in chalet/room/apartment looking out at the snow!

Also consider transport, a decent off roader (taken or hired in resort) is a must as a sling can be dangerous when legs go from under you on ice etc...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
not taken my kids. My firiends took their 10 mth old with us last year. they didn't have a great success with leaving her in a resort creche (not though any fault of creche) just because baby was only happy when being cuddled and so really needed 1 on 1 which limited the couples skiing quite alot which they'd half expected to be fair. They didn't think it was fair to leave their baby crying - I should emphasise they were not critcal of the creche who had a low ratio of staff to babies just they felt mean leaving the baby when she didn't want to be left. Its a bit different when they're toddlers and want to go and explore a bit of fun(my nearly 2 year old would probably have a ball in a creche)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also consider going to a self catering accomodation or a chalet where you can have a 24 hour access to the kitchen/microwave/fridge etc. These facilities are not always available in a hotel type accommodation. We rented a small self catering chalet that we shared with our 5 month old and the grandparents.

Also must agree with martski, re the push chair as walking with your baby in your arms/babybjorn is a non starter on wintery roads.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More info needed - are you going with a company or more DIY?

If DIY at that age, I would certainly recommend bribing the grandparents to come.

Otherwise we've never had any problems with creches - as others have said food and milk is worth taking to stay with what's normal.

Are you flying or driving
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What PP says about chalets is a very good point in Europe at least, and take a very light pushchair (Maclaren volo or similar) that stows in overhead lockers, can be lifted one hand etc etc. Fleece cositoes thingy. 50% more nappies than you think you need. Favourite powdered food. Be prepared for the kid to get the shits and for you each to only get 50% of the skiing you want, but to have a nice time in the mountains with your sprog.. Two sets of clothing for travel and spare tops for you and partner. (I have been vomited on twice and pooed on once by sprogs whilst traveling).

Try not to visit the creche except to drop/pick-up the child.

Have fun. It can work and be fun - but you need to have slightly different expectations from a normal ski holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boyo, All very good and apt advice above. If you want to get maximum enjoyment from your holiday taking a non-skiing relative is the best plan by a country mile.
One snowHeads company was offering take your Granny free as a special offer last season, I'll try and find the link, yer tis....

http://www.skifamille.co.uk/

ctskifam is the snowhead a forum search with ctskifam as the author also brings up some good links on childcare in the alps
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drive to spare the ears of others on the plane rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Biggest problem with babes on skiing trips is what are you going to do with them all day?

There are really three choices:
- Nursery. Works well if you can find somewhere and are willing to leave them with a stranger all day.
- Half and half. Parents share the childcare. Works fine if you are willing to do this and your accomodation is convenient.
- Grandparents/nanny/friend etc. Probably the best bet: but are they willing and what is the extra cost?

With both ours, we went skiing just as much as previously, and put them in the local nursery. They survived!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boyo, so February minus June is 8 months...congratulations on the recent arrival!

9 months should be quite a decent age to take a baby. Based on my huge wink experience of 1 kid (now 10 months old), I would have cancelled any holiday we had booked at 1,2,3,4,5,6 months (we were just too tired, and couldn't have handled travel stress) but going at 7,8,9,10 months would have been *relatively* easy.

In terms of what to take - well when we go out for day trips with half a dozen other 10 month-olds, the contents of the parents day bags are *totally* different - even down to fundamental stuff like food and milk. Basically, you'll know at the time.

I would recommend covering the basics - diet and sleep - as thoroughly as you can. 1 weeks food and powdered milk for a mostly weaned 9 month old would be about 4kg - in my view not worth risking picking up the right stuff locally. With sleep, round about 8 months our son became *much* more aware of his surroundings and took a couple of nights to settle into change of routine. So anything you can cram in like familiar nightlights/mobiles could be useful. but closer to the time, you'll know what works for your baby anyway.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd echo what others have said but if you are travelling with a Tour Operator try and get them to get the brand/size of nappies you will need in stock in advance of your holiday. A week's worth of nappies = a lot of suitcase space taken up and you can't always rely on getting exactly what you are after in a resort supermarket when you pitch up.

boredsurfin, may do the take a granny free offer again for January weeks in '09 - went down well last year despite the snowHead "Grab a Granny" gags I had to put up with!
snow report
ctskifam, Many years ago we took up a TO offer of free Nanny service in January if booked at the Southampton ski show we ended up going with them for the following 6 seasons, well after we needed a nanny, so hopefully grab a granny is working as well for you Very Happy
ski holidays
boyo wrote:
Does anyone have any guidance on taking a 9 month baby to resort in Austria?

Don't. The snow will still be there in a few years time, but your baby will never again be 9 months old.

That's my view. But, to each his own.
latest report
Thanks guys - just getting a chance to read the messages - new baby has impacted the surfing too - both the real and the cyber variety - as well as the skiing!
snow report
Boris wrote:
More info needed - are you going with a company or more DIY?

If DIY at that age, I would certainly recommend bribing the grandparents to come.

Otherwise we've never had any problems with creches - as others have said food and milk is worth taking to stay with what's normal.

Are you flying or driving

We will probably DIY to Kaprun - same old resort for 5 years Not sure if I want to fly or take the Discovery. We normally hire a car in resort. We were beginning to think abiut a change of resort but I think that the advice on self catering is good.

How about the cold what should we look for in a snow suite?
snow report
boyo, depends whether the baby is crawling - in which case you'll need waterproof if it's going to be crawling outside. If not, just something warm - there are heaps about, and much less expensive. You won't need high tech breathable, and as the baby will probably only use it for a few days, no point spending too much. Warm mitts, obviously, and something to keep the head warm. Sunglasses; French babies seem to keep them on (they are chic from birth). The temperatures can vary so hugely - if it's really cold (the sort of weather when you need a neoprene face mask) you won't want the baby out much. If it's warm and sunny the poor thing could cook in a snowsuit and get prickly heat. By that time you'll be such skilled parents you won't have any problem keeping the baby comfortable.

Have fun - lots of people take babies on ski holidays and enjoy themselves, though it's obviously hard work. I don't see why grandparents would need to be bribed; a holiday with the family should be thoroughly enjoyable, as long as they are not regarded as unpaid servants and get some ski time (or whatever) for themselves.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy