Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is the most Benign Place. "Come to BZK, chat; Wibble, Wibble, Fish, Cock, Knockers." BY

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, That's BZK. NehNeh Now lets really talk ................................. Cool

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-06-08 23:29; edited 10 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is the title of this thread in some sort of obscure code because it makes no sense whatsoever to me!?!

EDIT
Ah, I see since I posted this you've cleverly edited the title and your post above (no less than 6 times it seems!) to give it some vague semblance of sense... most amusing Razz

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 6-06-08 23:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BZK has nothing to do with skiing. It's the place where people go to argue round and round in circles until they eventually disappear up their own butts.

(Oh, I wish they would rolling eyes Laughing .)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a natural consequence of putting some physics nerds together with some wind-up merchants and some "I'm a better skier than you" or "My mates are definitely better skiers than you" types together.

So SZK which box are you in? Obsess about your boots but don't worry about technique? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi, not everybody comes to BzK for that. I enjoy and find it useful having a section on snowHeads where you can discuss, shock horror!, skiing. Seems to be a bit of a minority sport compared to Apres Ski, I'll grant you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, Yep all you need is YOUR MIND and YOUR FEET. Play with gravity. Little Angel

I also strongly believe that if your boots fit well and you can feel things, teaching yourself skiing is a whole lot quicker and offers a better sense of satisfaction.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a very average sort of skier and some bits of BZK are way over my head, others useful and interesting. I read the bits I want to read, and don't read the other bits. But if other people want to do so, fine. Some people just invent problems where none exist except in their heads.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, But, put me in the "Wind up Merchants" box while you're there. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
teaching yourself skiing is a whole lot quicker

A whole lot quicker than being taught by somebody else? Shirley not, sir!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w,

The terms "a priori" and "a posteriori" are used in philosophy to distinguish between deductive and inductive reasoning, respectively.[citation needed] Attempts to define clearly or explain a priori and a posteriori knowledge are part of a central thread in epistemology, the study of knowledge. Since the definitions and usage of the terms have been corrupted over time and therefore vary between fields, it is difficult to provide universal definitions of them. One rough and oversimplified explanation is that a priori knowledge is independent of experience, while a posteriori knowledge is dependent on experience. In other words, statements that are a priori true are tautologies.
Economists sometimes use "a priori" to describe a step in an argument the truth of which can be taken as self-evident. "A posteriori", on the other hand, implies that an argument must be based upon empirical evidence.

Rhetoric is the art of harnessing reason, emotions and authority, through language, with a view to persuade an audience and, by persuading, to convince this audience to act, to pass judgement or to identify with given values. The word derives from Greek ρητορική (rhetorike), fem. of ρητορικός (rhetorikós), "oratorical, skilled in speaking" and that from ρήτωρ (rhetōr), "orator".
In Greece, rhetoric originated in a school of pre-Socratic philosophers known as Sophists c.600 BC. It was later taught, in the Roman Empire, and during the Middle Ages, as one of the three original liberal arts or trivium (along with logic and grammar).
In Ancient and Medieval eras of European history, rhetoric concerned itself with persuasion in public and political settings such as assemblies and courts of law. As such, rhetoric is said to flourish in open and democratic societies with rights of free speech, free assembly, and political enfranchisement for some portion of the population. However, celebratory (or epideictic) rhetoric, alongside deliberative rhetoric, is just as important an element of tyrannical regimes or dogmatic (religious and otherwise) public entities that are not open to debate on an equal footing.
In contraposition to scientific debates , rhetorical arguments, as in politics or even justice, do not make use of demonstrable or tested truths, but resort to fallible opinions, popular perceptions, transient beliefs, chosen evidence or evidence at hand (like statistics), which are all properly called commonplaces as they help establish a commonality of understanding between the orator or rhetor and his/her audience.
Contemporary studies of rhetoric have a more diverse range of practices and meanings than was the case in ancient times. The concept of rhetoric has thus shifted widely during its 3300-year history. Rhetoricians have recently argued that the classical understanding of rhetoric is limited because persuasion depends on communication, which in turn depends on meaning. Thus the scope of rhetoric is understood to include much more than simply public--legal and political--discourse. This emphasis on meaning and how it is constructed and conveyed draws on a large body of critical and social theory (see literary theory and Critical Theory), philosophy (see Post-structuralism and Hermeneutics), and problems in social science methodology (see Reflexivity). So while rhetoric has traditionally been thought of as being involved in such arenas as politics, law, public relations, lobbying, marketing and advertising, the study of rhetoric has recently entered into diverse fields such as humanities, religion, social sciences, law, science, journalism, history, literature and even cartography and architecture. Every aspect of human life and thought that depends on the articulation and communication of meaning can be said to involve elements of the rhetorical. "In the last ten years, many scholars have investigated exactly how rhetoric works within a particular field"

I think that covers it from my point of view. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so what your saying is that the gorilla would win every time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, Yessssssssss. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oi, i was laughing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, wink Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
maggi, not everybody comes to BzK for that. I enjoy and find it useful having a section on snowHeads where you can discuss, shock horror!, skiing. Seems to be a bit of a minority sport compared to Apres Ski, I'll grant you.

Maybe a few more of us would post in there if we had any idea what you lot were talking about. Or maybe its just me? I've bravely waded my way through several threads in BZK and most of it goes over my head. I don't feel sufficiently knowledgeable or experience enough to post therefore I don't. Apres is mostly about things that I know about, therefore I will. And you're forgetting that for most of us, the season is over so unless you'd like me to consider posting a trip report about my drive round the M25 this week....? Toofy Grin
latest report
Charli939,
Quote:

Apres is mostly about things that I know about

just post lots of smiley faces Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing wink wink talk how bad your hangover is, your car, your television, your lost girlfriend, big brother, or any thing else that is completely unrelated to skiing and you to can be a good snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Charli939, don't take any notice of skimottaret' rule about how to be a good snowHead .

What you really have to do is explain a mathematical point about arcs and parallel lines about a million times over 20 pages until you get to the point where someone you have never met, and don't give a toss about, says, "Gosh, you are right!"

rob@rar wrote:
I enjoy and find it useful having a section on snowHeads where you can discuss, shock horror!, skiing.

Yes, and when that happens I enjoy and find it useful too. However, the Inner Tip Lead thread is more Monty Python argument sketch than anything approaching skiing rolling eyes .
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
fatbob,
I also strongly believe that if your boots fit well and you can feel things, teaching yourself skiing is a whole lot quicker and offers a better sense of satisfaction.

Yep,, me too. In fact,,, if those folks who's boots DON'T fit well have a Dremel tood and a hair dryer, they can work on their boots themselves, and actually get a better fit than if they took them to a "professional" boot fitter. Should only take about 20 minutes, leaving plenty of time to go skiing in the afternoon and become an expert. Laughing
latest report
skimottaret, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing wink wink

Hangover... under construction Laughing car's nice (but not a disco wink ) Laughing television.. square thing in the corner with pictures on it - no idea what make and don't really care Laughing umm <cough> lost boyfriend if you please but he's definately not worth a few syllables Toofy Grin and talking about BB in anything but hushed tones is likely to get you shot around here Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yayyy can I say I am qualified now? Do I get a certificate or a used ski-boot trophy or summat? Toofy Grin

maggi, Inner Tip Lead? Oh yes, such an interesting thread, I was quite riveted... right up to the point when I woke up with the mouse mat stuck to my forehead.... wink Toofy Grin
latest report
maggi wrote:

rob@rar wrote:
I enjoy and find it useful having a section on snowHeads where you can discuss, shock horror!, skiing.

Yes, and when that happens I enjoy and find it useful too. However, the Inner Tip Lead thread is more Monty Python argument sketch than anything approaching skiing rolling eyes .

Yes it is, although it didn't start off like that. The first couple of pages were intersting to me before it got somewhat sidetracked.

Charli939, if you didn't understand what is being said, just ask. That might help keep threads on piste rather than wandering off into the back country of minutia that few are interested in. Or post threads that relate to your own learning experiences so that other snowheads can join in and comment. BzK doesn't need to be limited to a small number of people, but it will be if nobody else posts here...
snow report
Love it, hate it.... right now it is the only decent thing on here. Laughing wink
ski holidays
YesJT, in the desperate desolation that is summer, you do have a point. IMHO, BZK/GEOMETRY is loads better than it used to be.
There seems to be more tolerance and respect floating around.... but what on earth is 'park and ride'?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, afaik it's "tip the skis on edge and let them take you round". Does that mean anything to you? Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
but what on earth is 'park and ride'?

It's where you set the skis on their edges and let them follow an arc around. The arc that you 'ride' is set by the ski's radius and the (fixed) angle you 'park' the skis at for that turn. You make no attempt to shape the turn, eg a tightening arc by increasing the edge angle towards the end or loading the pressure on the ski in a particular way. In general park and ride requires a lower level of skill than changing the turn shape during the turn.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 7-06-08 9:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
See, rob@rar has been on BASI courses, so he says it better Laughing
latest report
Yoda, Laughing
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, from the glossary "PARK and RIDING" - Term used when skiers are making carved turns but lack continuous dynamic movement during the turns.

sorry this post is way to serious, let me add that i come here to chat, fizz , jizz, wibble cock, etc etc. (sorry forgot some smileys) snowHead snowHead snowHead Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, rob@rar, ah thank you. Perfectly explai ned Little Angel
I had thought it something to do with car free resorts such as Wengen.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, how could you be so stupid? Didn't you learn anything at school (assuming you went to school that is)? Getting to Wengen involves riding on parallel tracks Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yoda, but you would never get their as the train would crash because the railroad track arent parallel and have the same radii wink
ski holidays
FastMan,
Quote:

"A posteriori", on the other hand, implies that an argument must be based upon empirical evidence.

Laughing
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,

Parkand ride is an easy term to follow....unlike rail them...which the Americans like to attach to park and ride, AFAICS... Correct me if I'm wrong here.
To me, if a skis rails... it holds the corner ( edge) really well, doesn't break away, nails it... etc etc .. As said by Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman' It that implies you throw the thing into a corner and get the returns, rather than set the position and ride which is far more sedate.

The sort of thing you'd do at the end of a long day ..almost easy armchair skiing, is park and ride. Not wrong, you just might just be taking a break.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

Charli939, if you didn't understand what is being said, just ask. That might help keep threads on piste rather than wandering off into the back country of minutia that few are interested in. Or post threads that relate to your own learning experiences so that other snowheads can join in and comment. BzK doesn't need to be limited to a small number of people, but it will be if nobody else posts here...

I don't think I could possibly keep asking questions, it would disrupt the threads to the point of being unreadable. Embarassed I think my point was that, for the most part, the topics in BzK relate to skiing way over and above my level and generally I find reading them just makes me think 'I need more lessons'. For example, I thought that on my last trip I had mastered proper carving (to a degree) but reading some of the posts since, I'm now not so sure.

I think we have to accept that on snowHeads there exists the full spectrum of skier levels (not to mention personalities) and there should be something on here for everyone. There's no shame in not understanding the majority of the posts in BzK nor is there any in finding the Apres Zone an amusing diversion until December comes.

Gratuitous smileys to follow.....

Laughing wink Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
Charli939, Notice that most (there are one or two exceptions) Ampshire 'eads stay well clear of BZK!
latest report
boredsurfin, Cowardice? Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin, Good point.... I'll get my coat Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Charli939, there's a lot that I don't understand in BzKs so I certainly hope there's no shame in that. If you don't want to disrupt the flow of a thread by asking questions feel free to start a new thread - I'm sure that there will be a few people who will want to contribute to an answer, at a level which hopefully a wide spectrum of skiers will be able to understand.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Thanks Very Happy I'm sure that I would if I needed to, although I'm not much of a thread-starter, more of a thread contributor (and that's probably a very glamourous name for the piffle I post rolling eyes ). That said, I did start one recently - on dog chemo - which was something I needed some info on quickly and some snowHeads were very kind as to post replies to that, which was very helpful. So its not beyond the realms of possibility that I may start one again at some point. But BZK for the most part (as boredsurfin correctly alluded to) is a little high brow for me and so I shall most likely slink off back to DC where the rubbish I post is more in keeping wink Toofy Grin

If its any consolation - your posts are clearer and easier to understand than some Very Happy
ski holidays
just for the fun
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy