Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Body Mechanics discussion

Poster: A snowHead
Instead of discussing geometry and carving how about talking about biomechanics and what the body can and cant do when skiing. As we have numerous medics on snowHead 's hopefully they can chip in along with a few people that like debating about "how skiing works".

I will kick off with an explanation on why I think doing braquage drills for upper/lower body separation can create bad habits.

Each lower joint has a range of movement. Sit at your desk and hold you shin still you can only move your ankle a few degrees back and forth. now hold your knee still you can move your foot about 10 degrees inward and 20 outward. now stand up and bring you knee up off the ground and swing your leg in and out keeping hip perfectly still...i can get about 60 deg out and 20 inwards.

so without twisting the upper body i recon my joints will let me move one leg outward around 80 degs, but the other leg will only move inwards 30 or so.

This will obviously vary with individuals but the principle i think holds for most skiers. If you wish to rotate the lower joint separately from the upper body using only the lower body you are constrained and by doing "full" 90 degree across the slope braquage you must twist the upper body which is not generally a good thing. so perhaps a better form of braquage is not to try to get to 90 deg across the fall line but do say 45 deg each side to ensure upper lower body separation by only moving the lower joints.

Discuss and please add any other thoughts with regards to body mechanics.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are two pivot points for separating upper and lower body: hips and waist. Most people use both their hips and waist when doing braquage drills, and it's possible to sweep the skis more or less 180º. The femur in the hip socket has, as you say, far less rotation available, so it's not possible to get the skis all the way from one side to the other, although using rotation in hip sockets-only for me is a much quicker way to change the skis' direction (in bumps, for example). A good exercise to focus on using rotation from the hips only is to hold a ski pole horizontally in both hands and push it so that it rests across your pelvis at hip level. Then do a braquage drill, but make sure that the ski pole does not have any rotation.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, skimottaret, Did your instructor courses give advice on what to do with skiers that have joint mobility problems? I have quite restricted knee and hip (1) movement and have really struggled with some exercises.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, Interesting post. As a fairly new skier I've been told numerous times, by people with a lot more experience than me, that I should 'keep my upper body facing down the fall-line'. This details pretty well why I think that's just about impossible for a learner, when skiing wide zig-zags across the fall-line.

I guess one argument for the practice sessions might be to try and increase the range of motion in the joints? (One for the doctors and physios?) Any improved mobility might then help with technique in turns. However, there does seem an obvious risk of ingraining bad habits of body rotation, as you point out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret,

and then there is the question of how much counter you really want to ski with.... Except for doing a hockey stop and those pivot slips that Vail Sno Pro is doing I'm trying to think of other times I'd want as much counter as he develops at skis perpendicular to fall-line...

Surely it is a higher priority for most folks to learn to use appropriate counter than to learn to isolate femur rotation in hip socket so they can do those drills well?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, little tiger has a good point. In the CSIA/CSCF, we have gone away from "forced" seperation, to "natural" seperation. In a nutshell, create seperation with the femur/hip socket as much as you can, and then if you still want to turn those skis further round, the hip (waist) as rob@rar alluded to has to rotate.

(However for the purposes of instructor exams, there are still quite a few old school examiners out there who want to see only femur rotation and zero hip/waist rotation).

This is kinda linked into counter, and tiplead (!) as well.

The days of deliberately creating counter should be well gone, and counter should be as a result of natural seperation.

However, braquage, done correctly, is still an excellent (high level) drill to free up those muscles and ligaments, plus you need that mobility when you are doing say short radius turns, and bumps, as any unwanted rotation (hips upwards) will be inefficient.

The other benefit of braquage, is, edging. The big thing at the momrnt is "pivoting to create edge angles" (another highly contraversial topic).

So to summarise my thoughts on braquague - It is an exceedingly useful drill, but only if you have the correct goals and outputs in mind.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobMcQ wrote:
skimottaret, Interesting post. As a fairly new skier I've been told numerous times, by people with a lot more experience than me, that I should 'keep my upper body facing down the fall-line'. This details pretty well why I think that's just about impossible for a learner, when skiing wide zig-zags across the fall-line.

If you are doing short-radius turns directly down the piste it is a good idea to keep you upper body facing more or less in the direction that you are travelling in. But if you are doing long-radius turns (wide zig-zags across the fall line) is is better for your upper body to be square to your skis. The trick is to be able to have a range of movement in your upper body (relative to your lower body) available to you and to use it as appropriate. Novice skiers often do not have that range of movement, and that is something that needs to develop as their skiing improves.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, skimottaret, Did your instructor courses give advice on what to do with skiers that have joint mobility problems? I have quite restricted knee and hip (1) movement and have really struggled with some exercises.

Not specifically, at least not during the introductory level courses I've done. The emphasis is to work around any particular problems the client has, so if a lack of mobility means a certain drill or exercise isn't going to work well there's normally another approach which you could take.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight wrote:
The big thing at the momrnt is "pivoting to create edge angles" (another highly contraversial topic).

As much as I hate to raise controversy, what's this?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger wrote:
Surely it is a higher priority for most folks to learn to use appropriate counter than to learn to isolate femur rotation in hip socket so they can do those drills well?

I agree; but I think there is a lot of value in skiers knowing where they can get a point of rotation in their body and being able to control it. Once you have developed that skill you are able to apply it in appropriate ways.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, you really want to raise this??!! Wink

A few schools of thought, amongst others:

1. Edging is all about lateral movements, and tipping. Therefore no rotary movements should be patterned. Ever.
2. Edging is all about lateral movements, starting with the ankle, to set up the kinetic chain, but to create the large angles, you need to rotate/pivot your femurs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight wrote:
... but to create the large angles, you need to rotate/pivot your femurs.

Sort of dropping your knees into the turn (by rotating femur) to squeeze an extra bit of angle out of your lateral movement?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
little tiger wrote:

I agree; but I think there is a lot of value in skiers knowing where they can get a point of rotation in their body and being able to control it. Once you have developed that skill you are able to apply it in appropriate ways.

At what point in an average development do you think they need to start to develop this skill?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Sort of dropping your knees into the turn (by rotating femur) to squeeze an extra bit of angle out of your lateral movement?

Kins sorta yes, but some schools insist that that is tipping, not rotary, as you aren't "rotating" or pivoting the skis Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
little tiger wrote:

At what point in an average development do you think they need to start to develop this skill?

Tricky question! At a guess I'd say the point at which they become aware of upper and lower body separation in general, and begin to have control of it. At that stage being made aware that there are two points of rotation (femur/hip and waist) I think would be helpful. I wish I'd been more aware of this at an early stage in my skiing as it's only fairly recently I've become aware of it.
latest report
veeeight wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Kins sorta yes, but some schools insist that that is tipping, not rotary, as you aren't "rotating" or pivoting the skis Wink

Apart from possible arguments about semantics it seems fairly obvious to me. Knees don't (or at least shouldn't) bend sideways very much, so the only way to get your knee into the turn is to rotate your femur in it's hip socket. Hey presto, more edge angel from a rotary movement!
snow report
rob@rar, thus pivoting to create edging Wink But there are definitely race gurus out there that don't allow their athletes to do any braquage at all.
ski holidays
veeeight, Not the ones I know.... canadian provincial coach, italian national team coach etc etc .... I've done my share of these things with those guys...
ski holidays
Quote:

Knees don't (or at least shouldn't) bend sideways very much, so the only way to get your knee into the turn is to rotate your femur in it's hip socket. Hey presto, more edge angel from a rotary movement!

knees dont like being bent sideways but they can easily rotate the shins and this foot steering action is quicker than femur steering IMO...
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, do you adequately warm up prior to skiing or attempting movement exercises? I have arthritis and find that unless i am warmed up i really struggly with hip and knee movement exercises...

if there is a restricted movement you might need to find a compensation through moving other joints. Not everyone has high levels of flexability and the advice is work with what you have..
snow conditions
little tiger, veeeight,
Quote:

So to summarise my thoughts on braquague - It is an exceedingly useful drill, but only if you have the correct goals and outputs in mind.

I agree with both of your earlier posts. counter should be more of a consequence of turning as opposed to a deliberate action during most turns. But when in narrow gullies, in bumps counter is a useful tool. my concern with pivot slips is that too many try to overdo it and end up swinging their upper bodies around instead of seperating.

I would add to rob@rar's comments though and say there are 3 points of rotation not just 2, with foot steering being an important component in addition to hip and waist steering. I thinks lots of people tend to only use femur steering and forget about foot steering. One drill i have been doing this year is pure foot steering to improve quickness in turns as i was told my roatry skills are rubbish and need work. This has really helped me get on the edges earlier in phase 1 of turns by have better feel for the skis when they are flat.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, IIRC Fastman has a buddy with a fused ankle who apparently skis at a pretty high level... You might want to see if he can shed any light on this stuff... Failing that find an instructor with some training in disabled skiing? I know many of our guys take Disabled course to make the ISIA second discipline requirement... in USA this is not very prevalent... and the Disabled schools seem more separate and less integrated...
latest report
skimottaret, ummmm I'm not of that school of thought re counter... I just think you need to learn to use appropriate counter... Getting all hung up on femurs in hip sockets does not seem the best way to focus on this IMHO - and remember I did spend many many many runs skiing with hands on knees/hands on hips/poles strapped around butt/etc etc etc in order to improve awareness of body position and learn separation...

Actually I think I improved a lot when Fastman taught me to create early counter rather than sit and wait for it to "just happen"..... That is another controversial one though!!! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, LT's post reminded me that I skied with a guy this season who had one foot that splayed outwards about 20 or 30 degrees after a very bad footy injury. his knee got sore when skiing but he manged to pass the Eurotest in that condition so the body can definitely compensate to stiff or misaligned joints. snowHead

little tiger, hmmm so you recon that creating counter as opposed to counter being a natural occurrence during skiing? I personally think we should counter a bit to initiate turns and that this can happen through projecting the body across and forward into the next turn whilst separating the upper and lower body.

Quote:

The days of deliberately creating counter should be well gone, and counter should be as a result of natural seperation.

veeeight, I agree we don't want to radically twist our upper bodies way around to make a turn but what is "natural separation"?
snow report
skimottaret, umm, hard to put into words, but when observing with a good eye, you can tell if a person has reached the end of their femur rotational limit or not. Watching Vail Sno Pro in the animated .gif above he has got an excellent range of femur rotation, before his hips start coming around.

Natural separation is evident when it is created as a result of the legs turning under the body, and not the body twisting (countering) first.

Here's the lovely Deirdre performing the Central Theme, but in her snowplough and plough parallel, she is displaying ZERO separation (and even rotating on some of her R turns Wink ) - some natural separation is shown when she gets to the parallel stage.

http://youtube.com/v/WFX7Cr3giXk

And someone with *superb* separation: Very Happy

http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=RB-Ski-Classic-Short-Radius-Turns

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 5-06-08 22:19; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Quote:

Natural separation is evident when it is created as a result of the legs turning under the body, and not the body twisting (countering) first.

okay, but when you are initiating a new turn by crossing over and forward dont you in effect create some counter? may be semantics about chicken and egg but i think this does create some counter... same as when you see racers drive their inner shoulders forward to get around gates, that is creating counter, no?...
snow report
Ahhhhhh..... but in modern slalom, you may have observed that the counter *point* has risen higher over the last few years, so in that instance they are countering with their upper back and shoulders, however, everything below the waist is still working as normal.
snow conditions
Whoo Hoo, when did this start? Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, fair enough on SL but i was thinking more of a GS type turn.
ski holidays
Mind Mechanics. Cool

http://youtube.com/v/1r6gIBCMVLI
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
veeeight, fair enough on SL but i was thinking more of a GS type turn.

I've got to nip out now, but it's also pretty much the same for GS, the majority of the gate clearing is done with the upper back and shoulder, leaving below waist pretty much the same as before.

As for the transition, the across and forward, I'm not sure what you mean here, in the transition, at the point at which your skis are flat, you should be square on to the skis. No counter at that point.
snow report
what about the back? safe and unsafe motions for the spine

SAFE: flexion extension front to back and rotational top/bottom
UNSAFE: tilting sideways!!!

i recently heard that there are 2 independant instructors in the US being sued right now for teaching an exercise involving an unsafe motion for the spine, there federation [PSIA] won't back them as ''they weren't taught to teach that drill'' they claim they were taught to teach it but not by the PSIA
ski holidays
Quote:

the majority of the gate clearing is done with the upper back and shoulder, leaving below waist pretty much the same as before.

thats probably fair enough..
snow conditions
This is a pretty good braquage sequence, I'd say 7.5 out of 10...... Smile

http://youtube.com/v/w63-yma3M_Q
ski holidays
veeeight, Piste is Past, Freeride, who want's t ski the piste?
ski holidays
skimottaret, excellent topic. Seems there's always a lot of question in regard to counter. First, consider it's purpose. Counter, combined with a forward posittion of the CM pronates the outside foot. That directs the pressure on that foot to the big toe side, which serves to positively engage the inside edge of the outside ski,,, exactly what we want. For that reason alone, establishing early counter is very helpful.

Another purpose is balance related. To stay balanced on the outside ski we often need to move our Center of Mass toward the outside ski. We do this by bending our body toward the outside of the turn at various joints. We call it angulation. Lateral flexion at the waist, and in the spine, has a limited range of motion, so we can only move our CM laterally a minimal amount via that manner. By countering our hips and upper bodies such that we face toward the outside of the turn, we can flex forward and move our center of mass further in the direction of our outside foot. This is because our forward flexion range of motion at the waist is much more than our lateral flexion range of motion. The more we counter, the further outside we can move our CM.

At low edge angles, this is not a crucial need, as the need for angulation grows as we increase how high we tip our skis on edge (called edge angle). Thus, when steering turns at low edge angles, little counter is required. Speed also plays a role in how much angulation is needed, as does your skis sidecut. At the same speed and edge angle, a ski with a smaller turning radius (more sidecut) will carve a sharper turn, thus producing more turning forces, and requiring less angulation to stay in balance. Different body types too plays a role in how much angulation is needed to maintain balance.

So,,, put it all together and determining how much counter is needed can get very complicated. Add to that, many different degrees of counter can be used by the same person with equal success, depending on how much you flex within that countered position. This shows very clearly on lthe WC, where skiers will show a variety of countered states, yet all perform at a World class level. The amount you counter can very much be up to personal discretion. In fact, part of my teaching is encouraging people to explore different states of rotation, and varying those states as they turn,,, just to gain comfort and versatility on their skis.

As far as when to initiate counter,,, as an ideal I encourage an early establishment, so as to create outside foot pronation, which will solidly engage the new outside ski early in the turn. That early counter is established in the manner skimottaret suggested. As you go through the transition, you extend the new outside (old inside) leg, which moves the hips and CM forward. As you do that, you drive the new inside hip forward, which creates the early counter. It does not have to be a drastic amount created early. Just a slight forward drive of the new inside hip will create all the counter you need to pronate the foot. From there you can add more as needed as you go through the turn and increase your edge angle.

You will see expert skiers (WC skiers) sometimes appear to go through the transition and into a turn actually rotated downhill. This is called an anticipated position,,, or "anticipation". Pay close attention to whether their transition into the new turn is arc to arc, or pivoted. While sometimes the anticipated position is a result of a delay in negating the strong counter from the previous turn (called skiing into counter), often there is a pivot involved in the transition, and the anticipation is being used to help power that pivot.

Which gets me to one final idea I need to share. Learning skiers who are still at the steering or low edge carving stage can be ill served by trying to use too much counter. At this level little angulation is needed, and using too much counter can put the skier in an anticipated position that actually encourages a pivoted transition. At the intermediate level a pivot is a common flaw that needs to be overcome,,, not encouraged even further. Squaring the stance such that only the minimal counter needed to pronate the foot, and maintaining that stance through the duration of the turn, will help promote a cleaner and more subtle entry into the new turn, while putting the skier in a more comfortable and functional stance from which to execute quality steering.
snow report
Quote:

you drive the new inside hip forward, which creates the early counter. It does not have to be a drastic amount created early.

I hadnt thought that getting forward and across "creates" counter as i usually think about it more as a postive way to transition, speeding up edge change and getting on the fronts of the skis early. Interesting that you point out the creation of counter as a good way to engage the edges early, it certainly feels that way to me when things are going right in my skiing.

Im not sure, but it also sounds slightly linked to waist steering in try to get the feet to pronate.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

you drive the new inside hip forward, which creates the early counter. It does not have to be a drastic amount created early.

I hadnt thought that getting forward and across "creates" counter as i usually think about it more as a postive way to transition, speeding up edge change and getting on the fronts of the skis early.

By itself, getting forward does not create counter. It's very possible to project the pelvis forward at the beginning of a turn, yet keep it rotationally square to the direction your skis are pointing. It's also very easy to stay back seat and swing the pelvis into counter for a new turn, never coming forward. The two (forward and counter) are separate movements that need to be managed individually, then melded together into a single fluid transition movement. In fact, altering one (the rotation or the fore/aft), then remelding into a new form of transition movement is an excellent means of developing skier skill, versatility, and awareness.

Quote:
Interesting that you point out the creation of counter as a good way to engage the edges early, it certainly feels that way to me when things are going right in my skiing.

Yes, the pronation effect is something that is not widely known or understood. It is rooted in the principle of gait mechanics. What we are trying to do is incorporate a movement pattern that happens when we walk. As we take a step, we land on a foot that initially will be aft weighted and supinated (weight on outside of foot), with our pelvis rotated away from that foot. As we move to step again our weight moves forward on that stance foot, our pelvis becomes countered to the stance foot, and our weight moves to the inside of the foot (pronation). By recreating that movement sequence in skiing we are using pronation to hyper engage the inside edge of the outside ski.

Conversely, if we remain aft and rotated (or even to a degree square) the foot tries to supinate as it does in walking, and flatten the ski to the snow. We must struggle more to keep it on edge and engaged with the snow. And yes, it is very easy to feel this stuff happening on the snow,,, especially if you know to look for it.

Quote:
Im not sure, but it also sounds slightly linked to waist steering in try to get the feet to pronate

Only slightly. According to the current definition of Waist Steering, which I formulated and penned for Modern Ski Racing, Waist Steering is a skill that involves tapping the rotational properties of the core, and using those properties to either transfer power to the skis, or just manage rotational positions in a manner that does not transfer forces to the skis. Those rotational positions include a full range, from heavily rotated, to heavily countered. All the positions we at some point will use in high level skiing.
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
This is a pretty good braquage sequence, I'd say 7.5 out of 10...... Smile

http://youtube.com/v/w63-yma3M_Q

Out of interest what's do you reckon he needs to do to lift to a '10' ?
ski holidays
You could have a go at some analysis? Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy