Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Summer 2008

Poster: A snowHead
easiski, Great photos. Thanks. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I didn't go up today, but it was sunny and hot all day. I went down to Bourg d'Oisans to distribute leaflets around the camping sites - boy! I was melting down there. Shocked So happy to get back up here and sit on the balcony for a short time with my book. The only trouble today has been a helicopter that was coming and going right overhead. No idea why, except that it's the Mondial du VTT at the moment, and I imagine it was rescuing mountain bikers who were falling all over the mountain! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chris wrote:
Anyone coming out this weekend will not be disappointed. Cool

That'll be me then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here we are sitting in a hotel in Grenoble, which just happens to have free WIFI included in the room cost of 54 Euros - not too bad. We are setting off sometime tomorrow morning for L2A - our apartment should be ready about 1pm - snowHead snowHead snowHead

Wish Easiski luck in teaching me - she's gonna need it!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chaletglacier, easiski, Good info. Cool pix. Thx.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly, Hope you have a great time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, Have a great time... show us video Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, Really looking forward to hearing about your lessons with easiski. Have a brill time, l know you will. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's another beautiful, sunny day and very warm. This, of course, is great for holidays and for the Mondial du VTT, but presumably not so good for the snow. For Butterfly, it will be an advantage to have softer snow, but I'm curious to see how much has gone lower down when I go up tomorrow. I'm sure it will still be possible to ski to 2,600, but I doubt there'll still be the choices we've had during the week.

Pix tomorrow guys. In the meantime the webcams are working from the DAL website 2alpes.com (not to be confused with the TO website les2alpes.com)! wink Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski,

Wow, june...!!!!

Look forward to hearing how Butterfly gets on...

Arno, got any ideas to pop out in the autumn..??
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, All sounds good but it must get awfully busy up there. Do the race teams get priority when

queuing for lifts or do they wait their turns with everyone else ? Sorry to repeat this banal Q. maybe l

imagine the total ski area to be far smaller than it is. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clare mcbride,

I think it is 200 hectares/ 500 acres which is pretty big!!!

(1 hectare is 100m * 100m)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clare mcbride, NO THEY DON'T Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin It's not all that busy - I haven't been trying to keep peeps out of shots, they're all up on their training lanes most of the time, so no problem unless you use one of those lifts (Muretouse, Dome Nord). If you keep away from them it's fine. Dome Sud can be busy, and a bun fight because lots of them are working on technique (core skills for those who insist on 'catch-phrases'), and they're pushy little beggars. If you remember from when you were here there are 2 main drags on the glacier (Puy Salié north and south) and then another higher one (Lauze). There were other lifts that weren't working then (summer lifts, Dome sud & nord, Muretouse, Soreiller). That covers the whole Dome area, then there's Roche Mantel and Signal down the side of the glacier opposite where you come out of the Jandri Express. There's a red run 'Dome' which goes between the two and the Echines des Chevres also spans the gap and the space. We don't normally ski the Echines in summer, but the snow bridges are still very strong at the moment. There are a red and a blue between the top of the signal and the bottom of the roche mantel lifts. There's a chairlift (Jandri 4) that is just below the resto on the way down (doesn't work often in winter). It is the biggest skiable glacier in europe - it's huge.

Priority is only for private lessons of 4 or fewer pupils with an instructor, just like winter. The French team get priority, but no-one else.

Butterfly has arrived safely and got her skis, we're a go tomorrow morning.

too hot by half today, but Lizzard will be pleased - washing was drying in about 1 hour. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, Have a great time, sure you will.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Thanks ever so, much relieved. Plan on next year to come out and camp for a month Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clare mcbride, Cool Cool
latest report
It's another lovely hot, sunny day today. We went up around 09.30, cup of coffee and started to ski about 10.30. The Roche Mantel was nicely soggy by then, and Butterfly did very well, gradually loosening up as we went on. Mr Butterfly toodled around à pied in the sunshine. Very Happy After the lesson I popped up on the T bar and over to the park to take pix for jeu d'esprit.

first pic is looking down onto the 'pro' part of the park with the big airs below, second photo is looking across from the same point over to the smaller jumps and some of the rails etc.
snow conditions
Then I took a pic from below the big air of one guy going off it, and the next of the jump after the big airs (which are also quite big) Shocked
ski holidays
To finish here's a pic of the two half pipes. The bigger one was closed, but the smaller still in use at 12.45.

The Butterflies went down on the Jandri Express but I skied down. Mountain bikers have pretty much wrecked the piste now with deep tyre grooves everywhere, but instead of following the piste (the snow was well soggy) I went down on the right of the pic here, just poping off the path. You can see how much snow is up there by the depth on the path - the base of it is the stoney part you can see under the snow. Very Happy Actually it was quite nice, and everywhere you can avoid the bike tracks is still fine. The snow is very wet and slow, of course, but quite pleasant. Very Happy

I'm not sure if I'll bother to ski down again as, although it's quite nice out of the bike tracks, it's quite hard to avoid them all - hell and dam*ation! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
easiski,

The snow look great ... Laughing
snow report
… so does the sky snowHead
ski holidays
RachelQ, got to keep up with our average 300 days a year. Very Happy

JT, It's really not bad, for 22nd June it's exceptional. Very Happy Just a shame about the bike tracks. I'm half thinking of trudging up to 'Arno's' tomorrow to finish off the ski down season. If I do I'll take pix - no-one else has bothered - no tracks at all. However there's been a lot of Sahara sand dropped which makes it kind of sticky.
snow report
yet again it is hot and sunny. there was obviously a good re-freeze last night as we got up the mountain a bit earlier today and the Puy Salié looked very firm at 10.00. We skied down though to Roche Mantel and Signal which were soggy and soggier! However Butterfly did well, after having a 'moment' she got her focus back and finished off down the little bit from the path off Signal down to the Funicular which, in spite of nice snow is actually quite steep. I wanted to go round, but she decided that it would be OK and she managed to hold her form very well - excellent. Very Happy Very Happy

I took both pics from the same spot just off the Signal (yes - Butterfly did go off piste), one looking down and the other looking up.
latest report
easiski wrote:

I took both pics from the same spot just off the Signal (yes - Butterfly did go off piste), one looking down and the other looking up.

Go Butterfly... Very Happy

.... now you just have to convince the +1 that he wants to learn to ski Wink
ski holidays
It's been very warm, rather overcast and a brisk wind today. The snow was softening up at 09.00 and was really sludgy by 12.30 - hey, ho! I'm afraid that as I had 2 lessons and was very pushed for time today I forgot to take a photo. I meant to do the nursery area, but was too bound up with my beginners to do it. Sad Very sorry - mea culpa! Sad In point of fact it wasn't worth taking a photo anyway! Shocked

Butterfly didn't have a lesson today, but did some practise on her own, which was a big deal. She then went on the Croisiere Blanche with Mr Butterfly which they both really enjoyed - we're starting to see a big grin now. Very Happy Up with her again tomorrow, a bit earlier in case of warm nights, and hopefully I will remember to take a photo for you.

little tiger, I don't really think there's much chance of Mr. giving it a go just yet - maybe another time.
ski holidays
I am sat in the Red Frog using free wifi for an hour to check up on email and thought I'd pop in here!!

It is great here - skiing and then down to the resort and 30+ degrees of summer sun - I would never have believed it possible!! Indeed, as Easiski said, Mr B says NO chance of getting him on skis, sadly! He is however thoroughly enjoying the lifts and views and is rejoicing in new found fitness as his diabetes is now better controlled.

I have taken an obscene number of photos! Here are a few - more later!

Here's Easiski's "air" shot she took with my camera!

Proof I went off piste!

The Croisiere Blanche - great fun!

Avalanche!
ski holidays
Merci easiski, much appreciated !<p>

Comments from the "pro" (and I merely quote, so pls forgive me wink ): "the pipe looks shitty, but the tables look fun" !
BTW, are there any rails ?
ski holidays
jeu-d-esprit, Yes. Tell the 'pro' that it was good enough for Tanner Hall last year - is he that good??? wink wink wink wink wink I have [n]no[/i] idea!
snow report
Oh yeah ! ..... He's HUGE ... I mean Tanner Hall ... fully pro and presumably send by his sponsor, perhaps for filming ? - He's here @ Hood right now for the Windells camps.
(Thanks for the info BTW - this will impress my 'pro' seriously and give your park an enormous boost on the "bragging scale" (and in addition a lot of free advertising on the Newschooler's scene), i.e. - "so sick man, Tanner Hall was there - sweeeeeeet !") wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jeu-d-esprit, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It was a good day yesterday, with a bit more re-freeze in the night. Butterfly made strides, and I discovered my camera had lost it's batteries and i hadn't noticed! Shocked Trying again today.

What's a little worrying is that it has been pretty warm every night lately, 10 deg at 06.45 here. Sad I dont' know how long this warm weather will go on for, but at least there's lots of snow to melt, so I suppose we can support it for a bit longer. I may ski down to 2,600 at the end of the month if it's possible, just to do it. TBH though I can't be bothered to ski down most days because that means that I have to hump my skis around instead of leaving them at the glacier.
snow report
Gosh - I actually got myself together today! Shocked Warm and sunny again, with a bit more re-freeze than yesterday. Around 09.45 the Roche Mantel was softening up in the middle, but still slightly hard up on the bank on the right. However, Signal (being lower) was softer, and Butterfly managed the off piste bit that freaked her out the other day very well, and here's a pic of her near the bottom of Signal. Later we went up in the funicular and over to Puy Salié, did her first T bar on Dome Sud and skied back down very well. The run included going over a couple of snow walls. Very Happy Very Happy There's another pic of the first part of the glacier from the resto terrace. BTW, in case anyone is wondering, that's only half the run you can see.
snow conditions
Very Happy We'll be getting a heatwave over the weekend with 40°C+ and skiing will still continue of course, but we're outta here ..... sweeeeeeeeeet !

Easiski: does everyone have a nice, serious 'raccoon-face' overthere ?
latest report
jeu-d-esprit, Getting there - we call it panda eyes. Very Happy Most of the freestylers wear the terrorist look though, so they're all whitey,white under it! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Warm and sunny again today, although with the odd light cloud drifting around on the glacier. It was chillier (only 4 deg at 08.00), but the temp must have dropped late at night as the re-freeze wasn't any better than yesterday. We skied the Roche Mantel and then off piste of the Signal on the bottom of the Echines des Chevres, so about half way along I took a photo looking up at it. There were still plenty skiing it, and although the snow looked rough it was very pleasant to ski. The red from the top of Signal to the bottom of Roche Mantel was quite soft, but otherwise OK. We watched a guy skiing down the Breche as we were coming down and it looked quite nice although you clearly have to choose your route, and at one point you have to de-ski and walk across the road - but you had to do that at the same point last year on the first day of the season!

The unfortunate thing is that the hot weather is set to continue for some days yet at least, so a little bit cooler would be good.
latest report
easiski, : Yep, exactly the same overhere ... thanks btw for your prompt responses and great updates ! Very Happy
ski holidays
jeu-d-esprit, No problemo - hope to meet you when you're here. Very Happy Very Happy

Off up early tomorrow, just had farewell dinns with Butterfly who's starting back home - saw vid, you all should before long. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
easiski,

Lovely pics Very Happy
ski holidays
johnboy, thanks. Sunny again today, I'm off early. Sad
snow conditions
Hello all from Annecy en route home - managed to find a hotel with free wifi so thought I'd pop in while Mr B's attending to his email, then we are off for a walk. We're not home till late on Weds - decided to visit a few places on the way. I will do a trip report and upload pics/vid later on or when I get home but I just wanted to record a massive

THANK YOU!!!

to Easiski who had me relaxed & grinning on my skis; I even found that going over the two small piste-side snow-walls was FUN Shock Shock snowHead snowHead
latest report
Butterfly, glad to hear you had fun Very Happy
ski holidays
Butterfly, Thanks. Very Happy

Very hot again yesterday and sunny (is this getting boring?) pic from the top of the Signal chair looking over to the Puy Salie area.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy