Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a thin ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Thought I'd buck the trend on the "how fat is good" thing I keep seeing whenever I pop into Snowheads!

My old piste skis are pretty much resigned to the bin after this season - their bases are more ptex than base material, and they're too short for me anyway.

What's good from this season that I can pick up on the cheap? My thinnest skis right now are 90mm and I'm perfectly happy with them as a crusing/charging/fun ski - I need carvers for instructing and being taught, they'll only see snow on the driest weeks otherwise.

I want something that won't kick my back bottom when I'm snowplowing around or just messing around, but solid and tracks well enough to go as fast as I dare down groomers. I'm 6'4" and 220lbs, and felt my 170cm 65mm carvers were really way too short for me.

Any recommendations on what to try and get on the cheap in the offseason?

Cheers,
Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think a lot of people who've tried them rate the Head Supershape Magnums - presumably you get a CSIA pro deal on Head. Not sure they'll be that cheap second hand though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll have a nose about
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, Fischer RC4 GS 175cm can't quite slalom but HUGE fun everywhere else.

[spam] mine may be available wink [/spam]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
People used to rate the RX8, that still the case?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried the RX8, it made me feel like I was skiing on a razorblade. Could of been a bad tune (was at the snowheads ski test) or whatever, but I just didn't think much to it at the time. "Twitchy" is the word I'd use to describe it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers SZK - did you go through with your bootfitting retirement by the way?

Masque, bit wary of going for anything race stock in the sense that I don't want it to beat me up when I'm not wanting to actually race around...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC, they're retail so not quite 'race stock' Twisted Evil Actually they're a nice ski that will do whatever you want on piste . . but will need effort and skill in powder. They're only available as an off-the-cuff comment as I've decided to keep my SX10s for frozen corduroy and push to improve my telemark skills.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stockli SC - good instructing ski I'm told
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, Hell yeah, i'm a consulatant now, pasta has only so many connatations!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Stockli SC - good instructing ski I'm told

To the archives!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well anything slalom and racy should do.

My stats: 6'1, 78Kgish
165 Racestock Stockli SL. nowhere near too short for me. I'd ski a 161, But that length is not available in racestock version (for obvious reasons)

Also have good experience with Atomic SL12 160/165, Nordica Dobermann SL 165. They differ slightly on characteristics, but in the end the're all good.

Could it be the feeling of them being too short is something you have to get used to? You say your skinnist ski is 90mm waist which tells me its 19-20 or even longer radius.
Slalom skis are a LOT more eager/easy to turn, thus feel very much shorter then what you're used to.
I'd say ski around a bit on the latest versions of those 65mm 170s and not expect them to be a skinny version of your fatties.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, my skinniest ski is my 65mm waisted carvers 13m radii carvers NehNeh I know how they ski. I want more stability when driving the shovels, and not have them feel squirrely. It might be that I'm used to a longer ski, but that seems a valid reason to want longer anyway....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski on Scott RCX (very similar in shape and flex to RX8 ) I have never seen anyone else ski on these and cannot understand why, I was set on buying RX8 and tried the 2 back to back and much preferred the Scott's as they do not chatter at all and I found the edge to edge more responsive.

But that's just my humble opinion and they aren't available anymore anyway.

Best advice buy what feels best for you after trying them out. I did and don't regret it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Head.

Or Fischer.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Head.

Or Fischer.

Here's someone that keeps up with ALL the latest product releases.
snow report
I recommend you a thin ski wink
ski holidays
Another vote for the Head Supershape Magnum Very Happy
latest report
DaveC wrote:
Well, my skinniest ski is my 65mm waisted carvers 13m radii carvers NehNeh I know how they ski. I want more stability when driving the shovels, and not have them feel squirrely. It might be that I'm used to a longer ski, but that seems a valid reason to want longer anyway....

GS skis are less squirrely, due to longer radius (close(r) to the fatties)
A Slalom 165cm 13m radius ski will be 15 meters at 180 if the same tip/waist/tail dimensions are used, it won't make the ski as stable as a 20+meter fat.
They don't even make "Slalom" racers at 180 Wink

A short radius ski is always going to be more nervous. Snow isn't always flat as a pool table, so it causes edge angle differences, which makes the ski search a bit, especially noticable when you have the ski flat, then it will search from left to right as the snow touches left or right edge. I almost Always ski on edge Wink
snow report
Ronald, my SX10s are short radius 14m but they're very narrow so they're solid as a rock at very high speeds, as some of you know Twisted Evil
latest report
We have some Volkl P20 SL 195s that you are welcome to make me an offer on.
latest report
Ski D'Lite Wild Strawberry yogurt.
latest report
 dt
dt
I'd go for Fischer Worldcup RC's. As far as quick, dependable and narrow-waisted on piste skis go I think that they, or Atomic SX/GS 12's are probably your best bets. I like the radius and grip of the RC's and find the atomics a bit skittish, but I think thats a personal thing- most of the guys I work with either favour atomics or fischers. One of my trainers skis on Atomic SX 12's, the other on RC's- neither would go near the others kit. I wouldn't go for stock GS skis- they are tremendous fun if the snow is flat and hard, but can be extremely hard work if you want to use them to teach. You'll struggle to get the edges to release when teaching swing turns, and they don't behave in off piste or bumps- ditto slalom stock skis, which will also squirrel if you try and keep them in a straight line. I don't find RX8's are stable enough at high speed, and they don't cut or carve as well as the RC's or SX/GS's, but they do make a good teaching ski for beginners/ lower intermediates, they're just not as much fun in your time off.
ski holidays
dt wrote:
I I wouldn't go for stock GS skis- they are tremendous fun if the snow is flat and hard, but can be extremely hard work if you want to use them to teach. You'll struggle to get the edges to release when teaching swing turns, and they don't behave in off piste or bumps- ditto slalom stock skis, which will also squirrel if you try and keep them in a straight line.

Ummm - I would not say I have trouble getting my Racetigers to release... Although with 0.5/3 tune they may be more demanding than a ski with more base bevel - I can change that though - although I cannot see why I would...
snow report
little tiger wrote:

Ummm - I would not say I have trouble getting my Racetigers to release... Although with 0.5/3 tune they may be more demanding than a ski with more base bevel - I can change that though - although I cannot see why I would...

a ski having the ability to release/slide is very different to it being easy...

Anyway, from searching around, Fischer RX9s sound pretty much exactly what I want. Shame they're almost impossible to find these days Confused There's a pair for 300e on Ebay but I was hoping to get cheaper than that...

Fischer Worldcup RC's are sounding pretty good though so far tho! dt did pretty much nail exactly what I'm looking for...
latest report
DaveC wrote:
Fischer Worldcup RC's are sounding pretty good though so far tho! dt did pretty much nail exactly what I'm looking for...

Wana pic of mine? wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
We have some Volkl P20 SL 195s that you are welcome to make me an offer on.

junior version, eh?
snow report
Masque wrote:
DaveC wrote:

Wana pic of mine? wink

Yeah, drop me a PM Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, hah hah, no, they're just Lady M's.

I also have some Rossi 7SKs (final incarnation I think??) in a 201 that I might part with for a very handsome price or a pair of 190 Rossi WC 9Xti with WC plates and 140 bindings that are definitely not junior skis and again would go to a high bidder...

Mind you the 9Xs aren't that thin...they do go quite fast though... Twisted Evil

(P.S. I'm only 5'6" and a mere 60kgs so keep that in mind...)
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Ronald, my SX10s are short radius 14m but they're very narrow so they're solid as a rock at very high speeds, as some of you know Twisted Evil

The skis I used at MSB race are 13 meters. I didn't seem to suffer from lack of speed either, did I ? Wink

They twiddle more then the GS's when flat on snow though. If you dislike that feeling, and don't want to keep 'em on edge then I can see why DaveC dislikes short turny skis
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
I also have some Rossi 7SKs (final incarnation I think??) in a 201 that I might part with for a very handsome price or a pair of 190 Rossi WC 9Xti with WC plates and 140 bindings that are definitely not junior skis and again would go to a high bidder...

I'll throw a pair of 205cm Rossi Ex's with Deflex and S900 16-22 bindings (skis raced in the World Cup/World Champs) into the mix. Slight dint in the Deflex plastic on one of the skis from a high speed impact with a kid on a Super-G training run. Don't even think about trying to turn these!
latest report
Ronald wrote:

They twiddle more then the GS's when flat on snow though. If you dislike that feeling, and don't want to keep 'em on edge then I can see why DaveC dislikes short turny skis

I do get the concept of these skis needing to always be on edge, but it's the shape of the turn a 13m radius ski forces on you that annoys me. I can make a ski turn on a tighter radius by skiing it/bending it, so that's fine. I'd rather have a ski more comfortable in blasting down anything vaguley pisted in big arcs than small slalom piddling turns (for lack of a better way of expressing it!)
ski holidays
DaveC,
[2¢] Big shovels and fat @rses on stiff narrow waist skis have short turn radii and will turn quickly but dislike straight-lining for all the reasons described above. They will also need very high skill and constant control to stay in the 'sweet-zone'

Narrower tips and tails on a softer flexing ski will turn in the same radius but be much more stable in a straight line. You will still need correct skills but the 'sweet-spot' is much wider.

This is a lesson learned hard (sic)

I love the Atomic SX series but have discovered that the binding position is very back and flatters a narrow piste range . . . they're horrible in bumps . . . but great on cord and hero snow . . . and not bad at all on tracked crud as long as you drive them. Additionally, because of their rearward weight bias, if you release the edges they will 'wash-out' with easy control. . . . A superb punter ski, but you will need to develop an ability understand and finesse your technique to ride other skis with the same level of 'expertise'.
ski holidays
Darth Murdoch, is 'thin' the over-riding criterion? I have some 45mm waisted Elans here...
latest report
DaveC wrote:
Ronald wrote:

I do get the concept of these skis needing to always be on edge, but it's the shape of the turn a 13m radius ski forces on you that annoys me. I can make a ski turn on a tighter radius by skiing it/bending it, so that's fine. I'd rather have a ski more comfortable in blasting down anything vaguley pisted in big arcs than small slalom piddling turns (for lack of a better way of expressing it!)

Okay, so look at a ski from the GS range. Cannot recommend you much though. I have 06/07 Stoeckli GS, which works for me as you describe: blast down in big arcs, and when you want them to turn tight, press and bend them in a shape they'll turn tighter.
snow conditions
comprex, that's what he asked for... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Picked up some Fischer RX9s in 175cm from Ski Bilek for an el cheapo price for what it's worth...
latest report
DaveC wrote:
Picked up some Fischer RX9s in 175cm from Ski Bilek for an el cheapo price for what it's worth...

I'd be interested in how you find these. Given you hated the RX8s, what made you think the RX9 would be different?
snow report
17m vs 13m turn radius basically.
snow report
DaveC, fun skis.

Nowhere nearly as thin as the 45mm Elans though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy