Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WC 2013 - which resort would you choose?

Poster: A snowHead
The host of the Alpine WC 2013 is to be announced today. Probably the toughest competition ever.

Beaver Creek/Vail (US),
St. Moritz (CH)
Cortina d'Ampezzo (ITA)
Schladming (A)

Which one would be the right place?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not Cortina, surely, does it have the slopes?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not Schladming as it could put up the prices in the Ski Amade, and I was happy with €3 for a large beer Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

CAPE TOWN, South Africa – With the final FIS council vote 24 hours off, it is crunch time for the four alpine World Championship bid candidates.
Four major resorts are vying for the 2013 event, which will be awarded on the basis of a vote by the 17-member FIS council here on Thursday afternoon.
Contending for the honor are the United States with Beaver Creek/Vail, Austria with Schladming, Italy with Cortina d’Ampezzo and Switzerland with St. Moritz.
Who’s going to win is anyone’s guess and while rumors run rampant, conventional wisdom indicates that the race is between Schladming and Beaver Creek/Vail.
“You just don’t know how you are doing,” bemoans Greg Johnson, a member of the Colorado resort bid team and chief of race at the annual Birds of Prey event. “We found that out in Miami when we thought we had enough votes and wound up with three or four.” Beaver Creek/Vail’s bid for the 2009 Championships failed in Miami as Val d’Isere took the honors.
This year’s Beaver Creek/Vail bid is in sharp contrast to the failed effort in Miami.
“We learned we have to be humble," said Ceil Folz, who heads the bid effort and is president of the Vail Valley Foundation, which will run the Championships if the bid is successful.
Folz muses about U.S. chances for victory. She feels the bid is competitive but doesn’t know if it will be enough. “Some associations have an influence on their council member,” she said. “Others have no influence on what their council member does.”
Schladming, considered the frontrunner, last held the World Championships in 1982. In the heart of ski mad Austria, the resort annually holds one of the best attended events on the alpine World Cup circuit and is easily accessible to fans, a factor that will not be overlooked by the FIS council.
While St. Moritz is considered to be a long shot, the glitzy resort has mounted a strong bid. Fresh of its highly successful 2003 World Championships, St. Moritz is rumored to be looking more at the 2015 Games.
Italy’s Cortina d’Ampezzo, which hosts the premiere women’s downhill on the women’s circuit, is thought to be a long shot. The resort has not held a major event since the 1956 Olympic Winter Games.

http://www.skiracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6552&Itemid=2

Haven't seen anything in the press here so that probably means Beaver Creek/Vail (US) will get it.

http://www.skiracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6549&Itemid=2
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

CAPE TOWN, South Africa – With the final FIS council vote 24 hours off, it is crunch time for the four alpine World Championship bid candidates.

Quote:

Beaver Creek/Vail’s bid for the 2009 Championships failed in Miami as Val d’Isere took the honors.

Great to see the FIS supporting the snowsports industry in the well known resorts of Miami and Cape Town!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beaver Creek is probably the best resort for permanent home of the world champs - soulless enough to ensure that everything runs smoothly and deluxe enough to ensure that the bureaucrats feel pampered.

I notice all the contenders seem like relatively recent hosts however except for Cortina (the heritage vote).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whose 'turn' is it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:

I notice all the contenders seem like relatively recent hosts however except for Cortina (the heritage vote).

I'm not sure that 31 years previously is "relatively recent", and that is what it would be in 2013 for Schladming.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney,

In 5 years time it would be 31 years, why not just say 26 years ago?

Schladming has other things going for it.

Quote:

Schladming (AUT)
— Host of the 1982 World Alpine Ski Championships, the 1997 World Junior Championships and 34 FIS World Cup events since 1973,
— Schladming hosted the 1993 Special Olympics World Winter Games
— The Schladming Winter Sports Club will celebrate its 100-year anniversary in 2008.
— Hosts a World Cup men’s night slalom that routinely draws nearly 50,000 fans
— All competition sites are ready

http://www.skiracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6549&Itemid=2
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My hear says Schladming but the sick sense of humor in me would love to see it hoste in a town where the off licence is called Beaver Lliquors! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St Moritz.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ordhan, goes down well too wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schladming for me!

Live text updates from FIS
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/schi/schladming2013/1305097/index.do

in german but translates okay via google
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beaver Creek
So the races are live in the evening UK time after work.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i'm going to shout S C H L A D M I N G has won Very Happy Smile Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
ski holidays
Tough on the Vail people - that will be seven alpine championships in a row in Europe, 2001 - 2013.
Having said that, can you justify holding it in a country which does not even televise the sport? (Even in a season when their racers take both overall titles?)
Austria is "Schi Nation Nummer Eins" and Schladming 2013 will of course be a huge party.
Having raced in four WC downhills in Schladming (83, 85, 88 and 90) I can testify that the course is a worthy challenge. Just look at the winners of those races: Resch, Wirnsberger, Zurbriggen, Piccard. The first-ever WC DH held there was also Franz Klammer's first-ever WC DH win, in 1973. The other winners there in the 70s were Crazy Canucks: Irwin and Read.
The men's downhill has not been used since 1990, so some course re-design will be required.
ski holidays
Ordhan, Nice thought, but not true Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy