Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski levels...??????

Poster: A snowHead
I suspect this has been done to death here, but it is so slow and boring lately, so bare with me.

So, generally, all things considered, should it take you what sort of skiing time on snow to make breakthroughs..?

A beginner is... Nil to 2 weeks..??

Lower intermediate.. 2 weeks to 5 weeks..??

Intermediate.. 5 weeks to 10 weeks, maybe more

Advanced intermediiate... 10 weeks to 20 weeks

Advanced 20 weeks to ...??

Expert...???

and then...??

It might be better to define what skills you have learned that then defines what level you are pitching at, but the above is a rough start, I think.
...or is it..?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT,
Quote:

bare with me

Thanks for the offer, but... Shocked

I don't think there is much correlation at all between time spent on snow and skill levels. Natural aptitude is important (I've been absolutely blown away by the recently posted videos of tinies snowboarding) age (both start age and actual age) and the amount, type and regularity of tuition experienced. Also, at the upper end of the scale, the dreaded plateau comes into play. All of which is another way of saying that I'm a crap skier, although I've done lots of weeks on snow. Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I vote that we delete the word intermediate from the skier's dictionary. It just means someone between complete rookie and clubracer/instructor/etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, Beginner = someone who has never skied.

Intermediate = pretty much everyone else.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, you must really be bored wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if you can get down a red surely you must be an intermediate Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Add another few weeks to it. Maybe 10?

Although I know of one snowhead who is advanced and has done a whopping 15 weeks!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops wrote:
if you can get down a red surely you must be an intermediate Laughing

Does your smiley imply that this is meant as a joke? If so, I don't get it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The more skiing you do the further down the scale you rate yourself. This isn't because you regress but your frame of reference changes due to the terrain you find yourself in, others you see skiing etc.

Thus you'll rarely get a British holiday punter rating themselves less than advanced intermediate because they can "do" reds but this isn't even scratching the surface of what it means to be "good" at skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't think time frames can even be a start, my father has had a bout 20 weeks of skiing and still wedges turns, it's just 20 weeks of ingrained bad habits!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
UK skiers have a high opinion of their skills at skiing. Internet skiers are the worst for this.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jonesj71 wrote:
UK skiers have a high opinion of their skills at skiing. Internet skiers are the worst for this.

Care for a saucer of milk with that?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Too many variables. And a serious lack of clear definitions...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

UK skiers have a high opinion of their skills at skiing

Would agree with this in general but then again could be worse could be the Russian approach of all the gear no Idea!

Witnessed a Russian family in a ski shop (Obviously first day in resort) Buying full ski out fits for hte week new skis all round (Saloman Aero X those platinum Volant ones and Some kind of skis with sparkls on them for the ladies and then seen the whole family on the nursery slope learning to snow plough the next morning!

I think the current scale is fine Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced but it is in relation to how people class themselves and the yard stick they are using to judge themselves by
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ok... I was bored, but ...it does make me think..

Of course, a young atheletic gung-ho sort of guy is gong to make good strides very quickly, and older more sedate approaches will add weeks, so the parameters aren't binding by any means. It would, or might be more useful to list a set of ski skills you can do... but then that isn't definitive either. Carving is seen as a huge goal... but what's that... ? setting the thing on edge for a lenght of the turn or a full lay-over..??

Then there are courses, which might have a vested interest in beefing up some levels, just as there are instructors who need repeat business.

FWIW, I think about 25 weeks on snow should make someone..who has worked at it... quite useful all round. And the more accomplished you think you are, only introduces more situations that you know you aren't so great in. Of course, you'll get down, but in what manner...and how much do you care? Sometimes, just to look at the tracks and the pitch is an achievement

I think skiing is a life-long obsession in that it will always be able to bite you... you'll take a step forward and a step back, but because it isn't always easy, makes us come back for more. You'd fall out of love with it pretty quick if you had cracked it completely...IMV

In that respect...much like golf...
snow conditions
Hurtle,

I DO think there is a correlation with time spent on snow... but you have to push things on...

25 weeks on blues isn't going to do much for your skiing..except give you confidence on blues. And if that is what you want then fine, but I wouldn't call that a typical approach. Maybe it is a typical approach for some people... but I don't know them.
ski holidays
25 weeks...

is that a week a year for 25 years?
or a dedicated few weeks a year for 5-10years, a week or 2 of which might well be a ski clinic?
or 2-3 seasons?
latest report
JT,
Quote:

but you have to push things on

Indeed, I was encompassing that in 'tuition.' Perhaps I should have said that there is some correlation between time spent and skill levels achieved, but it's not readily quantifiable and it's not the only criterion by a long chalk.
snow conditions
andy, excellent question.
ski holidays
JT, yes I agree that time on the slopes (but good productive time) can be a guide, but not everyone puts in the same effort.

If you have a like minded group of mates who all are ok at sport generally, then I think if one of them says that he/she has 10 or 20 or 30 days on snow then you can have a reasonable guess as to their general basic level of piste skiing.

Hurtle, i have encountered many a UK skier who judge themselves based upon the 'I can get down a red' bench mark.fatbob and jonesj71 seem to be on the same wave length and get it Laughing
latest report
andy, yes, good point, I think the assumption must be two/three weeks a year minimum from learning to ski, otherwise it is a pointless excercise
snow conditions
andy,

Typically 2-3 weeks a year, IMV... if you did two seasons and accrued 25 weeks...you'd be far further on, I'd say

If you did 1 week for 25 years...far further back.

Generally..IMV
snow conditions
rayscoops, well, a beginner would be unlikely to be able to get himself down a red and an advanced skier should be able to do better than 'get down' one. The inevitable conclusion is that someone who can get down a red, is an intermediate skier. It merely goes to show how meaningless the word 'intermediate' is. Maybe that was the joke?
ski holidays
Hurtle, yes, a joke, or irony maybe, but we all come across the skiers who call themselves intermediates but they can barely get down a red,

maybe ...... beginner = can do a green/blue (0 - 10 days). good beginner = can do a red with no style (10 - 20 days), low intermediate = can do a black with no style (15 - 25 days), intermidiate = can do a black and can do a red with style (20 - 30 days), good intermediate = can do a black with some style (25 - 40 days)
snow conditions
And, while still on p1, this has turned into the inevitable 'what's an intermediate skier?' thread! Smile
ski holidays
Hurtle, but surely that was the purpose of the thread? to grade and intermediate against time on the slope Laughing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
JT,
Quote:

but you have to push things on

Indeed, I was encompassing that in 'tuition.' Perhaps I should have said that there is some correlation between time spent and skill levels achieved, but it's not readily quantifiable and it's not the only criterion by a long chalk.

Do you really mean "by a long chalk" i.e. not by much or "by a long shot"?
ski holidays
Hurtle, well, avoid that road then...Laughing I am more interested in how people define themselves and what goals they have...and then how do they relate that to what others think.... To me, the difference in ski levels..after a certain point..comes down the speed...and then there is fitness which impacts on that ... but I am interested in how people would describe themselves if meeting a new set of potential ski buddies. If someone said I am an intermediate..that would mean nothing to me... if they said 25 weeks, that would mean more.. but get away from the definition of intermediates if you think this will bury the thread. 25 weeks in itself means..whatever, but once you speek to people more, then that 25 weeks can take on quite a bit of meaning.

And ..and... you can tell that reading about things skiing..like on here... can fill some people's vocabulary to some degree...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
JT,
Quote:

bare with me

Thanks for the offer, but... Shocked

I don't think there is much correlation at all between time spent on snow and skill levels. Natural aptitude is important (I've been absolutely blown away by the recently posted videos of tinies snowboarding) age (both start age and actual age) and the amount, type and regularity of tuition experienced. Also, at the upper end of the scale, the dreaded plateau comes into play. All of which is another way of saying that I'm a crap skier, although I've done lots of weeks on snow. Sad

Hurtle, There is unquestionably a correlation between time spent on snow and skill levels.

The more continuous practice you put in, the better you get.

But the reality is that, despite practice, roughly 80% of all humans will always be rubbish skiers, because of insufficient natural ability.

Just like soccer, skiing is a tricky sport that takes great leg control and balance. And most people don't have that gift. Most people spoon the ball over the bar, or pass it to the wrong person.

That's why snowboarding has become so popular. Become it is easier to master and you don't need to be a great athlete to look good on a single plank.

I recommend all plateau-skiers switch to boarding.
ski holidays
I think rather than talk about which colour of piste you can ski it is more useful to think of what sort of conditions you can happily handle. On a nice day on nice soft snow a lot of people would be able to ski pistes that they would find impossible when its really icy etc. There are also things like the busyness or width of the piste, good skiers should be able to cope with all these things and adapt their skiing easily. I found this year I could cope with different conditions (apart from proper ice) but moving between them took a bit to adapt my skiing style. In my opinion a good skier would be able to encounter piles of deep snow, ice etc. on one piste and move fluidly over all of them.
snow report
rayscoops,
Quote:

that was the purpose of the thread? to grade and intermediate against time on the slope

Oh. Was it?

DB,
Quote:

Do you really mean "by a long chalk" i.e. not by much

According to the OED, 'by a long chalk' means 'by far, by a long way.' You'll have to do better if you want join laundryman as my assistant. wink

JT, yep, speed, grace and an ability to adapt immediately to every kind of condition are things that characterize a good skier. Not me. (But I can, with a variable degree of grace, get down most black pistes/itineraries, whatever that may indicate.)

Whitegold, I can't comment on boarding, since I've never tried it, but otherwise I agree with you. Continuous practice is unquestionably helpful.
ski holidays
I've always found these to be a pretty good set of ability criteria:

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/about-the-course_group-and-skier-levels.htm

After 17 weeks the Advanced category is an accurate description of my skiing.
snow report
spyderjon, ah, well in that case, I'm advanced intermediate, which is what I've also been rated by two different SCGB reps. I've done more than 17 weeks, but not enough tuition, and I'm geriatric to boot. [As if anyone gives a sh#t.]
latest report
spyderjon, I have read the Warren Smith ratings, and wonder if all skiers who read this view the criteria in the same way. For example, he talks about freeride. Well there's Freeride Very Happy and the Shocked turn or die type of Freeride. Both are Freeride, who has the inclinometer?
latest report
JT, I don't know, but perhaps one day you can tell us how many years it takes to become an expert penalty-taker Laughing
snow report
Martin Bell, You just have to be German to be an expert penalty-taker. It is in their genes.
snow conditions
With that WS skier level scale, I could technically classify myself as either Intermediate or Advanced Intermediate. If I signed up for the course then I'd certainly choose the lower group. Much better to be upgraded if required than downgraded and look a fool.

What *is* good about that scale compared to others is that it does not suggest how many weeks you would have typically skiied to be at such and such level.
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
spyderjon, I have read the Warren Smith ratings, and wonder if all skiers who read this view the criteria in the same way. For example, he talks about freeride. Well there's Freeride Very Happy and the Shocked turn or die type of Freeride.

It does not matter.

Both will end up doing bracage on the Warren Smith course. Probably on the same bit of mountain.
latest report
[quote="Hurtle"]rayscoops,
Quote:

that was the purpose of the thread? to grade and intermediate against time on the slope

Hurtle, you naughty girl, you have refrained from quoting the beginning and end of my post to change it from a jokey question with a smiley to what seems to be a serious question ...... that you then answered?
Tut tut .....
snow conditions
Quote:

Both will end up doing bracage on the Warren Smith course

I've never heard that word before - what does it mean?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy