Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Summer 2008

Poster: A snowHead
easiski, You lucky lucky snowHead 8" sounds divine, l'm so envious, can't wait to see the pics Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Very Happy Very Happy

Sink looks great as well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looked up and out at 20.10 and .... look at that snowline. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I will go up tomorrow if it's nice, but not if it's cloudy and snowy/rainy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
it was a lovely day, and cold this morning at around freezing first thing so I went up to ski. The first thing that happened was that the Puy Salie Nord broke down and we had to wait for ages for it to start. Then it stopped just before I got the top of the first steeper bit. Eventually I decided to walk up to the Puy Salie Sud get on (they move it up the hill a bit when it gets too nasty low down). So when I finally got to start skiing my back was aching and my legs were tired from walking up. Mad Anyway, there wasn't much in the way of powder, but there were some little stashes of fresh which was very wind crusty, but not too deep, so could be skied with care. Delicacy required on the skis not to sink in and get stuck, but fun. I skied every run but the Lauze was closed. The pistes were getting little bumps but it was winter snow all the way. Very Happy There were loads of peeps up, I suppose from Grenoble. They must have seen the snow on the peaks and just jumped in their cars, consequently it was a lot busier than I expected, considering it was Saturday. Shocked Good though! Very Happy Very Happy

I took a couple of pics on the way up in the Jandri Express, one showing snow on the Rachas and then one of the Toura area at 2,600m. the snowline was down to about 2,400m Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also took photos from the top of Dome Sud looking down that run and then from the same point looking over towards Alpe d'Huez.

Later I took this pic of the elderly ski ballet couple who come up 2 or 3 times a year and practise. they're actually not getting any better, but they're quite old. I just missed them with both of them doing their thing in harmony.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I finished up with a coffee on the terrace, and just look at the difference compared to the photo I took the other day (top of the last page I think). Quite incredible. The sad thing is that I had a very nice family skiing last week, when the weather was rather dodgy, and the snow at the worst it's been all summer - they went home early today. Such a shame!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski,

How many cms of fresh snow on the glacier?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow that is amazing, i would have never thought that you'd get decent snowfall in august. Does that mean you can ski down the signal and get the chair up?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, Great pics and the snow looks so soft and squeaky, feel sorry for the family who've just gone home. Told the folks at work last night about the 8" of fresh, they found it hard to believe, snowing in Summer !! When does the glacier close, end of Aug ? and then reopen ? Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jj193, Sadly no - that would require a lot more snow as both Roche Mantel and Signal are actually glacier and are more holes than ice under the snow. They need a lot of snow to make new bridges.

johnboy, Difficult to say because there wasn't much left when I got there and it was very windblown. Deepest I skied was probably about 10 cms, but there might have been more before the machines got to work. The whole thing (including Lauze which wasn't open) was pisted from one side to the other.

clare mcbride, Yep - end august and re-opens for the 10 days of the Mondial at the end of October, then 3 weeks closed until the winter opening at the end of Nov. Very Happy

I am soooooo chuffed - just got a booking for Monday. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Much colder and heaters on in the house now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:

I am soooooo chuffed - just got a booking for Monday. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

yay Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

elderly couple who come up 2 or 3 times a year and practise. they're actually not getting any better, but they're quite old.

I know the feeling! Great reports and pics, easiski. We were walking in the Hauteluce Valley yesterday - quite stunning, with a dusting of snow on the Aiguille Croche (top of Les Contamines skiing) and the woods full of raspberries. The raspberries survived the day better than the snow, which had all melted in the sun by the time the raspberries were being turned into jam.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, OMG! what a waste of raspberries - so much nicer on your muesli or with cream! (my fave fruit). Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, we had far too many to eat fresh!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesome pics/reports - thanks for making me feel jealous Smile
snow report
pam w, Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Shallimus, thanks
latest report
easiski,

what about a cup of coffee, as we agreed earlier? Wink

where can I find u? I ride each day, so may be we can meet in the cafe on the top?
snow conditions
yeremey, I will be up tomorrow with a lesson, otherwise we could have a coffee in the town. I won't go up again without clients unless there's powder!! You can pick up my little yellow fliers in the tourist office which have my mobile number on, or else it's on every page of my website. You probably won't read this until it's too late tomorrow though. Sad
snow report
it's been a lovely day today so far, and I'm about to have a nice break on the balcony. It's much warmer than it has been for the last few days. Still a fairly chilly night though, but the temp at dawn (see first pretty pic with the moon at 06.40 this morning) was above freezing! Madeye-Smiley

I took the normal view of the glacier at around 09.30 and then a view looking down to the bottom of the Signal chair (since it was mentioned yesterday) with the Roche Mantel chair in the top left corner as I left the glacier at about 14.45.
snow report
on the way down I took 2 views of the same work which seems to involve making the steepest blue run in the world into a least a red, if not actually a blue! Shocked Shocked Up until last season it's been a nasty little black slope on the blue escape run from the Fee. In the first pic you can see the shape of the Fee, and of course the walls to the right and left are 2 of the nice off piste areas here. Very Happy
snow report
easiski, loving the pictures and reports. Only 102 days till I arrive. Cool
snow report
easiski, it's fascinating - if not terribly beautiful! - to see these runs being made. Great pics, thanks.
ski holidays
Blimey easiski, looks like an open cast mine. Shocked I had this vision in mind of a mountain side covered in greenery and scrub in the summer, is this just an isolated part o the mountain. I love this snowy bit, snowHead would have expected a lot of blue ice at this time of year, is this normal or a one off.
snow conditions
Headplant, There is grass and so on up to about 2,400 in some profusion, then getting less as you go higher. Actually the browny bits you can see in the photos are grass. Above 2,600 apart from alpine flowers which grow all the way up in crevices in the rocks there is almost no flora. It's tundra! The snow is better than normal for this time of year, but you only have to look back a page to see how it was going before last week's snowfall. We're hoping for more snow later tomorrow and snow in the late afternoon/evening. Very Happy Very Happy That would be tooooo Cool Very Happy we don't get blue ice (shiny stuff) in the summer - it's all grainy and grey and not too slick normally. (bigger granules)

Hurtle, That's the plan. It always seems to me (quite understandably), that most skiers don't really think about or understand what goes on to make their holiday better. With all this work happening at the moment (similar work at the top of the red part of the Thuit, I posted a pic the other day) I kinda think it's good to show it.

We get a lot of comments along the lines of 'why don't you just make a blue run down the face?' Well, of course that part is pastureland in summer and imagine the mess it would make, the huge hole that would have to be dug out of the mountain to turn a black slope into a blue run, the retaining wall that would have to be built to stop the mountain falling down ......... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Swirly, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, that's SO instructive. Your average punter (me included) has very little idea of what's involved in creating pistes at all. Thanks for informing us.
latest report
easiski, enjoying the reading and pics also. Thanks!!!!!
ski holidays
easiski, Great to hear about the elderly couple - I think it is wonderful when you see people like that out enjoying themselves and keeping as fit as life allows them to rather than sitting around vegetating! It's the old "use it or lose it" I reckon!

I too find the pics of the development work fascinating - any chance of posting some of these as links to larger images as it's quite hard to make out the detail at a small size?
snow report
Butterfly, If I come up for air in the DIY department I might go up to 2,600 and walk down to take photos in more close-up. As you know my camera isn't the greatest. Nice early morning today but the clouds are starting to mass behind the Ecrins so the promised weather might be on it's way. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, bit off topic, but plan to go to LDA week of 13th-20th and was wondering how much is usually open by then? I know it changes season on season, but average?
snow report
easiski,

same work which seems to involve making the steepest blue run in the world into a least a red, if not actually a blue! Shocked Shocked Up until last season it's been a nasty little black slope on the blue escape run from the Fee.

Is the steepest blue run in the world shown on this map? Where?

snow report
Timmaah, 13th - 20th of what?

PisteHead, No - you can't see it. It's a little bit off the top of the Fee - there's a blue path that is the escape route for peeps who can't read the signs and think they're on the Voute chairlift back up to the Cretes (the signs are very big) rolling eyes Once at the top of the Fee all the runs are basically black, there's a red that's pretty black and a path to get away from it .... along the path there's a bit that climbs slightly but otherwise there's this short steep section that joins the Goulet du Grand Nord ... It is really a black run - but this is LDA! Shocked Laughing I've just found that on the interactive winter map you can see it if you zoom into the Cretes sector and then move the map a bit to the left. The run is marked in between the words Gours and Grand Nord. Hope this helps. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, I'll take a look on the interactive map. I like hearing about places I've been to so please do keep posting.
snow report
easiski, Silly me.. december.
snow report
Timmaah, Well, last year the whole mountain was open except for the Pied Moutet side (that was to do with the numbers here), the year before we could ski down to the Cretes at that time. If you look back at the start of the last 2 years' snow reports you'll see the photos. Very Happy

Rather disappointing today as there was a huge storm last night but no repeat of the low snow the other day. The cloud is still over the top of La Muzelle though (about 3,400m) so I can't be sure how much it might have snowed on the glacier. If it clears a bit more I'll take a piccy later.
snow report
easiski, Ah ha, yup enjoyed that little trip around the Fee. Remember the restaurant did yummy apple tart, sat there in the sun last Feb, thinking one day l'll do the mogully black. Smile
ski holidays
clare mcbride, that would be Aymes? Not too steep, but the top of the Fee is intimidating because it's at the top of the ridge and the ground drops away from you in all directions - I always get a bit dizzy up there.

I heard (but cannot verify) that it rained all over the glacier last night and it was icy today as a result. Sad Sad Sad
snow report
easiski, You rarely use the "icy" word, must have been pretty slippy for you to say so Shocked

l've been handed my leave forms for Summer 09 rolling eyes to be filled in and returned by mid. Sep. l shouldn't really ask, no-one has a crystal ball, but l'd like to camp in Venosc. ski every day in L2A. lf you had the 12th July to the 2nd of Aug. OR the 26th July to the 16th poss. 23rd Aug. which (going on previous years weather) would you choose Question
snow conditions
clare mcbride, It's what I heard (icy). for summer skiing the earlier the better always - no chance of June? That would be loads better than July ....

it was hot and sunny today all day Very Happy No skiing but Chicken Dhansak and his family came round for a chat and tea and brought choccy cake. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
easiski, 3rd & 4th week in June, 1st & 2nd week in July it is then Very Happy Cheers
snow report
clare mcbride, that sounds more like it. Very Happy Are you talking 4 weeks? gosh! Shock
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy