Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking in Paris

Poster: A snowHead
Stopping off in Paris next month on the way South, the kids want to go up the Eiffel tower
and see some Chic Paris shops ( rolling eyes )
It's a while since I have been, is there easily found parking near the Eiffel tower just for an hour or two?
I presume they still have parking meters and the Paris equivalent of NCP?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This site is useful

http://www.parkingsdeparis.com/download.php

You can search by arrondisement. Are you staying in Paris itself? If so the hotel may have parking and if not why don't you take the metro?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mouth, No way Hose A, just passing through, my bank balance couldn't cope with those 3 allowed to shop Laughing
staying just to the South (can't remember where!)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 2-06-08 13:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, search on the 7th arrondisement which is where tour eiffel is. Looks like car parks quite close. If you had been there few days earlier could have met upwith me and Van!! What a shop we would have had!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, ... Haven't parked in Paris for a long time .... by choice .. Toofy Grin ... so can't help. SatNav will help in situ and you will be able to get information from the AA / RAC etc websites.

Do check that you have an adequate 'Fire' insurance aspect to your motor insurance policy ..... Laughing

Also it might be worth checking if you have to advise your insurer that you are taking your vehicle abroad. Up to renewal this year, my policy covered me fully Comprehensive for up to 90 days any one trip, driving in Europe and whatever the basic insurance requirement of the Country thereafter. Now this has been reduced to 30 days. I must inform the insurer that I am taking the vehicle abroad. If I need anything in excess of 30 days I can add on at a cost of about £12 per 30 days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Couldn't you just park it outside a french hairdresser's saloon?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC, Thanks for the reminder I will double check, I'm with Zurich who automatically cover fully Comp. in France.

Mouth, Can't do it sooner as M is at UKSA in the Isle of Wight until late on Friday and will be bringing home a weeks worth of wet clthes, no doubt Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Do French hairdressers drive Saloon's wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, if you're staying anywhere near a station it's easier to do the centre of Paris by train/metro - and fun for kids who are accustomed to being chauffeured everywhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, They get the train to Toys R Us and other emporium's nearby in Soton wink Toofy Grin
(The Chauffer doesn't like hanging around in Southampton.)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
DB, Do French hairdressers drive Saloon's wink

They normally drive their boyfriends. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, if you are staying to the south then do the metro much easier. Part of the whole experience.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

staying just to the South (can't remember where!)

I don't want to generalise, but we had our car broken into in Evry - south of Paris. Make sure you leave you car empty, and (if that type of car) with the luggage cover open so it's visibly empty !

RER will take you into Paris. Waaaaay better than driving. www.ratp.fr for info.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Driving around Central Paris is part of the fun of the trip, the girls have heard so many stories of when we were students in Paris plus I guess I'm looking forward to doing it again as well Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
Driving around Central Paris is part of the fun of the trip, the girls have heard so many stories of when we were students in Paris plus I guess I'm looking forward to doing it again as well Toofy Grin Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Just remember you said that as you try to navigate your way round the peripherique & arc de triumph......
I'm sure it wont have changed that much - only a couple of years since you were a student, isnt it??? Razz
snow conditions
genepi,
Quote:

only a couple of years since you were a student, isnt it

You are so kind wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Stopping off in Paris next month on the way South, the kids want to go up the Eiffel tower
and see some Chic Paris shops ( rolling eyes )
It's a while since I have been, is there easily found parking near the Eiffel tower just for an hour or two?
I presume they still have parking meters and the Paris equivalent of NCP?

there is an underground carpark at the ecole militaire (Vinci I think) and it is a pleasant walk to the Tour along the Champs des Mars. Otherwise you can park within a few meters of the Eiffel Tower on the side roads if you can find a place. It is metered parking but after a pikey invasion all the meters take prepaid cards these days. There are no wheel clamps or tow aways so you could simply not pay anything if you are stopping for a few hours.
ski holidays
1st lesson is to teach the kids not to take the car in 1st place.

Car is not necessary to travel.

They will benefit infinitely from this.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
davidof, Thanks David, thats rather what I was hoping to hear Toofy Grin
latest report
you should show them the Rendezvous film

There's a clip here

http://www.rendezvousdvd.com/image/clip/rendezvous.mov

Basically a film director got a fancy new camera mount, a Ferrari and an anonymous (very good) race driver and blasted though Paris at very high speed very early one morning

sorry so off-topic
snow report
boredsurfin, If you and the kids want a really good view of Paris, without the crowds, go to the Tour Montparnasse (Montparnasse Tower) www.tourmontparnasse56.com ;this is basically a huge office tower block. You take the lift to the 56th floor where there is a care and panoramic views of Paris. You can also go up a small staircase onto the roof (weather permitting). I think you get a better view from this tower than from the Eiffel Tower and you don't get the crowds.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, I pretty certain, there's no parking charge on a weekend for street parking. That's what my sister told me so either there's no charge or I got lucky.

Grand Lafayette and the place next door pour le grand magazin. Unless you're a masachist, metro it once you've parked somewhere.
snow report
Nickski wrote:
boredsurfin, I pretty certain, there's no parking charge on a weekend for street parking. That's what my sister told me so either there's no charge or I got lucky.

No charge on a Sunday.
snow report
jb1970 wrote:
I think you get a better view from this tower than from the Eiffel Tower and you don't get the crowds.

Yes but it is not the Eiffel tower though is it.

However good point about the crowds - for the Eiffel tower you should try and get there for 8.45am (it opens at 9am) if you want to take the lifts rather than walk.

For Montparnasse don't take too many bags with you as there have been strict security checks since 2001.

I think both the Montparnasse and Eiffel tower are too high, everything looks miniscule and you better hope it is not cloudy. The Concorde Lafayette at Port Maillot gives better views at only 30 stories. But if it is views you want why not just go to Montmartre ?
snow report
jd,
Quote:

Basically a film director got a fancy new camera mount, a Ferrari and an anonymous (very good) race driver and blasted though Paris at very high speed very early one morning

I think it was actually a Citroen with a Fezza sound track added later. Sorry to shatter any illusions - still a great piece of footage though...
snow report
i'd recommend the tour montparnasse at night when the city's lit
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy