Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone skied in Australia or New Zealand?

Poster: A snowHead
Might be heading out to Sydney in August and was hoping to get some skiing in seeing as I'm traveling that far! Anyone know anything about Australian or New Zealand resorts? Any reccommendations, tips etc?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was passing through Sydney a few years ago during August, and managed to get a long weekend of skiing in (despite it being 24 C in Sydney wink ). From memory it was pretty pricey, but you could get coach-trip packages that left on a Friday evening and returned on Sunday/Monday. The timings were a bit crazy (v little sleep involved), and it was all pretty basic (especially the rental kit), but worth a look if you're out there anyway Toofy Grin

I'm sure you can find loads of reviews of the skiing on-line...it wasn't great when I was there, but it was more skiing than I was going to get done in Kings Cross...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, Dont expect much . NSW >Thredbo can be good , Perisher is flat.
Victoria"s resorts
( mt buller,falls creek,mt hotham )are small .

Whatever if just like sking in Europe with hordes of UK skibums.

I really now know why Ozzy's come to ski/teach in Europe & North America Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 29-05-08 13:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
just like sking in Europe with hordes of UK skibums
give me that over a bunch of Flachlandtiroler who talk like they have throat cancer and feel the need to slip on the snow chains on the Munich - Salzburg Autobahn. Anyday rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your a decent skier, the club fields around Canterbury in NZ are amazing. Acessed by high speed rope tows which you clamp onto with a 'nut-cracker' attached to your harness. There are no mod cons, no grooming, no punters but a lot of untracked snow, cheap rates and friendly atmosphere. The most well known are probably Cragieburn and Broken River pictured bellow but there are many more.

See
http://www.brokenriver.co.nz/
http://www.craigieburn.co.nz/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice... I might check out Thredbo. To be honest, I'm not really expecting Les Trois Vallées or anything, it's just a good excuse to get an extra bit of skiing in!

Any excuse will do!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang wrote:
Quote:
just like sking in Europe with hordes of UK skibums
give me that over a bunch of Flachlandtiroler who talk like they have throat cancer and feel the need to slip on the snow chains on the Munich - Salzburg Autobahn. Anyday rolling eyes

Yeah but the Ozzys hate the Brits Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2000overdrive wrote:
Thanks for the advice... I might check out Thredbo. To be honest, I'm not really expecting Les Trois Vallées or anything, it's just a good excuse to get an extra bit of skiing in!

Any excuse will do!

Think more on the lines of a Czech or Slovak Ski area Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
2000overdrive wrote:

Any excuse will do!

Well, I've skied all over Europe including Kopaonik in Serbia once which was worth it for the price of beer alone(!) so I'll hope for something along those lines... but with loads of VB on tap! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
2000overdrive wrote:
stanton wrote:
2000overdrive wrote:

Any excuse will do!

Well, I've skied all over Europe including Kopaonik in Serbia once which was worth it for the price of beer alone(!) so I'll hope for something along those lines... but with loads of VB on tap! Very Happy

I,ll try to put some pics up of what it like in Thredbo & Perisher from September 1999.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thredbo is the pick and in August should be top-to-bottom (albeit lots of man-made). When the conditions are good, Thredbo is excellent as the terrain is pretty good - some really nice tree skiing. Weekends in August are busy-ish - hit the lifts early, but mid-week wil be quiet. Nice village too - good apres. And rug up too if the winds are up - straight off the South Pole ...

In NZ, club fields are wild if you're up to them. Treble Cone at Wanaka is the pick of the commercial resorts - some wonderful terrain there. Ruepahu on North Island has some really great terrain too, but weather can be very wild. And this year, the added fun of eruptions might be an interesting addition!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, the resorts are tiny.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
Yes, the resorts are tiny.

but the off-piste is all safe, so there's lots of places to explore.

And drink the microbrews - much better than VB!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, the Aussies hate the English! Love the rest of us
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv wrote:
stanton, the Aussies hate the English! Love the rest of us

Hey - I'm English!

And Australian ....
ski holidays
gortonator, do you have split personalities?
snow report
There are five big resorts (around 8,000 beds each) in Australia.
New South Wales
- Perisher Blue has over 50 shortish lifts, mostly T-bars
- Thredbo has 15 long lifts and a good town atmosphere
In Victoria the big resorts are
-Mt Buller which has 25 chairlifts, but as it's less than 3 hours from Melbourne (population 4 million) it gets a lot of day trippers. Bullers other problem is that cover is not good in a poor season.
- Falls Creek has the most reliable snow in Australia and a good variety of runs, but only 20% of its runs are "black runs" for expert skiers.
- Mt Hotham has lots of cruisey upper intermediate and advanced runs, its beginner ares are limited and mostly in unsheltered areas above the treeline.

There are also a number of smaller resorts. Probably the best of them is Mt Baw Baw east of Melbourne. It has 7 ski lifts, 1,500 beds and 3 cafes/pubs. Lift tickets are $A49, half the price of the big resorts.

Other small resorts include Ben Lomond (Tasmania), Charlotte Pass (NSW, difficult access only 4 lifts) and Selwyn Snowfields (NSW, no on mountain beds)

Post here or send me a message if you have any questions about skiing in Australia. Resorts, backcountry steeps or cross country touring. I do them all! Smile
snow report
While skiing in Japan and saw so many Australians so I asked a couple of them why they preferred coming to Japan. The reply was to them skiing in Japan was about 2 to 3 times cheaper.

Just checked Austalia's Thredbo day pass the asking price is AUD 95. This is Euro 55 at today's exchange rate

The Zermatt day pass costs only CHF 76 and that is Euro 47.

The real surprise could be after paying more than the the top price to find the snow and facilities at the bottom range. The Australian told me the poor snow condition I experienced in Japan would be regarded the best they could get in Australia.
snow conditions
My nephew loves snow and lives in Australia (Sydney) and says it's cheaper for him, and much better, to get a week's package to NZ than ski in Australia.
ski holidays
Mt Buller is the worst hill i've ever skied. I guess in the context of Australia it ain't bad.
snow report
2000overdrive, Send a private message to Little Tiger she is Australian and is back there now. she will be able to advise where would be best in relation to where you'll be, and will probably have some personal info on the conditions in various places. Very Happy She also knows about cheap places to stay!
snow report
Hi Bogong,

Bogong is good - you can trust his advice... but he has bumped an old thread up...
snow conditions
Hi Little Tiger!.
It's nice to see someone I know from www.forums/ski.com.au here. Smile
I don't think an 85 day old thread is that ancient! Anyway there was a fair bit of hearsay that was a little inaccurate in this thread, so I thought I'd clear a bit of it up.
snow report
arv wrote:
gortonator, do you have split personalities?

yep - depending on whether I'm upright or inverted wink
snow report
Good season in Thredbo I hear. Friends skiing there now in late August are making me very jealous.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy