Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen in summer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just about to book a weeks summer break in Mayrhofen in late June (cheap deal £170.00 per person B& B including flights and transfers). I fancy doing a day or two skiing (we are low intermediates) on the Hintertux glacier while there, along with some hiking and white water rafting. Maybe taking a private skiing lesson out there. Can anyone reccomend anyone for lessons while there, or any info and tips on the area re costs, walking, good bars and restauraunts etc any info would be most welcome.
Regards
Mark

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 12-06-08 12:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rookiemark, sounds lovely. Can't help on the glacier. We camped there many, many, years ago and the site brochure extolled the "festivities in the woodlands" to be found in the vicinity. Shades of large ladies, naked but for their garlands, dancing round a tree. It became a family catch-phrase. If it stops raining, you'll have a wonderful time. I imagine that the local tourist authorities have extremely good guides to walking and lots of marked footpaths.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rookiemark, Can't help with your questions, but I first went to the mountains in the summer of '77 on a family holiday to Zell-am-Ziller, just down the road from Mayrhofen. Went to Hintertux, and had my first taste of skiing. Over 30 years later, it remains one of my most memorable holidays. The Zillertal is beautiful in summer Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rookiemark, have a look at www.tux.at - all the info and webcams for the glacier are there. The Post Bus runs from Mayrhofen train station right up to the lift station at Hintertux. After the 2nd gondola you'll arrive at a big restaurant called the Tuxerfernerhaus... this is where the snowline should be. Another gondola from there gets you to the very top. Ther is a ski rental place at the tuxerfernerhaus so you don't need to lug gear up and down the lifts... this means you can try the walk down! £170 seems like a fine deal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rookiemark, It was very warm last week in Hintertux, it wasn't even freezing overnight. Unless it gets a bit colder it would be hard work for an intermediate skier.

At the start of last week you could still ski down to the top of the 1st gondola so there is still plenty of snow, the top layer is just a bit soft.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies guys.
pam w, I hope we dont encounter any of the "festivities in the woodlands" Shocked
Bode Swiller, Thanks for the link, BTW I thought £170.00 was good also. I was looking for a cheap week in the sun somewhere but didn't fancy the Costas, the Austria hol, turned out to be the cheapest/best option. What with the Euro rate at the moment.Booked with Crystal lakes and mountains.
rjs, Hopefully it will get a bit colder/drier up the mountain when we go. I think I will give it a go anyway. Have already skied in some pretty soft stuff already in my limited ski career so far.I skied back to resort in Sierra Nevada Spain in 17C at the end of March and it got very soft towards the bottom but I coped ok.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rookiemark,
White water rafting run from Mayrhofen well worth a go. Not your total white knuckle stuff but still good fun
Loads of walking options. We did a couple of guided walks as well as our own thing Guide took us routes we would not have found ourselfs and I think it was about £5 ish for the day. Can be book at tourist office or with reps
You should also be able to get a walking pass for the area that covers the lifts and busses which we found good value
Have fun Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garfield, if white knuckle rafting is your thing then you'll find the Lammeröfen is your thing!
The picture does not do justice, by the way!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where have you found it for 170 quid! flights alone cost 220 quid!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jj193, more than likely it will be lastminute.com - they usually have great deals with Inghams in the summer for what they call 'taste of Austria' deals.

Right now, for example, you can get b&b in Mayhrofen, inc. flights and transfers for a week in school hols for £149 p/p - nothing else to add except food and spends.

Providing you;re not expecting 4* luxury it's a great deal, have done it a couple of times, once to Niederau and once to St Johann. Both times family of 4, school hols, for less than £800 H/B !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jj193,

Got it from Crystal lakes and mountains, actually £168.00 per person 2* B&B. I looked at the deals with lastminute but the flights with crystal were better for us. Not too bothered about 4 or 5* luxury as long as we get a clean comfy bed and decent shower, most of the time we'll be out in the mountains or having an evening out round the bars and restauraunts. Been on a few hols where we have paid top dollar for upscale hotels and haven't enjoyed them any more than when we have used B&B's. We prefer to spend our extra cash on activities or the occasional gourmet meal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rookiemark, is that direct with Crystal, booking online ? Will take a look, although too late for us this year ....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes masmith, we booked direct with Crystal online.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy