Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What system?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Question that's out in the field of the hypothetical at the moment but say I really wanted to improve my skiing technically but don't have unlimited time and budget for personal coaching and/or the full BASI shebang.

Ability to actually hold a high level instructor card probably irrelevant as I doubt I'd ever pass the speed tests and/or freestyle elements.

As I see it possible options might be experiential type camps e.g. Steep n Deep where coaching is on the fly, summer glacier tuition or freelance entry for Canadian L1/2 badges (i.e. not through a gap year outfit - I don't need my bum wiped for me).

Do BASI have anything to offer that meets this spec?

At the moment would be inclined toward the CSIA option as access to good trainers, a sound central methodology and relatively very good value for money.

Actually being legal to teach is a secondary priority though would be nice. Dryslopes not really an option due to geography.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, wait a few months and buy Fastman's DVD series... I'd think that would be a good start.... Very Happy Seriously you are not the "take lessons" type so much so something like that may at least point you right direction....

A bit of work with Easiski -perhaps with a bunch of friends to split cost - over summer perhaps as well? This would give you an independent review of your skiing re technical issues... Go back once a year for a few days each summer - you will then know what to focus on for the next year. Focus on such issues as directed and using DVD as above... You won't need to do days of practice... just a short spell each day if possible...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The weeks I've done with Snoworks have always had a high technical content, and got me to the stage of passing BASI L1 and L2 without needing a gap course or much in the way of specific coaching. You'll get lots of discussion on ski technique and you can choose the flavour course that suits you best (eg off-piste, backcountry or for on-piste development the race classes are very good). Unless you want to teach I think an instructor course (regardless of which system you choose) will involve spending more time than you are happy with practicing your snowploughs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, BASI will just teach you to be a BASI instructor - which is not the same as teaching you to ski better. There are heaps of coaching outfits (Warren Smith, Phil Smith, Sally Chapman) who will happily provide coaching weeks or weekends.

If you are not the
Quote:

take lessons

type, a week with a mountain guide in somewhere like La Grave will certainly rev up your skiing (and expose the weaknesses).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, i agree with the others in that unless you are motivated by wanting to teach an L1 course through BASI or CSIA wont improve your technical skiing as much as a pure technical session with snoworks, etc.

However, one thing i have found is that instructor courses are much "harder" in the sense that you are trying to achieve a professional qualification, you are always pushed and the training is serious and intense. Much different to a camp where you are on holiday and the trainers (who may be BASI trainers) are more concerned that you are enjoying the experience and will come back or recommend it to a friend. Safety, Enjoyment, and Learning in that order. on a basi course learning is much higher on the agenda. I got much more technical improvement on basi type courses than the Snoworks one i did.... But it very much depends what you want out of it and how serious you want to be during your week.

I didnt really think teaching beginners would be my cup of tea but have found i really like it and enjoy teaching little ones. I actually get more bored teaching good intermediates/advanced skiers who either know it all or convince themselves they are rubbish and will never get better reeling off a litany of excuses prior to each run.... Beginners are keen and it is rewarding doing a good job with them and seeing huge progress.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The reason I was inclinded toward CSIA is that I hold a (lapsed) CASI 1 card, which was the first formal snowboard tuition I had beyond initial dryslope lessons. I really enjoyed the starting from basic building blocks approach plus the diagnosis training was great as well as the technical standard of the trainers.

If the ski system were similar I could see that I'd get value from it and I'd know the course would be geared towards a fixed objective whereas on a punter course there would be a risk that non-homogenity would mean that we didn't all have the same objectives.

Take the point of why do the badge if I didn't want to teach.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy