Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are fat skis a waste of time?

Poster: A snowHead
rayscoops wrote:
snowbunny, so what?

So did you think you were reading something genuine and unbiased. Plenty of advertorial you can read in ski magazines. I don't pay much attention to them, but it's a matter of personal choice.
Maybe you think that SH should be THE place to read ski related advertisements?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Now, what's better on a corrugated steep icy red or black first thing in the morning after a thaw-freeze? A reverse camber 110mm-waisted behemoth or a FIS-stock 65mm slalom ski? Oh look, the slalom ski. Horses for courses.

Well, people are always arguing that they can ski their SL skis in powder, it's fine, blah. So, yeah, horses for courses is exactly what I'm saying too. Luckily you can pick your skis depending on the days conditions NehNeh

I think I'd rather stick out the fat ski on an icy day rather than the SL ski on a powder day... As controversial as it's going to be, I'd pretty much have some K2 Seths or Volkl Mantras from this year as a one ski quiver if I had to, and the second pair would be reverse/reverse in an instant Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

In which case billy goating everything is for you, and the best thing to do this on is a pair of SL or GS skis.

FIS-stock GS skis are not for those who want to ski slow. In fact, they're a real handful unless you're doing 30mph+. They're just not great for doing it in deep wet snow (dry powder's okay) as they sink and one has to wrk very hard to keep the tips up. I wonder how many people have actually skied a properly tuned race-stock GS ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

As controversial as it's going to be, I'd pretty much have some K2 Seths or Volkl Mantras from this year as a one ski quiver if I had to

Were I skiing in North America, I'd probably go with a fatty as my everyday ski, but I do the majority of my skiing in Europe, I'd keep my 165cm race-stock slaloms and depending on conditions when I went out either take my 181 GS skis or a (to-be-purchased) big mountain ski like a Legend Pro XXL. Unfortunately there's no one ski that does everything better than the rest any more and you'll always have to compromise. As I have a racing background and love skiing hard injected pistes almost as much as bottomless pow I don't like skis that compromise on edge grip and rebound on the rock-hard stuff, so have to take a relative hit when it's wet and deep. Anyone want to start offering a ski caddy service? Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob, Have you noticed, that as soon as you have a choice, you always have the wrong ski with you ? snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hey parlor, i think you just about summed that one up for me! if , for example, i found myself skiing on a corrugated red then i'd probably be switch anyway. Fat skis allow me to have fun on chop, crust and other similar shitty conditions you'll find off piste once the sun has got on it. They allow me to explore the whole mountain and escape from the crowded pistes full of people with tight pants and race skis. I can ski fats on piste, i even enjoy it as they allow me to vary the terrain you ski if you see something you like. Fat skis have given me the opportunity to put some switch turns off-piste (and fall a lot!!) and bring some of my freestyle to different terrain, to up my game and go for bigger drops and faster speed, theyve brough a whole new attitude to the skiing community which i feel was lacking before and opened my mind to what is possible on 2 planks....even if i was skiing 2 weeks a year in europe i'd still be on something over 100mm under foot, so are fat skis a waste of time, hmm i think that depends on your attitude but for me I've never heard such a load of dangly bits!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sideshow_Bob,
Quote:

Anyone want to start offering a ski caddy service?

Megamum has already put this forward as a new business idea.

I wonder how many sHs actually own umpteen pairs of skis...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the_doc, snowHead

Hurtle, Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gratuitous quiver shot just for Hurtle Wink

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice Praxii
wink

Did you score them off someone on TGR?

What are the black ones with Dukes?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My old 185 Praxis from the smaller matte black run - sold them for the 195s. Got both pairs off TGR from gear swap Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC, oooh, lovely. Do you get much use out of them in Hull? wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm massively tempted to rock up to the Castleford freestyle night on the big pink ones Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:

Each to their own. Actually I shouldn't be advocating fat skis as it means that people that otherwise don't have the skills to ski off piste track my powder. Evil or Very Mad

Actually I'm going to vote with you on this one parlor. Nobody should think of going off piste without at least 110mm + underfoot and a pair of Marker Dukes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, the nordicas look a little out of place! I'm sure the locals at Castleford (90% on public enemy's est.) would be well impressed.
ski holidays
ooooohhhhh mmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn......praxis.................................gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr vvvvccccccccccccccccctttttttttttttttttttmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
snow report
snowbunny, on the few occasions I've been asked to write advertorial for a magazine it has involved being paid to write in an editorial style, but to say exactly what the client wants, without the objectivity that ought to be part and parcel of good journalism (that should set off a few people, but you probably know what I mean). Not sure on that basis that Rossignol would think I earned my lunch - yes, declaration of interest, they fed us on the test day - with the comments above.
I mentioned the DCs because no-one seems to have done so yet although they're the big initiative for next year from Rossi (who would be mortified to think their efforts will be written off as a gimmick) and I genuinely thought people might be interested to hear about them. I don't think the cable system is a gimmick, not because I'm convinced it works (one short day is not enough to go on) but because it looks more weird than sexy and I just can't imagine a designer coming up with the system as a sales-booster; it must add too much to the unit price for a start. And I thought the premise - reverse camber helps you ski deep snow but is crap on piste, so lets make a ski which can switch between the two - could have some legs.
Hmm... another name-check but fairly qualified comments... more fiendish advertorial...? Maybe I'm playing a game of double bluff where I appear to talk down the product I'm actually promoting, even as I stagger to the bank with my sack of cash. How can I put your mind at rest? Well, you may not believe me but I skied with an excellent Slovenian guide in early April who had some interesting Elans - fat but very lightweight. He liked them for going up and for coming down. Can't remember the model name, in fact I think they were secret prototypes as he tests skis for the manufacturer (and obviously can't be trusted) but they may be worth looking out for in a year or two.
There, I'm feeling much better now that two companies haven't paid me rather than just one.
ski holidays
davidof,

Agree..ban them..Laughing
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
You don't need fat skis to ride offpiste.

Thin skis are perfectly fine.

Not in any powder that goes up to your shins... I had several powder days this season with intermediate carver skis and they sank so much I was practically doing a manual the whole time in the powder just so I didn't get stuck... End result... tiiiiiiired legs.
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Not in any powder that goes up to your shins... I had several powder days this season with intermediate carver skis and they sank so much I was practically doing a manual the whole time in the powder just so I didn't get stuck... End result... tiiiiiiired legs.

It's a shame that no-one told Plake, Schmidt and Hattrup that they needed fat skis, then again, we would have needed to wait another 5+ years before being able to watch "The Blizzard of Aaaah's"
snow conditions
Methinks that FoulNative, is proclaiming his innocence quite loudly. then again, he's a journalist, so I'm convinced Little Angel
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

It's a shame that no-one told Plake, Schmidt and Hattrup that they needed fat skis, then again, we would have needed to wait another 5+ years before being able to watch "The Blizzard of Aaaah's"
Someone should have told Shane McConkey that! I spent many (really many) years skiing anything and everything on 205 skinny GS skis. Then I watched 'Immersion' and asked myself why am I working so hard when it could be so easy? Tried out a pair of Blizzard fatties in really deep heavy spring snow, and have never looked back since! Revelation! We should bear in mind that for most of us skiing is not a philosophy, it's about having fun Cool
latest report
Steilhang, amen
ski holidays
And even if it's a philosophy, who said that it has to be made more difficult than it has to be?
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
snowbunny wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Someone should have told Shane McConkey that! I spent many (really many) years skiing anything and everything on 205 skinny GS skis. Then I watched 'Immersion' and asked myself why am I working so hard when it could be so easy? Tried out a pair of Blizzard fatties in really deep heavy spring snow, and have never looked back since! Revelation! We should bear in mind that for most of us skiing is not a philosophy, it's about having fun Cool

I rode thighdeep powpow on slalom skis just a few weeks ago and it really was no effort.

Fat skis make life slightly easier but they are vastly overhyped.
snow report
Are fat skis a waste of time? no......................................
snow conditions
Whitegold, when and if I grow up I can only dream of being just like you Toofy Grin
snow report
Whitegold,
Quote:
I rode thighdeep powpow on slalom skis just a few weeks ago and it really was no effort
well done! I wonder though whether you would have found it quite so easy in chopped up crud, or breakable crust, or old heavy sludge...? Which, lets face facts, is what off piste skiing is almost always about here in Europe!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, Not in Cham. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, may you sink in it Evil or Very Mad
latest report
some of us like them some of us don't, why not leave it at that eh? Laughing
ski holidays
Steilhang, Toofy Grin Some times even with my 140mm i do.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
Whitegold,
Quote:
I rode thighdeep powpow on slalom skis just a few weeks ago and it really was no effort
well done! I wonder though whether you would have found it quite so easy in chopped up crud, or breakable crust, or old heavy sludge...? Which, lets face facts, is what off piste skiing is almost always about here in Europe!

I ski like the don in all conditions wink
ski holidays
Whitegold, How are those Head skis ? Did you get a 'snappy' replacement yet ?
latest report
Whitegold, I'm with you. I can't ever remember having an unenjoyable powder day on pencil-thin old-style GS skis. Modern all-mountain skis are everything you could wish for, their operational envelope being so big. You need to be able to ski any condition on any ski then you don't have to worry about quiver collecting, lining 'em up in the hall, getting the lighting right, snap, upload to the forum, discuss width, bore yourself silly, get a life etc etc.
ski holidays
Oh dear, I'm starting to agree with bothWhitegold, &Bode Swiller, at the same time. I'd better get out of here. Embarassed
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Whitegold, I'm with you. I can't ever remember having an unenjoyable powder day on pencil-thin old-style GS skis.

I've never had a bad powder day on carvers - but it's never been as good as the pure fun of blasting down things on my fatties. This argument will go on and on just like the helmet one anyway, so I'll stop encouraging it. I would agree that non-seasonaires don't need anything >100mm, but I'd equally argue they don't need anything <85mm either.
snow conditions
DaveC, I managed to learn to ski off piste with my volkls last year (sidecut 100-69-115) however, I felt I'd have more fun, and find it easier, with some fatter skis. (It pains me to say this). BUT, I wouldn't trade - I just need another pair. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

I wonder how many sHs actually own umpteen pairs of skis...

34 pair at last count.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy