Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EJ Flight to Innsbruck from Liverpool

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm arranging a long weekend for a group from work. Last year we went to GVA from L'pool on a Thursday night, returning Sunday night, 3 full days ski. Early Jan.

Might do the same this year, but also considering L'pool to Innsbruck. Does anyone remember the flight times from last year? Do they fly out thursday evening / back sunday evening?

If we do go to Innsbruck, we are considering the Arlberg area. Any suggestions for a resort? With S/C or B/B accom?

Good intermediate piste skiers, prob 6 of us.

Needs to be walkable to slopes with skiboots on. Also needs to have a good selection of bars. Plus - not too expensive!

Thanks,

SM
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shockingmoment, the certainly had a flight on Thurs, but I'm not sure that it was evening. Certainly when I used it (INN-LPL) it was mid afternoon, and I think the LPL-INN leg was first.

I wouldn't book anything until EJ release details. Last winter was the 1st time they've run this route, so I guess thay will look at passenger take up before they decide whether to keep it the same.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shockingmoment, look on easyjet website under timetable, I'm guessing the winter schedule listed on there is last years as next year yet to be announced (but could serve as a guide)

Liverpool–Innsbruck – winter
Liverpool to Innsbruck
Travel Day Flt No. Dep. Arr.
Tu,Th 7097 11:55 15:10 7098 15:45 17:00
Su 7097 10:50 14:05 7098 14:40 15:55

Innsbruck to Liverpool
Tu,Th 7098 15:45 17:00
Su 7098 14:40 15:55
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shockingmoment wrote:
I'm arranging a long weekend for a group from work. Last year we went to GVA from L'pool on a Thursday night, returning Sunday night, 3 full days ski. Early Jan.

Might do the same this year, but also considering L'pool to Innsbruck. Does anyone remember the flight times from last year? Do they fly out thursday evening / back sunday evening?

If we do go to Innsbruck, we are considering the Arlberg area. Any suggestions for a resort? With S/C or B/B accom?

Good intermediate piste skiers, prob 6 of us.

Needs to be walkable to slopes with skiboots on. Also needs to have a good selection of bars. Plus - not too expensive!

Thanks,

SM

You will have a BIG problem trying to find weekend or long weekend accommodation in any Arlberg or Silvretta resort. The owners only rent Sat to Sat. If the owners let the rooms for the weekend they loose the revenue of 2 full weeks bookings.
The Arlberg & Silvretta do not market themselves as weekend resorts. Only the Germans who can travel by car come for the weekend and they stay way out of town.

Also, Innsbruck Airport in January flights are frequently redirected to Munich,Stuttgart or even Milan because of bad weather.

Arlberg & Silvretta are not cheap.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 5-06-08 13:12; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, I take it your glass is half empty ?.................................
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You might struggle to find long weekend accom in a big name resort like St Anton, Lech, Zurs or Ischgl, but in the smaller resorts outside of these it should be fine (plus cheaper than the big ones). I would say book flights as soon as you can for bargains, but leave accommodation to nearer the time. That way providers will have given up holding out for Sat-Sat bookings.

If it were me, I would be looking at the Montafon Valley, or perhaps Serfaus/Ladis/Fiss, as both offer quite a big ski area on one pass. As a different kind of holiday, you could stay in Innsbruck and ski a different resort each day using the local bus service.

There are sometimes problems landing at Innsbruck in bad weather, but not enough to make it a bad choice IMO.

D
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn't there a cable right out of Innsbruck itself to access some seriously steep stuff over the town?
I'm fairly sure I read a review of it in a book I have somewhere. Reviewer talked about riding the tram or bus to get there along with all the regular folks in their office attire going to work.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, there is a bus/tram which takes you to the access point for the Nordpark, which is a smallish but quite steep area, and another going up to Igls for the Patscherkofel, which is a slightly bigger area. There are also however local buses to all of the resorts around the city like Axamer Lizum, etc.

Depends on what type of hol you want though, the 'ski-city-break' doesn't suit everyone, although I quite like it for a change sometimes. However, there are loads of 'proper' resorts within striking distance of Innsbruck which would offer the more holiday type atmosphere and would be great for a long weekend.

D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shockingmoment, If it's early Jan and your group is prepared to be dispersed across several accommodations then I think you'd be OK in St Anton, although you won't be able to book it until probably 2 weeks or so before you go ... as Stanton says hotels in the Arlberg are very much Sat-Sat only. But low season you'll prob be OK.

Also consider staying slightly out of town, i.e. stay in Kappl to ski in Ischgl (OK not Arlberg, but good from Innsbruck) etc, not a major inconvenience and will also save a few quid. Solden also worthy of consideration. All depends what you're after, certainly not snubbing Ski Amade, just never been there and apres not up to ut for our group.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your flying to Innsbruck why not just stay & ski around Innsbruck

http://www.ski-innsbruck.at/

The nightlife is great in Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the comprehensive replies folks.

If the return flights are as last year, then perhap Innsbruck is not for us. A 3.15pm return precludes a sunday afternoon ski. We'll wait and see, hopefully tomorrow.

Plus - could someone advise the general degree of difficulty for the area? One of the group has been told that its more an 'experts / advanced' type of resort (St Anton I think) and he's been put off a bit by this!

Just want to be able to swoop when the flights 1st come out!

Thanks for the accom comments - we generally wait till last minute and try and get a deal. Usually fail badly at this!

Thanks again

SM
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shockingmoment, from my experience, the comments about advanced/expert areas in this region, mainly refer to the fact that advanced/expert terrain (especially off-piste) is more 'available' here than in some other parts of Austria. I know many people here only seem to refer to St Anton as expert because of the off-piste opportunities, I don't think that necessarily means it is not suitable for intermediates. I haven't skied St Anton myself, but I know a lot of people less experienced than myself have done so I wouldn't let it put you off, if as you say your group is 'good intermediate'.

I myself said that Ischgl might not be the best place to go as a complete beginner only because the lift pass is more expensive than some others, and a complete beginner wouldn't get the most out of the massive area, when they could learn on a local hill for a lot less money. But that doesn't mean you can't learn there, it's just that it might not be the best value.

However, you said you're a group of good intermediate piste skiers so there is absolutely buckets of scope in the region for a group like yours. I would personally highly recommend Ischgl for a group like yours, although as said above, you will struggle to get short break accom booking this early.

One thing to remember in some of the places like St Anton and I think also Lech is that some of the pistes have been re-categorised as I think 'high alpine ski routes' or somesuch, and I think it means they will be avy protected but not necessarily pisted or patrolled (someone local can confirm/elaborate), so that is something to consider, but not a reason not to go there, it just might affect how you navigate around the area.

Just my thoughts and some may disagree, but I think that the advanced/expert thing is more that there is that kind of terrain in the region, not that there is nothink suitable for intermediates or beginners.

I think your approach is right tho - get the cheap flights now and then leave accom till much later.

D
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
St Anton is perfectly enjoyable by intermediate skiers. The pistes however are fairly busy. There are few actual black runs due to the dedicated ski iteniaries which I can't spell. Lech/Zurs is a very enjoyable ski area. An advance d intermediate would enjoy the Zurs/Leech run which is not a piste but again an iteniaire. When we were there it was part pisted anyway. Whether the Arlberg is great for a long weekend I can't comment. I do know despite reputation for priceiness that LEch & St Anton were far better value for food on the mountain than most well known French resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again folk - no flights yet though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy