Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scheffau in early December ? What do you think?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We cannot go away next year Sad and the only ski week available for us is the 2nd week in December.

We always go to Scheffau but not sure about going this early? Hotel needs to know soon about our rooms/flights etc

I know we need a crystal ball but is there any website that shows snow records for the last few years?

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would choose a resort with a glacier as a backup when there is a lack of snow around in early Dec. Area around Scheffau peaks at 1650m and the whole of Ski Welt is no higher than 1829m or 1892m if you travel to Westerndorf.

Thus I would pick Zell am See peaks at 2000m with Kaprun (glacier) next to it and included in the same ski pass. It is a short bus trip from Zell am See but when you start to ski in Kaprun you will be from 2452m level upward and can go up to Kitzsteinhorn's Gipfelstation at 3029m too.

There could be enough snow in Ski Welt for the 2nd week in December but Zell am See//Kaprun should have more.

Tirol also have a few glacier-based resorts and the nearest to Ski Welt could be Hintertux but it is far away from the nearby resort in Zillertal Valley.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes,

Zell is a better bet
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PRM1, Ski welt is often open at that time but official resort openings have always been 3rd week of Dec. This far out, and without that crystal ball, I'd be heading for Kaprun, Hintertux or Solden. Obergurgl should be in full swing by then too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Between stubai, Kaprun, Hintertux or Solden. Obergurgl I think I would go for Obergurgl because the resort starts at almost 2000m above sea level. It is one of the whitest places I have been even I didn't manage to ski there last time. The ski map of Obergurgl indicates its low season commenced from 16 November in 2007. That is what I would call a safe bet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
many thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PRM1, welcome to Snowheads. You could also be reasonably confident of snow at one of the high French resorts such as Tignes, or Val Thorens. Very different feel, of course; not so gemutlich but heaps of runs and will be very quiet in early December.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,

Except for when we are there...ha ha.

PRM1, I am sure Scheffau has many things going for it with regard to your holiday, although early season snow promise wouldn't be very high on that list. Not impossible, of course, but equally not probable either. If you want the chance to ski, then either look at somewhere with a glacier nearby or book late when you might have a chance to follow the snow. Resort/lift opening times are just as pertinent.

As above, really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At christmas we always had the logic that you never get 2 bad years on the trot, so if France was poor one year we'd go there the following year. Whether that logic can be tried for 2 successive years of decent snow remains to be seen.
But the likelihood is that Scheffau will not be open at that time of year, the lifts will probably not open until mid December.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PRM1 wrote:
We cannot go away next year Sad and the only ski week available for us is the 2nd week in December.

We always go to Scheffau but not sure about going this early? Hotel needs to know soon about our rooms/flights etc

I know we need a crystal ball but is there any website that shows snow records for the last few years?

thanks

Scheffau is 750 - 1650m i.e. too low for an early December booking.

I'd be inclined to book flights so that they are cheap but pick hotel nearer the time based on actual snowfall. In your position I'd probably book flights to Innsbruck with a view to visiting one of the following resorts

Serfaus - great family resort (hada great week there Dec 07 but people who went Dec 06 said it was green not white)
Obergurgl - nice resort with village charm.
Sölden Glacier - When snow is scarce.
Hintertux Glacier - When snow is really scarce.

If the snow is really good (as with Dec 07) a whole host of other possibe resorts will open up. Hotel places at that time of year aren't hard to come by so don't be pressured into making a decision on a hotel booking now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent, many thanks for all the advice really appreciated.

We have booked Obergurgl as it hs had excellent reviews.

Can't wait to try out somewhere different.

Fingers crossed for the snow! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy